PS5 has sold more than 533,000 units In February NPD, breaking the record set by PS2 in 2005

Welfare

Forum Veteran
23 Jan 2023
Since you like sales numbers, go check how many copies Fallout 4 sold on release and how many of those were on PS4. Here's a hint: More than half.
Between it and Xbox? Okay sure, what does that have to do with anything?

Are we forgetting Game Pass exists? $10 on Xbox or $5 on PC for a GP sub and you can play Starfield for a month.

Forza Horizon 5 hit 10M players in a week.
Halo Infinite did 20M in two months.

A game like High on Life did millions of players in a week.

End of September we will probably hear Starfield crossed 20M players. You think sales numbers are going to matter when Microsoft wants GP subs to go up? The whole point is that Starfield will 99.9% be a massive launch. The doubt is kind of weird.

Also, also, Redfall will not be indicative of anything. It's an Arkane title, look at Deathloop and Ghostwire, crickets as PS5 exclusives. Maybe Redfall does decent on Xbox Game Pass due to co op games doing well on there in general but Redfall is in no way on the calibur of Starfield.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
20 million Halo Infinite players my fucking balls

If Starfield is gamepass pc as well it’s going to hemorrhage a shit ton of money.

Anyone should be able to tell Redfall will be a flop when it comes to sustaining a player base.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Player numbers are not sales. Come on with this misleading metric.

Sales aren’t relevant to a f2p piece of software anyway (revenue would be) and that fake number was for the f2p PvP portion too. Now Halo has 20,000 players a day and has made the least money of any Halo game ever.

MS is the king of spinning failure.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Inappropriate behavior

Are we forgetting Game Pass exists? $10 on Xbox or $5 on PC for a GP sub and you can play Starfield for a month.

End of September we will probably hear Starfield crossed 20M players. You think sales numbers are going to matter when Microsoft wants GP subs to go up? The whole point is that Starfield will 99.9% be a massive launch. The doubt is kind of weird.

Also, also, Redfall will not be indicative of anything. It's an Arkane title, look at Deathloop and Ghostwire, crickets as PS5 exclusives. Maybe Redfall does decent on Xbox Game Pass due to co op games doing well on there in general but Redfall is in no way on the calibur of Starfield.
*calibre

The rest of your fanboy wet dreams and detachment from reality aren’t worth addressing.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
That teaser was playing automatically anytime you clicked on something on youtube. When you actually look at Starfield vids on youtube the views are low. Redfall is even worse. People lost interest in Bethesda games.

Steam is the only place Starfield might sale very well. Maybe Hogwarts Legacy numbers? It should.

If they release an ultimate edition with "play early access 4 days" on Xbox it might help the sale there.

Redfall is the first big test. It's a big AAA so it should be around 30k+ CC on Steam (Atomic Heart and Wo Long both did higher) so we'll see.

I've noticed when people bring up Starfield's probable success, they usually use Skyrim and Fallout 4 as proof that it will do huge numbers. However, Fallout 76 should be part of the conversation too. From its broken release, greedy MTX and sub, lies about canvas bags, and all the other stuff that went down - it left an impression on many people and has influenced perception about Bethesda. I think for many there is a more cautious attitude towards Bethesda now. Possibly more will wait for reviews and technical breakbowns before buying Starfield which is a reasonable approach to take.

Last edited:

Welfare

Forum Veteran
23 Jan 2023
I feel like I'm in 2019 or something on this forum. Software sales numbers have been irrelevant to Xbox for years. Acting like +10M people playing a game in a short amount of time isn't impressive is out of date.
*calibre

The rest of your fanboy wet dreams and detachment from reality aren’t worth addressing.
*Autocorrect

I've had my phone "correct" a word I'm typing into something completely different. Don't know why it turned caliber into a u.

You're a troll anyway. Saying Starfield is going to have a massive launch is not detached from reality unless you have a massive hate boner for Xbox.
I've noticed when people bring up Starfield's probable success, they usually use Skyrim and Fallout 4 as proof that it will do huge numbers. However, Fallout 76 should be part of the conversation too. From its broken release, greedy MTX and sub, lies about canvas bags, and all the other stuff that went down - it left an impression on many people and has influenced perception about Bethesda. I think for many there is a more cautious attitude towards Bethesda now. Possibly more will wait for reviews and technical breakbowns before buying Starfield which is a reasonable approach to take.
25M people can just download it the day it comes out, no need to wait to buy it.

Fallout 76 has also somewhat turned around the launch woes it had. 2.5M new players in a year, going from 11M in November 2021 to 13.5M in December 2022.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
76 is moderately successful. More so than let’s say sea of thieves but PlayStation plays a huge part in that.

Im not gonna sit here and bash 76. As far as survival genre goes only 76 and Ark have performed well on console.

There’s some serious competition in the genre coming with the next round of survival games and I don’t think 76 has done much passed seasonal events in years. I’m aware they’ve improved cyclical endgame activities but no substantial narrative. I could be wrong. I dropped the game once ms bought Bethesda but I enjoyed my time with it. Not much like it and Austin studio saved the game sorta. *

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
25M people can just download it the day it comes out, no need to wait to buy it.

Fallout 76 has also somewhat turned around the launch woes it had. 2.5M new players in a year, going from 11M in November 2021 to 13.5M in December 2022.

Projecting sales and downloads is just that - a projection - ie. an opinion in this case. What I'm saying is that while bringing up sales figures for previous titles as proof of success for a future release, it is remiss to dismiss the most recent big release of Bethesda's as having no impact whatsoever.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I feel like I'm in 2019 or something on this forum. Software sales numbers have been irrelevant to Xbox for years. Acting like +10M people playing a game in a short amount of time isn't impressive is out of date.

*Autocorrect

I've had my phone "correct" a word I'm typing into something completely different. Don't know why it turned caliber into a u.

You're a troll anyway. Saying Starfield is going to have a massive launch is not detached from reality unless you have a massive hate boner for Xbox.

Expecting Starfield to reach the numbers that even Fallout 4 did after MS canned the biggest console audience’s version and is literally giving the game away on a subscription you can get in a bag of chips pretty much guarantees it isn’t going to be a big sales success.

Maybe instead of pulling fantasy numbers out of your ass, you should pull your head out of it.

And I’d rather be a troll than a delusional twit anyday. I can stop “trolling”, but you’ll never have an IQ above room temperature. In Celsius.

Well, maybe you’ll have an average IQ if you “estimate” it the same way you do your Xbox sales numbers.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

*Autocorrect

How can you say if software sales numbers are irrelevant to Microsoft or not? Do you work for them at a high enough level to have access to board-level decisions? The fact that they don't present sales numbers doesn't indicate they "don't care about them" - rather that they don't want to share them with investors, and investors haven't pushed back on it. Saying they don't care about software sales numbers is frankly bordering on delusion; there isn't a single corporation, particularly publicly-traded, that doesn't care about revenue, profits, margins, etc. Otherwise Microsoft wouldn't have gone through massive layoffs recently.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

I thought Installbase was mostly about game sales? It's weird that -for xbox only- you think sales are irrelevant.

Many games on PS+ gets millions of players. Pretty much all of Sony first-party were on there and yet they don't brag about "players". They report sales. Most publishers also report sales even if their games were on PS+/GP.

Xbox is the only outlier that reports number of players and their fans brag about them like it means something.

I'm sure more than 50 millions people played God of War. So what?

F2P games and mobile games also get millions of players. I'm not impressed by that sorry.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Wtf is this? We're not talking about relevance to Xbox. We're talking about success, and we'll be measuring that in dollars, not planets visited or raiders killed, thanks.

Either the game grows GP subscribers massively (we're talking 10s of millions) and/or moves consoles, or it sells units at full price in line with previous Bethesda RPGs.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Yet the trophy levels for those games are puny, meaning they were installed and played for a few minutes, then abandoned. It means fuck all that 20M people played game X when the revenue it made is that divided by 10 (made up numbers to make a point).

You keep saying "massive launch" when objectively it will sell much less than previous bethesda titles.

But hey, if you want to count installing and playing as massive, get yourself to torrent trackers and count those as well.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

*Autocorrect

Software sales is only irrelevant because it’s the narrative MS tries to pain. It’s not irrelevant for the rest of the industry.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Software sales is only irrelevant because it’s the narrative MS tries to pain. It’s not irrelevant for the rest of the industry.
You see, everything under Xbox is a success no matter what, Series S, Halo Infinite, Fallout 76, Sea of Thieves, Gamepass, Starfield, DirectX 12, you name it.

• haha
Reactions: Umar

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Everyone else would be out of business but only m$ can sustain it. This is not success, it is tragic, how much xbots are brainwashed to believe that it is a good business, like they are out of touch with reality completely.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

*Autocorrect

So sales is irrelevant to you?
10, 20, 30 millions of players means nothing if they are not putting money in your platform... that is reality.

And no... any Bestelda game has no change to sell what it used to be with half userbase.
Using Fallout, Skyrim, and others old games won't means anything to what the new games exclusives to Xbox and PC will sell.