Playstation backed studio Deviation games hit with layoffs

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
Did you actually play the game? It didn't deserve a 69. It's a mid to high 70s game even with all the problems it had.
As a big Dead Space fan I had to. Played it a little bit, it sucked, I hated it, I stopped.
They simply failed. Especially with such a huge budget.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Common sense. Final Strike Games worked as a support studio for Deviation Games. Sony canceled Deviation's game. So Final Strike Games fired over 40% of their employees and Deviation Games fired over 90 devs.
It's Joever.
Common sense is not your strong suit but well played on this one, good sir.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Hopefully Sony have backed the right horses with their GAAS games. Could end up a monumental waste of money

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Did you actually play the game? It didn't deserve a 69. It's a mid to high 70s game even with all the problems it had.
I liked it. Had the right atmosphere. Flawed and undercooked in many ways but much potential for a sequel

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
  • Pixelopus axed
  • Deviation game axed
  • Dreams axed
I wonder what else got cut during this evaluation. Looking at that list its not really surprising either. I didn’t expect Deviations game to be at the showcase which is bad, Dreams has been dead since launch, pixelopus just haven’t been very succcesufl for sony.

I hope media molecule can recover with something intersting. They make good games, they need to get back to making games. Even the games inside Dreams that they made were really good

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
More GaaS projects will be cut. It won't stop here. Sony came too late to the party. They can't just make a GaaS, it needs to be fresh and innovative to gain success in a saturated GaaS market. Good Luck Sony

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Hopefully Sony have backed the right horses with their GAAS games. Could end up a monumental waste of money
At least the Destiny 2, GT7 and MLB have been winning horses. The Bungie new IPs and TLOU seem very safe bets. Firewalk, Haven and Deviation looked like safe bets too, but apparently the Deviation horse ran in the opposite direction and hit a wall.

Today I'll all the day at a retrogaming event, but at night or tomorrow I'll investigate to see if I can see the magnitude of the layoff.

Is that the reason why Stig went to EA? If so I have questions of Shu's taste level. They lost a major talent
The game he was directing was canned, so he got butthurted and left. Or he got fired. There were some leaked artwork and felt a pretty generic space game, not the typical iconic Sony game. Their next game, GoW2018 instead was great.

The canned one I really liked was the Sucker Punch they were working on, which when canned/rebooted ended being GoT.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Destruction Allstars seemed like a game that might have been decent as an early access game, it seemed very technically polished, just needed to launch with more content.
It needed a different artstyle and different characters. It was ugly on the outside and the inside.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Going after GaaS is not a problem if it doesn't get in the way of them making single player games. Buying studios or pattering with other devs to make them is preferable to hoping their already owned studio will succeed in transitioning to GaaS.

What you don't want is to end up with a bunch of stuff like Bleeding Edge, Redfall, Grounded and Sea of Thieves in place of proper AAA single player games.

Destiny, MLB and GT are a solid foundation for their GaaS.

Last edited:

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
Destruction Allstars seemed like a game that might have been decent as an early access game, it seemed very technically polished, just needed to launch with more content.
This game was really polished. The modes and network side was not . I don't understand how they made a car game with no races mode.
I guess they didn't want to step on Gran Tourismo toes. drive club , motor storm , destruction derby (allstar was a offspring?)
All dead.

I don't know if this deviation team will make it through this gen.

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
At least the Destiny 2, GT7 and MLB have been winning horses. The Bungie new IPs and TLOU seem very safe bets. Firewalk, Haven and Deviation looked like safe bets too, but apparently the Deviation horse ran in the opposite direction and hit a wall.
How can the Firewalk, Haven and Deviation games be "safe bets"?
With Bungie and Naughty Dog we at least know they can make successful IPs and good multiplayer games or modes. With Firewalk, Haven and Deviation we know absolutely nothing. We haven't seen anything. All we know is that they're working on live service games. That's it. So there is still a big ? hovering over Haven and Firewalk. Let's see the games first.
Good, i am glad. I hope they fire jimbo, hulst and stop fucking around and will make SP games which are strongest PS side.
Why the hell would the fire Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst? SIE is making more money than ever before.
Because now they make games you don't like? Sony doesn't only make games for you. There are multiplayer fans out there. They want games too.
Going after GaaS is not a problem if it doesn't get in the way of them making single player games. Buying studios or pattering with other devs to make them is preferable hoping their already owned studio will succeed in transitioning to GaaS.

What you don't want is to end up with a bunch of stuff like Bleeding Edge, Redfall, Grounded and Sea of Thieves in place of proper AAA single player games.
That's why the have canceled Deviation's live service game and PixelOpus singleplayer game. Sony didn't like what they saw and canceled it. And I'm sure they have canceled even more. We just didn't hear anything about it. Deviation and PixelOpus were just easy to spot because we heard about the layoffs (Deviation and Final Strike Games) and team-closure (PixelOpus). I'm sure there are some internal unannounced projects at PS Studios that got canceled too. It happens. This isn't something new. It happened before Sony's live service plans and it will continue to happen. Bad/mediocre games are getting canceled. There are already enough Anthems and Redfalls out there.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Going after GaaS is not a problem if it doesn't get in the way of them making single player games.

Destiny, MLB and GT are a solid foundation for their GaaS.

Exactly.
Is MLB and GT making them much money ”Gaas” wise?

Even Deviation games said there will be single player story mode. Im fine with Gaas in multiplayer mode as long as we get great single player modes along with it, like GT7 etc or plenty of Single player games too

Reactions: Nhomnhom