Playstation Studios [OT]: News, hype and rumors about PS Studios and Bungie

Savant

11 Jul 2022

A lot of people are upset with Sony for not being more aggressive with acquisitions, but this is making me think about if Sony was just waiting for Haven & Bungie to close, before announcing their next wave of acquisitions...because I'm positive Sony has already acquired Sqaure Enix and Kojima and I've been wondering for months why Sony has still not announced it. Sony' next wave of aquistions are going to be killer and true counter punches to microsoft, so the people have been upset with Sony for being to passive, you will be happy. Who seriously thought Sony was just going to lay down and allow microsoft to consolidate the industry lol. Playstation is far more important to Sony, than xbox is to microsoft

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
A lot of people are upset with Sony for not being more aggressive with acquisitions, but this is making me think about if Sony was just waiting for Haven & Bungie to close, before announcing their next wave of acquisitions...because I'm positive Sony has already acquired Sqaure Enix and Kojima and I've been wondering for months why Sony has still not announced it. Sony' next wave of aquistions are going to be killer and true counter punches to microsoft, so the people have been upset with Sony for being to passive, you will be happy. Who seriously thought Sony was just going to lay down and allow microsoft to consolidate the industry lol. Playstation is far more important to Sony, than xbox is to microsoft

I also think Sony aren’t willing to carelessly throw money around like Microsoft either.

They don’t really have to play that same acquisition game when they’ve already got arguably the best studios in gaming.

They can turn any studio into a powerhouse. Like why buy big studios when you can buy 20 person studio and grow them into a powerhouse?

I think Microsoft’s acquisitions are gonna bare fruit for a very long time

Savant

11 Jul 2022
I also think Sony aren’t willing to carelessly throw money around like Microsoft either.

They don’t really have to play that same acquisition game when they’ve already got arguably the best studios in gaming.

They can turn any studio into a powerhouse. Like why buy big studios when you can buy 20 person studio and grow them into a powerhouse?

Naw, it's not about "playing the same game."

its about NOT letting microsoft consolidate the industry

Just like how a great general NEEDS to make defensive maneuvers and take defensive stands in order to ensure his and his peoples survival, Sony will be making DEFENSIVE buys in order to ensure the survival of Playstation.

You can't let a conqueror go unchecked.

How was Genghis Khan stopped? It wasn't by "matching him power for power"

He was thwarted by peoples who had much more to fight for, people fighting for their survival who took a defensive stand (Japanese forces still valiantly fought them off long enough for disasterous weather to even come into play)

And Playstation is far more important to Sony than xbox is to microsoft

In general, it seems to me like console warriors just want to keep perputating this bs about how only microsoft is allowed to buy publishers for exclusivity, and not Sony

Like it's somehow wrong for Sony to respond, and not wrong that microsoft started it

Yes its true,

Sony has the far superior exclusives and the far superior exclusive developers (quality>>>quantity)

That fact does NOT turn into, "Sony doesn't need to do anything in response to Microsoft's consolidation attempts"

Are people just conveniently forgetting microsoft terrible scummy monopolistic history?

You are talking about 2 completely different seperate topics my friend

Sony having the best games and best developers is a complete seperate topic to, microsoft is buying publishers to keep games off Playstation, and Sony needs to defensively start doing something about it

Thankfully, Sony is a very smart forward thinking company - they are in the position they are in for a reason, and so they know they have to respond... and they will, and are already planning to.

Which is why Jim Ryan has said multiple times that BIG AQUISITIONS are coming

And its why Sony just took out, i recall the number being 30billion, from a trust to add to their acquisition budget

The Sony CFO himself said during 1 of their latest earning reports, "we are not limited. We have deep funds too and will spend as much as we need to."

So believe me, Sony IS GOING to make some huge splash waves in gaming, with what's set to come.

Sony ain't dumb or niave like forum posters are. Playstation is vital to Sony and Sony will do everything in its power to ensure the survival of Playstation, once the dust settles from this consolidation phase, which microsoft brought into gaming (just another of the many terrible practices micorsoft brought to gaming with xbox)

I fully expect Sqaure Enix to be bought by Sony. Same shareholders. Easy process.

And every Sqaure franchise will be fully exclusive to Playstation, just like how microsoft made every Bethesda franchise exclusive to xbox

(Final Fantasy>>>>Elder Scrolls etc)

But its still up in the air whether Sony will keep the games for Nintendo exclusive or not . On one hand, it would cut into Nintendo's wickedly brutal dominance in Japan, but on the other hand Sony dont see Nintendo as a competitor

I fully expect Kojima to be bought

I fully expect Sony to make a play for Capcom

Basically you could end up seeing Sony with all the major Japanese publishers. How great would that be!

Capcom will be a little tricky though because it's family owned and there's no indication they want to sell. Where as Sqaure Enix is pretty much guaranteed at this point. Sqaure Enix sold off their western branches to be more attractive to Sony and streamline for an easier purchase.

I consider Sony's 2nd wave of acquisitions to have been Insomniac, HouseMarque, Haven, Bungie, Firesprites etc - these are the aquistions which were a long time in the making and occured before micorsoft's dangerous aggression sprees.

Sony's 3rd wave of aquistions will begin soon, and these are the big mamma jammas coming which are the 1s actually in response to micorsoft's volatile aggression

Last edited:

Savant

11 Jul 2022
I dont think Microsoft’s aquistions will ever bear fruit

Microsoft has a terrible history of mismangaing studios, yet you want me to believe that overnight they will suddenly be able to manage 2 of the largest publishers gaming had? Yeeeah, right

And we know it's already failing...because we have been seeing a mass exodus of talent leaving Bethesda and Activision/Blizzard

Microsoft has been losing talent up the whazoo!!

Once the dust settles, xbox will be a thing of the past with Sony even more dominant. Because everything I'm seeing, I see Sony playing their hand much smarter

Another massive advantage Sony has is that Sony buys for talent

Microsoft buys for IPs and thats a huge mistake because IPs die.

IPs are nothing without talent

The talent makes IPs. So Sony is already betting on what will actually bear all the most fruit

When Sony aquire Sqaure Enix and Capcom, Sony will be in a terrific position. They will keep important key franchises long associated with Playstation, exclusive to Playstation where Microsoft can never take them away, while still pumping out all their massive exclusives while continuing to invest in their original exclusive developers

Japanese developers are far more talented then all the American 3rd party developers. Only Playstation developers in America are better

Last edited:

Savant

11 Jul 2022
@Bryank75 my brother! I finally decided to join lol. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Sony betting big on the talent scene in Canada (Canadian development scene).

Sony/Jade have been recruiting a lot of former Ubisoft employees to the studio! Let's go!

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
@Bryank75 my brother! I finally decided to join lol. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Sony betting big on the talent scene in Canada (Canadian development scene).

Sony/Jade have been recruiting a lot of former Ubisoft employees to the studio! Let's go!

Bro! It's you.... finally! haha

Yeah, great move. I think the talent move is massive and they can have their own mini Ubisoft basically.

I'm hoping for a range of Jade posters to be sold in every gamestop. (Also Jim Ryan posters so this isnt sexist)

I just hope they are focused on making something I will like.

What do you think of it all?

• party
Reactions: Hobbygaming

Deleted member 38

is unimpressed
21 Jun 2022
Bro! It's you.... finally! haha

Yeah, great move. I think the talent move is massive and they can have their own mini Ubisoft basically.

I'm hoping for a range of Jade posters to be sold in every gamestop. (Also Jim Ryan posters so this isnt sexist)

I just hope they are focused on making something I will like.

What do you think of it all?
@Sircaw keep your dirty fins off of her, ok?

T3wCa18.png

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I remember at the time, xbots were talking about how Shu was demoted (you know, the whole, "but Sony ain't the same anymore - cold war happening within Sony" FUD, and blah blah blah) yet after reading this, it's become pretty apparent to me that Shu wanted this position, that he has always been enamored with indies, and now has his true dream position right now with Sony. Pretty awesome stuff. Shu is a great man and will always be a crucial part of PlayStation. Shu seems his most happiest with Sony/Playstation right now. So much for all the xbot FUD lmao. I've never seen more FUD in my life than at the beginning of this PS5 generation before PS5 came out. Microsoft tried so hard only to fail even harder lol - still getting brutally outsold by PS5 and getting murdered by PS5 on games and even on services now (PSN+ revamp). Microsoft FUD can never beat truth
When he was in charge of PlayStation Studios, since the PS1 Shu always published small and unique games in addition to the blockbusters expected from a big publisher like Sony. That relationship evolved to let them selfpublish the game and keep the IP, and even allow them to publish it elsewhere. It's the best option for everyone. He's passionate about unique and innovative games, and as he said in the talk the big blockbusters can't afford it because huge budgets require safer projects, and the indies are the only ones who can allow to go crazy.

He curates and supports indies. Recently a friend from other indie studio told me that recently met the creative director of one of the popular upcoming PlayStation Indies (I won't say which one, but it's one of the popular ones planned for this year) and that Sony fully funded them the whole development and are very happy with them.

Yeah, that 'Shu being demoted' stoy it's only FUD bullshit.

1440p is always better than 720p or lower in Switch or 0p in Xbox.

Reactions: Savant

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
bored waiting GIF

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Naw, it's not about "playing the same game."

its about NOT letting microsoft consolidate the industry

Just like how a great general NEEDS to make defensive maneuvers and take defensive stands in order to ensure his and his peoples survival, Sony will be making DEFENSIVE buys in order to ensure the survival of Playstation.

You can't let a conqueror go unchecked.

How was Genghis Khan stopped? It wasn't by "matching him power for power"

He was thwarted by peoples who had much more to fight for, people fighting for their survival who took a defensive stand (Japanese forces still valiantly fought them off long enough for disasterous weather to even come into play)

And Playstation is far more important to Sony than xbox is to microsoft

In general, it seems to me like console warriors just want to keep perputating this bs about how only microsoft is allowed to buy publishers for exclusivity, and not Sony

Like it's somehow wrong for Sony to respond, and not wrong that microsoft started it

Yes its true,

Sony has the far superior exclusives and the far superior exclusive developers (quality>>>quantity)

That fact does NOT turn into, "Sony doesn't need to do anything in response to Microsoft's consolidation attempts"

Are people just conveniently forgetting microsoft terrible scummy monopolistic history?

You are talking about 2 completely different seperate topics my friend

Sony having the best games and best developers is a complete seperate topic to, microsoft is buying publishers to keep games off Playstation, and Sony needs to defensively start doing something about it

Thankfully, Sony is a very smart forward thinking company - they are in the position they are in for a reason, and so they know they have to respond... and they will, and are already planning to.

Which is why Jim Ryan has said multiple times that BIG AQUISITIONS are coming

And its why Sony just took out, i recall the number being 30billion, from a trust to add to their acquisition budget

The Sony CFO himself said during 1 of their latest earning reports, "we are not limited. We have deep funds too and will spend as much as we need to."

So believe me, Sony IS GOING to make some huge splash waves in gaming, with what's set to come.

Sony ain't dumb or niave like forum posters are. Playstation is vital to Sony and Sony will do everything in its power to ensure the survival of Playstation, once the dust settles from this consolidation phase, which microsoft brought into gaming (just another of the many terrible practices micorsoft brought to gaming with xbox)

I fully expect Sqaure Enix to be bought by Sony. Same shareholders. Easy process.

And every Sqaure franchise will be fully exclusive to Playstation, just like how microsoft made every Bethesda franchise exclusive to xbox

(Final Fantasy>>>>Elder Scrolls etc)

But its still up in the air whether Sony will keep the games for Nintendo exclusive or not . On one hand, it would cut into Nintendo's wickedly brutal dominance in Japan, but on the other hand Sony dont see Nintendo as a competitor

I fully expect Kojima to be bought

I fully expect Sony to make a play for Capcom

Basically you could end up seeing Sony with all the major Japanese publishers. How great would that be!

Capcom will be a little tricky though because it's family owned and there's no indication they want to sell. Where as Sqaure Enix is pretty much guaranteed at this point. Sqaure Enix sold off their western branches to be more attractive to Sony and streamline for an easier purchase.

I consider Sony's 2nd wave of acquisitions to have been Insomniac, HouseMarque, Haven, Bungie, Firesprites etc - these are the aquistions which were a long time in the making and occured before micorsoft's dangerous aggression sprees.

Sony's 3rd wave of aquistions will begin soon, and these are the big mamma jammas coming which are the 1s actually in response to micorsoft's volatile aggression
Wishing Nathan Fillion GIF

Aidendelaney95

9 Jul 2022
So who do y'all thin is next for PlayStation guys?
Would be surprised if Deviation isn't already snapped up behind the scenes. Feel like Playstation could do with something in the FPS genre, so they would be a smart get. Sure, they had Guerrilla and Killzone, but the studio clearly outgrew that series and wanted to spread its wings a bit. And now look where it's gotten them - bringing out one of the best-looking titles this generation to date.

As for Deviation: I really do hope they're working on an FPS, not just to plug the gap Sony needs filling, but to bring new blood and ideas to the genre. Call of Duty and Battlefield are the big guns, but they're just there now.

Reactions: Hobbygaming

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
Would be surprised if Deviation isn't already snapped up behind the scenes. Feel like Playstation could do with something in the FPS genre, so they would be a smart get. Sure, they had Guerrilla and Killzone, but the studio clearly outgrew that series and wanted to spread its wings a bit. And now look where it's gotten them - bringing out one of the best-looking titles this generation to date.

As for Deviation: I really do hope they're working on an FPS, not just to plug the gap Sony needs filling, but to bring new blood and ideas to the genre. Call of Duty and Battlefield are the big guns, but they're just there now.
I would be shocked if Deviation Games isn't revealed by September to join PSS brother. They are the next Respawn and Sony knows this so snapping them is a smart idea and Arrowhead!

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Someone is quietly working on some SOCOM game in the background, right? Im sure I've seen someone stand by that rumor. Was it Colin?