Playstation backed studio Deviation games hit with layoffs

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
?
Sony canceled their game so Deviation Games (and Final Strike Games) had layoffs because the project is dead.
A Sony game got canceled. So it's a Sony story.
Are they part of the Sony studio you clearly missed the point on what I said. But whatever.

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
Are they part of the Sony studio you clearly missed the point on what I said. But whatever.
No but they were working on a Sony game under the PlayStation Studios banner. So of course Sony and "PlayStation Studios" was mentioned in the article.

Work-for-hire studio Deviation Games (3rd party studio) was working under the "PlayStation Studios" banner.
asdfsd.png

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
No but they were working on a Sony game under the PlayStation Studios banner. So of course Sony and "PlayStation Studios" was mentioned in the article.

Work-for-hire studio Deviation Games (3rd party studio) was working under the "PlayStation Studios" banner.
asdfsd.png
You win bro like chill still not Sony’s studio but go off!!
Uh Oh Thank You GIF by Tangina Stone

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

asdfsd.png

All games PlayStation commissions from other studios are under the PlayStation Studios banner, it doesn't mean they are PlayStation Studios. You need to try harder to spin this.

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
I think a better question is, why do you care?
Why shouldn't I? It's interesting.
You win bro...
I know.
All games PlayStation commissions from other studios are under the PlayStation Studios banner, it doesn't mean they are PlayStation Studios. You need to try harder to spin this.
They were working under the PS Studios banner. Because it was a Sony 1st party game. I never said Deviation Studio is a PlayStation Studio. Learn to read.
The question in this thread was "What that has to do with Sony? Just used it to get more clicks?". So I provided an answer to this question. Again and again. Literally no "spin" at all here. Not really hard to understand, right?

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Rivet

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I think a better question is, why do you care?

Coping mechanism.

No one gives a shit except Xbox fanboys if Sony or Nintendo close or terminate their partnerships with studios because they have a track record of producing great games. It’s called standards.

Microsoft on the other hand….

Seeing this discussion flooded on twitter. Xbox fanboys and their persecution complex.

Why is no one talking about Sony closing studios blah blah and why is Zelda being rated so high yet Redfall not since they both run like crap.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
How can the Firewalk, Haven and Deviation games be "safe bets"?
With Bungie and Naughty Dog we at least know they can make successful IPs and good multiplayer games or modes. With Firewalk, Haven and Deviation we know absolutely nothing. We haven't seen anything. All we know is that they're working on live service games. That's it. So there is still a big ? hovering over Haven and Firewalk. Let's see the games first.
We know they have many key devs who worked in many top performing shooters of the relatively recent years and/or in the fastest selling AAA new IPs and GaaS shooters ever.

So if Sony had to sign 2nd party AAA new IPs, or GaaS shooters, they were the best candidates. It's very difficult, maybe impossible, to find someone with a better CVs than them. Each one of these studios have a good number of people who had a key role in many top AAA titles, specially in top ones of these areas.

Is MLB and GT making them much money ”Gaas” wise?
Their GaaS are the most successful ever games in their series. Sony now also gets tons of money from Destiny 2 or their mobile game Fate/Grand Order, both GaaS too.

I'm sure there are some internal unannounced projects at PS Studios that got canceled too. It happens. This isn't something new. It happened before Sony's live service plans and it will continue to happen
Yes, it happened in basically all companies since the '70s, nothing new. When a game doesn't achieve enough level of quality to the point they can't improve it enough in a reasonable time and budget or if they see that the market changed too much during development, gets axed.

An example in 1980 there was a game for arcade machines that was going to be the first game fully designed and developed in Spain ("El Paracaidista"), but got cancelled because the game was in black & white and that year the arcade games in color appeared and super quickly dominated the market. They saw it was going to fail hard, so canned it and started to make a game in color. Another game for arcade games, in color became months later the first Spanish videogame ("Destroyer").

There are also tons of other games that now are known that were canned in the '80s (or any other decade) for arcade, microcomputers or consoles.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
They were working under the PS Studios banner. Because it was a Sony 1st party game.
Thats not what the term means. A first party game is one made by a studio the console owner itself also owns. So, famously, Donkey Kong Country wasn't a first party Nintendo game because they outsourced development to Rare, even though it used Nintendo IP.

You're right to mention that this is bad for Playstation, they were paying for a game and decided to cancel it instead. Whether they were doing it to avoid a bomb or to save money is irrelevant, its not the desired ending (game is good and comes out on schedule.) But its not that big a deal, really. Games get cancelled all the time, even those which have been in (pre)-development for three years.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
How can the Firewalk, Haven and Deviation games be "safe bets"?
With Bungie and Naughty Dog we at least know they can make successful IPs and good multiplayer games or modes. With Firewalk, Haven and Deviation we know absolutely nothing. We haven't seen anything. All we know is that they're working on live service games. That's it. So there is still a big ? hovering over Haven and Firewalk. Let's see the games first.
Pedigree. Consider that the talent behind the studio is a better indicator of quality. Jade Raymond and Haven is a safer bet than the shambolic state Rare found itself in without the Stamper brothers. Than Obsidian, reduced to Honey I Shrunk the Kids ripoffs. Than Lionhead studios, who were shut down. Than Arkane, whose reputation is in tatters after going from Prey to Redfall.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Why do you indulge a shill? You know why it's here and it's not to discuss things. It only watches for any negative news to spew bs and goes back into its cave until next time.

Reactions: Muddasar

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
Why shouldn't I? It's interesting.

I know.

They were working under the PS Studios banner. Because it was a Sony 1st party game. I never said Deviation Studio is a PlayStation Studio. Learn to read.
The question in this thread was "What that has to do with Sony? Just used it to get more clicks?". So I provided an answer to this question. Again and again. Literally no "spin" at all here. Not really hard to understand, right?
I was being sarcastic, I didn't mean it.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Literally no spin trying to imply time and again that somehow these studios prove some issue with sony, right? Common, you're not fooling anyone. Just stick to being the court jester.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I investigated a bit:
  • I couldn't confirm the exact magnitud of the layoff, but I spotted 24 Deviation workers who got fired. So minimum they fired two dozen people, can be way more.
  • Many Deviation workers who apparently aren't fired shown support messages to help former coworkers find a new job. Meaning, seems that at least some people will continue at Deviation, the studio doesn't seem to shut down.
  • The Chief HR & Operations Officer at Deviation Games is organizing a job fair to help the fired ones find a new job. This means that the number of fired people is at least relatively big, pretty likely way bigger than the two dozen people I could confirm.
  • Deviation hired several people (I spotted 6, could be more) a month ago, some of them in positions of the fired people and apparently these recent hirings aren't fired. So maybe in recent months hired people to replace the ones who were going to fire.
  • Right now they don't have open job positions
  • Right now Deviation has 134 people in LinkedIn, but pretty many of them still didn't update their position so are still counting as employees even if got fired, and the real number is lower.
  • Out of the Deviation people who mentioned the layoff, these are the ones I found that mentioned the size of the layoff. They mention "Major layoff", "massive layoff", "large group", "so many", "a lot of coworkers":
image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

TLDR: I confirmed that at least two dozen people were fired, seems that the number of people is big but not everybody has been fired (at least as of now), recent hirings were possibly partial replacements for recent firings but pretty likely not. Their project maybe got rebooted or cancelled. The studio doesn't shut down, at least for now.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Coping mechanism.

No one gives a shit except Xbox fanboys if Sony or Nintendo close or terminate their partnerships with studios because they have a track record of producing great games. It’s called standards.

Microsoft on the other hand….

Seeing this discussion flooded on twitter. Xbox fanboys and their persecution complex.

Why is no one talking about Sony closing studios blah blah and why is Zelda being rated so high yet Redfall not since they both run like crap.
Yep. If MS had any sense they would have overruled Bethesda and cancelled Redfall.

They honestly might be better off cancelling Fable (or bring in another studio to help Playground - not The Initiative 😁).

If Sony believe the game isn't good enough I trust their judgment.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
They honestly might be better off cancelling Fable (or bring in another studio to help Playground - not The Initiative 😁).
Basically all AAA and even AA have multiple support/outsourcing studios helping the lead studio of the game. In all companies, not only MS. And for all games, not only the ones with issues.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Basically all AAA and even AA have multiple support/outsourcing studios helping the lead studio of the game. In all companies, not only MS. And for all games, not only the ones with issues.
Yeah I know, but I'm not talking about support studio help, I'm talk somebody else to do the heavy lifting. Pre-production started in 2017 and by all accounts it's not going well at all.