Playstation Studios [OT]: News, hype and rumors about PS Studios and Bungie

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Got my ps5 in today. Don't have time to play it today though, but tomorrow I'm going to hook it up. On another note, how do you post pics from your phone on this site?

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
So they are 60+ right now and want to expand even more right? I hope Sony investments more in Japanese studios.

Yeah, every studio is expanding, Team Asobi got a big infusion of employees after japan studio winded down. I’d like to see them hit around 100 and be able to turn into a two game studio

P

peter42O

What do you guys think Team Asobi is developing? I think it's Astro Bot 2 and that it will be PS5 and PSVR2 for those who want to play it that way. Thoughts?

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
Yeah, every studio is expanding, Team Asobi got a big infusion of employees after japan studio winded down. I’d like to see them hit around 100 and be able to turn into a two game studio
Surely with 100+ devs they can become two teams?

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Surely with 100+ devs they can become two teams?

I think it might just depend on the scope of their game and studio set up. For me two games means you are full on producing two games at once, which not even Santa Monica or naughty dog were doing with over twice as much people, I think Suckerpunch is also still just a one game studio.

Like insomniac are making multiple games at the same time, they have two studio locations and like 3-4 teams same with Firesprite. Its hard to know what the expansion plans of each studio entails.

I would love for Team Asobi to be half VR/ Half Traditional platformers

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
What do you guys think Team Asobi is developing? I think it's Astro Bot 2 and that it will be PS5 and PSVR2 for those who want to play it that way. Thoughts?

I have a theory everyone seen in the playstation productions intro has at least one game in production. Astro feels like a lock

I do hope they expand the scope of the games a little, more story, more bosses, more move sets.

Reactions: peter42O

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I think Sony won't miss this studio. They're in trials now, and if they succeed expect an acquisition like what happened with Housemarque and Bluepoint.

Yeah, the talent alone is super valuable right now, they’re getting a lot of veteran respawn, dice, and treyarch talent. The bigger companies like activision and EA get the most people are gonna want to work for these smaller places making new and fresh ideas.

Who wants to be stuck making assets for COD for years?

• they're_right_you_know

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
They are working -I assume they aren't working on multiple games- on an action 3D platformer:
https://www.thegamer.com/team-asobi-next-game/

I'm not sure now but I'd bet someone from Sony said their next game isn't an Astro game. I assume they'll have a PSVR2 launch game. If I was them, I'd sell it for non VR PS4+PS5 too.

So they are 60+ right now and want to expand even more right? I hope Sony investments more in Japanese studios.
Team Asobi is growing, like Polyphony or the Japanese XDEV office that branched out from Japan Studio (their Japanese 2nd party publishing team) in the restructuring.

In Sony Music they recently bought Lasengle (their Fate/Grand Order generated ~1B/year to Sony, they also publish Melty Blood), and also publishes or develops games under the labels Sony Music Entertainment Japan, Unties, Aniplex or Forwardworks.

Regarding 3rd party studios basically all the known 3rd party Japanese studios or publishers had at least one PS4 exclusive. Plus they are rumored to be working on the Square-Enix acquisition.

Last edited:
P

peter42O

They are working -I assume they aren't working on multiple games- on an action 3D platformer:
https://www.thegamer.com/team-asobi-next-game/

I'm not sure now but I'd bet someone from Sony said their next game isn't an Astro game. I assume they'll have a PSVR2 launch game. If I was them, I'd sell it for non VR PS4+PS5 too.
I would be surprised if it's not AstroBot 2 especially after Astro's Playroom pack in for PS5 being highly praised. Whatever they're working on, I agree that it should be for PSVR 2 and PS5. I don't see them doing any more PS4 exclusives outside of Lost Soul Aside.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I would be surprised if it's not AstroBot 2 especially after Astro's Playroom pack in for PS5 being highly praised. Whatever they're working on, I agree that it should be for PSVR 2 and PS5. I don't see them doing any more PS4 exclusives outside of Lost Soul Aside.
Maybe they noticed an unexpected great reception for Astro (even if the VR was highly praised too) when they already were working on a non-Astro game. So maybe they'll go with a bigger Astro sequel after their current project (in case it isn't already an Astro game).

P

peter42O

Maybe they noticed an unexpected great reception for Astro (even if the VR was highly praised too) when they already were working on a non-Astro game. So maybe they'll go with a bigger Astro sequel after their current project (in case it isn't already an Astro game).
Yeah, definitely possible. Just have to wait and see.