PS5 has sold more than 533,000 units In February NPD, breaking the record set by PS2 in 2005

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Am I defending something by pointing out market realities? If anything I'm in here defending myself since there was a thread made for one of my tweets (which was correct) and I got mentioned in this thread for a tweet that was also 100% correct but some people don't like that I'm bringing attention to something they'd rather ignore or spin.

I could ignore it but I'd rather not allow people to just dismiss information that is backed up by professional analysis.

If talk about Install Base is off topic this can be removed but for one, there is no "marginalisation" of Hogwart's Legacy. We don't ban discussion and anyone is free to talk about it or any controversial game as long as it's in respect to affected communities.

You'd have to share what you mean by downplaying PlayStation. Everyone was talking up PS5 selling more than peak PS2.

Most people are in support of the Activision deal and it just isn't anticompetitive by an metric.

On Starfield, I just don't see why it's initial success is being questioned. The launch metrics will be insane and at the worst if it's a genuinely bad product, legs will be disastrous. Starfield will be marketed as the next Skyrim but in space and everyone knows about Skyrim. Current gen has only sold +50M combined so far, while 8th gen sold +170M. There's still plenty of potential Bethesda casuals that can pick up an Xbox purely for that exact experience, which is the whole point of making Starfield exclusive. The idea that Bethesda RPG's are strong enough to get people to buy a console.

If you want to talk about pure sales, sure, I won't say Starfield ships +10M at launch. What it will most likely do is +20M players in Month 1, faster than Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5.
It's a far cry from the absurdity of photoshopping it out of the top spot in sales charts, but a robust disclaimer by its very existence indicates to users that 'this topic is bad bad not good, so if you could please avoid it for the sake of polite society that would be appreciated.'

I can screenshot posts but I'd rather not clog up the forum and given that you're staff there, it's unlikely to sway you.

The deal is hugely anticompetitive, as evidenced by 3 key market competition regulators raising concerns about a lessening of competition or outright rejecting the deal (FTC).

Define the launch metrics and define insanity and we can continue the discussion about Starfield's predicted success.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I get your point about the “from the makers of” marketing and it’s a solid point. The difference between bungie and destiny and Bethesda and starfield is that bungie was literally the best fps developer and probably the best games developers in the world moving on to their next project, Bethesda is coming off of fallout 76. I’m not saying starfield wont be a hit or have it’s fans. I think 5 million first month is doable with pc, but spider man 2 will probably do double that on ps5. So I’m saying starfields impact won’t even be felt really.

I don’t even know what we’re arguing about really anymore, I guess my overall point is I don’t think it’s going to be nearly as big as people suggest and I don’t think it will move hardware like people are suggesting.

We’re both ignoring the elephant in the room which might be Zelda and switch as well.
Bungie ain't all that, you speak as if they were Valve.

MaxParrish

8 Jan 2023
How does my post on Starfield have anything to do with Xbox's perception?

I don't care what anyone thinks of Xbox. Thinking Starfield is going to have trouble against Spider-Man 2 is simply incorrect.

Fallout was a dead IP when Bethesda made Fallout 3 and because of the success of Morrowind and Oblivion helped make Fallout the brand it is today.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 are two of the most popular games to ever release from the same developer, and their name is attached to Starfield.

As a comparison, Destiny was hyped to hell and back in 2014 because it was the studio behind Halo and the publisher of Call of Duty.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 have sold well over 30M each. The Starfield teaser trailer has 17M views on YouTube. This is the first Bethesda RPG since 2015. The game is going to do great.

Will it move consoles? Yes. Can it shift perceptions around Xbox? Maybe, nothing's impossible. Starfield is going to be the first real exclusive for Xbox this gen, even Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite are on Xbox One. If the game is 90+, it'll be key marketing this holiday.
Sorry, but where did you get that Fallout 4 has sold more than 30 millions copies ? I don't think we have any official numbers for it after the 12 millions day one and it fall off every chart reasonably fast. I don't see any bases for this number.

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023
Fallout 4 s most overshipped title probably ever. U could get new copy 2 months after launch for half the price. I did along with my friend. 12M balony.

Check numbers when it launched on npd, and later moths. Also eu, uk charts. No way it moved 12M day 1 even with pc.

Were skyrim and F4 among biggest 3p games? Yes

But that includes ps platforms where they sold easily 40%. Huge difference.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
The basis for all of Welfare’s numbers is his sphincter.

All of his posts are fantasy and speculation. He doesn’t even understand the difference between sell-in and sell-through.
He understands, he just pretends it's the same. It's been a talking point for MS shills for a while now. Destin, colt, fritanga all use the same argument.

Welfare

Forum Veteran
23 Jan 2023
Sorry, but where did you get that Fallout 4 has sold more than 30 millions copies ? I don't think we have any official numbers for it after the 12 millions day one and it fall off every chart reasonably fast. I don't see any bases for this number.
Pete Hines says Fallout 4 was doing better than what Skyrim did after a year

www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/02/07/fallout-4-sales-might-be-comparatively-higher-than-skyrims/amp/

Skyrim had sold 20M after two years

Skyrim sells another 10M in 3 years

We are now 6 years after that milestone, and 7 years after Fallout 4 released.

Passage of time is going to put Fallout 4 at that level. It never dropped off in popularity and I'm surprised that something like "dropping off the charts" at this point is considered relevant. Games like TLOU2 and Uncharted and Spider-Man and God of War 2018 all disappeared from the charts yet each one sells millions and millions after launch. Not being visible in a top sellers list /= not selling.

The basis for all of Welfare’s numbers is his sphincter.

All of his posts are fantasy and speculation. He doesn’t even understand the difference between sell-in and sell-through.
Again, receipts.

At this point I think you're compression skills are shot.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I meant like at the time.Halo ce, to Halo 2, to 3, to odst and reach was one of the be best runs a studio could have so it made sense people would be excited for their next big thing. Meanwhile Bethesdas last game was fallout 76. I recognize bungie isnt what they used to be.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Well they did more and were more successful with game releases in the last decade than Valve.

Anyway what exactly is that comparison? Valve vs Bungie?

I recognize bungie isnt what they used to be.
The same can be said for Valve but I could not understand the comparison at all 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Well they did more and were more successful with game releases in the last decade than Valve.

Anyway what exactly is that comparison? Valve vs Bungie?
Not even close, what an absurd statement. All Bungie has done since Halo are a bunch of uninspired sci-fi pew pew shooters.

Since Halo released Valve has released Half-Life 2, TF2, Dota2, CS GO, L4D, Portal, Half-Life Alyx and more.

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Not even close, what an absurd statement. All Bungie has done since Halo are a bunch of uninspired sci-fi pew pew shooters.
You probably don’t like Destiny but it is the very best game Bungie ever created and it success since 2014 tells the whole story.

What Valve release in the last decade? Alyx and? How much they sold?

Valve is a company that lives from the past and of course the 3rd-party revenue from Steam sales but they didn’t make anything impacting in terms of games for a long time… Alyx that could had to be it ended too niche due the low VR userbase.

The comparison is dumb to be fair because one is a active game developer company and the others is basically a active game store company.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
You probably don’t like Destiny but it is the very best game Bungie ever created and it success since 2014 tells the whole story.

What Valve release in the last decade? Alyx and? How much they sold?

Valve is a company that lives from the past and of course the 3rd-party revenue from Steam sales but they didn’t make anything impacting in terms of games for a long time… Alyx that could had to be it ended too niche due the low VR userbase.
Your ignorance offends me. Let's hope you aren't sucking up to Bungie because Sony acquired them and that you are an actual huge Halo fan.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Your ignorance offends me. Let's hope you aren't sucking up to Bungie because Sony acquired them and that you are an actual huge Halo fan.
More like reality.
I know you don’t like Destiny but it is an case of very successful and quality.

I played over 1500 hours of the first Destiny and voted as the Game of the Generation in GAF way before anything about Sony buying Bungie happened.

It just weird to get assumptions just because you don’t agree with what I said lol.

It is the game that changed how I view games… and yes it is the continuation of what they started with Halo: Reach and better than any previous work from them.

Ohhhh and just complement Destiny 1 was better than Destiny 2 🤷‍♂️ even so I acknowledge all the QoL that Destiny 2 bring to the franchise.

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
Pete Hines says Fallout 4 was doing better than what Skyrim did after a year

www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/02/07/fallout-4-sales-might-be-comparatively-higher-than-skyrims/amp/

Skyrim had sold 20M after two years

Skyrim sells another 10M in 3 years

We are now 6 years after that milestone, and 7 years after Fallout 4 released.

Passage of time is going to put Fallout 4 at that level. It never dropped off in popularity and I'm surprised that something like "dropping off the charts" at this point is considered relevant. Games like TLOU2 and Uncharted and Spider-Man and God of War 2018 all disappeared from the charts yet each one sells millions and millions after launch. Not being visible in a top sellers list /= not selling.

Again, receipts.

At this point I think you're compression skills are shot.
Fallout could be doing better in terms of revenue.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417
D

Deleted member 417

Bethesda games are not on PlayStation anymore. Sales numbers of previous games are irrelevant. New games will missing an entire 100M selling platform.

It’s not a coincidence Starfield trailers hardly cross 1M views.
Add to that the target platform; Xbox (or PC, it doesn't even matter) won't be buying the game as it comes 'free' with a subscription service.

Regardless of quality, the starfield sales figures will be in the toilet.

Pamello)

17 Aug 2022
On Starfield, I just don't see why it's initial success is being questioned. The launch metrics will be insane and at the worst if it's a genuinely bad product, legs will be disastrous. Starfield will be marketed as the next Skyrim but in space and everyone knows about Skyrim.
I still don't really understand what this is all based on.
In one of the comments, you cited the number of views on the Starfield teaser trailer as an example.
But, the problem is that, judging by the number of likes, this video has clearly cheated views, through YouTube ads
I will never believe that a video with 17 million views didn't even get 100k likes.

A lot of people talk about Starfield's future phenomenal success, but to be honest, I don't know.

The video with the release date gained a million views in a month. That's too damn little for a future super hit

It seems to me that her main success will depend on the performance in Steam

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I still don't really understand what this is all based on.
In one of the comments, you cited the number of views on the Starfield teaser trailer as an example.
But, the problem is that, judging by the number of likes, this video has clearly cheated views, through YouTube ads
I will never believe that a video with 17 million views didn't even get 100k likes.

A lot of people talk about Starfield's future phenomenal success, but to be honest, I don't know.

The video with the release date gained a million views in a month. That's too damn little for a future super hit

It seems to me that her main success will depend on the performance in Steam
That teaser was playing automatically anytime you clicked on something on youtube. When you actually look at Starfield vids on youtube the views are low. Redfall is even worse. People lost interest in Bethesda games.

Steam is the only place Starfield might sale very well. Maybe Hogwarts Legacy numbers? It should.

If they release an ultimate edition with "play early access 4 days" on Xbox it might help the sale there.

Redfall is the first big test. It's a big AAA so it should be around 30k+ CC on Steam (Atomic Heart and Wo Long both did higher) so we'll see.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
On Starfield, I just don't see why it's initial success is being questioned. The launch metrics will be insane and at the worst if it's a genuinely bad product, legs will be disastrous. Starfield will be marketed as the next Skyrim but in space and everyone knows about Skyrim. Current gen has only sold +50M combined so far, while 8th gen sold +170M. There's still plenty of potential Bethesda casuals that can pick up an Xbox purely for that exact experience, which is the whole point of making Starfield exclusive. The idea that Bethesda RPG's are strong enough to get people to buy a console.

Since you like sales numbers, go check how many copies Fallout 4 sold on release and how many of those were on PS4. Here's a hint: More than half.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
That teaser was playing automatically anytime you clicked on something on youtube. When you actually look at Starfield vids on youtube the views are low. Redfall is even worse. People lost interest in Bethesda games.

Steam is the only place Starfield might sale very well. Maybe Hogwarts Legacy numbers? It should.

If they release an ultimate edition with "play early access 4 days" on Xbox it might help the sale there.

Redfall is the first big test. It's a big AAA so it should be around 30k+ CC on Steam (Atomic Heart and Wo Long both did higher) so we'll see.
I would be shocked if Starfield did Hogwarts Legacy numbers on Steam. But then again PC gamers are so weird you never know what they gravitate towards. You're right that Redfall will be their first big test for them without relying on the Playstation platform. Their big hyped franchises like Fallout, Elder Scrolls, and Starfield release so few and far between that Redfall will probably be indicative of most of their games performance.