PlayStation Q1 FY2023 3.3 million PS5 sold

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Posted in Acquisitions Thread but again:

PlayStation is Sony biggest money maker by far. There is no way in hell Sony will abandon this. Sony may be cheap sometimes but if it’s required to spend big cash to protect their business, they will do so.
Doom & Gloom Mongers should really stop with this PlayStation is dying preaching.
Hence why Hiroki Totoki said they will acquire IPs, one day after FTC PI case was denied.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Mochizuki Should do the xbox shill thing, where he changes up and says something super positive about playstation or a playstation exclusive one quarter in order to make people believe he’s actually impartial, its starting to look bad.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I'm not liking what I'm seeing, especially what's on the following document.

• They are not providing PSVR2 hardware sales. Going by revenue, it seems like it was an absolute failure
  • They did not provide a PS Plus subscription update, first time since I remember reading these
  • 3.3M consoles sold in Q1 is quite frankly insufficient for a 25M sale target FY. The recent discounts probably point to them knowing they'll have trouble hitting this number (as well as wanting to get rid of stock ahead of the PS5 Slim)
Also, not sure if anybody bothered to check, but Sony is already expecting changes in the release of first-party games:

Game & Network Services Segment (G&NS Segment)

OI: Remains unchanged from April forecast
/ Adjusted OIBDA: 10 bln yen (3%) upward revision
·(+) Impact of increase in sales of non-first-party titles including add-on content
·(+) Decrease in costs*3
·(ー) Deterioration in profitability of PlayStation®5 hardware mainly due to
changes in promotions by geographic region and the sales channel mix
·(ー) Impact of changes in the launch dates of a portion of first-party titles

Make your own conclusions, especially around PS+ numbers missing and changes to their first-party title releases causing a negative impact, meaning there were already delays, probably related to Hermen and Jim sticking every single A team on shitty live-service kiddy games.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Does Bungie have an own report or how comes I didn't see (or maybe I missed it?) any impact on revenue/profit?

PlayStation is Sony biggest money maker by far. There is no way in hell Sony will abandon this. Sony may be cheap sometimes but if it’s required to spend big cash to protect their business, they will do so.
Doom & Gloom Mongers should really stop with this PlayStation is dying preaching.
Hence why Hiroki Totoki said they will acquire IPs, one day after FTC PI case was denied.

And aren't Mobile Games revenue reported in the Music group?

Interesting... Only game in that list they bothered to mention a PC release is Horizon.

How bad are the other games selling on PC?

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

• They are not providing PSVR2 hardware sales. Going by revenue, it seems like it was an absolute failure
  • They did not provide a PS Plus subscription update, first time since I remember reading these
  • 3.3M consoles sold in Q1 is quite frankly insufficient for a 25M sale target FY. The recent discounts probably point to them knowing they'll have trouble hitting this number (as well as wanting to get rid of stock ahead of the PS5 Slim)
Also, not sure if anybody bothered to check, but Sony is already expecting changes in the release of first-party games:

Make your own conclusions, especially around PS+ numbers missing and changes to their first-party title releases causing a negative impact, meaning there were already delays, probably related to Hermen and Jim sticking every single A team on shitty live-service kiddy games.
When you port your key games to PC and focus on GaaS, less people will buy your products, simply because the 105 millions who got PS4 did not buy it for shitty games otherwise they would've got a xbox.

Reactions: JAHGamer and Puff

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
See this is the problem with Sony. Why are they wasting money purchasing no-name mobile studios, when Sony Music/Pictures/Crunchyroll or whomever have some mobile studios already pumping out money. All the mobile games developers should be housed together, under PS Studios with mobile games being a sub-section of gaming, and cross promoting with the media arms.

Reactions: JAHGamer

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

yep, these are signs of things to come under their leadership. first party delays after an already barren two years, and missing sales targets due to it. PS Plus subscriptions i'm not so worried about since that numbers always falls and rises to around 50 million, but i got these numbers from another forum

- 47.4 million PS+ subs
- 108 million MAU on PSN

Zeno

28 Jun 2023

The reason for Sony not disclosing PS Plus subscription numbers could also be because Microsoft replaced Xbox Live Gold with Game Pass and will probably disclose the Game Pass numbers (that includes the PC subscriptions) in the future, making them look better than the PS Plus numbers.

I agree that it seems like Hermen and Jim are pushing heavily for live-service games. But let's not kid ourselves, live-service games are and will keep being an important pillar for gaming. So I understand why they focus on that.
We will have to wait and see how it will turn out, also now that Bungie is involved.

Is it a good idea to push studios like Naughty Dog and Guerilla Games to develop these live-service games? Probably not, but the developments started before the aquisition of Bungie and we also saw reports that Naughty Dog is scaling back the development on Factions. And besides that, do we have other studios of Sony that are shifting to live-service, besides Guerilla Games?

I don't agree with the assumption that the leadership is bad. At least it's to soon to say. If renowned studios like Santa Monica Studio, Insomniac Games, Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog or Guerilla Games begin to deliver underperforming live-service games at the cost of high quality single player games, then I would agree with the assumption.

• brain

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The reason for Sony not disclosing PS Plus subscription numbers could also be because Microsoft replaced Xbox Live Gold with Game Pass and will probably disclose the Game Pass numbers (that includes the PC subscriptions) in the future, making them look better than the PS Plus numbers.

Excuses. They were transparent until now. Not revealing numbers is basically MS' tactic to obfuscate how much they are failing.

I agree that it seems like Hermen and Jim are pushing heavily for live-service games. But let's not kid ourselves, live-service games are and will keep being an important pillar for gaming. So I understand why they focus on that.

And I respect this, however, releasing 3 or 4 live-service games per year will only lead to cannibalisation and to studios not focusing on what they do best.

I don't agree with the assumption that the leadership is bad. At least it's to soon to say. If renowned studios like Santa Monica Studio, Insomniac Games, Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog or Guerilla Games begin to deliver underperforming live-service games at the cost of high quality single player games, then I would agree with the assumption.

Those studios should not be focused on live-service games in the first place.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

Once they do something we'll have reason to stop. As of right now it just looks like they are milking their positions in consoles as much as they can while trying to pivot to GaaS/PC/Mobile/Cloud since those are the areas where they are actually investing in.

If you are so confident in Sony direction why do you care about a few doomers expressing their concerns? Sony clearly hasn't cared about controlling the narrative since 2019.

PlayStation is acting a lot like 2015ish Xbox, when MS completely lost confidence in consoles and stoped caring about their core audience.

Lack of support for PSVR2, resources spent on PC flops, pivot to GaaS/Mobile, dormant IPs, no answer to MS taking games away from PlayStation, terrible communication and fan engagement. PS5 itself, PS4 games and Insomniac are doing all the heavylifting.

Last edited:
  • sad

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
It seems like PS had a good quarter, while almost anyone else’s wasn’t that good (Except Nintendo, of course)

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
The big issue is convincing people to upgrade.

There are still a shit ton of ps4 owners who won't upgrade because there is too many devs still supporting the outdated potatoe last gen consoles.

We need a huge push to current gen and hopefully the new revision is priced well enough and spiderman 2 is enough to get people to move on alot quicker.

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Excuses. They were transparent until now. Not revealing numbers is basically MS' tactic to obfuscate how much they are failing.
I told people Jim/Hermen have no idea what they’re doing and PlayStation is slowly turning into Xbox 2.0

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
What's the point of that software chart. I am pretty sure they've announced over 15m for Uncharted 4 and 20m for Spiderman
It just a list of the official shared number by Sony.
It existed in previous earnings documents.

That means only public Sony PR about sales are listed there… data shared by the Studio not.