"Presentations & updates for PlayStation’s Strategy & Business May 2024 " Beyond boundaries". |UP| Info released & updated.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
so basically nothing changes, games come to the console, they sell hardware, then, 18 - 24 months later when the sales are stagnated, they go to PC, we'll see a much bigger expansion in the mobile area in the next years, and there is a high chance Sony stops supporting Steam and EGS on their releases because of Xbox putting these storefronts on their next console, so these games both single/multiplayer will probably be exclusive to the PlayStation PC launcher

Reactions: TigerFang

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
So I went and watched the whole thing. I don't think there's anything new or drastic they announced. Of course they had to insert the AI buzzword since all the investors and analysts are losing their minds over it now, but it seems like they'll be quite conservative about it. In fact everything they talked about in the meeting seemed like they were going to make conservative moves in the mid term and consolidate the gains they've had. Mostly focused on increasing profitability. It's also interesting that the two big products they were lining up behind were image sensors and game engines. Not TVs, not music, not film. kinda feels like this was, in a way, the Japanese version of Steve ballmer's "developers developers developers developers" rant

That's certainly one takeaway, but the other takeaway is that they're promising up to 12 billion USD in M&A for the next 3 years and that almost certainly isn't accounting for Paramount, which they're not willing to comment on just yet.

I don't think they're looking to be all that conservative at all. I think they recognize that they're really in quite a dangerous position as kind of this small entertainment company competing with tech giants and that if they don't make moves soon they'll be bullied out of the market.

I think them jumping to buy Paramount shows that they were afraid that Sony Pictures was too small to compete and that Sony Pictures + Paramount puts them right up there with Disney and WBD.

I think that same mentality will follow through to video games, where I can see them making several moves both large and small depending on what happens with Paramount.

If they get Paramount, they're going to need more studios. It would make a ton of sense to go after Toys For Bob for example to help with some of these Nickelodeon properties. If WBD looks to divest from Rocksteady, I think that would be a major opportunity for Sony to shift Insomniac off of Spider-Man and open them up to more things earlier.

But I could also see them taking medium to large shots: Kadokawa/FromSoftware has to be the biggest target for Sony right now, but long term T2 should be their target. A stock swap with T2 makes a ton of long term sense.

Anywho we're probably a month to two months away from this Paramount deal heating up or falling flat. If Sony moves forward and Paramount accepts a bid, Sony's public strategy is going to change drastically as they sell shareholders on the value here.

Reactions: Cool hand luke

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Did they actually said that?
in this conference from yesterday they shared plans for the next 10 years of their divisions, no mention of PC or day and date whatsoever, if they were to change something this significant they would announce it there

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Sony announced they plan to use AI to lower the budget of the titles when it comes to dubbing/localization and a lot of other things, hopefully they can keep budgets in the range of 150/200M max

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Wiol

Will have to wait till may 30th to get the full meeting that more focus on PS atleast that’s what someone said

in this conference from yesterday they shared plans for the next 10 years of their divisions, no mention of PC or day and date whatsoever, if they were to change something this significant they would announce it there

Neither of these statements are accurate.

The business segment meeting is an update on the financials and foundation of each business segment. This isn't a forum for announcements.

And the strategy meeting isn't an in-depth 10 year strategic plan where they would discuss the minutia of whether they would go day and date on PC.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
so basically nothing changes, games come to the console, they sell hardware, then, 18 - 24 months later when the sales are stagnated, they go to PC, we'll see a much bigger expansion in the mobile area in the next years, and there is a high chance Sony stops supporting Steam and EGS on their releases because of Xbox putting these storefronts on their next console, so these games both single/multiplayer will probably be exclusive to the PlayStation PC launcher
They wouldn’t care about the multiplayer as those would be meant to be pure money makers and would want in most hands possibke

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I watched it yesterday, that is why I was asking since I didn't remember seeing anything about it. They hardly mention PlayStation consoles as well, not mentioning PC doesn't mean anything. Not confirming something is nowhere near the same as denying it, everything points towards and intensification of PC ports if you look at that trend since 2019.

When it comes to PC they just go ahead and do it, most of what they say in advance is meant to soften the blow and to spin it as a great risk free move.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Box

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
That's because you don't realize how much work putting together showcases are. You also don't realize/care that Sony has more concerns than advertising to existing customers.

Customer Acquisition costs vs Customer Retention costs.

When it comes to dollars spent on marketing, you definitely want to focus on customer acquisition, it's why CAC is more expensive than CRC.

I'm not even sure that a May showcase even makes sense.

What are Sony's biggest priorities for the fiscal year?

• PS5 Pro Launch - October/November
  • Destiny 2 Final Shape - June
  • Concord - Presumably Fall
  • Until Dawn - Presumably Fall
  • Continued sales of Helldivers 2 - Year round
A state of play focusing on Destiny 2 Final Shape, Concord, and Until Dawn makes more sense than a showcase. I won't be upset if they do a showcase, but I'll be immediately wondering what they're going to do in September to promote the PS5 Pro.

A September showcase makes WAY more sense as a PS5 2.0 launch showing what's immediately available for PS5 Pro and teasing for FY2025 and maybe FY2026.

Bungie announced yesterday that they’re doing TWO ViDoc reveals for Final Shape with Part 1 launching this afternoon at just under ten minutes in length.

Considering it’s out in less than two weeks… I don’t think it’ll be at a showcase. They kinda got all that stuff covered with their own stuff but only really exposing it to already existing fans.

With that said, if there is a showcase… I expect Marathon to show with actual gameplay even if it’s likely a 2025 game.