PlayStation Showcase Aftermath - Rate the show

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
When did Insomniac become the only PS Studio? Did they sack everyone else? Where the actual fuck was Factions?
Deffo keeping their cards close to their chest for next year, but people want to see what Naughty Dog, Guerilla, and Bend have been doing in particular.

D

Deleted member 417

Chances of another showcase dropping in late June?

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Amazing. What I expected from this show was a clear lack of 1st party ps5 exclusives except the obvious SM2. Jimbo clearly doing an amazing job having their teams focused on live service games. They are keeping their cards so close to their chest that they will have a grand total of 2 console only 1st party releases this year (excluding VR), with one of them being a DLC.

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

but hey, revenues are at a record high, so all is good.

Reactions: nongkris

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
They are going to show mobile games eventually aren't they at these showcases
Scared Kermit The Frog GIF

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
Amazing. What I expected from this show was a clear lack of 1st party ps5 exclusives except the obvious SM2. Jimbo clearly doing an amazing job having their teams focused on live service games. They are keeping their cards so close to their chest that they will have a grand total of 2 console only 1st party releases this year (excluding VR), with one of them being a DLC.

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

but hey, revenues are at a record high, so all is good.

And those cat games!

Couldn't ask for more

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Deffo keeping their cards close to their chest for next year, but poeple want to see what Naughty Dog, Guerilla, and Bend have been doing in particular.
I'm not going to wait another year to hopefully see what their non gaas/PC studios are up to. I bought a PS5 day 1 off of the expectation that we'd get constant high quality games like we'd been getting on the ps4. Now I'm not so sure I can count on that

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Satoru

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
There was some good stuff, but overall, I'm kind of underwhelmed. Seriously, these companies used to cram their presentations chock full of awesome stuff, to the point I had trouble telling which one I was most excited for. Now? I'm lucky if there's q couple of cool announcements per showcase.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I have to say this was Xbox levels of bad. If starfield ends up being bug free I can see their showcase being better than the snoozefest Sony delivered today. SM2 looked good and bad all at the same time

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I give it an 8, better than what a lot of you are, but there's actually some gold buried in amongst the trash.

Marathon, Phantom Blade, Aghabra or whatever it was called, Dragon's Dogma 2 and even Helldivers 2 looks like it could be good. Spiderman 2 did what it needed to.

And then the bad really was bad, but is there really much difference between bad and mediocre, I wouldn't rush out to buy either. I guess, if a lot of that stuff (everything but Spiderman and Helldivers?) turns out to be multiplat, that that could hurt? Oh, FF is there too but does it really count if we've seen literally all of that already?

FF and Spiderman anchoring a year is enough.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I'm not going to wait another year to hopefully see what their non gaas/PC studios are up to. I bought a PS5 day 1 off of the expectation that we'd get constant high quality games like we'd been getting on the ps4. Now I'm not so sure I can count on that
Lol forget about PS4 era. Hulst taste in gaming is showing up with that Haven game. We need Shu back.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I have to say this was Xbox levels of bad. If starfield ends up being big free I can see their showcase being better than the snoozefest Sony delivered today. SM2 looked good and bad all at the same time
Seriously would like to know what's up with SM2. Something's off with that game and I can't explain it.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Where are the games? Other than vr which I was surprised to have an actually good selection.
Wheres
Ghost
Wolverine
Factions etc

So many stuff missing

Mild Conviction

13 Jan 2023
This was a mixed bag. How one feels will DEFINITELY depend on what they actually wanted from this show.

For me, I like a lot of different types of games across a ton of genres and budget levels. I'm not ONLY looking for the AAA blockbusters. I want some AA and indie stuff to. That said, the Showcase had a great variety of A-tier games, but a shockingly low number of S-tier heavy hitters. Or at least heavy hitters we didn't already know were coming. We all knew Spider-Man 2 would be in this one. We already knew Dragon's Dogma 2 existed.

The big surprises would be Helldivers 2, Marathon, and Metal Gear Solid Delta, and that's if you don't follow leaks and rumors. Lame CG trailers for Sony's live service games also told us nothing of their actual structure. Firewalk's trailer gave literally just a title. Terrible. And we got another FFXVI trailer without any mention of the demo? And the launch trailer for Street Fighter 6? Why?

But we got very promising games like Plucky Squire, Sword of the Sea, Ghostrunner 2, Talos Principle 2, Phantom Blade, Alan Wake 2, and a few more. Overall, for me, this is a C+ show, maybe B- if I'm more forgiving, but considering the last Showcase was almost two years ago, this really should've been better. At least B+.

If you ONLY care about first-party heavy hitters though, this was a C- or even D show. It offered almost nothing of interest in this regard.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Hezekiah

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The only thing positive I took away from this showcase was helldivers 2 which got a big glow-up from the first one. Honestly they could have just not done this show. Ugh