PS5 Pro updated rumors/leaks & technical/specs discussion |OT| PS5 Pro Enhanced Requirements Detailed.

31 Aug 2024
wishful thinking, pc is only getting more and more expensive. Consoles are nowhere near on the way out. Also, cloud gaming is DoA, I doubt it'll have any significant market share in the next 15 years.
PC gaming is actually getting more affordable especially if you live in the U.S Microcenter has the best platform deals. Remember Blockbuster they also said streaming wasn't going to take over and look where they are now

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
PC gaming is actually getting more affordable especially if you live in the U.S Microcenter has the best platform deals. Remember Blockbuster they also said streaming wasn't going to take over and look where they are now
only for cpu and motherboard combos, GPUs are getting more and more expensive all the time, especially since both AMD and nVidia are moving their product stack naming down (i.e. this gen the 4060 Ti should have been the 4060 and the 4070 should have been the 4060 Ti, the 4070 Ti should have been the 4070, etc) based on hardware specs alone. Jensen Huang has stated openly that cost will scale with performance from now on due to the increasing cost of advanced nodes.

Last edited:
31 Aug 2024
No one said you have to exclusively buy Nvidia/Amd gpus Intel ARC GPUs are affordable I get it you’re a a fan of consoles and physical media I use to be too until I saw the writing on the wall

• haha
  • thinking_hard
Reactions: Umar and anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
No one said you have to exclusively buy Nvidia/Amd gpus Intel ARC GPUs are affordable I get it you’re a a fan of consoles and physical media I use to be too until I saw the writing on the wall
Bro are you even following the news? Intel is about to go bankrupt lmao

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
Bro are you even following the news? Intel is about to go bankrupt lmao
It's an American chlipmaker giant, they would never let it fail. Yeah they are in financial trouble, but remember AMD was once in one and got better as a result. They'll shed a lot of their parts for liquidation but refocus on server and enthusiast level hardware once more. The upcoming lineup is also very promising and the competitor's most recent launch was problematic and fell flat. Competition is good, Intel needed this arse kicking now they'll get better.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Intel is going to go bankrupt I’ve been hearing that since the tech bubble burst of the late 90’s early 2000’s yet here we are
The point is they're shutting down all non-essential operations right now, that means discrete graphics are dead or going to be limited to server/AI bubble chasing

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It's an American chlipmaker giant, they would never let it fail. Yeah they are in financial trouble, but remember AMD was once in one and got better as a result. They'll shed a lot of their parts for liquidation but refocus on server and enthusiast level hardware once more. The upcoming lineup is also very promising and the competitor's most recent launch was problematic and fell flat. Competition is good, Intel needed this arse kicking now they'll get better.
That's not the point. The point is they're busy shutting down all non-essential operations and laying off 15+% of their workforce, as well as many people expecting them to spin off or sell several of their divisions. Discrete GPUs for enthusiast gamers are dead as a doornail

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
That's not the point. The point is they're busy shutting down all non-essential operations and laying off 15+% of their workforce, as well as many people expecting them to spin off or sell several of their divisions. Discrete GPUs for enthusiast gamers are dead as a doornail
CPUs are their main business is my point and they will be focusing there.

31 Aug 2024
Discrete GPU’s for enthusiast gamers aren’t going anywhere this is just doom and gloom thinking people were also saying this during the crypto bubble days

• haha
Reactions: anonpuffs

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
no, the 7700XT is about equivalent to a 4060 Ti in raster

Say what?

Captura de ecrã 2024-09-03 104103.png

And with 60 CUs enabled at >2.3GHz it's also probably going to perform closer to the 7800XT than the 7700XT, especially if it runs at 1080p base where higher bandwidth doesn't make that much difference. It all depends on how PSSR behaves compared to FSR2, and how high the iGPU is going to boost (I don't think it'll be lower than 2.7GHz but we'll see).

no one knows in raytracing yet, could be around 2080 Ti or all the way up to 3080ish

Raytracing performance between 2080Ti and 3080 is already 7700XT/7800 XT's territory.
With twice the RT units per-CU doing twice the operations per unit, the PS5 Pro using RDNA4's RT modules should be above that.

Captura de ecrã 2024-09-03 110614.png

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark
Say what?

View attachment 5506

And with 60 CUs enabled at >2.3GHz it's also probably going to perform closer to the 7800XT than the 7700XT, especially if it runs at 1080p base where higher bandwidth doesn't make that much difference. It all depends on how PSSR behaves compared to FSR2, and how high the iGPU is going to boost (I don't think it'll be lower than 2.7GHz but we'll see).

Raytracing performance between 2080Ti and 3080 is already 7700XT/7800 XT's territory.
With twice the RT units per-CU doing twice the operations per unit, the PS5 Pro using RDNA4's RT modules should be above that.

View attachment 5507
Good post there dude... This should be shared on X etc. as well! (y)

• Heart
Reactions: ToTTenTranz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The yearly article from the typical doomer Japanese analyst... never fail do delivery every year.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Say what?

View attachment 5506

View attachment 5507
Yeah the thing is that those RT benchmarks are fluffed up by titles where there's very light RT, once you look at heavy RT games the Radeon cards collapse. As far as raster goes it's closer to the 4060 Ti than the 4070, and we don't know the clocks yet - I suspect it won't clock as high as retail cards to keep the power envelope down.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Yeah the thing is that those RT benchmarks are fluffed up by titles where there's very light RT, once you look at heavy RT games the Radeon cards collapse.
Yes, but real world results will be these on average.

Besides, I doubt the developers making PS5 Pro modes are going to ever enable the kind of over the top performance-breaking raytracing effects out of Nvidia's RTX library that make the RTX cards push out ahead disproportionately.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Yes, but real world results will be these on average.

Besides, I doubt the developers making PS5 Pro modes are going to ever enable the kind of over the top performance-breaking raytracing effects out of Nvidia's RTX library that make the RTX cards push out ahead disproportionately.
I think path tracing will be big in the future, once they figure the image reconstruction out. It's a big time save over manual lighting, the industry will trend towards what saves them money in the long term. The question is whether the hardware will be there to do it by ps6 or ps6 pro, I think if they're reconstructing lighting from like 540p it would be doable on the PS6

Reactions: ToTTenTranz

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark
I think path tracing will be big in the future, once they figure the image reconstruction out. It's a big time save over manual lighting, the industry will trend towards what saves them money in the long term. The question is whether the hardware will be there to do it by ps6 or ps6 pro, I think if they're reconstructing lighting from like 540p it would be doable on the PS6
Yeah I've heard/read about Path Tracing been a thing by the time the PS6/PS6 Pro is out and I think Ray-Tracing and the whole AI thing will also play a big role once the PS6/PS6 Pro is out. And since Sony sounds like they're serious about making the PS6/PS6 Pro a bigger jump than what the PS5/PS5 Pro was is something I am really looking forward to! 👀

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I think path tracing will be big in the future, once they figure the image reconstruction out. It's a big time save over manual lighting, the industry will trend towards what saves them money in the long term.

All of this is true, but from what I read from experts there's a lot of work to be done on the software side to be able to do it across a wide range of hardware targets.
The current DXR 1/1.1 brute force approach (mostly written by Nvidia) that is only feasibly playable on $2000 / 500W GPUs from Nvidia is awfully inefficient and is never going to get wide adoption.

The RTX ON stuff served Nvidia well for the world's Battaglias to claim you should only buy GPUs from one specific vendor so you can turn on some clotheless emperor effects, but if it's ever going to be widespread then the API and engine devs need to spend many man-months researching and implementing much more efficient approaches.

It's only after all consoles and most mid-end iGPUs are able to run this adequately that devs can forget about making shadowmaps, cubemaps, tricks to hide the deficiencies in screen-space effects, etc. and in turn shorten development times (and save money).