"Presentations & updates for PlayStation’s Strategy & Business May 2024 " Beyond boundaries". |UP| Info released & updated.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sony announced they plan to use AI to lower the budget of the titles when it comes to dubbing/localization and a lot of other things, hopefully they can keep budgets in the range of 150/200M max
As Sony said, using AI to lipsync in games to the different languages (both dubs or subtitles) is somehing they already implemented in Marvel's Spider-Man 2.

In the past I'd say no other game offered lipsync to all languages (at least not to the big list of languages supported by Sony on their games), because it would be a very tedious and long (plus pretty likely expensive) work to do it manually.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
in this conference from yesterday they shared plans for the next 10 years of their divisions, no mention of PC or day and date whatsoever, if they were to change something this significant they would announce it there
Their Corporate Stratetgy Meeting often is just to share a high level view of their current broad corporate vision and also broadly speaking what they plan to do in terms of vision, but without going very specific with stuff.

As I remember they never made here announcements of things like new games, new services or some important business model change.

In recent years they reported their PC specific refenue and forecast in their Business Segment Meeting (May 30th, 2024), and sometimes also shared some additional sales data from some recent PC release. Plus also mentioned PC as one of their growth pilars. But regarding the distance between PS and PC releases as I remember they never mentioned it there.

They mentioned instead in interviews or other places that for PS Studios their plan regarding distances was to make some experiments but to keep the PC release around a couple years after the original release (so not counting PS5 remasters/remakes). With the exception of some GaaS that might debut day one on PC.

Meaning, a remake/remaster could appear on PC a year after PS5 release, or even at the same time. But the distance between the original PS release and the PC port would be around 2 years or more. One of the multiple times they mentioned, Hermen said that after some experiments they were happy with this.

Their PC business is performing better than expected and has a huge ROI, so I assume they won't change their strategy.

Lol did anyone think that is real?
Apparently VGC.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Doomers and gloomers didn't get their Day 1 PC

Don’t rejoice too soon
JsIki8X.jpg

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
That's certainly one takeaway, but the other takeaway is that they're promising up to 12 billion USD in M&A for the next 3 years and that almost certainly isn't accounting for Paramount, which they're not willing to comment on just yet.

I don't think they're looking to be all that conservative at all. I think they recognize that they're really in quite a dangerous position as kind of this small entertainment company competing with tech giants and that if they don't make moves soon they'll be bullied out of the market.

I think them jumping to buy Paramount shows that they were afraid that Sony Pictures was too small to compete and that Sony Pictures + Paramount puts them right up there with Disney and WBD.

I think that same mentality will follow through to video games, where I can see them making several moves both large and small depending on what happens with Paramount.

If they get Paramount, they're going to need more studios. It would make a ton of sense to go after Toys For Bob for example to help with some of these Nickelodeon properties. If WBD looks to divest from Rocksteady, I think that would be a major opportunity for Sony to shift Insomniac off of Spider-Man and open them up to more things earlier.

But I could also see them taking medium to large shots: Kadokawa/FromSoftware has to be the biggest target for Sony right now, but long term T2 should be their target. A stock swap with T2 makes a ton of long term sense.

Anywho we're probably a month to two months away from this Paramount deal heating up or falling flat. If Sony moves forward and Paramount accepts a bid, Sony's public strategy is going to change drastically as they sell shareholders on the value here.
You missed the fact that a large portion of that 12 billion is marked flexibly for stock buybacks.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
You missed the fact that a large portion of that 12 billion is marked flexibly for stock buybacks.

I didn't miss that. It is why I said up to... rather than just saying 12 billion. They have not announced how much stock they're buying back and thus there is no real way to determine how much of that 12 billion will actually end up going to buybacks.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Don’t rejoice too soon
JsIki8X.jpg

I swear it is like groundhogs day.

Sony isn't making any strategy announcements at the segment meeting. It's literally just an in detail update on how the business is doing. They do this every year.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I didn't miss that. It is why I said up to... rather than just saying 12 billion. They have not announced how much stock they're buying back and thus there is no real way to determine how much of that 12 billion will actually end up going to buybacks.
image.png
Just look at how much of their capital is going to shareholder returns. It's clearly the largest or 2nd largest bloc on their investment allocation. That's what they're focused on.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
View attachment 5129
Just look at how much of their capital is going to shareholder returns. It's clearly the largest or 2nd largest bloc on their investment allocation. That's what they're focused on.

Shareholder returns does not mean buybacks... if you actually read the slide the buybacks are part of the 1.8 trillion yen. 1.8 trillion yen = 11.5 billion USD.

They haven't set how much of that will be stockbuy back.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Shareholder returns does not mean buybacks... if you actually read the slide the buybacks are part of the 1.8 trillion yen. 1.8 trillion yen = 11.5 billion USD.

They haven't set how much of that will be stockbuy back.
Right. But setting such a large chunk aside for shareholder returns means they're going to focus on the share price. Which means stock buybacks will definitely be a big lever they'll be pulling on.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Right. But setting such a large chunk aside for shareholder returns means they're going to focus on the share price. Which means stock buybacks will definitely be a big lever they'll be pulling on.

Theyre doing stock buybacks because the stock is undervalued. It has nothing to do with shareholder returns. You've misinterpreted this.

You have an increase of 500 billion yen in strategic investment above the previous mid range strategy. Overall they're planning on doing more M&A than the previous strategy. That M&A included over 3.6 billion just for SIE.

It's very likely that SIE will get the same or more investment in the next 3 years. I would not be surprised if they bought FromSoftware/Kadokawa.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Theyre doing stock buybacks because the stock is undervalued. It has nothing to do with shareholder returns. You've misinterpreted this.

You have an increase of 500 billion yen in strategic investment above the previous mid range strategy. Overall they're planning on doing more M&A than the previous strategy. That M&A included over 3.6 billion just for SIE.

It's very likely that SIE will get the same or more investment in the next 3 years. I would not be surprised if they bought FromSoftware/Kadokawa.
I don't really think kadokawa fits in their portfolio without a ton of redundancy. Also you need to listen to their q&a again. They specifically said that the previous midrange plan was about growth in acquisitions and the next midrange plan is about getting return on investment. That doesn't sound like aggressive acquisitions unless they lucksack into one.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I don't really think kadokawa fits in their portfolio without a ton of redundancy. Also you need to listen to their q&a again. They specifically said that the previous midrange plan was about growth in acquisitions and the next midrange plan is about getting return on investment. That doesn't sound like aggressive acquisitions unless they lucksack into one.

You continue to conflate two things. They are looking for more profitability, but they also said they were going to spend more on acquisitions than they did in the previous plan.

That's aggressive.

They're looking at making their biggest M&A of all time in Paramount Globa. That's aggressive.

They're rumored to be looking at buying a manga platform in Japan for a billion plus dollars, that's aggressive.

Kadokawa absolutely fits into that. And FromSoftware absolutely fits in with Sony and can be partnered with Bluepoint. They'd own Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring. It's likely they would be able to buy Dark Souls and Sekiro if it came down to it.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Where did they said this?
One of the journalist should’ve ask if PS consider PC a direct competitor per Jim Ryan why is PS porting games & diminishing its platform & storefront to benefit a direct competitor & make there competitors become more defacto in gaming. What’s the strategy? Is it short term profits at the cost of making competitors greater platform & storefront for gaming? Because that’s what there doing w these PC port.

Not even Steam, Apple, Nintendo, Netflix or Disney does self cannibalizing to its platform & storefront & find other means to expand ip or bring more profits that don’t have negative effects or short term upside for medium to long term damages

Reactions: SSfox and Pogo

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Kadokawa absolutely fits into that. And FromSoftware absolutely fits in with Sony and can be partnered with Bluepoint. They'd own Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring. It's likely they would be able to buy Dark Souls and Sekiro if it came down to it.
Kadokawa does makes a lot of sense especially with Fromsoft buying all rights to Elden Ring back.

Kadokawa are heavy in manga/anime & own couple of anime studios which Sony said it was interested in expanding & bolstering.

Kadokawa also owns a couple of mobile studios that could be nurtured to make genshin impact style gatcha games or expanded to work on PS ip & translate them to the Asia market with either more anime style art style or mobile game.

Kadokawa owns 2 notable game studios imo with ofc Fromsoft with has a lot of history with PlayStation but also Spike chunsoft who made the recent raincode game which wasn’t a bad JRPG.

Sony could have Fromsoft & Bluepoint continue working on the souls universe having a team in Fromsoft work on Bloodborne 2 & have a 2nd team in Bluepoint working on a Demon Souls 2 are easy money printers & can further flesh out those 2 franchises & universe & expand them to movie, films & anime. Pretty disappointing Bluepoint is working on a new ip & not Bloodborne remake or Demon Souls 2 they did amazing work on Demon souls remake. Hell even having Bluepoint remake both inFAMOUS 1 & 2 would be glorious on the PS5 & when it’s a massive success selling 10 million Sony can push Suckerpunch to reboot inFAMOUS or make a inFAMOUS 3 starring Colt. A inFAMOUS game w 4 player online coop would be sick

A lot of synergy that would benefit Sony as a whole & help PS. Synergies across anime, manga, games, mobile games, production studios/publishing & there worth around 2-3 billion which is pretty low imo Fromsoft itself is worth more then 1 billion the Elden ring universe can be turned into so many films, tv shows & anime that they could probably make back there entire acquisition solely of Fromsoft. I don’t think that’s far fetch to say

I’d say Kadokawa > Paramount & WB > Paramount. Not sure how much Paramount final price will be but it’s rumored that Sony will only buy the studios & ip/movie rights which can be less then 26 billion & Apollo takes the other half like Paramount+ CBS MTV & other ip that Sony likely don’t want or need.

WB will sell in 2025. It’s been long time rumored discovery would sell WB due to them being more of a hassle to manage WB ip in movies, films, animation, games & MAX (which is a bad name should’ve been called WB+) WB ip has massive potential in movies, animation, games & parks but will never be tap with the horrible leadership they have rn

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
You continue to conflate two things. They are looking for more profitability, but they also said they were going to spend more on acquisitions than they did in the previous plan.

That's aggressive.

They're looking at making their biggest M&A of all time in Paramount Globa. That's aggressive.

They're rumored to be looking at buying a manga platform in Japan for a billion plus dollars, that's aggressive.

You're ignoring all the things they said that point to the fact that they aren't pursuing acquisitions regarding -GAMING- aggressively. They said they're shifting from a distributor of media to a creator focused role. Kadokawa is a big Japanese publisher and distributor. Sony isn't interested in that. Buying Fromsoft is something they would do, but why would Kadokawa let them go without a VAST overpay from Sony, something they aren't going to do? They specifically said any acquisitions would have to be looked at to see if it made sense financially. Also youre ignoring the fact that they said specifically that they aren't looking to assume a leadership role in the creative space, but rather to support creators with the toolsets and technology they're developing.