PlayStation is “Reevaluating how we operate” due to recent layoffs. Twisted Metal Canceled due to layoffs! |UP| Guerilla loses 10% of its staff.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
No, what we wanted was for them to never fall for this trap to begin with. They leapt before they looked, and now employees are paying the price for it when it should be the execs that made these stupid decisions.

This is like when they started putting their games on PC. Naughty Dog wrote an entire article about how they'll start developing with PC in mind, and their entire development pipeline will be altered to cater to PC. And then their PC ports ended up selling horribly 🤷‍♂️ and now PS5 isn't the sole platform, which will make games take longer to make.

Sony had the perfect strategy last generation, and they upended all of that in chase of pennies. GAAS immediately exploded overnight and overtook single player investment almost instantly, before they even had a proven system or an actual plan.

1 year of horrible decisions made without much thought has sent SIE back 5+ years. Current Sony is just braindead with ZERO foresight and the employees and PS fans are paying for it.

GHW8NUeWIAAP3PL.jpg:large
The most cursed slide ever, tells the whole story and explains everything that is happening.

Extra sad that Naughty Dog of all studios is now the best example of everything that is wrong with these decisions.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
if they go day and date with PC is over for me, i won't purchase a PS6, PS5 will be my last PlayStation console, i won't pay for PS Plus anymore and i'll only buy their games on HEAVY Steam discounts (yes i'll pirate them day n date), i'm not a freaking clown to spend 70 dollars on a game, 500 dollars on a console and 160 dollars every year on PS Plus Premium to have mfs pirating the games i pay 70 for and not paying to play the same games i pay to play online, such as Helldivers, it's already bothering me

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
if they go day and date with PC is over for me, i won't purchase a PS6, PS5 will be my last PlayStation console, i won't pay for PS Plus anymore and i'll only buy their games on HEAVY Steam discounts (yes i'll pirate them day n date), i'm not a freaking clown to spend 70 dollars on a game, 500 dollars on a console and 160 dollars every year on PS Plus Premium to have mfs pirating the games i pay 70 for and not paying to play the same games i pay to play online, such as Helldivers, it's already bothering me

You say it like you'd be all pissed off at Playstation, but look at all the ways your life would be better. No more wasting money on PS Plus. Heavy discounts on games. Better hardware value for the money. Still playing all the games you want.

Why not just embrace it rather than making it sound like an [empty] threat?

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
You say it like you'd be all pissed off at Playstation, but look at all the ways your life would be better. No more wasting money on PS Plus. Heavy discounts on games. Better hardware value for the money. Still playing all the games you want.

oh i will embrace it, don't you worry

• thisistheway
Reactions: flaccidsnake

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022

No across the board and it would kill the brand.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
ONE example gets you nowhere.
Also it sold better where?
On PC...so like I said it would kill the brand.
Seems like Icon is OK with 60/40 in favor of Steam. I suspect when we get real numbers that'll be understated. That's not killing the brand, that's shoring up the brand. That's a shot of adrenaline to the brand.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022

Cos u only think with pc gamer perspective

As for playstation head ceo long term this will be bad if more and more ps gamer migrate to pc

Lots of money from console sales, game sales, ps plus subscribers will be gone

Reactions: AshHunter216

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Hermen again failing, the guy has no business being head of PS studios when Shu Yoshida exists

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
Seems like Icon is OK with 60/40 in favor of Steam. I suspect when we get real numbers that'll be understated. That's not killing the brand, that's shoring up the brand. That's a shot of adrenaline to the brand.
It's killing the brand.
The main business is with consoles.
ONE low priced GAAS game doing better on PC doesn't change this.
If we compare any other of the PlayStation ports success on PC vs consoles the console version DWARFS the PC version in sales.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
It's killing the brand.
The main business is with consoles.
ONE low priced GAAS game doing better on PC doesn't change this.
If we compare any other of the PlayStation ports success on PC vs consoles the console version DWARFS the PC version in sales.
killing the brand is making more and more expensive games for an audience that's not growing.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
There are no issues with Sony's projects. We saw behind the curtain with the Insomniac leaks and they are all running profits.

The problem is that they thought the COVID effect would last forever and instead industry wide growth stalled.

Now they, like everyone, are just firing people to appease the investment class. The fact they have a product generating billions is irrelevant, if it's not growing it's bad and if it's not growing then they need to fabricate margin growth by improving operating margins with sacking employees. It's a symptom of a sick society

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
Have a really bad feeling about the future of PlayStation and for the PC gamers all giddy about day and date, it’s a monkey paw. Games will get worse, because they will get worse they will sell less, because they sell less you will see PlayStation make games that cater to pc-mobile audience that spends all their neurons on awful live service games. Steam best seller chart is usually filled by garbage, the whole PC renaissance only happened once you started getting proper console games but once companies saw the money they could make by producing awful live service bs it was over.

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
killing the brand is making more and more expensive games for an audience that's not growing.
It's the biggest AAA audience available. If costs are not managed properly, nothing will be profitable.

But let's be clear PlayStation is profitable because of the healthy console business, selling 3rd party software and accessories.

So the answer might be just to shut down most of 1st party and keep 4-5 main studios open and fully exclusive.

It would be far more profitable.