PS5 has sold more than 533,000 units In February NPD, breaking the record set by PS2 in 2005

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Skyrim was 12 years ago and fallout is a known IP with a long history. Starfield is a brand new IP launching up against spiderman 2, the most popular, or one of the most popular marvel super heroes in the world. Spider man 1 sold like over 30 million right? I think your underestimating the over lap between the type of person that would buy a next gen console and i think alot of the people that would want starfield already have an xbox.

Starfields initial showing wasnt all that impressive. I remember the live stream reacts and after shows, xbox centric and ps centric alike. The general consensus was it looked rough. IF starfield even makes its september release date its still going up against ff16 and spider man 2. I just think the normie average gamer will have already had their mind made up and pc people arent going to buy an xbox. Sure it WILL help sell xbox consoles, but its not going to win npds or change the trajectory of how things are going, not even in north america. This gens over.

I could be completely wrong. And if i am ill eat crow lol.
PS5 will even have a big RPG release of it's own in BG3 releasing a few weeks earlier. Based on the early access I'm very confident in BG3 being really good.

D

Deleted member 417

Starfield sales will be terrible because it's coming to day pass day 1. It may do well with lifetime sales or sales after 12/18 months, but those first few weeks are going to be laughably bad.

That's no comment on whether the game will be good or bad, it's just the facts.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I dont think KOTOR will hit this year but thats another one too.
That one won't come anytime soon.
Starfield sales will be terrible because it's coming to day pass day 1. It may do well with lifetime sales or sales after 12/18 months, but those first few weeks are going to be laughably bad.

That's no comment on whether the game will be good or bad, it's just the facts.
If it sells well it's going to be on PC. Starfield has been used to push Xbox and Gamepass for years at this point (given all the hype and delays) it's effect has already been felt. It's a lot like Halo Infinite in that sense, so much talk about it before release, it even reviewed well and then it was dead while nothing changed.

Last edited:

Welfare

Forum Veteran
23 Jan 2023
Not trying to be insulting, but why is it seemingly so important to you that Xbox be perceived a certain way to the point where there are so many pointless arguments about how well it is or isn't doing?
How does my post on Starfield have anything to do with Xbox's perception?

I don't care what anyone thinks of Xbox. Thinking Starfield is going to have trouble against Spider-Man 2 is simply incorrect.
Skyrim was 12 years ago and fallout is a known IP with a long history. Starfield is a brand new IP launching up against spiderman 2, the most popular, or one of the most popular marvel super heroes in the world. Spider man 1 sold like over 30 million right? I think your underestimating the over lap between the type of person that would buy a next gen console and i think alot of the people that would want starfield already have an xbox.

Starfields initial showing wasnt all that impressive. I remember the live stream reacts and after shows, xbox centric and ps centric alike. The general consensus was it looked rough. IF starfield even makes its september release date its still going up against ff16 and spider man 2. I just think the normie average gamer will have already had their mind made up and pc people arent going to buy an xbox. Sure it WILL help sell xbox consoles, but its not going to win npds or change the trajectory of how things are going, not even in north america. This gens over.

I could be completely wrong. And if i am ill eat crow lol.
Fallout was a dead IP when Bethesda made Fallout 3 and because of the success of Morrowind and Oblivion helped make Fallout the brand it is today.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 are two of the most popular games to ever release from the same developer, and their name is attached to Starfield.

As a comparison, Destiny was hyped to hell and back in 2014 because it was the studio behind Halo and the publisher of Call of Duty.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 have sold well over 30M each. The Starfield teaser trailer has 17M views on YouTube. This is the first Bethesda RPG since 2015. The game is going to do great.

Will it move consoles? Yes. Can it shift perceptions around Xbox? Maybe, nothing's impossible. Starfield is going to be the first real exclusive for Xbox this gen, even Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite are on Xbox One. If the game is 90+, it'll be key marketing this holiday.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

I don't care what anyone thinks of Xbox. Thinking Starfield is going to have trouble against Spider-Man 2 is simply incorrect.

Fallout was a dead IP when Bethesda made Fallout 3 and because of the success of Morrowind and Oblivion helped make Fallout the brand it is today.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 are two of the most popular games to ever release from the same developer, and their name is attached to Starfield.

As a comparison, Destiny was hyped to hell and back in 2014 because it was the studio behind Halo and the publisher of Call of Duty.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 have sold well over 30M each. The Starfield teaser trailer has 17M views on YouTube. This is the first Bethesda RPG since 2015. The game is going to do great.

Will it move consoles? Yes. Can it shift perceptions around Xbox? Maybe, nothing's impossible. Starfield is going to be the first real exclusive for Xbox this gen, even Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite are on Xbox One. If the game is 90+, it'll be key marketing this holiday.
I'm referring to your posts in general on these kinds of threads. You seem to spend a lot of time "defending" Xbox unnecessarily.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I'm referring to your posts in general on these kinds of threads. You seem to spend a lot of time "defending" Xbox unnecessarily.
For a lot of people it's just hard to accept how much the Series is struggling and to admit that they had the wrong read of the market.

Nobody actually believes that stock is what is holding the Series back. Lack of supply for a console that moves so few units, in their main market while selling less units than the Switch is just MS flexing their incompetence.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I've always said the Series S is what's over shipped not the X. Remember there are two different Xbox's.

I've been saying since December that the X had been more difficult to find which is correct. Series S has remained in supply but isn't moving units.

Speculation here but would help my point, last year the Fortnite Series S bundle was basically the holiday bundle for 2021 and as that ran out of units the regular S was what started getting sold again. 3 months after Christmas and the current Gilded Hunter bundle is not only still available but the regular S isn't.

The regular S isn't available for "New" at GameStop, Walmart, or Amazon. Target has it in low supply at the stores it's still in, and Best Buy is still selling it, but the Gilded bundle is always ahead in the Best Seller's list.

So either the Gilded Hunter bundle is the new Series S SKU or no retailers are asking for new Series S shipments. I somewhat doubt the Gilded bundle is the new primary SKU just due to the fact it isn't even a price increase. Since Microsoft want to copy Sony by doing expensive bundles, you'd think they'd also have a new Series S bundle planned at $359, but no, it's still the holiday bundle that for some reason has this random $2 discount.

Also what's wrong with Install Base?
The problems with [the forum that shall not be named] are manifold. The first would be its insistence on marginalising discussions about Hogwarts Legacy, a sales phenomenon. The second is an incessant need to downplay any success that PlayStation is achieving; some of their comments in the latest NPD thread are appalling. The third is the cheerleading for an anticompetitive acquisition.

The fact that the gilded hunter bundle doesn't represent a price increase is likely to be by necessity than by circumstance, but I take your point that the Series S is the one that is being overshipped. That series of circumstances would lead to a scenario in which XSX can be out of stock (in demand? Can't say, and signs point to no given the resale value below MSRP) and Xbox Series consoles can still be hitting the higher end of sales estimates.

As to the Starfield/Skyrim/Fallout discussion, remember that the latter two released on all platforms to achieve that popularity and those numbers, and that Xbox didn't have the greatest slice of the pie. Releasing as a new IP on an unpopular console, and not exclusively (PC release) against one of the most popular IPs in gaming (Spider-Man), or IPs full-stop, means Starfield is unlikely to hit equivalent metrics (MAUs or console sales that could compensate for or offset the guaranteed revenue from releasing more broadly). It won't be the death knell for the IP, but it's a grave mistake to withhold it from PlayStation and to devalue it by giving it away as part of GP.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I just noticed on VGChartz.. January sales for Xbox was supposed to be 275K and then February was supposed to be 290K for the Americas..

Yet now they are saying the YTD figures to end of February are over 610 or 620K (Can't remember exactly.

So an increase out of nowhere. Makes no sense to me.
Well your first mistake… noticing VGChatz.
ioi (the owner) was a bitter better in guesstimates than the actual staff even so he made big guess that were nowhere close to reality.

Being fair they trend to adjust data when accurate numbers are releases but that cover only big markets… the smaller ones they don’t change because “they can’t find where their algorithm fucked the thing”.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022

I get your point about the “from the makers of” marketing and it’s a solid point. The difference between bungie and destiny and Bethesda and starfield is that bungie was literally the best fps developer and probably the best games developers in the world moving on to their next project, Bethesda is coming off of fallout 76. I’m not saying starfield wont be a hit or have it’s fans. I think 5 million first month is doable with pc, but spider man 2 will probably do double that on ps5. So I’m saying starfields impact won’t even be felt really.

I don’t even know what we’re arguing about really anymore, I guess my overall point is I don’t think it’s going to be nearly as big as people suggest and I don’t think it will move hardware like people are suggesting.

We’re both ignoring the elephant in the room which might be Zelda and switch as well.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Insane. Starfield is following up on Skyrim and Fallout 4, games that have sold well over 30M and Fallout 4 still holding a record 12M units shipped at launch that Cyberpunk or Hogwarts couldn't beat. This would be like betting against Destiny back in 2014.

Also crazy how you just fellate Spider-Man like Starfield isn't going to be a next gen game as well.

Skyrim launched right next to Modern Warfare 3 and did amazing. Fallout 4 right next to Black Ops 3. Starfield isn't going to be impacted by Spider-Man 2.

The audiences are so completely different the comparison would be like questioning why Nintendo puts Pokemon in the same month as Call of Duty.
I believe you are setting yourself for disappointment.

First these data you quoted include PlayStation… second Starfield absolutely doesn’t have the same hype than Skyrim… it is not even comparable.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

I think you are underselling Sony's marketing. For example Last of us part 1 remake shot up to #5 on the charts when the show launched. Now Imagine Into the Spiderverse part 1 comes out June. Spiderman 2 is hinted at releasing in September with marketing blitz starting in August.

Spiderman Into the spiderverse will easily do big numbers at box office. It will be fresh in peoples minds. Spiderman 2 is going to sell more than God of war: Ragnarök.

Marketing is what Sony seems to be better at so far than Microsoft.

Starfield is going to be a big title, possible next big Fallout. But it's still up in the air about the game. Spiderman has had 2 previous titles from the same developer, so people have positive expectations.

Welfare

Forum Veteran
23 Jan 2023
Am I defending something by pointing out market realities? If anything I'm in here defending myself since there was a thread made for one of my tweets (which was correct) and I got mentioned in this thread for a tweet that was also 100% correct but some people don't like that I'm bringing attention to something they'd rather ignore or spin.

I could ignore it but I'd rather not allow people to just dismiss information that is backed up by professional analysis.
The problems with [the forum that shall not be named] are manifold. The first would be its insistence on marginalising discussions about Hogwarts Legacy, a sales phenomenon. The second is an incessant need to downplay any success that PlayStation is achieving; some of their comments in the latest NPD thread are appalling. The third is the cheerleading for an anticompetitive acquisition.

The fact that the gilded hunter bundle doesn't represent a price increase is likely to be by necessity than by circumstance, but I take your point that the Series S is the one that is being overshipped. That series of circumstances would lead to a scenario in which XSX can be out of stock (in demand? Can't say, and signs point to no given the resale value below MSRP) and Xbox Series consoles can still be hitting the higher end of sales estimates.

As to the Starfield/Skyrim/Fallout discussion, remember that the latter two released on all platforms to achieve that popularity and those numbers, and that Xbox didn't have the greatest slice of the pie. Releasing as a new IP on an unpopular console, and not exclusively (PC release) against one of the most popular IPs in gaming (Spider-Man), or IPs full-stop, means Starfield is unlikely to hit equivalent metrics (MAUs or console sales that could compensate for or offset the guaranteed revenue from releasing more broadly). It won't be the death knell for the IP, but it's a grave mistake to withhold it from PlayStation and to devalue it by giving it away as part of GP.
If talk about Install Base is off topic this can be removed but for one, there is no "marginalisation" of Hogwart's Legacy. We don't ban discussion and anyone is free to talk about it or any controversial game as long as it's in respect to affected communities.

You'd have to share what you mean by downplaying PlayStation. Everyone was talking up PS5 selling more than peak PS2.

Most people are in support of the Activision deal and it just isn't anticompetitive by an metric.

On Starfield, I just don't see why it's initial success is being questioned. The launch metrics will be insane and at the worst if it's a genuinely bad product, legs will be disastrous. Starfield will be marketed as the next Skyrim but in space and everyone knows about Skyrim. Current gen has only sold +50M combined so far, while 8th gen sold +170M. There's still plenty of potential Bethesda casuals that can pick up an Xbox purely for that exact experience, which is the whole point of making Starfield exclusive. The idea that Bethesda RPG's are strong enough to get people to buy a console.

If you want to talk about pure sales, sure, I won't say Starfield ships +10M at launch. What it will most likely do is +20M players in Month 1, faster than Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Am I defending something by pointing out market realities? If anything I'm in here defending myself since there was a thread made for one of my tweets (which was correct) and I got mentioned in this thread for a tweet that was also 100% correct but some people don't like that I'm bringing attention to something they'd rather ignore or spin.

I could ignore it but I'd rather not allow people to just dismiss information that is backed up by professional analysis.

If talk about Install Base is off topic this can be removed but for one, there is no "marginalisation" of Hogwart's Legacy. We don't ban discussion and anyone is free to talk about it or any controversial game as long as it's in respect to affected communities.

You'd have to share what you mean by downplaying PlayStation. Everyone was talking up PS5 selling more than peak PS2.

Most people are in support of the Activision deal and it just isn't anticompetitive by an metric.

On Starfield, I just don't see why it's initial success is being questioned. The launch metrics will be insane and at the worst if it's a genuinely bad product, legs will be disastrous. Starfield will be marketed as the next Skyrim but in space and everyone knows about Skyrim. Current gen has only sold +50M combined so far, while 8th gen sold +170M. There's still plenty of potential Bethesda casuals that can pick up an Xbox purely for that exact experience, which is the whole point of making Starfield exclusive. The idea that Bethesda RPG's are strong enough to get people to buy a console.

If you want to talk about pure sales, sure, I won't say Starfield ships +10M at launch. What it will most likely do is +20M players in Month 1, faster than Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5.
In my opinion you seem to be overselling Xbox's performance and underselling Playstation's but it's whatever.

Also, I think they're referring to resetera, not installbase forum.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

The "other forum" is resetera, not installbase.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Also, I think they're referring to resetera, not installbase forum.

The "other forum" is resetera, not installbase.
Actually he mentioned Installbase by name in another post and it was deleted so I'm not sure.

I kind of agree that Installbase is very pro Xbox and Nintendo and they constantly downplay and badmouth Sony as much as possible. Most of them are from resetera so that explains why. It's the same toxic users.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Actually he mentioned Installbase by name in another post and it was deleted so I'm not sure.

I kind of agree that Installbase is very pro Xbox and Nintendo and they constantly downplay and badmouth Sony as much as possible. Most of them are from resetera so that explains why. It's the same toxic users.
This is how I imagine them everytime npd sales report comes out.
angry-angry-white-woman.gif

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

Did InstallBase ban discussion of Hogwarts? Resetera seems to be the only website that fits that description.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Gods&Monsters