Playstation Studios [OT]: News, hype and rumors about PS Studios and Bungie

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
I think they are testing the waters with a marketing deal (who knows if they turned this previously multiplatform game into a timed exclusive). Who knows, if it works they may buy them or test first asking them a full exclusive/2nd party game.

Sony prefers to buy proven people who has a long tradition of working with them. I think it's too early for these Korean guys, first they have to prove they know how to release very good and successful games. I don't know if they did some hit game before.
I agree and having it in the 2021 showcase right after KOTOR Remake was a strong move too.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
Tbf I feel like I need a round-up on teams and rumored/announced projects.

Just the other week I was reading the ND back and forth about who was making TLOU Remake and I found myself thinking "so if your making that, and they're busy with this, who's making the new IP/Sci fi shooter possibly based on TLOU comic Savage Starlight, that I've seen rumored for years?"
Naughty Dog has said they are developing 3 games right now, with 3 pairs of directors.

Shaun Escayg & Matthew Gallant - The Last of Us Part I
Anthony Newman & Vinit Agarwal - The Last of Us multiplayer
Neil Druckmann & Kurt Margenau - unannounced game

Naughty Dog said they want to make a new IP and make more Uncharted and The Last of Us games. Seems they have set up 3 “teams” to potentially have both of their big franchises continue and make a new IP. Neil Druckmann is obviously either making The Last of Us Part III or a new IP. (Doubt he wants to do more Uncharted.) Shaun Escayg was creative director on Lost Legacy, and could likely go on to make a new Uncharted game. Escayg when doing marketing interviews for the Uncharted Collection was saying “they love Uncharted blah blah” so I assume he’ll direct that, while Druckmann makes a new IP. While those games get made over the generation, they’ll continue to have The Last of Us multiplayer keeping that IP alive. A Part III is probably coming someday, but a long time from now.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Naughty Dog has said they are developing 3 games right now, with 3 pairs of directors.

Shaun Escayg & Matthew Gallant - The Last of Us Part I
Anthony Newman & Vinit Agarwal - The Last of Us multiplayer
Neil Druckmann & Kurt Margenau - unannounced game

Naughty Dog said they want to make a new IP and make more Uncharted and The Last of Us games. Seems they have set up 3 “teams” to potentially have both of their big franchises continue and make a new IP. Neil Druckmann is obviously either making The Last of Us Part III or a new IP. (Doubt he wants to do more Uncharted.) Shaun Escayg was creative director on Lost Legacy, and could likely go on to make a new Uncharted game. Escayg when doing marketing interviews for the Uncharted Collection was saying “they love Uncharted blah blah” so I assume he’ll direct that, while Druckmann makes a new IP. While those games get made over the generation, they’ll continue to have The Last of Us multiplayer keeping that IP alive. A Part III is probably coming someday, but a long time from now.
Yep. We have to remember Druckmann wrote a first draft of TLOU3 story just in case they decide to develop it in the future, so I assume he'd only overview it while someone else would direct it. As a creative guy I think he'll prefer to work on a new IP.

Regading Uncharted, we have to remember that -at least according to Jason Schreier- around 2 or 3 years ago or so they started work with Bend on a new Uncharted spin-off until Bend moved to their next new IP. That project maybe got cancelled, maybe continued inside ND or maybe was moved from Bend to other studio (Bluepoint?).

I also think that some tiny team inside ND will work -pretty likely with external porting studios- on a PS5 & PC version of TLOU2 and Nathan Drake Collection.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
List has gone a fair bit? Bend must of hired a quite of lot staff.

Yeah looks like they filled a lot of positions since last year. The senior animator slot got filled by one of the guys from VASG who worked on TLOU remake

They are probably getting a lot of cross-over from ragnarok and TLOU remake being done

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
Yeah looks like they filled a lot of positions since last year. The senior animator slot got filled by one of the guys from VASG who worked on TLOU remake

They are probably getting a lot of cross-over from ragnarok and TLOU remake being done

Plus Robert did work on GOW 2018 and did some of the best scenes in that game too. Sony Bend is gonna upgrade massively with Robert now!

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I know it's not a PlayStation studio game, but Splinter Cell...
As I remember they were working on a remake of Splinter Cell and (not sure it released) a Spinter Cell VR game

Plus Robert did work on GOW 2018 and did some of the best scenes in that game too. Sony Bend is gonna upgrade massively with Robert now!
My want / need is for a spy / stealth action game.... but since they were talking about using some of the tech developed for Days Gone, I guess that is unlikely.
I see in his LinkedIn that he has a long carrer. Some examples: Started in 1995 in Sega, in 1997 he did work in Medal of Honor, later in Crystal Dynamics, then he worked in the original The Sims, later in Brute Force for MS, then he was around 10 years self employed, then he worked via outsourcing companies in Resident Evil VII, Scalebound, Injustice 2, then went to SSM to work in GoW 2018, then went to Certain Affinity to work on New World (Amazon) and an unannounced project, then went to Sony VASG to work in TLOU Part I.

This guy is super experienced and worked in a ton of popular games and studios in a big variety of genres, so must have a lot of knowledge and will add a lot of value in his area to Bend.

I'd like a stealth/spy game, maybe something like Metal Gear or Tenchu. Sony already has 3 games with slight stealth elements: GoT, Horizon and Days Gone. I think they could differientate them a bit more focusing each on different thinks:
-Horizon: less stealth, more focus Zelda-like fantasy adventure, more RPG and monster hunting
-GoT: more stealth, more focus on being a ninja
-Days Gone/Bend: less stealth, more focus on managing giant hordes and maybe bring back that idea they didn't have time to include in DG1 of having a bike gang for coop PVE multiplayer, maybe focus a bit more in horror. It would be great if the new IP is set in the same world than Days Gone an Syphon Filter and include references or cameos from both IPs.

Last edited:

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
Taken from a post on the other place by Toumari
-----
Haven have acquired a studio, or at the very least about half of the talent of a studio based in Montreal called Legion Labs.

I'm not sure if they've acquired the entire studio yet because so far only 8 of them have updated their LinkedIn in the last 24 hours, but it's possible the entire studio has been merged into Haven. The majority of them appear to be long term ex-Ubisoft employees so likely knew Jade Raymond.

Here is a list of the people who confirmed they have joined Haven from Legion Labs:
  • Nathalie Dubois (Senior Technical Program Manager) - 22 years at Ubisoft Montréal
  • Frédéric Joanis (Senior Engine Architect) - 9 years at Eidos-Montréal, previously Programming Director
  • Alexandre Ganea (Engine Architect) - 16 years at Ubisoft Montréal
  • Marc Parenteau (Senior Engine Programmer) - 16 years at Ubisoft Québec, previously Technology Director
  • Julien Kauffmann (Online Technical Architect) - 7 years at Ubisoft Montréal
  • Marc-Antoine Desroches (Senior Engine Programmer) - ex-Stadia, 4 years at Ubisoft
  • Jean-Sébastien Guay (Senior Graphics Programmer) - 4 years at Bethesda, 6 years at Ubisoft Montréal
  • Thanh Liem Tran (Senior Technical Program Manager) - Total of 15 years at Ubisoft
Edit: The CTO/Co-Founder lists his employer as Haven Studios on his Github profile, and a couple who still have Legion Labs listed in the profile have been interacting with those who joined Haven, so I'm pretty sure it's the entire team. This would bring Haven to about 100 people.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Taken from a post on the other place by Toumari
-----
Haven have acquired a studio, or at the very least about half of the talent of a studio based in Montreal called Legion Labs.

I'm not sure if they've acquired the entire studio yet because so far only 8 of them have updated their LinkedIn in the last 24 hours, but it's possible the entire studio has been merged into Haven. The majority of them appear to be long term ex-Ubisoft employees so likely knew Jade Raymond.

Here is a list of the people who confirmed they have joined Haven from Legion Labs:
  • Nathalie Dubois (Senior Technical Program Manager) - 22 years at Ubisoft Montréal
  • Frédéric Joanis (Senior Engine Architect) - 9 years at Eidos-Montréal, previously Programming Director
  • Alexandre Ganea (Engine Architect) - 16 years at Ubisoft Montréal
  • Marc Parenteau (Senior Engine Programmer) - 16 years at Ubisoft Québec, previously Technology Director
  • Julien Kauffmann (Online Technical Architect) - 7 years at Ubisoft Montréal
  • Marc-Antoine Desroches (Senior Engine Programmer) - ex-Stadia, 4 years at Ubisoft
  • Jean-Sébastien Guay (Senior Graphics Programmer) - 4 years at Bethesda, 6 years at Ubisoft Montréal
  • Thanh Liem Tran (Senior Technical Program Manager) - Total of 15 years at Ubisoft
Edit: The CTO/Co-Founder lists his employer as Haven Studios on his Github profile, and a couple who still have Legion Labs listed in the profile have been interacting with those who joined Haven, so I'm pretty sure it's the entire team. This would bring Haven to about 100 people.
There's a thread already if you want to discuss

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I don't know, but I can expect some fake outrage by social media during the next few days to try and soften the blow that GOWR is releasing this year.