PlayStation is “Reevaluating how we operate” due to recent layoffs. Twisted Metal Canceled due to layoffs! |UP| Guerilla loses 10% of its staff.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Wonder why all these multiplayer games are being cancelled when Helldivers 2 has been such a success
When Sony announced 12 live service games, it was obvious they're playing the odds a bit. Some of these games won't come out. If they do come out, they could flop miserably. If you get one hit out of 12, that's supposed to be able to make up for the other losses. That's the story of live service publishing in general. If you want to get into the business, you have to know that's how it works.

Still there's no reason to believe Concord, Marathon, or Fairgames are in development trouble.

I would really like to get my hands on that Last of Us multiplayer game. If ND doesn't want to get devoured by a live service development schedule, Sony should find someone to pass it off to. Contract Massive Entertainment or Battlestate or something. Don't just flush that whole effort down the toilet.

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
5th gaas game cancelled. Jimbo burned a lot of money on this gaas strategy

Reactions: Gamernyc78

DForce

Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022

Despite some recent scuttlebutt suggesting that Twisted Metal was close to release, the game was in early development and wasn't yet greenlit, per source

It was still in early development? Damn.

• Informative
Reactions: laynelane

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
So pissed about cancelling twisted metal, this was their only gaas I was looking forward.Car combat won't return from the graveyard then. This was the best case scenario for the genre to make a comeback.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
So pissed about cancelling twisted metal, this was their only gaas I was looking forward.Car combat won't return from the graveyard then. This was the best case scenario for the genre to make a comeback.
I was definitely looking forward to it.

Nix

14 Feb 2024
Eh I'm not sure if canceling GaaS games is the right call after Helldivers, you really only need one or two mega hits to set you good, maybe they weren't shaping up well who knows.

Also, Twisted Metal getting canceled really sucks, I feel like it could have done really well, there is nothing on the market like it like Helldivers.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Eh I'm not sure if canceling GaaS games is the right call after Helldivers, you really only need one or two mega hits to set you good, maybe they weren't shaping up well who knows.
They have helldivers 2, destiny 2, marathon, concord, fairgame. That's plenty, and from studios that can dedicate all of their time to those games.

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
We can look at the budgets and easily conclude that aside from Last of Us and Spider-Man PlayStation isn’t even betting that much on these projects. It’s just a bunch of bullshit.

Fuck these people

• thinking_hard
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
@Danja1187 I told you it has nothing to do with VR 🤦‍♂️ London Studios game in development was a gaas co op and Firesprite game in development was a gaas Twisted Metal. Your need to constantly spread anti VR FUD is making you look crazy
VR definitely at fault somehow 🤔

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
They have helldivers 2, destiny 2, marathon, concord, fairgame. That's plenty, and from studios that can dedicate all of their time to those games.
Yeah their issue was seemingly wanting to focus too much on tht, not tht thy have them. They have a few coming out and thts all thy need.

Nix

14 Feb 2024
Two of those games haven't released yet, as for Destiny I'm not sure if it's doing well currently.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Wish we got a leak of a new strategy If there even is one in place yet.