"Presentations & updates for PlayStation’s Strategy & Business May 2024 " Beyond boundaries". |UP| Info released & updated.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
You're ignoring all the things they said that point to the fact that they aren't pursuing acquisitions regarding -GAMING- aggressively. They said they're shifting from a distributor of media to a creator focused role. Kadokawa is a big Japanese publisher and distributor. Sony isn't interested in that. Buying Fromsoft is something they would do, but why would Kadokawa let them go without a VAST overpay from Sony, something they aren't going to do? They specifically said any acquisitions would have to be looked at to see if it made sense financially. Also youre ignoring the fact that they said specifically that they aren't looking to assume a leadership role in the creative space, but rather to support creators with the toolsets and technology they're developing.

I'm not ignoring everything. I'm just not focusing on PR nonsense that doesn't add up to their actions.

Try and explain your argument with logic against the facts as follows

• Sony bought 14.09 percent of FromSoftware
  • They also bought 1.93 percent of Kadokawa
    • These smaller strategic investments are often about deepening relationships and creating collaborations that lead to acquisitions
  • Bloomberg and others report that Sony is looking to buy MechaComics for 1.3 billion
    • MechaComic is a distributor of manga they don't create manga
  • Tencent already owns a large percentage of FromSoftware about 15 or 16 percent, it may be significantly easier to buy Kadokawa to push them out, and there are some synergies making buying Kadokawa make sense
  • They're not looking to assume a leadership role in the creative space then why are they looking to buy Paramount Global?
    • You're not reading the room

Reactions: ApolloHelios

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I'm not ignoring everything. I'm just not focusing on PR nonsense that doesn't add up to their actions.

Try and explain your argument with logic against the facts as follows

• Sony bought 14.09 percent of FromSoftware
  • They also bought 1.93 percent of Kadokawa
    • These smaller strategic investments are often about deepening relationships and creating collaborations that lead to acquisitions
  • Bloomberg and others report that Sony is looking to buy MechaComics for 1.3 billion
    • MechaComic is a distributor of manga they don't create manga
  • Tencent already owns a large percentage of FromSoftware about 15 or 16 percent, it may be significantly easier to buy Kadokawa to push them out, and there are some synergies making buying Kadokawa make sense
  • They're not looking to assume a leadership role in the creative space then why are they looking to buy Paramount Global?
    • You're not reading the room
How much do you think they're investing to acquire a 51% stake in paramount? That will take all 12 billion and then some.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
How much do you think they're investing to acquire a 51% stake in paramount? That will take all 12 billion and then some.

The proposed bid was 26 billion. 50+1 would be at least 13 billion, more than the entire M&A budget listed including the stock buybacks AND the music catalog acquisitions. And it would not even include their bid for MechaComic which is at 1.3 billion...

Once again, you're not able to make sense of that, because you aren't paying attention.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The proposed bid was 26 billion. 50+1 would be at least 13 billion, more than the entire M&A budget listed including the stock buybacks AND the music catalog acquisitions. And it would not even include their bid for MechaComic which is at 1.3 billion...

Once again, you're not able to make sense of that, because you aren't paying attention.
Lol okay whatever you say bro.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: ApolloHelios

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I asked you to respond to facts and you simply weren't able to...

Not trying to be a leader on content creation? Why are they buying Paramount Global? Don't want to be a distributor (patently false) why do they want Mecha Comic?

Reality just doesn't add up to what you're saying here.
You're putting words in my mouth.
Paramount isn't primarily a content creator. They are a platform that licenses a lot of 3rd party content. Their biggest asset is their TV networks, which are dying.

Also they didn't say they don't want to be a distributor, they said they were SHIFTING AWAY from it. What does shifting away mean? This is a shareholder call, they aren't allowed to lie.

Listen, clearly at this point we're talking past each other. Feel free to tag me if they bid for Kadokawa or another big 3rd party game pub.

Last edited:

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
You're putting words in my mouth.
Paramount isn't primarily a content creator. They are a platform that licenses a lot of 3rd party content. Their biggest asset is their TV networks, which are dying.

Also they didn't say they don't want to be a distributor, they said they were SHIFTING AWAY from it. What does shifting away mean? This is a shareholder call, they aren't allowed to lie.

Listen, clearly at this point we're talking past each other. Feel free to tag me if they bid for Kadokawa or another big 3rd party game pub.

You're embarrassing yourself.

Their film studio is what is the most valuable. Sony doesn't even want the tv networks apparently.

Shifitng away from it, while buying a distributor for 1.3 billion, but somehow they won't buy Kadokawa because they're a distributor?

It's not a lie, it's obfuscation. They're actively saying they're going to try to not go over budget in M&A while having their largest M&A in early phases...

Oh trust me I will tag you, but you'll refuse to even eat crow.

• haha
Reactions: anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
You're embarrassing yourself.

Their film studio is what is the most valuable. Sony doesn't even want the tv networks apparently.

Shifitng away from it, while buying a distributor for 1.3 billion, but somehow they won't buy Kadokawa because they're a distributor?

It's not a lie, it's obfuscation. They're actively saying they're going to try to not go over budget in M&A while having their largest M&A in early phases...

Oh trust me I will tag you, but you'll refuse to even eat crow.
LMAOOOOOO might not want to say someone's embarrassing themselves when you have no clue what you're talking about yourself. hilarious2.jpg

hilarious.jpg

g.foolcdn.png

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
LMAOOOOOO might not want to say someone's embarrassing themselves when you have no clue what you're talking about yourself.View attachment 5131

View attachment 5130

View attachment 5132

You'd do well to actually research the things you're looking at. Just how you weren't paying attention to what strategic investment meant on sony's slides, you're not paying attention here.

First TV media isn't just the network revenue and income, you're combining a lot of things in here without realizing it (at best) or being purposefully deceptive (at worst). This includes the tv filming production and broadcast, one in which sony would keep and the other that they can't keep.

Second, the value of the film studio and its portfolio can't be captured simply by looking at annual operating income. All you're looking at there is how much the movies made at the theater in a given year. Ignoring the income generated on network/cable tv and streaming.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
You'd do well to actually research the things you're looking at. Just how you weren't paying attention to what strategic investment meant on sony's slides, you're not paying attention here.

First TV media isn't just the network revenue and income, you're combining a lot of things in here without realizing it (at best) or being purposefully deceptive (at worst). This includes the tv filming production and broadcast, one in which sony would keep and the other that they can't keep.

Second, the value of the film studio and its portfolio can't be captured simply by looking at annual operating income. All you're looking at there is how much the movies made at the theater in a given year. Ignoring the income generated on network/cable tv and streaming.
Indiana Pacers Sport GIF by NBA

lmao.jpg
Maybe it's time for YOU to do some research.

Paramount's TV networks get most of their revenue from ADVERTISING. not their filming (nice try to shift goalposts btw)

lmao2.jpg

You really aren't good at this. Just give it up, we can do this all day and you will still be wrong about everything.

Reactions: Cool hand luke

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Indiana Pacers Sport GIF by NBA

View attachment 5133
Maybe it's time for YOU to do some research.

Paramount's TV networks get most of their revenue from ADVERTISING. not their filming (nice try to shift goalposts btw)

View attachment 5134

You really aren't good at this. Just give it up, we can do this all day and you will still be wrong about everything.

How do you think they're gaining advertising dollars? What do you think people are watching in between the ads? What do you think they're watching on the streaming services?

Sony can't keep CBS. At most they'd be able to own 25% of it. All that NFL revenue... gone.

Sony isn't interested in the network television channels. They're interested in the content and the IP.

Again, you're look at "TV Media" and extrapolating things that either sony can't keep or won't keep in addition to the revenue derived from its content creation.

You also continue to conflate value with annual income as if assets themselves don't have value...

https://www.morningstar.com/news/ma...n-to-break-up-paramount-if-their-bid-succeeds

• haha

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
How do you think they're gaining advertising dollars? What do you think people are watching in between the ads? What do you think they're watching on the streaming services?

Sony can't keep CBS. At most they'd be able to own 25% of it. All that NFL revenue... gone.

Sony isn't interested in the network television channels. They're interested in the content and the IP.

Again, you're look at "TV Media" and extrapolating things that either sony can't keep or won't keep in addition to the revenue derived from its content creation.

You also continue to conflate value with annual income as if assets themselves don't have value...

https://www.morningstar.com/news/ma...n-to-break-up-paramount-if-their-bid-succeeds
So you think they film all their TV content at Paramount Film studios? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
So you think they film all their TV content at Paramount Film studios? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Where did I say that?

What I said was that the film studio had more value than the networks (i.e. mtv, bet, nickelodeon). So in response you cite all revenue from all of tv regardless of the source of that revenue, which includes CBS, which Sony can't own. You compare it to the income generated from the films while in the theater while ignoring that these generate revenue outside of the theater which is captured by a different segment in the streaming segment.

You also ignore that value isn't limited to just annual income, but also assets, again for which the film studio has plenty.

If/when Sony buys Paramount Global we're going to see first hand what happens when the company gets broken up and how much the networks sell for compared to what they paid for the film studios, and what is going to be your response, when it's significantly less?

• haha

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

The studio at Paramount is the 'asset' that people want in a merger, says Puck's Matt Belloni​

>listening to TV analysts

ok man we're clearly scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

The TV networks that Paramount owns all have their own film studios, headquarters, and locations. Some of them are in Cali; others, like Comedy Central, are in New York.
They are not part of the film studio, which does some syndicated TV shows and theatrical releases (and obv some straight-to-consumer stuff for their subscription service).

The TV networks are by and large independent. And they're still the largest source of revenue the company has. If you listen to the analysts that say the TV networks are worthless and everyone only wants the film studio and its IP/catalogue then you have to realize that that means that this is the biggest overpay in the history of overpays. And the TV networks still produce plenty of very valuable content. And the biggest thing is... the TV networks are still profitable. The film portion is not, and hasn't been for 2 years (and then only slightly and for a single quarter, when the Top Gun remake was released). Why would Sony be looking to acquire this when their stated goal was to focus on profitability?

Make it make sense.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
>listening to TV analysts

ok man we're clearly scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

The TV networks that Paramount owns all have their own film studios, headquarters, and locations. Some of them are in Cali; others, like Comedy Central, are in New York.
They are not part of the film studio, which does some syndicated TV shows and theatrical releases (and obv some straight-to-consumer stuff for their subscription service).

The TV networks are by and large independent. And they're still the largest source of revenue the company has. If you listen to the analysts that say the TV networks are worthless and everyone only wants the film studio and its IP/catalogue then you have to realize that that means that this is the biggest overpay in the history of overpays. And the TV networks still produce plenty of very valuable content. And the biggest thing is... the TV networks are still profitable. The film portion is not, and hasn't been for 2 years (and then only slightly and for a single quarter, when the Top Gun remake was released). Why would Sony be looking to acquire this when their stated goal was to focus on profitability?

Make it make sense.

You don't want it to make sense.

You won't see a single analyst suggest that the linear networks have real value. They're profitable now, but that profit is rapidly in decline.

Again the film studio is what has actual long term value. The IP and the assets. The same goes with the TV IP, which you're conflating with the networks themselves.

Overpay? First you don't know what Sony is paying at all. Second, you don't know how much they'll eventually get for the assets that they don't want or whether they can put together a deal that doesn't include them.

Sony knows and understands that it's entirely too small in the pictures business. They're looking for additional scale and what they can do is they can streamline a lot of the costs that Paramount is currently spending money on. All the back office stuff can be removed entirely, i.e. they can run Paramount more profitably than Paramount can and on top of that, they get tremendous IP and assets that I've been trying to explain to you for hours now that have true value.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Sony will have two options with the new found scale that they have. They can either try to boost Paramount+ into a real competitor to Netflix or they can shutter it and sell the combined studio groups content to different streamers.

I'm of the mind that I think they should try to make a go out of Paramount+. It's at 71 million subscribers. Eventually you're going to have 3-4 primary streaming platforms on the market. A couple cycles without content and you can really eat into Netflix's market. There are also global implications to Netflix's 250 million subscriber total.

I think right now everyone pretty much assumes it's going to be

Netflix, Amazon, Disney, Max

And maybe it will be, but I think Paramount+ has a lot of potential, especially if bundled with PS+ and Crunchyroll. Don't get me started on Sony buying Tidal, and putting together a true super service subscription of their own.

But what everyone agrees with is the networks don't have value. CBS is the only one that has value and Sony can't own it.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
At the end of the day we don't know what Sony's bid is going to look like.

What we know is that Paramount is underwater with debt and that they're running low on quality suitors.

People thought that WBD would be a perfect merger for them but we're talking about serious debt between the two companies.

You say Sony is overpaying, but they know there is a chance to get these assets at bargain bin pricing.

Sony/Apollo could also sell CBS to WarnerDiscovery for billions and then use Paramount+ and the networks as riders or they could look to sell the networks to Comcast.

But you're dead wrong on the networks being the thing of value here.

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
I swear it is like groundhogs day.

Sony isn't making any strategy announcements at the segment meeting. It's literally just an in detail update on how the business is doing. They do this every year.
Yeah and there are mods in this very thread who spread bullshit like that as if it can be expected out of that meeting...