PlayStation: Xbox's Call of Duty offer was "inadequate on many levels"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I am curious what all our Xbox friends will have to say when Sony announces acquisition of Square Enix. Let’s see if they keep their energy.
I am not into cod but as a diablo fan, it does worry me that Microsoft has it in their back pocket now.

Diablo 4 might be coming out on all platforms at the moment but what happens next generation, diablo 5 in ten years' time?

What about the next quake, doom, Wolfenstein, will those dry up?

Buying up a beloved franchise that has been available to all is just not the way to go, make your own unique games if you want to keep exclusive to your platform.

For consumers and gamers alike, this just plain sucks.

D

Deleted member 223

Always nice when the BS is out the way, and pretenses disappear. It's war, and it has always been war. The deal will pass but it's Sony's job to protect its cash cow, that is SIE (Playstation), and thus it's Sony's job to draw blood and make MS bleed for the acquisition in every way possible, that be in the public sphere, regulatory sphere etc. Billions of dollars on the line and at play in this gaming business.... as such it requires seriousness when dealing with competitors.

Square is not an equitable answer to Activision. Japanese publishers are in Sony's bag, specially Square, without ownership. Target market of MS's Xbox are anglo-speaking markets and those swayed by anglo culture/politics...Brazil/Mexico for example. The dudebro casual is the main market of Xbox, more so than on any of the other platforms. As such, only acquiring Western publishers will really hurt MS and its fanbase. Europe has more or less been scrapped clean by Embracer group but there is still CDPR and others (for the right price). Warner Gaming should also be sough after provided the licenses can be locked long term (we're looking 25 yrs + least). If you want to hurt MS, you gotta shop West. Or at least say, Capcom. Bungie in the bag is a good stop-gap, on what should be a much larger play.

With MS, you gotta stomp them out. If you leave them hanging around, like Sony has, this is what happens.

Reactions: toadsage44

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
Which IPs did they buy?
That has nothing to do with it. They have no room to say anything to Microsoft. This is what they have purchased in the last few years... They're trying to kneecap Microsoft while rapidly expanding themselves. They're disingenuous douchebags, fuck them and their grandstanding.

Valkyrie Entertainment
Savage Game Studios
Nixxes Software
Bungie
Insomniac Games
Housemarque
Haven Studios
Firesprite
Fabrik Games
Bluepoint Games

They have no room to talk, none...

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
So basically Jim just “by several they mean 3.”

Again confused where the “lies” are. Smarmy business guys fool people lying to themselves more like it.
The original public statements were "we don't want to take CoD away from playstation", then he backtracked to "several years before stopping it", which Jim Ryan felt he needed to specify.

The lies are obvious, if not unexpected. The only people trying to fool themselves are the ones who think MS isn't being anti-competitive.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Valkyrie Entertainment
Savage Game Studios
Nixxes Software
Bungie
Insomniac Games
Housemarque
Haven Studios
Firesprite
Fabrik Games
Bluepoint Games
Bluepoint Games, Housemarque, damn... so many games they used to release on Xbox! So much content unfairly taken from Xbox gamers! 🤡

If Sony ever pulls Destiny from XBox marketplace, then you can start pointing fingers at them. Especially since they already stated clearly that Bungie will remain multiplatform, no ifs and buts.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
Bluepoint Games, Housemarque, damn... so many games they used to release on Xbox! So much content unfairly taken from Xbox gamers!
Again that is beside the point, Sony is trying to grow while clearly and actively trying to inhibit Microsoft from doing the same. They don't want competition, and are desperately doing anything in their power to stop competition from flourishing.

• haha
Reactions: Old Gamer

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
That has nothing to do with it. They have no room to say anything to Microsoft. This is what they have purchased in the last few years... They're trying to kneecap Microsoft while rapidly expanding themselves. They're disingenuous douchebags, fuck them and their grandstanding.

Valkyrie Entertainment
Savage Game Studios
Nixxes Software
Bungie
Insomniac Games
Housemarque
Haven Studios
Firesprite
Fabrik Games
Bluepoint Games

They have no room to talk, none...
Cool, what games did Xbox lose with those purchases?

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
Cool, what games did Xbox lose with those purchases?
What don't you understand about besides the point? Sony is not entitled to anything. It's a defeatist position for Sony, they're trying to cease the purchase of publishers and studios while actively purchasing them themselves.

They killed any credibility of arguments with their actions over the last two and a half years.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Again that is beside the point, Sony is trying to grow while clearly and actively trying to inhibit Microsoft from doing the same. They don't want competition, and are desperately doing anything in their power to stop competition from flourishing.
No it's not. Buying newly formed studios is growth that does not come at the expense of eating away estabilished third party content from the competition.

When MS bought Playground, consumers of competing consoles were not impacted. That was healthy growth. Same goes for Sony buying Bluepoint.

If Sony had bought EA then announced Mass Effect 4 is a PS5 exclusive, you wouldn't be defending them like you are defending MS.

Saying it's the same thing is incredibly disingenuous.

D

Deleted member 13

My take?

If I were routing for the Sony camp, MS can keep COD. It's garbage anyway compared to all the Sony hits. Even if they have Starfield, DOOM, COD, etc.. they are rehashes of games done for many many console generations. Starfield being one exception. Sony has had the advantage in gaming content for years now (after the X360) and they can easily request from one of their studios to make a COD-killer, Starfield-killer, DOOM-killer, etc... Easily. What MS should be focusing on is patching their studios to make hits - which doesn't seem existent now. I was hoping Starfield would be awesome but after seeing the reveal, I'd rather put my money on ND to make a space-adventure to satisfy my urge. I think Killzone could be brought back and be made to be better or an original IP can be formed.

The only developers Sony have to fear are the 3rd party ones that are NOT bought by MS or Sony. Those will be the ones with the most freedom to create hits (i.e. CDPR, Rockstar, etc.)

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
You know, PlayStation was created out of spite for Nintendo. I wonder if this kerfuffle is going to create something else from PlayStation.
Not sure if it was “spite.” Sony wanted in on the games business. Nintendo pulled out of the deal. Sony decided to go it on their own. Again, not sure that qualifies as spite but We can’t verify everyone’s personal motivation.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
Status
Not open for further replies.