Playstation Studios [OT]: News, hype and rumors about PS Studios and Bungie

Savant

11 Jul 2022
They also prefer quantity over quality
That's for sure!

Plus, they would have to figure what to do with the aspects of SE they don't want and what to do in regards to all of their employees
Which is exactly why Sqaure Enix sold off their western branch like Sony wanted. Now are you starting to get it!!!

Also, if Microsoft really wanted SE or any Japanese publisher, no one is outbidding them unless they simply choose to be outbid. Sony can't afford to get into a bidding war with Microsoft because it is a war they won't win
Microsoft wanted Bungie, tried to court Bungie, and yet didn't get Bungie. Not only that, Sony ended up with bungie

microsoft fanboys think real life is a movie or something where it's all about high stakes bidding wars and shit lmao

Every company is different and has their own code of ethics and goals. Money isn't the most improtant factor to everyone

It's nothing more then microsoft FUD

Sony already outbid microsoft for Bungie

There's many ways to be outbid

Another huge advantage Sony will have in acquiring studios is that Sony is an entertainment conglomerate whom can offer movie/TV/music deals etc

Sony's CFO and Jim Ryan saying this or that doesn't mean anything

It's too bad that their words weren't backed by action. Oh wait.....Sony increased budgets and investments significantly in accord with everything they've been saying

xbox fans simply don't live in reality

xbox fans would rather believe the empty words of Spencer with no action. Americans love their car salesmens

leave the legal stuff to Hoeg Law and others who actually know how it all works
I know xbots love Hoeg because hes on microsoft's payroll, but are you even aware of what his actual position is?

He's simply a consultant who does the financials for companies looking TO CLOSE on an aqusition. He's not an attorney and knows nothing about actual antitrust law. He's always on the side of the company doing the takeover. He doesn't know the other side nor does he sympathize with the other side...but when Sony does the aquistion watch how quick he will switch up

On a side note, Microsoft can also acquire a Japanese company if they so choose
Again every time you speak you expose how little you know.

Japanese companies are specifically set up to prevent foreign buy outs.

And some Japanese companies like Sony and Toyato have specifically been assigned as high value assets by the Japanese government immune to any offers let alone buy outs. Foreign companies cant even buy stock in Sony without goverment approval, thats how protected Sony is. But none the less, the Japanese publishers are set up to prevent any foreign buys. Microsoft would not be able to buy a Japanese publisher if they wanted to.

We already know Microsoft wants to and has chosen to....than they were laughed out the room by Nintendo which is a small Japanese company

"Bu but microsoft's war chest"

That war chest didn't matter to Bungie!

The only companies microsoft will ever be able to buy are scandalous american companies like microsoft

Last edited:
  • fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
P

peter42O

It's amazing how xbox just always happens to be the best for you no matter what!
PlayStation 4 is my #1 all time gaming console so how exactly is Xbox always the best for me? LOL.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Sony should buy Valve before MS does it. :coffee:

People rarely mention it but it's by far the best fit.
Strategically would be an excellent move. Great alignments in VR. Valve development offers great multiplayer and single player games, and maybe could get some help from Sony in getting those games out of development hell

Obviously gives a huge footprint on PC and Sony can help with improving Steam deck.

Only issue is its an anti trust nightmare which is why I think it hasn't happened. Essentially you'd need to argue why you can buy out a major competitor in a market with like 5 big competitors if you're being generous

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Strategically would be an excellent move. Great alignments in VR. Valve development offers great multiplayer and single player games, and maybe could get some help from Sony in getting those games out of development hell

Obviously gives a huge footprint on PC and Sony can help with improving Steam deck.

Only issue is its an anti trust nightmare which is why I think it hasn't happened. Essentially you'd need to argue why you can buy out a major competitor in a market with like 5 big competitors if you're being generous
The argument could be made that they are buying Valve to enter a new market (PC gaming) or argue that they are trying to compete with Facebook on the VR space. Rarely are these acquisitions stopped anyway.

It's what I would try to do if I was in their position. VR, huge PC storefront, portable device, e-sports/GaaS, all time great dev team.

I think the real problem is that Gabe probably hates Sony as much if not more than he hates MS. I doubt he want's to sell out but once a company shows up with multiple billions, who knows what he'll actually do.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think Firewalk will have the sleeper hit. Everyone is gassed on deviation. I think Firesprite will drop a good shooter.
Sony has Bungie, Guerrilla, Insomniac who made shooters in the past, plus top tier shooter devs at Deviation and Firewalk making games from them. If Sony wants shooters in the future, I'd ask them to Bungie, Deviation and Firewalk (and a Ratchet every generation or two for Insomniac) because they are top tier devs on this genre, not Firesprite.

Firesprite is mostly made with former staff from Liverpool Studio, Evolution and Bizarre Creations plus some spare top tier staff from different top studios like Naughty Dog or Rockstar, etc. and obviously young talent for junior positions. Liverpool, Evo and Bizarre were top tier devs in arcade racers, not with shooters. And Firesprite did top tier stuff in VR.

So I'd ask Firesprite to make VR friendly (not exclusive) arcade racers bringing the genre to a new level, with a strong single player campaing with seasons of post launch content adding new vehicles, customizable parts, circuits and events (GaaS) and a casual/untalented/chill multiplayer but also eSports/tournament/competitive MP. And to start rebooting Wipeout and Motorstorm with brand new entries released months after than a remastered (PS5 + PC) collection and months after a related movie/tv show/anime, with the idea of putting these IPs beyond where they have ever been.

MS has Forza Horizon, EA has NFS, Nintendo has Mario Kart, Ubisoft has Trackmania or The Crew. There's room for very successful arcade racers and many Sony IPs and studios performed better than ever this generation, so I think they can do a great job with Wipeout and Motorstorm, and also use them to give PSVR2 unique experiences with popular IPs.

Wipeout HD or Omega Collection was trully inmersive specially in Zone Mode: that mode in VR could be insane. And a new Motorstorm VR cars exploding and mud splashing around you while surrounded by collaping builings while driving at full speed and with 3D audio can be nuts, probably the most effective PSVR2 seller specially if they solved the dizziness/nauseas issue that some people have in VR.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
On a side note, Microsoft can also acquire a Japanese company if they so choose.
Japanese companies are specifically set up to prevent foreign buy outs.

And some Japanese companies like Sony and Toyato have specifically been assigned as high value assets by the Japanese government immune to any offers let alone buy outs. Foreign companies cant even buy stock in Sony without goverment approval, thats how protected Sony is. But none the less, the Japanese publishers are set up to prevent any foreign buys. Microsoft would not be able to buy a Japanese publisher if they wanted to.

We already know Microsoft wants to and has chosen to....than they were laughed out the room by Nintendo which is a small Japanese company
Biggest Japanese companies of some strategical areas like Sony or Toyota (not smaller game publishers like Sega, Square or Konami) are protected against foreigner acquisitions. Something that doesn't stop the acquisition, basically adds extra paperwork and means it will pass a regulatory greenlight from the government.

The first main reason to don't sell the Japanese publishers, or more importantly, their top shareholders don't want to sell it or at least to this company. The thing is, the main Japanese publishers (including Sony) typically have the CEO, its family or the company itself as top shareholders, in many cases getting the majority of the stocks. So they block any unwanted sale.

And other than that, the other shareholders are typically banks, mostly Japanese ones, and the same ones for these publishers. If one of their company has to be sold, they'd prefer to be sold to other of their own companies, because they'll win money with that operation and will continue owning it. And well, there's the cultural barrier: if the Japanese have to sell I bet they'll prefer to sell to a Japanese company. And there's also the positioning in gaming: a top AAA console publisher may prefer to go with Sony and not with MS because Sony is more important in gaming than MS, specially in consoles. And there is also the track record of how gamedev companies evolved after being acquired by MS or PS and what extras the acquirer may offer them, which again goes in Sony's favor.

So I think that even if it's possible that MS could buy some Japanese company, I think it's pretty unlikely and that it's more than likely that other Japanese company would buy them, in case their top shareholders decide to sell I think it's way more likely that they would prefer to sell to Sony.

To buy a company isn't like to go to Ebay and be the highest bidder. There are many other factors, many of them more important, to decide to who they sell.

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I did a brief search but didn’t find it… do we have a general “ps plus extra” topic?

Why? Because Wonderful 101 just got added in secret apparently.

I sorted it to recently added but it was way down the list after titles the service launched with… what?

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Pretty much. Like who the fuq is Aspyr? For such a monument in gaming history and not just Star Wars gaming history to be given to some no-name perhaps shell and scam studio… like wut

I know it was BioWare but Disney also killing LucasArts was shameful. It’s clear they kinda don’t care and just bid the rights off to whomever.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Aspyr were always a bad choice.... they shoulda got Bluepoint on it with some support.

I always had underlying worries when I saw Aspyr were doing it.

i think we all did, but maybe were hoping Sony would be offering more support than normal like they did with death stranding. Doesn't seem like Xdev was on this or any of sonys other studios

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75