PS5 Pro updated rumors/leaks & technical/specs discussion |OT| PS5 Pro Enhanced Requirements Detailed.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I really like my PS5 and would love to get a PS5 Pro day one but I need a lot more from Sony on the games front.
Yep, they've been relying on third parties for too long. The PS5 Pro will be a GTA 6 machine for a lot of people.

Reactions: Johnic

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Yep, they've been relying on third parties for too long. The PS5 Pro will be a GTA 6 machine for a lot of people.
NEWS FLASH: Sony has primarily relied on third-party games since 1994. Their exclusives are just gravy on their systems, their focus is on providing a wide variety of games, and they seek to provide extra reasons to own one with their first-party games, not the only reason, or even the main reason. This is why they haven't cratered like Xbox did when HALOFORZAGEARS started faltering.

Seriously, people. Critical thinking and some attempts to increase your knowledge might just barely make you come off less like a bunch of entitled half-wits.

24 Jun 2022
NEWS FLASH: Sony has primarily relied on third-party games since 1994. Their exclusives are just gravy on their systems, their focus is on providing a wide variety of games, and they seek to provide extra reasons to own one with their first-party games, not the only reason, or even the main reason. This is why they haven't cratered like Xbox did when HALOFORZAGEARS started faltering.

Seriously, people. Critical thinking and some attempts to increase your knowledge might just barely make you come off less like a bunch of entitled half-wits.

Well TBF, not only did PS1 & PS2 have a crap ton of 3P games, they also had a lot of defacto 3P exclusives which also provided a great variety in software library which just wasn't matched by Sega, Nintendo etc. at the time. Not even PC really matched them in that account because a lot of the gaming audience on PC was genuinely different compared to console and so was a lot of the software focus.

These days however, PS and Xbox share I'd say like 90% of the same 3P software library, and the crossover between PC/Steam and console is larger now than it has ever been in gaming history, so almost all 3P games also appear there now, too. That means there's been significantly less defacto exclusives 3P-wise for PlayStation, so either the variety that would have come through those unique 3P defacto exclusives either have to now come from targeted 3P exclusives, or 1P releases.

However while PlayStation's gotten some big 3P exclusives the past few years most have either just been timed exclusives or only console-exclusive, and in some cases not necessarily providing a large amount of variety in relation to what 1P titles have already been providing. So we know Sony have been making some changes to their internal software focus in terms of the GaaS stuff; I only hope readjusting the PC strategy (at least for traditional titles and some GaaS) and looking into doing more 1P AA type of titles (not just the expansions to previoius releases but also new standalone games and revitalizations of legacy IP as AA efforts) are also part of those changes.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Well TBF, not only did PS1 & PS2 have a crap ton of 3P games, they also had a lot of defacto 3P exclusives which also provided a great variety in software library which just wasn't matched by Sega, Nintendo etc. at the time. Not even PC really matched them in that account because a lot of the gaming audience on PC was genuinely different compared to console and so was a lot of the software focus.

These days however, PS and Xbox share I'd say like 90% of the same 3P software library, and the crossover between PC/Steam and console is larger now than it has ever been in gaming history, so almost all 3P games also appear there now, too. That means there's been significantly less defacto exclusives 3P-wise for PlayStation, so either the variety that would have come through those unique 3P defacto exclusives either have to now come from targeted 3P exclusives, or 1P releases.

However while PlayStation's gotten some big 3P exclusives the past few years most have either just been timed exclusives or only console-exclusive, and in some cases not necessarily providing a large amount of variety in relation to what 1P titles have already been providing. So we know Sony have been making some changes to their internal software focus in terms of the GaaS stuff; I only hope readjusting the PC strategy (at least for traditional titles and some GaaS) and looking into doing more 1P AA type of titles (not just the expansions to previoius releases but also new standalone games and revitalizations of legacy IP as AA efforts) are also part of those changes.
They are not reajusting anything, Horizon FW will already release on PC.

I remember people in denial saying Sony would only port old games, now here we are, most PS5 exclusives are on PC (Returnal, Demon's Souls, TLoU Part I, R&C Rift Apart).

What gets me is that the actual useful stuff Sony could do to help PlayStation and Playstation players like making PSVR2 compatible with PC, releasing a Bloodborne remaster, porting games stuck on PS3, etc, they don't do.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

I remember people in denial saying Sony would only port old games, now here we are, most PS5 exclusives are on PC (Returnal, Demon's Souls, TLoU Part I, R&C Rift Apart).

What gets me is that the actual useful stuff Sony could do to help PlayStation and Playstation players like making PSVR2 compatible with PC, releasing a Bloodborne remaster, porting games stuck on PS3, etc, they don't do.
I'm very curious to see what happens in April. If there will be a different tone or approach to things...

How communication will be. If there will be any show announced.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

Get a grip. In the same post you shit on Sony for PC ports of games and then say that the PSVR 2 should be made PC-compatible?

Try a little consistency in your thinking.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I'm very curious to see what happens in April. If there will be a different tone or approach to things...

I can't even get excited about potential shows anymore, Sony communication and marketing this gen has been awful and underwhelming.

By this point last gen even TLoU Part 2 was already announced (and Uncharted 4 released).

Get a grip. In the same post you shit on Sony for PC ports of games and then say that the PSVR 2 should be made PC-compatible?

Try a little consistency in your thinking.
It allows PSVR2 owners to use it on PC without having to buy something else and since it's clearly not selling well it a net positive. If they can't get a game like Half-Life Alyx on PS5 at least allow people to make good use of PSVR2. PSVR2 only games also need a bigger market to sell to given how small the install base is, that is not the case for PS5 games.

Get a grip and try a little thinking in your posts. :devilish:

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I can't even get excited about potential shows anymore, Sony communication and marketing this gen has been awful and underwhelming.

By this point last gen even TLoU Part 2 was already announced (and Uncharted 4 released).

It allows PSVR2 owners to use it on PC without having to buy something else, it's clearly not selling well. If they can get a game like Half-Life Alyx on PC at least allow people to make good use of PSVR2.
True

• fire
Reactions: Nhomnhom

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
image-2023-10-18T105226.721-1044x587.jpg

• He says it will probably launch in September 2024
  • Doesn't know the exact specs, but Sony is (or was) choosing between multiple configurations
  • (Not sure if he is citing the leak here or backing up the original leak claim with his own confirmed information) He says it would support DLSS-like machine learning upscaling: The big thing here, like the big feature that this system would support, is Sony’s own proprietary DLSS-like solution, where they use their own machine learning to improve images so they can run things at a really high resolution and really high frame rate, and they would include their own hardware in the PS5 Pro to do this."
  • Speculates $600

Source

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
What is your stance on impersonal digs, just for future reference?
No insults or derogatory remarks directed at any specific individual.

E. G.

So and so is just a schill and moron (not OK)

There are some ppl here tht just like to schill (OK, it's a general statement not directed at any specific person).

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This was a reply to a thread that got deleted about the new PS5 Pro. I see @John Elden Ring added the content here. Jeff Grubhub talks about the following:

He says it would support DLSS-like machine learning upscaling: “The big thing here, like the big feature that this system would support, is Sony’s own proprietary DLSS-like solution, where they use their own machine learning to improve images so they can run things at a really high resolution and really high frame rate, and they would include their own hardware in the PS5 Pro to do this."

Now, I said this before:
I understand that, but just because FSR2/3 can do a job just fine doesn't mean Sony can't find a way to use AI Engines to boost their own methods further. It could be equally possible that they found a way to use XDNA to further improve their own checkerboarding solutions. I believe the PS4 pro already leverages hardware for improving checkerboarding, so this could be seen as a more advanced solutions? We know it also uses dual-issue to help with these tasks.

And this is a patent filed in 2021, and granted this year: "Machine learning techniques to create higher resolution data structures representing textures from lower resolution data structures"

So, as the PS4 Pro introduced hardware accelerated checkerboarding, it is very possible the PS5 pro is introducing some sort of inhouse DLSS like solution for sure, especially considering the patent above.

Edit: The patent above has other applications, but it could very well be used in consoles.
Servers may include one or more processors executing instructions that configure the servers to receive and transmit data over a network such as the Internet. Or, a client and server can be connected over a local intranet or a virtual private network. A server or controller may be instantiated by a game console such as a Sony Playstation®, a personal computer, etc.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Unfortunately, releasing games on PC made the pro less exciting because most of the exclusives that released on PC will not look fresh. Unlike PS4 pro.

Still going to get PS5 pro. I got used to dynamic 4K 30 and dynamic 1440p 60 fps in cross gen games. Now with new games , we are lucky to get 1260p 30 fps.

Reactions: Puff

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
This was a reply to a thread that got deleted about the new PS5 Pro. I see @John Elden Ring added the content here. Jeff Grubhub talks about the following:

Now, I said this before:

And this is a patent filed in 2021, and granted this year: "Machine learning techniques to create higher resolution data structures representing textures from lower resolution data structures"

So, as the PS4 Pro introduced hardware accelerated checkerboarding, it is very possible the PS5 pro is introducing some sort of inhouse DLSS like solution for sure, especially considering the patent above.

Edit: The patent above has other applications, but it could very well be used in consoles.
I'm excited to see if their solution comes with any frame gen tech. The upscaling + RT cores seems like this will be a pretty meaty upgrade.

24 Jun 2022

Well, something big definitely has to be communicated one way or another. I know 2024 is going to be very telling of Xbox's own future as a console platform, but I also feel it could be (less so) telling of what potential trajectory Sony puts in place for the rest of PS5 and the PS6, in terms of if things sail ahead easily or if the seas start getting noticeably rough.

IMO, any further investment for traditional/non-GaaS ports to PC/Steam outside of legacy/catalog releases/remasters (preferably PS1 - PS4 titles) will make things unnecessarily harder for PS5, PS5 Pro and PS6. If they start doing 1-year or Day 1 windows for current-gen traditional 1P titles to PC, that's going to significantly deflate the value proposition for PS5 Pro and PS6. They need more 1P AA exclusives (either fully 1P or co-developed with 3P) to pad out the release schedule without relying on 3P title marketing deals and timed exclusives as much. And yeah, start talking about some of the new 1P non-GaaS titles in development, too.

There are other, less severe things I hope are being looked into as well. PSVR2 is great tech; it may not be a big seller but I think support can persist for a while. Hopefully they are researching ways to make cheaper but performant VR headsets that can significantly lower production costs, BOM and require less on-board processing (stream the content as VR to the headset) and such. That would be beneficial for the PS6. I'm interested to see what they do with the PS Portal going forward, too.