Playstation Studios [OT]: News, hype and rumors about PS Studios and Bungie

yewles1

21 Jun 2022
Indianapolis, IN, USA
PSN ID
yewyew1
Oh wow, just after looking that up.... he did Dexters Lab, Samurai Jack, Star Wars the Clone Wars and previously worked on Batman The Animated Series....

I am now quite excited. That is awesome. If it is anything like Samurai Jack.....

(He - Director Genndy Tartakovsky)
I would've loved to see his scrapped Superman project...

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I would've loved to see his scrapped Superman project...

Looks awesome, I loved the animated series during the 90's.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Senior / lead animator on Bend, previously in The Last of Us Part I, God Of War (2018), Injustice 2, Resident Evil 7 and more:

Saw that on twitter..... damn I hope Bend have an amazing project on the cards!

I NEED a stealth game, a spy / action / stealth game.

Or perhaps Tactical Espionage Action.

Reactions: Yurinka

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I just miss Metal Gear Solid man :/

I remember years ago I had the MGS3 theme on my ipod.... and I'd be singing along going down the street.

People looking at me like 'who is this guy singing about tree frogs? FFS'

But seriously, it's been too long... I want to play the whole series from start to finish in current gen graphics.

Reactions: yewles1

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
playstation are hiring a new job specifically for japanese 3rd party support

Screenshot_2022-07-11_at_2.31.13_am.png

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I’ve tried a handful of ND games over the years. Didn’t try TLOU2 (and never will) but the first game yea and Drake Collection on plus. I absolutely loathe the gunplay, movement and overuse of animations in these games. I can’t stand it. I actually think they’re pretty mediocre as a dev. Similar shit with FF7…. Stop playing the game for me game… I can control my own walking speed thanks

It’s just a step above Marvel movies. Popcorn basura.

Thankfully Sony has a diverse enough studio lineup that it doesn’t matter if I dislike games from ND or Insomniac. Stuff like God of War, Tsushima and Bloodborne make up for that as far as I’m concerned.

And ripped from the destiny community thread:

Paul Tassi opinion on recent Bungie comments to have Destiny ongoing for decades long. He once again indicates that there is a 3rd major game in development at Bungie outside of Destiny and the upcoming matter. This would be separate from the mobile game. Also, destiny animated project in development.

Last edited:
  • fire
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I’ve tried a handful of ND games over the years. Didn’t try TLOU2 (and never will) but the first game yea and Drake Collection on plus. I absolutely loathe the gunplay, movement and overuse of animations in these games. I can’t stand it. I actually think they’re pretty mediocre as a dev. Similar shit with FF7…. Stop playing the game for me game… I can control my own walking speed thanks

It’s just a step above Marvel movies. Popcorn basura.

Thankfully Sony has a diverse enough studio lineup that it doesn’t matter if I dislike games from ND or Insomniac. Stuff like God of War, Tsushima and Bloodborne make up for that as far as I’m concerned.

And ripped from the destiny community thread:

Paul Tassi opinion on recent Bungie comments to have Destiny ongoing for decades long. He once again indicates that there is a 3rd major game in development at Bungie outside of Destiny and the upcoming matter. This would be separate from the mobile game. Also, destiny animated project in development.

I'm incredibly hyped to see all this stuff, I don't understand why Sony doesn't have this animated show signed up to be in their own streaming service along with Crunchyroll and all their films in the premium tier of PSPlus....

Destiny is such a rich universe for story telling, it could be what Star Wars was meant to be by now.

Reactions: Savant and Vertigo

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I'm incredibly hyped to see all this stuff, I don't understand why Sony doesn't have this animated show signed up to be in their own streaming service along with Crunchyroll and all their films in the premium tier of PSPlus....

Destiny is such a rich universe for story telling, it could be what Star Wars was meant to be by now.

I used to love Star Wars before it was bought by the Empire. Now Star Wars can fuck off… it’s dead to me. My love for Destiny at this point definitely eclipses my former fandom of choice for sure. I’m glad Tassi mentioned that; it’s like that for a lot players.

We need to remember that the Sony/Bungie won’t be done for another year right? So the Sony money isn’t necessarily at work yet. Is there a tangible effect yet? Well maybe for the upcoming Lightfall expansion, since Bungie increased their hiring process since the deal was announced but it’s still not Sony yet.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
playstation are hiring a new job specifically for japanese 3rd party support

Screenshot_2022-07-11_at_2.31.13_am.png
There are more people in the team, but like some of the slide are more focused on big AAA 3rd parties:
  • Kiichiro Urata is Senior Vice President, Head of Japan Asia Partner Development & Relations (former CEO of Capcom USA & Europe, and former MS Japan Corporate Officer, Interactive Entertainment Business & Strategy)
  • Christian Svensson is VP, Head of Global Third Party Relations at PlayStation, previously -since 2019- head of global portfolio and acquisitions. Former Capcom USA Corporate Officer/Senior Vice President
Yoshida himself visits personally indie events from Japan and all around the world to meet and discover indies and support the ones he likes, even if they'll publish on PS or not. It's something he always liked to do and now he can do it as his job, without needing to publish them the games.

Yoshida presentation from a recent indie games event from Brazil, I still have to watch the video but I think this slide is from there:

Recent interview (in Japanese, use Google translate) where Yoshida talks about his job and passion for indies (mention some Japanese unknown ones): https://dengekionline.com/articles/138494/

Last edited:
Reactions: Remember_Spinal

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I used to love Star Wars before it was bought by the Empire. Now Star Wars can fuck off… it’s dead to me. My love for Destiny at this point definitely eclipses my former fandom of choice for sure. I’m glad Tassi mentioned that; it’s like that for a lot players.

We need to remember that the Sony/Bungie won’t be done for another year right? So the Sony money isn’t necessarily at work yet. Is there a tangible effect yet? Well maybe for the upcoming Lightfall expansion, since Bungie increased their hiring process since the deal was announced but it’s still not Sony yet.

I think it should be done by Christmas or soon after. But that's just a guess.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Some highlights from the Yoshida presentation about PlayStation Indies:
  • Started with a small introduction asking about his personal career before PS Indies, producing games or working on PSVR
  • Mentioned that AAA games, like their own ones became so big and expensive that rely on proven ideas and sequels, and if people get too much sequels get bored like in any other entertainment medium
  • Indies instead bring fresh ideas and new IPs, diversity and inclusion, and being small can afford to bet on risky innovative concepts so the industry needs indies
  • Mentioned cases like Journey, Fall Guys, Beat Saber, PUBG, Minecraft, Gone Home, No Man's Sky, or cases from last year that won many GOTY awards like Inscription or Unpacking. Tiny indie teams of even a single person can change the world or have huge impact on the industry
  • Mention their history of supporting unique and innovative indies since the first PS with Parappa, Intelligent Qube, Katamari, Tokyo Jungle, The Whitness, Octodad, Astro or Kena and a few other ones I don't know
  • Himself, even if he was managing the 1st party games, he always attended to indie events or indie booths and liked to support them, so now runs PlayStation Indies
  • At PlayStation Indies support indies via various marketing initiatives like in PlayStation Showcases or SoP where in addition to AAA they always put some indies putting them at the same level of great games. They also make PlayStation Indie Highlights (blog & youtube) and have a dedicated PlayStation Indies page on the main PlayStation page and in the PSN store, where they also include indies in the Monthly Picks Collection where they highlight the best games of the previous games. They also make PlayStation Indies Sales every quarter, which are very popular. They also included a ton of indies on PS+ and will include more every month
  • PlayStation Indies are also working the quality of life for indie devs when working for PS by improving tools & support: hw tools loan program, partner analytics tool, new voucher code tool, help center support, indies webinar series, training and Q&A sessions, creation of global partner development team. He mentioned some of the key contact people of his team, the ones from the slide, and explained their previous relationship with indies

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
  • Started with a small introduction asking about his personal career before PS Indies, producing games or working on PSVR
  • Mentioned that AAA games, like their own ones became so big and expensive that rely on proven ideas and sequels, and if people get too much sequels get bored like in any other entertainment medium
  • Indies instead bring fresh ideas and new IPs, diversity and inclusion, and being small can afford to bet on risky innovative concepts so the industry needs indies
  • Mentioned cases like Journey, Fall Guys, Beat Saber, PUBG, Minecraft, Gone Home, No Man's Sky, or cases from last year that won many GOTY awards like Inscription or Unpacking. Tiny indie teams of even a single person can change the world or have huge impact on the industry
  • Mention their history of supporting unique and innovative indies since the first PS with Parappa, Intelligent Qube, Katamari, Tokyo Jungle, The Whitness, Octodad, Astro or Kena and a few other ones I don't know
  • Himself, even if he was managing the 1st party games, he always attended to indie events or indie booths and liked to support them, so now runs PlayStation Indies
  • At PlayStation Indies support indies via various marketing initiatives like in PlayStation Showcases or SoP where in addition to AAA they always put some indies putting them at the same level of great games. They also make PlayStation Indie Highlights (blog & youtube) and have a dedicated PlayStation Indies page on the main PlayStation page and in the PSN store, where they also include indies in the Monthly Picks Collection where they highlight the best games of the previous games. They also make PlayStation Indies Sales every quarter, which are very popular. They also included a ton of indies on PS+ and will include more every month
  • PlayStation Indies are also working the quality of life for indie devs when working for PS by improving tools & support: hw tools loan program, partner analytics tool, new voucher code tool, help center support, indies webinar series, training and Q&A sessions, creation of global partner development team. He mentioned some of the key contact people of his team, the ones from the slide, and explained their previous relationship with indies

Thanks bro, your posts are always incredible and so informative.

Reactions: Yurinka

Savant

11 Jul 2022
I remember at the time, xbots were talking about how Shu was demoted (you know, the whole, "but Sony ain't the same anymore - cold war happening within Sony" FUD, and blah blah blah) yet after reading this, it's become pretty apparent to me that Shu wanted this position, that he has always been enamored with indies, and now has his true dream position right now with Sony. Pretty awesome stuff. Shu is a great man and will always be a crucial part of PlayStation. Shu seems his most happiest with Sony/Playstation right now. So much for all the xbot FUD lmao. I've never seen more FUD in my life than at the beginning of this PS5 generation before PS5 came out. Microsoft tried so hard only to fail even harder lol - still getting brutally outsold by PS5 and getting murdered by PS5 on games and even on services now (PSN+ revamp). Microsoft FUD can never beat truth

Last edited:
  • brain