Playstation Studios [OT]: News, hype and rumors about PS Studios and Bungie

Aidendelaney95

9 Jul 2022
Someone is quietly working on some SOCOM game in the background, right? Im sure I've seen someone stand by that rumor. Was it Colin?
Was it Colin who initially said Bluepoint was making a Bloodborne sequel...before Jason Schreier basically laughed it out of existence?

• sad
Reactions: ksdixon

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Someone is quietly working on some SOCOM game in the background, right? Im sure I've seen someone stand by that rumor.
Blue Box Game Studios, but it's a Knack + Silent Hill + SOCOM battle royale crossover exclusive for mobile games and Souljaboy.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Do you guys think sony will actually buy square Enix 🤔

Could go either way, no one will know until we get the big tweet. Impossible to really guess major acquisitions

On paper it makes sense though, although square enix have a bunch of non-sony related businesses they would have to siphon off.

Reactions: AniWeeb

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I don't know, maybe. I think Sony would want to buy it but maybe Square doesn't want to sell. Same goes with Capcom, Bandai Namco or with buying FromSoft from Kadokawa or to buy the whole Kadokawa.

Or as may happen with other western or Asian publishers or developers. Sony wants to buy, they will prefer to buy the one who are the best fit and have an affordable price, that if possible only has businesses focused in the same areas than Sony, and I think Square is the best fit. But the other side also has to want to sell and see if Sony is the best fit for their company.

And well, now that they completed the acquisition of Haven maybe they want to complete the acquisition of Bungie before moving to their next big acquisition to avoid issues with any regulator.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Very interested in both of Bungie’s new projects. The hero shooter and the ARPG.

I don’t think there’s been anything to indicate a hero shooter aside from old speculation a few years back now and I honestly sure as hell hope it’s not. I’m not expecting it to be. I’d still lean towards player created avatars.

I have always been leaning towards Matter being a more kid friendly of a game than what you would expect. More Nintendo-like than before.

Altho latest rumblings have people thinking it won’t be that dissimilar to Genshin Impact as a fantasy adventure game.

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
Hmm …

“*********”

9 characters. “Uncharted” and “TLOUPART3” both fit. As does “Starlight”.

Will be interesting to see when it’s announced. Hopefully in 2023.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Hmm …

“*********”

9 characters. “Uncharted” and “TLOUPART3” both fit. As does “Starlight”.

Will be interesting to see when it’s announced. Hopefully in 2023.

Please give us a break from Uncharted and TLOU naughty gods

Salma Hayek Please GIF

P

peter42O

No. I don't see Sony acquiring any publisher unless they're really small and really cheap. When it comes to Square Enix, Sony doesn't need to acquire them. They have FF7R fully exclusive to PS5, FFXVI most likely will be despite them saying it's a timed console exclusive and PS5 will still get all the lesser games from SE. It's far easier and far cheaper for Sony to just make their exclusivity deals with SE than it would be to acquire them. Acquiring them means they would have to pay for hiring, development, all the employees after the acquisition goes through and many more expenses. There's simply no reason for Sony to do this when they can still get what they want without acquiring SE.

I personally believe that Sony goes after independent development studios like they have done the last few years. My guess would be that Deviation Games is next as they seem to be a good fit with a low risk, high reward scenario and allows the main core studios to keep their single player stories as the primary focus while keeping any co-op/multi-player aspects secondary.

I'm personally hoping for Ember Lab. I loved Kena: Bridge of Spirits and would love to see what they could do with a $100M+ budget.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
No. I don't see Sony acquiring any publisher unless they're really small and really cheap. When it comes to Square Enix, Sony doesn't need to acquire them. They have FF7R fully exclusive to PS5, FFXVI most likely will be despite them saying it's a timed console exclusive and PS5 will still get all the lesser games from SE. It's far easier and far cheaper for Sony to just make their exclusivity deals with SE than it would be to acquire them. Acquiring them means they would have to pay for hiring, development, all the employees after the acquisition goes through and many more expenses. There's simply no reason for Sony to do this when they can still get what they want without acquiring SE.

I personally believe that Sony goes after independent development studios like they have done the last few years. My guess would be that Deviation Games is next as they seem to be a good fit with a low risk, high reward scenario and allows the main core studios to keep their single player stories as the primary focus while keeping any co-op/multi-player aspects secondary.

I'm personally hoping for Ember Lab. I loved Kena: Bridge of Spirits and would love to see what they could do with a $100M+ budget.
Even if FFXVI ends up releasing later for the Xbox it hardly changes anything for Sony the association is already made and if you are a Final Fantasy fan playing on console odds are you are going with a PlayStation.

Based on the deals Sony already have they have stuff far in the future already guaranteed to release on PlayStation like FFVIIR Part 3, future FFXVI content, etc. Makes no sense for SE to not release those games on PlayStation even if Sony didn't pay them anything. Buying SE would be more of a matter of maybe saving some money on the long run but it would have very little impact for this gen.

Spending money on devs like Ember Lab is way less risky and a lot easier to pull off, while possibly being beneficial to both sides.

P

peter42O

Even if FFXVI ends up releasing later for the Xbox it hardly changes anything for Sony the association is already made and if you are a Final Fantasy fan playing on console odds are you are going with a PlayStation.

Based on the deals Sony already have they have stuff far in the future already guaranteed to release on PlayStation like FFVIIR Part 3, future FFXVI content, etc. Makes no sense for SE to not release those games on PlayStation even if Sony didn't pay them anything. Buying SE would be more of a matter of maybe saving some money on the long run but it would have very little impact for this gen.

Spending money on a dev like Ember Lab is way less risky and a lot easier to pull off, while possibly being beneficial to both sides.
Agree with all the SE stuff except for buying them would save Sony money. It would cost them way more money and if they don't release those "switch" RPG's, a lot of what SE has/does would be useless to Sony. Sony is simply better off just paying for whatever exclusivity they want from SE and reap the benefits from it while letting SE foot the bill for development and whatnot.

Agree with Ember Lab. Really hoping for Sony to acquire them!!

Reactions: Bryank75

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Agree with all the SE stuff except for buying them would save Sony money. It would cost them way more money and if they don't release those "switch" RPG's, a lot of what SE has/does would be useless to Sony. Sony is simply better off just paying for whatever exclusivity they want from SE and reap the benefits from it while letting SE foot the bill for development and whatnot.

Agree with Ember Lab. Really hoping for Sony to acquire them!!
In the long run, maybe it could save them money, they wouldn't have to spend so much on moneyhats, SE is a profitable company (I assume or they could turn it around if they aren't), too many factors, but like I said no impact for this gen.

It's like how MS bought Bethesda and it had zero actual effect so far other than generating hype, no exclusive game came out for Xbox because of it, Starfield will be the first and who knows when another big game will come out of it. Even on terms of sales and market share there was minimal impact despite them pretty much doubling in size as far as the number of internal developers.