PlayStation Plus: opinions, game suggestions, whishes for the future and news!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Having currently lapsed both my PS+/PSNow subscriptions...
"PS Plus Premium" just seems soo ''far too little, far too late''.

Time Limited Game Trials

I just don't care about these. We had old XBLA/XBL indy games like Shadow Complex, where they carried the save data progress and maybe acheivements into the full game when you bought it, right? Why's this old-ass idea resurfaced? Granted, it might be a time limit now opposed to just a few levels ('TLGT' vs 'Demo', perhaps?) but it still seems utterly pointless. Like, whom are they realistically for? I already know if I wanna buy a game or not, if I need it day 1 and not be cool with waiting. I have PS SharePlay if a friend buys it, or I have things like Youtube videos where I can hear people whom I already subscribe-to's opinion/reactions or watch their Let's Play.

PS4/PS5 Game Streaming
PS3 BC - is still stream-only.

Meh, streaming is inferior to native downloads. Can make games unplayable via too much lag (Mortal Kombat 9 on UK PSNow streaming-only). I doubt PS4/PS5 assets are going to stream or run any smoother than streaming PS3 games, which was always ass.
People have complained loudly about lack of BC status since the first revision of the USA PS3 when they took it away from th ehardware. Stream-only BC? Nah, miss me with that shit. We already have it as PSNow, and it sucks ass.

PS1/2/PSP BC - is downloadable or streamable.
1 month - $17.99 - €16.99 - £13.49
3 months - $49.99 - €49.99 - £39.99
12 months - $119.99 - €119.99 - £99.99

You know... if they beefed-up the PS1/PS2 Classics in the PStore, I'd actually RE-PURCHASE RE2 PS1 to sit alongside RE2 Remake on my PS5 (for example). I'd re-purchase it for a reasonable price tag, as opposed to this nebulous £13.49 for a month access when I get the urge to play it; or £99 to have the service sat there year-round, probably not being used a lot of the time (depending on what games it offers for PS1/2 downloading). But therein lies the problem. I'd be paying that monthly/reoccuringly. I'm not paying the other monthly rates either, for the sake of PS1/2 games, which is all I'm interested in.

Reactions: arvfab

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Not sure if I'll go beyond essentials. I like to buy my games physical and don't really want to feed into the subscription service for streaming deal.

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I did test some games, these are my first impressions:
  • There are many games I want to play, many of them some games I didn't buy because I was busy playing other ones or because didn't appeal enough to me to buy them, but if they are included here I'll play them
  • CRT filter for PS1 games look so good on my tv, better than I expected
  • Here in Spain Syphon Filter had dubs in Spanish (one of the first games to do so), and they are back for its PS+ version
  • I played a bit Darkstalkers Resurrection (PS3 game) via streaming and its input lag and the visuals looked great. Makes me wonder if they improved the cloud gaming or if they added additional servers and I now have one nearby
  • Started to play Guardians of the Galaxy. I loved its visuals, OST, story/cinematics and jokes. In the first hour or so combat and enemy design feels very poor but other than that the game looks great. Will play more tonight

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I did test some games, these are my first impressions:
  • There are many games I want to play, many of them some games I didn't buy because I was busy playing other ones or because didn't appeal enough to me to buy them, but if they are included here I'll play them
  • CRT filter for PS1 games look so good on my tv, better than I expected
  • Here in Spain Syphon Filter had dubs in Spanish (one of the first games to do so), and they are back for its PS+ version
  • I played a bit Darkstalkers Resurrection (PS3 game) via streaming and its input lag and the visuals looked great. Makes me wonder if they improved the cloud gaming or if they added additional servers and I now have one nearby
  • Started to play Guardians of the Galaxy, I loved its visuals, OST, story/cinematics and jokes. In the first hour or so combat and enemy design feels very poor but other than that the game looks great. Will play more tonight

Nice looking forward subbing next week

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
We had old XBLA/XBL indy games like Shadow Complex, where they carried the save data progress and maybe acheivements into the full game when you bought it, right?
Yes, the time limited full game trials work as they did work when they debuted in PS Plus back in 2010: your progress (including trophies) carries to the full game if you buy it. Because you're playing the normal full game, but only with a OS based timer limiting it. They aren't a separate demo.

Why's this old-ass idea resurfaced? Granted, it might be a time limit now opposed to just a few levels ('TLGT' vs 'Demo', perhaps?) but it still seems utterly pointless. Like, whom are they realistically for? I already know if I wanna buy a game or not, if I need it day 1 and not be cool with waiting. I have PS SharePlay if a friend buys it, or I have things like Youtube videos where I can hear people whom I already subscribe-to's opinion/reactions or watch their Let's Play.

PS4/PS5 Game Streaming
PS3 BC - is still stream-only.

Meh, streaming is inferior to native downloads. Can make games unplayable via too much lag (Mortal Kombat 9 on UK PSNow streaming-only). I doubt PS4/PS5 assets are going to stream or run any smoother than streaming PS3 games, which was always ass.
I played Darkstalkers Resurrection today and it felt great in both visuals and input lag. I think they improved it. Maybe it's because I don't use wifi and have a good fiber connection, and probably they added more servers and have one close to my home.

The "classics collection" of PS Plus Premium has a section of remasters and remakes of PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP and Vita games for PS4 and PS5. These games, like the PS4 and PS5 games included in the extra tier, or the PS1/PSP/PS2 emulated games can be both downloaded or streamed.

This means PS+ has many remasters or remakes of PS3 games that can be downloaded and played in PS4 or PS5.

People have complained loudly about lack of BC status since the first revision of the USA PS3 when they took it away from th ehardware. Stream-only BC? Nah, miss me with that shit. We already have it as PSNow, and it sucks ass.

PS1/2/PSP BC - is downloadable or streamable.
1 month - $17.99 - €16.99 - £13.49
3 months - $49.99 - €49.99 - £39.99
12 months - $119.99 - €119.99 - £99.99

You know... if they beefed-up the PS1/PS2 Classics in the PStore, I'd actually RE-PURCHASE RE2 PS1 to sit alongside RE2 Remake on my PS5 (for example). I'd re-purchase it for a reasonable price tag, as opposed to this nebulous £13.49 for a month access when I get the urge to play it; or £99 to have the service sat there year-round, probably not being used a lot of the time (depending on what games it offers for PS1/2 downloading). But therein lies the problem. I'd be paying that monthly/reoccuringly. I'm not paying the other monthly rates either, for the sake of PS1/2 games, which is all I'm interested in.
Digital PS1 and PSP games you bought in PSP, Vita or PS3 that have been emulated for PS4/PS5 (so, the one that are in PS+ Premium) can be downloaded and played on PS4 and PS5 at no extra cost, you don't even need to have PS Plus or to buy them again. You just search them in the store and download them on the new console for free, as happened with the PS1 games between PSP, Vita and PS3. For launch they only have a few games, but they'll keep adding more ovr time.

They did remove its hardware based PS2 BC in PS3 in newer SKUs because it was too expensive. PS4 and PS5 aren't BC with PS3 because it's impossible according to the dev of the main PS3 emulator and a Sony ICE Team & Insomniac engine programmer from the PS3 age. PS5 is full BC with PS4. PS4 and PS5 are now becoming BC with digital PS1 and PSP games, even if with a limited amount of games that over time will grow, like in Xbox.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Digital PS1 and PSP games you bought in PSP, Vita or PS3 that have been emulated for PS4/PS5 (so, the one that are in PS+ Premium) can be downloaded and played on PS4 and PS5 at no extra cost, you don't even need to have PS Plus or to buy them again. You just search them in the store and download them on the new console for free, as happened with the PS1 games between PSP, Vita and PS3. For launch they only have a few games, but they'll keep adding more ovr time.

Can the PS1 games be bought separately like rumoured?

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Can the PS1 games be bought separately like rumoured?
Yes. But if you already bought these games in PS3/PSP/Vita you should be able to download them from the store and play them on PS4 or PS5 for free. No need to be subscribed to PS+ or to buy them again.

Good point... I noticed some PS4 games like FarCry4 are randomly part of Premium and not extra, kinda confusing!
The "classics collection" included in Premium has a section of "remasters" (also includes remakes and ports/crossgen games) of PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP and Vita games for PS4 and PS5. They are downloadable and stremeable. By doing this there are PS3 games like Far Cry 4 downloadable on PS4 and PS5.

There are a few exceptions, because the remakes of SotC or Demon's Souls, and the remasters of the FF games are included in Extra.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Cragarmi

Moderator- From the United Kingdom
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

It's great they are going to do this, but why could they not have already done so by the European launch? They knew about the issue as they tried to improve it with a weird ghosting patch. Oh well I've already upgraded to Extra for my remaining term, and the one thing that tipped that balance was not having access to NTSC versions of PS1/2 games.

yewles1

21 Jun 2022
Indianapolis, IN, USA
PSN ID
yewyew1
200.gif
Fish Laser GIF

• sad
  • haha
Reactions: Sircaw and Cragarmi

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
The PS PLUS / PSTORE on PS5 is a fucking joke. So messy from a content perspective.

Then I'm Literally being cycling-round the same store page reloads as I try to find info/game libraries on new PS PLUS.

Getting to the vestigial little "search menu" on the top of a PStore page is a chore. Pressing Triangle does it, instead of trying to navigate up and down to that menu with dpad.

Anyone good with photoshop or something? If I were more competent id mockup a new dashboard/store layout. That idea something that someone would be interested in via commission/patreon?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
@Yurinka Here is the new PSPlus advert (Why be one thing when you can be everything?) if you wanted to add it to your OP.

What in the crap was that?

I don't care if he was "lame", that was the gimmick. His ads at least showed gameplay or explained things about the console...

And he'd do so much better public-facing than Ryan/Hulst/disembodied SOP voiceover girl.

#BringBackKevinButler, VP of Course Correction ;)

• haha
Reactions: Bryank75

balrogboy

21 Jun 2022
Hey I just want everyones opinion, it just went live here and I see Premium is on some random games...

Is Extra the best value or should I go Premium?

What has been your experience so far?
I'll get premium just because since my current ps+ subscription goes on just till november, the price bump inst that high and its super worth it for he classic ps1 games.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I'll get premium just because since my current ps+ subscription goes on just till november, the price bump inst that high and its super worth it for he classic ps1 games.

I think I need to get the upgrade to premium...there is actually a lot of stuff not in extra...I don't know if that is an accident or on purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.