PlayStation moving Hard into Cloud gaming

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Considering they have been working for cloud gaming since before they bought Gaikkai for close to 400million, Im not surprised.

People need to realise Sony has been working on Cloud and Online games ( Gaas ) way before anyone made it a FUD topic. Sony has had An online gaming division before PS3, get over it

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Here in Brazil an RX 7600 cost less than half the price of a PS5. It has close to 22TFs. The RTX 4060 costs about the same.

I'm not saying that PS5 hardware is bad or anything, I think it's still good value but not as good like it was 2/3 years ago when PC parts had their prices inflated. For me personally, since I would have to have a decent PC anyway it's only about the price of the GPU (and even my old GPU actually already plays most games fine).

It's not about Xbox. Who cares about Xbox? It has been dead for 10 years as far as I'm concerned. The problems with PlayStation are related to the shift in identity/priorities. MS does damage with their acquisitions but by the time nextgen comes out there is a decent chance Xbox won't even be around.

Being better than Xbox is not an acceptable standard of quality.
Jsyk 22tf for rdna 3 is meaningless. The 7600 is weaker than the ps5 except in raytracing.

• haha
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Jsyk 22tf for rdna 3 is meaningless. The 7600 is weaker than the ps5 except in raytracing.
Stop, PS5 is closer to a 6600 XT while both the RX 7600 and RTX 4060 will beat it.

I just used the TFs measurement because that is usually what console manufacture like to use and because the previous generation 6600 XT that also uses RDNA2 already had more TFs than the PS5.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Stop, PS5 is closer to a 6600 XT while both the RX 7600 and RTX 4060 will beat it.

I just used the TFs measurement because that is usually what console manufacture like to use and because the previous generation 6600 XT that also uses RDNA2 already had more TFs than the PS5.
nah. 6600xt/7600 only has a 128 bit bus, which limits it severely at 4k. ps5 is 256 bit bus. The TF measure is absolutely pointless and you know it. 7600 is only 10% faster than a 6600xt and the difference at 4k which ps5 is designed for the ps5 will beat it due to the bus width

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
nah. 6600xt/7600 only has a 128 bit bus, which limits it severely at 4k. ps5 is 256 bit bus. The TF measure is absolutely pointless and you know it. 7600 is only 10% faster than a 6600xt and the difference at 4k which ps5 is designed for the ps5 will beat it due to the bus width
Well, I'm not talking strictly about native 4K games, hard to think anyone would go for 4K/30 fps on PC. The average resolution for PS5 is probably closer to 1440p with plenty of games running at 1080p internal resolution specially on higher framerate modes.

I play my PC games at 1080p anyway at most I would use reconstructed 4K if I was to connect it to my TV. PS5 still offers good value but PC isn't far behind (or even behind at all depending on how you see it) like it was a few years ago with the inflated prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Just had a thought, assuming that the Q lite uses andriod OS, maybe it incorporates stadia tech as well since that is also from google?

• Informative
Reactions: Kokoloko

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I remember hearing the same about F2P, GaaS, dlc, digital games, disk games instead of cartridges, mobile games, games with 3d visuals (not pixel art), dual analogs, consoles...

I bet in maximum 10-15 years I think you and most people in this thread saying they don't like stream or that ever will want to use it will be playing mainly via streaming.
Everything on that list but polygons and dual analogs is shit, hope that helps. Yes even disk games, they won based on priced but are otherwise way worse than carts/chips.

• fire
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I bet in maximum 10-15 years I think you and most people in this thread saying they don't like stream or that ever will want to use it will be playing mainly via streaming.
That's was said 15 years ago already. Onlive is from 2009 and Gaikai is from 2008.

It comes from a misconception that cloud is somehow better suited for everything and that local hardware doesn't also evolve extremely fast.

Games are not movies and music, you can't buffer minutes of game for when you inevitably lose connection or it slows down, distance from the server is important an requires massive investment on infrastructure. Not to mention that the people actually interested in playing non-mobile game do not mind paying for their hardware.

We are still talking about cloud streaming for just playing the same games, all those promises for cloud processing, hybrid rendering, etc, that were so hyped up are not even mentioned anymore.

Last edited:

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Just had a thought, assuming that the Q lite uses andriod OS, maybe it incorporates stadia tech as well since that is also from google?
Stadia isn't just the client app that runs on android, it's the backend infrastructure used to serve the games.

Alot more work would be needed i'd think then just changes to the Q software.

I always though stadia would crash and burn and sony would use the tech or buy it wholesale to run cloud gaming.

But looks like they are already catching up to stadia with 4k streaming.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
And this is why PlayStation and it's fanbase have been on the decline....now they're arguing about who's subscription service is better, who's PC ports are more popular, who has the better cloud infrastructure 🤦‍♂️.....RIP to my former favorite platform 😢

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
And this is why PlayStation and it's fanbase have been on the decline....now they're arguing about who's subscription service is better, who's PC ports are more popular, who has the better cloud infrastructure 🤦‍♂️.....RIP to my former favorite platform 😢
What decline?

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Why did I not get a notification of you quoting me? Strange.

Anyway, you gotta remember that Sony's not new to cloud gaming. In fact, they've been doing it before Xbox. This is investing in that infrastructure. Sony has always invested in future tech. Just look at the PSVR2. They've always kept up with the times.

As long as I can just buy my games and play them locally, it's good. And I honestly don't think Sony will replace traditional gaming with cloud. It;s what MS wants since they can;t sell hardware. As long as it's optional, keeping up with the times is fine.
While it's an alternative I have no issue with it. Can't see it getting any serious uptake over the next decade anyway.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023

I find all the simping for Baldurs gate a bit cringeworthy. FFXVI I get it, even if the game is mid, it's part of Playstations identity in a way, but Baldurs gate of all games... a PC game through and through!! Haven't seen much simping or chest bumping for the game on PC, just enjoy it and that's it.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Decline in your fantasy world, maybe. Because the facts say the opposite:
  • PS5 is on track to become again the fastest selling PS console very soon
  • Their division is making record revenue for any console maker in gaming history
  • Their division is making record profit for any high end console makers, and in a few years maybe also more than Nintendo, too (whenever Sony decides to make a pause of making huge investments in every area)
  • They have record player engagement in the console and social media
  • They have record ARPU
  • They have record MAU, according to MS doubling the Xbox MAU
  • The most recent games with Sony of Quantic Dream, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Sony Santa Monica, Bluepoint, Guerrilla, Polyphony, Kojima already are, or are in track to be, the best selling or fastest selling games in the history of their studio and their franchise
  • They are also winning more awards than they ever did before, with TLOU2 they even broke the record of the biggest amount of GOTY awards for a game in gaming history
  • Record amount of game subbers for any console maker
  • Record amount game subs revenue for any console maker
  • Record accesory revenue
  • PC yearly revenue multi year growth with a 133% CAGR, growing their fanbase
  • Multiple movie or tv show adaptations being big hits, growing their fanbase

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Here in Brazil an RX 7600 cost less than half the price of a PS5. It has close to 22TFs. The RTX 4060 costs about the same.

I'm not saying that PS5 hardware is bad or anything, I think it's still good value but not as good like it was 2/3 years ago when PC parts had their prices inflated. For me personally, since I would have to have a decent PC anyway it's only about the price of the GPU (and even my old GPU actually already plays most games fine).

It's not about Xbox. Who cares about Xbox? It has been dead for 10 years as far as I'm concerned. The problems with PlayStation are related to the shift in identity/priorities. MS does damage with their acquisitions but by the time nextgen comes out there is a decent chance Xbox won't even be around.

Being better than Xbox is not an acceptable standard of quality.

Porra!

Come on Jim, compete!