PlayStation moving Hard into Cloud gaming

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
I owned every single Playstation console minus the Vita, ou muppet.

And since I need to fucking spell it out, I'm talking about these financial metrics being the direct consequence of the PS4 generation.

Nice. When all else fails, resort to name calling. Good job champ. My fault. I should have known better than to engage.
I'll let you and your cohorts in this thread continue to spaz over "what could happen" or that "current decisions may change" the PS we enjoy today. Sony would not be the Sony that they are today had they not taken chances. Geez. Thank God you don't run a company. 🙄

Last edited:

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
And they never found any success doing it. In fact the reliance on streaming for PS3 backwards compatibility is by far the worst thing about the PS4 and the worst decision Sony made around that time.

You cloud streaming enthusiast think we all must have the same opinions, I don't like this direction at all and I'm not going to pretend I do because you feel insecure about it.
And they never found any success doing it. In fact the reliance on streaming for PS3 backwards compatibility is by far the worst thing about the PS4 and the worst decision Sony made around that time.

You cloud streaming enthusiast think we all must have the same opinions, I don't like this direction at all and I'm not going to pretend I do because you feel insecure about it.
Well yeah the tech was still new and barely anyone was getting invoked in it. Society changes and markets develop for things. In 2015 barely sht was being made from cloud gaming today it’s 2.5billion by 2025 it will triple. Cloud streaming enthusiast? I’ve never used stadia, never used gforce, certainly I’ve never used xcloud, I’ve streamed a few ps games mostly ps3 that doesn’t make me a cloud streaming enthusiast. I am 99% digital but I download and play my games on my ps5. Doesn’t matter if I like it or not there is a market for the tech.
Also the console market isn’t growing every gen the big 3 fight over the same group of customers. Sticking just to console is what has limited ps. Pc gaming, mobile have grown at faster rates for almost 2 decades and now cloud is gaming momentum it would be fcking stupid and short sighted of Sony to not get involved again at this stage. It’s a good thing ppl like Jim and Herman are making the decisions and not you ppl with limited scope and vision.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KickNamesTakeAss

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Well yeah the tech was still new and barely anyone was getting invoked in it. Society changes and markets develop for things. In 2015 barely sht was being made from cloud gaming today it’s 2.5billion by 2025 it will triple. Cloud streaming enthusiast? I’ve never used stadia, never used gforce, certainly I’ve never used xcloud, I’ve streamed a few ps games mostly ps3 that doesn’t make me a cloud streaming enthusiast. I am 99% digital but I download and play my games on my ps5. Doesn’t matter if I like it or not there is a market for the tech.
Also the console market isn’t growing every gen the big 3 fight over the same group of customers. Sticking just to console is what has limited ps. Pc gaming, mobile have grown at faster rates for almost 2 decades and now cloud is gaming momentum it would be fcking stupid and short sighted of Sony to not get involved again at this stage. It’s a good thing ppl like Jim and Herman are making the decisions and not you ppl with limited scope and vision.
I've used xCloud and GeforceNow. Cloud is boring and add nothing of value, it is no surprise that it is not going anywhere even with all these companies going all in on it.

It's obvious what they want, they want control and you paying subscriptions to access hardware instead of paying $400 every 8 years.

Reactions: JAHGamer

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
I've used xCloud and GeforceNow. Cloud is boring and add nothing of value, it is no surprise that it is not going anywhere even with all these companies going all in on it.

It's obvious what they want, they want control and you paying subscriptions to access hardware instead of paying $400 every 8 years.
🙄 ps5 disc was $500 at launch and for $100 of millions of gamers around the world even psying $400 isn’t an option + $60 annual to pay online and having to pay for internet and having to pay $70 per game. Lowering barriers to access means more ppl in the ecosystem and more with access to software. If you don’t like the option buying physical games or digital u can download and pay natively is going away anytime soon. But just because u don’t like a technology doesn’t mean other ppl don’t want it or it doesn’t add something to the gaming experience.

• haha
Reactions: JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
🙄 ps5 disc was $500 at launch and for $100 of millions of gamers around the world even psying $400 isn’t an option + $60 annual to pay online and having to pay for internet and having to pay $70 per game. Lowering barriers to access means more ppl in the ecosystem and more with access to software. If you don’t like the option buying physical games or digital u can download and pay natively is going away anytime soon. But just because u don’t like a technology doesn’t mean other ppl don’t want it or it doesn’t add something to the gaming experience.
Have you not been paying attention the last 5 years? 😭 Cloud will never fill the imaginary gap you guys think it will. After Stadias death and xCloud not seeing any growth since its inception, it should be painfully obvious no one is interested in the cloud. Wasting countless resources just chasing ghosts. Reaching more gamers through cloud is and always has been nothing but a pipe dream.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Have you not been paying attention the last 5 years? 😭 Cloud will never fill the imaginary gap you guys think it will. After Stadias death and xCloud not seeing any growth since its inception, it should be painfully obvious no one is interested in the cloud. Wasting countless resources just chasing ghosts. Reaching more gamers through cloud is and always has been nothing but a pipe dream🙄
Have you not been paying attention the last 5 years? 😭 Cloud will never fill the imaginary gap you guys think it will. After Stadias death and xCloud not seeing any growth since its inception, it should be painfully obvious no one is interested in the cloud. Wasting countless resources just chasing ghosts. Reaching more gamers through cloud is and always has been nothing but a pipe 🙄 dude just sto
Have you not been paying attention the last 5 years? 😭 Cloud will never fill the imaginary gap you guys think it will. After Stadias death and xCloud not seeing any growth since its inception, it should be painfully obvious no one is interested in the cloud. Wasting countless resources just chasing ghosts. Reaching more gamers through cloud is and always has been nothing but a pipe dream.
🙄 you seem like the one who has been paying attention. 2 generations ago digital was virtually nothing now digital represents the vast majority of all games purchase. Sub services were virtually nothing once now Xbox has 25-29mil ppl psplus has 47 million, Nintendo online has 32-36million. We’ve had game consoles that haven’t had as many sales than ppl paying for sub subserves today.
Technology evolves so do markets. We went from couch co-op to online multiplayer to massive shared experiences like Fornite. Because something wasn’t possible before isn’t possible now doesn’t mean it won’t be so in the future. “ cloud will never be main stream or popular” ppl saying such absolute bs have no idea what they r talking about. Streaming happened with every kind of media humans consume it will happen with gaming in our life times. Nothing u say or do will change that only thing holding the gaming back is the technological barriers.
“Cloud nothing seeing any growth?” Show me a data chart with no cloud growth? Every data chart I’ve seen shows the opposite. Cloud gaming generated $158million in revenue in 2019. In 2023 it’s up to $3.2 billion. That isn’t growth? A lot of u guys like to speak based on your emotions rather than the facts.

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
🙄 you seem like the one who has been paying attention. 2 generations ago digital was virtually nothing now digital represents the vast majority of all games purchase. Sub services were virtually nothing once now Xbox has 25-29mil ppl psplus has 47 million, Nintendo online has 32-36million. We’ve had game consoles that haven’t had as many sales than ppl paying for sub subserves today.
Technology evolves so do markets. We went from couch co-op to online multiplayer to massive shared experiences like Fornite. Because something wasn’t possible before isn’t possible now doesn’t mean it won’t be so in the future. “ cloud will never be main stream or popular” ppl saying such absolute bs have no idea what they r talking about. Streaming happened with every kind of media humans consume it will happen with gaming in our life times. Nothing u say or do will change that only thing holding the gaming back is the technological barriers.
“Cloud nothing seeing any growth?” Show me a data chart with no cloud growth? Every data chart I’ve seen shows the opposite. Cloud gaming generated $158million in revenue in 2019. In 2023 it’s up to $3.2 billion. That isn’t growth? A lot of u guys like to speak based on your emotions rather than the facts.

This. Its a shame that a few adamant users in this thread cannot see that. Sony is playing the right move in not ending up like companies like Blockbuster Video who failed to plan for the future.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
So they can't pay $400 every 8 years but they can pay monthly to play as well as pay for pretty decent and reliable internet with no datacap? :rolleyes:

Are you going to play over the Cloud? People always speak on behalf on some guy in India or Brazil that is going to play over the cloud. I'm from Brazil and I just don't see these people waiting for cloud gaming around anywhere.

Think cloud gaming is this big untapped market is just extremely naive, that market was already tapped by mobile gaming, people that aren't interested enough to buy a console or a PC don't care about traditional gaming.

"Hey dude have you played Elden Ring/Zelda ToTK/Final Fantasy XVI/Hogwarts/CoD etc?"
"No bro, I'm waiting for the option to pay monthly so I can play it over the cloud on my TV after I also buy a $50 gamepad and a new TV just to try it."

Last edited:

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
So they can't pay $400 every 8 years but they can pay monthly to play as well as pay for pretty decent and reliable internet with no datacap? :rolleyes:

Are you going to play over the Cloud? People always speak on behalf on some guy in India or Brazil that is going to play over the cloud. I'm from Brazil and I just don't see these people waiting for cloud gaming around anywhere.

Think cloud gaming is this big untapped market is just extremely naive, that market was already tapped by mobile gaming, people that aren't interested enough to buy a console or a PC don't care about traditional gaming.

"Hey dude have you played Elden Ring/Zelda ToTK/Final Fantasy XVI/Hogwarts/CoD etc?"
"No bro, I'm waiting for the option to pay monthly so I can play it over the cloud on my TV after I also buy a $50 gamepad and a new TV just to try it."
On top of paying $500 for a disc ps5 + $300 for switch + $60x for 8yrs+ =$480+ $70 for cod +$70 for totk+ $70 Hogwarts + internet. Yeah man that’s not expensive at all that’s way cheaper than a just paying for streaming subscription + internet 🙄 I see ppl buying a switch to play totk that’s $300+ $70 to play one game. Let’s say they just want to play the game beat it and never touch a switch again. With streaming they could do that for a fraction of the cost. The math is clearly on my side.
Why r u speaking for ppl in India or Brazil where the average person can’t even afford a ps5? Are u trying to argue price of hardware is not a barrier to entry ? Because that’s a really silly argument and I can drown u out with a mountain of data that is. Xbox made huge strides in places like Brazil during the 7th gen because a ps3 was 3x the price of an Xbox. We are talking about $450 usd vs $1400 usd. If the 10s of millions of gamers in countries could side step the need the hardware a significant portion of them would.

• haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
On top of paying $500 for a disc ps5 + $300 for switch + $60x for 8yrs+ =$480+ $70 for cod +$70 for totk+ $70 Hogwarts + internet. Yeah man that’s not expensive at all that’s way cheaper than a just paying for streaming subscription + internet 🙄 I see ppl buying a switch to play totk that’s $300+ $70 to play one game. Let’s say they just want to play the game beat it and never touch a switch again. With streaming they could do that for a fraction of the cost. The math is clearly on my side.
Why r u speaking for ppl in India or Brazil where the average person can’t even afford a ps5? Are u trying to argue price of hardware is not a barrier to entry ? Because that’s a really silly argument and I can drown u out with a mountain of data that is. Xbox made huge strides in places like Brazil during the 7th gen because a ps3 was 3x the price of an Xbox. We are talking about $450 usd vs $1400 usd. If the 10s of millions of gamers in countries could side step the need the hardware a significant portion of them would.
I'm from Brazil, Xbox360 only made any stride in Brazil because it was easy to pirate games in it, once that wasn't a factor Sony crushed again, even now with far cheaper Xbox options and the Gamepass push PlayStation is still crushing Xbox here.

You think casuals that would be out there waiting to play games aren't doing so because they think they would need to own all console? That makes no sense.

There aren't even enough casuals interested in traditional game for the Series S to be a success.

There is a reason why Stadia, xCloud, PlayStationNow, etc, all flopped.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
I'm from Brazil, Xbox360 only made any stride in Brazil because it was easy to pirate games in it, once that wasn't a factor Sony crushed again, even now with far cheaper Xbox options and the Gamepass push PlayStation is still crushing Xbox here.

You think casuals that would be out there waiting to play games aren't doing so because they think they would need to own all console? That makes no sense.

There aren't even enough casuals interested in traditional game for the Series S to be a success.

There is a reason why Stadia, xCloud, PlayStationNow, etc, all flopped.
That’s bs! Ppl weren’t willing to spend more than there monthly salary on a ps3. If casuals could play Spider-Man 2 on their tv for $15 a month and zero difference playing natively on a console u think they wouldn’t take the opportunity? Dude just stop.
Stadia flopped because it had no games and u still had to buy your own. Psnow had 3 million active users , stadia 5 million, xcloud 10. That’s 18 million ppl who were interested in streaming. Xbox and stadia are sht if a real gaming brand like ps had a viable streaming service with no difference in latency it would be a much bigger success.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
"These people would ask for non-subscription heated seats if they had a chance back then"

Comparing cloud gaming to the automobile is frankly delusional
Listen ppl arguing about cloud never going to be a thing can keep crying it’s literally unfolding as a thing right now it’s alrdy a multi billion dollar part of gaming. U guys are arguing against reality. 5 yrs ago digital was about half of the market now it’s 80%. Lots of games don’t even release physical Verizon’s and we have digital consoles and ones with optional hard drives are coming. Streaming is here to stay and it’s growing.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
That’s bs! Ppl weren’t willing to spend more than there monthly salary on a ps3. If casuals could play Spider-Man 2 on their tv for $15 a month and zero difference playing natively on a console u think they wouldn’t take the opportunity? Dude just stop.
Stadia flopped because it had no games and u still had to buy your own. Psnow had 3 million active users , stadia 5 million, xcloud 10. That’s 18 million ppl who were interested in streaming. Xbox and stadia are sht if a real gaming brand like ps had a viable streaming service with no difference in latency it would be a much bigger success.
So latency was holing back PSNow from being a massive success? :ROFLMAO:

You hardcore cloud enthusiasts are hilarious, usually guys that don't even play on cloud themselves.

You keep falling for the same mistake again and again of thinking the cloud future is just around the corner of that it's inevitable.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar and JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Yet ANOTHER big Cloud gaming service bites the dust. Btw this is one of the companies that signed a 10 year deal with Microsoft. It definitely won’t be the last to die. I told you guys, anything Xbox is doing, Sony should stay FAR AWAY from. You guys still believe “Sony HAS TO DO IT!!!” 🤦‍♂️

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
ANOTHER big Cloud gaming service
I doubt it would be big, it's the first time I heard about it.

Edit: they said to have achieved 500K users. Not MAU, users.

Also, the note isn't very clear. I don't know if they mean that are shutting down the service or that they end the beta and release the 'final' non-beta version.

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
I doubt it would be big, it's the first time I heard about it.

Edit: they said to have achieved 500K users. Not MAU, users.

Also, the note isn't very clear. I don't know if they mean that are shutting down the service or that they end the beta and release the 'final' non-beta version.
its unclear but they are giving everyone refunds who bought their lifetime memberships in advance 👀 similar to Stadia. I don’t know why they’d give money back if it was just the beta ending. They’re big for cloud standards, which is why msft made a deal with them