PS5 shipments top 54.8 million as of December 2023. Has outsold Xbox Series X/S 2-1, data suggests

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Oh no we only sold 23 million units this year, the horror.

Let's close shop, it is over.

Some dude ironically think Sony like that.

Welfare, stop taking AQ pill buddies.

Not helping for your Judgement Day, which is today, or tommorow?

Welfare

Forum Veteran
23 Jan 2023
Hahaha so transparent, the moment negative PS news comes out @Welfare scuttles in like a roach
giphy.gif

Only "negative" would be the profit margins. They were never hitting the 25M forecast so getting that confirmed is disappointing but expected.
You're putting too much faith in that random 21 millions slide from Xbox Brazil. You keep bringing it up like it's some official 100% number about Series sales. You have no idea why they chose that number.

Every sales report we have since then says Series are way down every month, every quarter in every market. It's just impossible to be anywhere near 27-30 millions. Where are they selling all this Xboxes? It's at 25 millions or below and it will struggle to reach 30.
It wasn't random and it was official. Microsoft literally telling indie devs how big the Xbox install base was to sell their games to. They also said it earlier that year at GDC, so the 21M was accurate as of around March 2023.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
@Welfare my man, can you explain why green team still hiding their hardware sales and games salea, and now they also hiding their Welfare Pass numbers?

So what is the growth they chatting bollocks so much by the way, your brain's tullips?

Welfare

Forum Veteran
23 Jan 2023
@Welfare my man, can you explain why green team still hiding their hardware sales and games salea, and now they also hiding their Welfare Pass numbers?

So what is the growth they chatting bollocks so much by the way, your brain's tullips?
Xbox hardware is missing targets. Xbox software is only when a big milestone happens, like Sea of Thieves on Steam selling 5M. Idk why they haven't announced a new Game Pass number. Maybe they're waiting for 50M or something?
Let me ask how many units do you believe Series sold until end of December 2023 in US?
<13.5M

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Xbox hardware is missing targets. Xbox software is only when a big milestone happens, like Sea of Thieves on Steam selling 5M. Idk why they haven't announced a new Game Pass number. Maybe they're waiting for 50M or something?

<13.5M
Lmaooo

Reactions: historia

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
IMO.

The max Series worldwide: 24.1m (56% US).
But my bet is around 23.3m (58% US).

Of course that using exactly 13.5m… anything below that decrease my guesstimates too.

Now I saw some people talking about 27m, 28m, 29m, etc on Twitter…
These are impossible… it need US to be below 50%… something that only console with strong Japan and Europe presence managed to do.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
@Welfare Gamepass stagnated.
That is why they didn’t announce new milestones… Mat is saying that for months already in US.
And MS themselves (if you take the leaks) said to employees that it is not growing like they wanted.

Stagnation means they are still closer to 30m that 40m… let’s not talk about 50m.
You don’t have enough userbase for that… even if all Series owners (not possible) have Gamepass you will be below 25m plus some more millions from PC.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It wasn't random and it was official. Microsoft literally telling indie devs how big the Xbox install base was to sell their games to. They also said it earlier that year at GDC, so the 21M was accurate as of around March 2023.
No it was just a marketing number like they do for Game Pass numbers or Number of players. It's spin. All the data we have says it's impossible they were at 21 millions sold to customers at that time.

I don't know why you keep dreaming about these huge sales numbers. You're very high-profile with Mat NPD, your tweets get around and you have your own sales forum. Don't you care about your credibility? Making fantasies about Xbox sales is more important to you? 😬

Welfare

Forum Veteran
23 Jan 2023
To end the "22M" crap once and for all. Anyone trying to claim it otherwise is a certified clown.
IMO.

The max Series worldwide: 24.1m (56% US).
But my bet is around 23.3m (58% US).

Of course that using exactly 13.5m… anything below that decrease my guesstimates too.

Now I saw some people talking about 27m, 28m, 29m, etc on Twitter…
These are impossible… it need US to be below 50%… something that only console with strong Japan and Europe presence managed to do.
XBS has been doing well outside the US, or rather the US is underperforming to the point where Xbox share in ROTW is "improving".

Confirmed XBS shipments: https://www.installbaseforum.com/fo...-46-market-share-from-fy-2022-q1-3-7-8m.1963/

FYWW ShipmentsUS Sell ThroughEstimated US Shipments^US Sell Through % to WW ShipmentsUS Shipments % to WW Shipments
FY21 Q1 to Q3 (July 20 - March 21)4.6M~2.0M~2.2M43.5%47.8%
FY22 Q1 to Q3 (July 21 - March 22)7.8M~3.65M~3.9M46.8%50.0%
Total12.4M~5.65M~6.1M45.6%49.2%

^Since the pandemic heavily impacted sales to the point where it sold out in minutes before June 2021, assuming we add the following month's sales (April 2021) for a maximum "shipped" figure.
^ Series S was in stock by March 2022, but Series X was still selling out quickly, so again, adding April 2022 assuming a maximum shipment figure:

XBS third quarter is unfortunately missing but won't be too far off the above data.

That first year and some months, all those quarters together show a ~46% US sell through ratio to WW shipments. We can safely conclude that from November 2020 to March 2022, US shipments were <50% of total worldwide shipments.

Math wise, XBS literally can't have close to 60% of its LTD come from the US. We also have the numbers from CESA for US and Europe that doesn't show a significant increase in US share since 2020.

YearUSCESA Tracked EuropeTotalUS % of Total
20201.49M0.66M2.15M69.3%
20213.70M1.58M5.28M70.1%
20224.48M1.83M6.31M71.0%
Total9.68M4.07M13.75M70.4%

Again, nothing pointing to a significant shift towards the US since 2020, 2021, and 2022.

Everything above is official, hard numbers.

Considering there was no significant shift towards US in worldwide shipments from 2020 to March 2022 (only a 1.4-point shift) and no shift in the comparison to Europe from 2020 to 2022 (only a 1.1-point shift), there is literally no evidence to suggest that the sell through LTD US ratio by the end of 2022 is even at 50.0%.

This hard places WW XBS 2022 sell through at ~19M, 99.9% confidence it's above 19M (9.68M US sell through / 0.5 = 19.36M). The ~19M is inarguable, therefore, any claim that XBS shipments are at 22M at the end of 2023 is not even considerable for logical discussion.

Recap
- XBS first 6 quarters (minus Quarter 3) shipped 12.4M
- XBS from November 2020 to March 2022 had a US sell through to worldwide shipment ratio of ~46:54.
- XBS US vs Europe up to 2022 remained at a consistent ~70:30 ratio
- XBS end of 2022 sales would be ~19M, inarguable

2023 US sales I would estimate between 3.75M-3.8M. That + the near guaranteed 19M 2022 LTD = 22.7M. Even if I gave you that the US ratio would be ~60% in 2023 alone, that's still ~6.2M sales, + 19M = ~25M sold through.

We have the numbers for XBS, it's not as low as anyone here is trying to make it out to be.

• haha
Reactions: kuzon

Welfare

Forum Veteran
23 Jan 2023

50 million lmaoook

@Welfare Gamepass stagnated.
That is why they didn’t announce new milestones… Mat is saying that for months already in US.
And MS themselves (if you take the leaks) said to employees that it is not growing like they wanted.

Stagnation means they are still closer to 30m that 40m… let’s not talk about 50m.
You don’t have enough userbase for that… even if all Series owners (not possible) have Gamepass you will be below 25m plus some more millions from PC.
I didn't say they were near 50 million. They're in the 35M-40M range unless Gold subs significantly declined that didn't convert to Game Pass Core or Ultimate.

Xbox consoles had 33.6M subs across Gold and Game Pass in April 2022, and PC Game Pass / Game Pass in general has seen YOY growth every quarter, so add PC to that 33.6M, you're looking at close to 40M. They could've easily announced a new number much higher than 25M by now if they really wanted to. Why not? IDK, same reason Microsoft refused to give numbers for XBS every time Satya Nadella said it was the fastest selling Xbox. When would they announce a new number? Either when they 1) announce ABK games going into Game Pass in some "here's how much we've grown since that announcement", 2) buy another publisher, or 3) reach a significant milestone like 50M.

No it was just a marketing number like they do for Game Pass numbers or Number of players. It's spin. All the data we have says it's impossible they were at 21 millions sold to customers at that time.

I don't know why you keep dreaming about these huge sales numbers. You're very high-profile with Mat NPD, your tweets get around and you have your own sales forum. Don't you care about your credibility? Making fantasies about Xbox sales is more important to you? 😬
Literally no data ANYWHERE contradicts a 21M XBS in early to mid 2023. Look above.

Just because a random twitter account takes the T2 77M, subtracts PS5's LTD shipment from that, and claims XBS must be at 22M, doesn't mean XBS is at 22M.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
this retard really thing that joke piece of hardware has its US base lower than 70%

Sureeeeee you track you number in US very well, but your toys aint selling anywhere from US/UK more than 15% of its base? Prove that it is US 60% then, I will wait?

There is still 200K of Potato docked here in my country, you know the one that that rat cars salemans boasting about biggest growth.

Idk, selling 2 more potatos from 1 is probably a big growth. When PS5 is outselling your toys close to 2:1 in United fuckint States , your overlord prbably should throw the towel.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
To end the "22M" crap once and for all. Anyone trying to claim it otherwise is a certified clown.

XBS has been doing well outside the US, or rather the US is underperforming to the point where Xbox share in ROTW is "improving".

Confirmed XBS shipments: https://www.installbaseforum.com/fo...-46-market-share-from-fy-2022-q1-3-7-8m.1963/

FYWW ShipmentsUS Sell ThroughEstimated US Shipments^US Sell Through % to WW ShipmentsUS Shipments % to WW Shipments
FY21 Q1 to Q3 (July 20 - March 21)4.6M~2.0M~2.2M43.5%47.8%
FY22 Q1 to Q3 (July 21 - March 22)7.8M~3.65M~3.9M46.8%50.0%
Total12.4M~5.65M~6.1M45.6%49.2%

^Since the pandemic heavily impacted sales to the point where it sold out in minutes before June 2021, assuming we add the following month's sales (April 2021) for a maximum "shipped" figure.
^ Series S was in stock by March 2022, but Series X was still selling out quickly, so again, adding April 2022 assuming a maximum shipment figure:

XBS third quarter is unfortunately missing but won't be too far off the above data.

That first year and some months, all those quarters together show a ~46% US sell through ratio to WW shipments. We can safely conclude that from November 2020 to March 2022, US shipments were <50% of total worldwide shipments.

Math wise, XBS literally can't have close to 60% of its LTD come from the US. We also have the numbers from CESA for US and Europe that doesn't show a significant increase in US share since 2020.

YearUSCESA Tracked EuropeTotalUS % of Total
20201.49M0.66M2.15M69.3%
20213.70M1.58M5.28M70.1%
20224.48M1.83M6.31M71.0%
Total9.68M4.07M13.75M70.4%

Again, nothing pointing to a significant shift towards the US since 2020, 2021, and 2022.

Everything above is official, hard numbers.

Considering there was no significant shift towards US in worldwide shipments from 2020 to March 2022 (only a 1.4-point shift) and no shift in the comparison to Europe from 2020 to 2022 (only a 1.1-point shift), there is literally no evidence to suggest that the sell through LTD US ratio by the end of 2022 is even at 50.0%.

This hard places WW XBS 2022 sell through at ~19M, 99.9% confidence it's above 19M (9.68M US sell through / 0.5 = 19.36M). The ~19M is inarguable, therefore, any claim that XBS shipments are at 22M at the end of 2023 is not even considerable for logical discussion.

Recap
- XBS first 6 quarters (minus Quarter 3) shipped 12.4M
- XBS from November 2020 to March 2022 had a US sell through to worldwide shipment ratio of ~46:54.
- XBS US vs Europe up to 2022 remained at a consistent ~70:30 ratio
- XBS end of 2022 sales would be ~19M, inarguable

2023 US sales I would estimate between 3.75M-3.8M. That + the near guaranteed 19M 2022 LTD = 22.7M. Even if I gave you that the US ratio would be ~60% in 2023 alone, that's still ~6.2M sales, + 19M = ~25M sold through.

We have the numbers for XBS, it's not as low as anyone here is trying to make it out to be.
So you continue being delusional lol
Last time I was right… this time it will probably be the same.

The data we have don’t support the numbers you guess 🤷‍♂️

BTW the Series situation in EU is even worst than last gen and you believe the ration of US decreased 😂😂😂

Welfare

Forum Veteran
23 Jan 2023
this retard really thing that joke piece of hardware has its US base lower than 70%

Sureeeeee you track you number in US very well, but your toys aint selling anywhere from US/UK more than 15% of its base? Prove that it is US 60% then, I will wait?

There is still 200K of Potato docked here in my country, you know the one that that rat cars salemans boasting about biggest growth.

Idk, selling 2 more potatos from 1 is probably a big growth. When PS5 is outselling your toys close to 2:1 in United fuckint States , your overlord prbably should throw the towel.
I literally gave you the worldwide shipment numbers from 2020 to March 2022 and the Europe comparisons showing there wasn't a shift bigger than 2% in two years.

So you continue being delusional lol
Last time I was right… this time it will probably be the same 🤷‍♂️
Holy fuck why don't you trying to point out where I'm wrong in that post.

You can't claim I'm delusional when you refuse to tackle hard numbers. and you were right about what?

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023

he has no credibility, Mat just responds to him cuz he feels bad for him 🤣

XBS has been doing well outside the US
Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

Today I learned being outsold 20:1 in Europe and 40:1 in Japan = doing well 😂🤣

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
CORRECTING MISINFORMATIONOn incorrect interpretations from Sony/PlayStation's FY2023 Q3 Report: Part 1/3Misinformation #1) 'PlayStation is going 3rd Party & all future PS games are going Day & Date on PC per the statements from Sony's Hiroki Titoki'Truth #1) Nothing new was actually stated regarding their plans especially regarding going 3rd Party. PlayStation is NOT putting their games on Xbox or Nintendo.In regards to PC: the statements from Titoki meant that they intend to accelerate the plan that they already have. PlayStation DOES NOT intend to release all of their 1st Party Games Day 1 on PC & never will. They DO intend to release their multiplayer games (Like Helldivers 2, Concord, & Fairgame$) Day 1 on PC but we already knew this. Single Player Narrative Driven Games will not be going natively Day 1 on PC. They may eventually come to PC 1-2 Years later depending on various factors. In another question during the Q&A, Titoki makes clear that their focus is the continued dissemination of PS5s. They dont intend to make business decisions that harm the continued growth of PS5 or PlayStation Hardware in general.Analysis & Speculation: PlayStation will most likely make their own PC Store which will release at the same time as their already discussed Version 3.0 of their PS+, Streaming, & GameCatalog Service. This will likely integrate Movies, Anime, & Games and will come out at the end of the PS5 Gen into the PS6 Gen. Even during the PS6 Gen, PS 1st Party Story Based Narrative Driven Games will not go Day 1 on PC (and they definitely will NOT be going to Xbox and Nintendo). However, with the upcoming PS+ 3.0 you will be able to play ALL PlayStation games sooner via GameCatalog Game Streaming over the Internet on any device that has the upcoming version of PS+ (TVs, Phones, PCs etc) but even this service will not be a Day 1 service for single player games which PS has stated multiple times rely on SALES. Putting such games in a GameCatalog Day 1 cannibalizes the potential profits of their games & is unsustainable.Actual Quote From COO Hiroki Totoki:"For gaming this year the profit margin, especially the operating margin, was not really wonderful, partly because we are in a transition period with the PS5 as hardware units are expanding the user base. Unlike with PS4 or previous generations of consoles, if you look at this console's lifecycle, cost reduction within this cycle is very difficult and that is the biggest challenge for us because unlike with the PS4 and other previous generations the components to manufacture PS5s are getting more expensive.If you think about the PlayStation console device, unlike high spec computers, it is an affordable price while also being a very safe and comfortable environment that is a great experience. That’s the wonderful thing about PlayStation consoles but compared to the past console generations the cost to build that experience went up. For example the price of memory, chips, and other components went up. So we ask: how can we, in our plans, make it affordable without relying on steep discounts, to reasonably sell PS5s to continue our commercial journey on a sustainable basis? I personally think this is important and there is an opportunity in that.The other driver is 1st party titles. In the past when we wanted to popularise a console, 1st party titles make that console hardware popular but there is a synergy to it. So, if you have strong 1st party content, not only with our console but also other platforms like computers, 1st Party can be grown with multi-platforms and that can help operating profit to improve." Note: PlayStation DOES NOT see PC as one platform but multiple platforms. They view each store EPIC, STEAM, & GOG as their own platforms. When they say multiplatform they mean different stores on PC they don't mean competing Consoles. This goes inline with their eventual goal of making their own PC Store.Source: https://irwebmeeting.com/sony/fast/20240214/a6ycuvz3/202403_3q_02_en/index.html
Part 2/3 Misinformation #2) 'PlayStation has no major AAA 1st Party releases until next year. PlayStation has no games, 2024 will be a dry year'Truth #2) They don't mean there won't be any AAA 1st Party games this year they meant that there won't be any sequels to their tent pole franchises this year which we all already knew because we obviously weren't getting Spider-Man 3, God of War Egypt, Last of Us 3, or Horizon 3 this year since the previous games in those franchises literally just came out. They DO NOT mean that there won't be any AAA games from PlayStation or NEW IPs from 1st Party Studios this year because we already know that Concord is coming out this year. And if you count 1st Party Games from 2nd Party Studios then Helldivers 2 just came out and we already Know that Stellar Blade, Pacific Drive, Lost Soul Aside, Convelaria, and Rise of the Ronin are coming out this year too and that's not even counting massive 3rd Party Exclusives like Final Fantasy 7 Remake Part 2 Rebirth.And there are still many amazing exclusive announcements to come in the upcoming PlayStation Showcase.The Actual Quote: "Regarding first-party software, we aim to continue to focus on producing high-quality works and developing live service games, but, while major projects are currently under development, we do not plan to release any new major existing franchise titles next fiscal year like God of War Ragnarök and Marvelʼs Spider-Man."
Part 3/3 Misinformation #3) ‘Sony is downgrading their Projections for PS5 console sales from 25 Million to 21 Million this Fiscal year. PS5 is failing’Truth #3) While it is true that PlayStation is downgrading their Projections from selling 25 Million PS5s this fiscal year to selling 21 Million PS5s this fiscal year and this is a miss this projection was a bit lofty in the first place. It relied on the hope that they would sell 10 Million PS5s in Q3 instead they sold 8.2 Million PS5s. And while this is a miss, this is still an all time record high of PS5s sold in Q3 and every Quarter in Fiscal Year 2023 has seen record high PS5 sales and it is still on track to surpass PS4s lifetime sales by the end of the console generation. Compared to the competition, PS5 is still outselling the Xbox Series Consoles by more than 2 to 1.Note: While this source isn't 100% accurate it would still be close (similar to VG Chartz). According To Take Two Over 77 Million PS5 & Xbox Series Consoles Have Been Shipped Worldwide. Sony Has Reported & Confirmed 54.8 Million PS5s Have Been Shipped. That Puts Xbox Series Sales At approximately 22.2 Million Consoles Shipped.
Addendum 1:Misinformation #4) 'Sony is killing the PS5 they already said it's in its latter stages. PlayStation has no games'Truth #4) The statement that was used was that the PS5 is beginning the Latter Half of its console lifecycle which is correct. A console's lifecycle is typically 8 years. PS5 released in 2020 it is now 2024. It is about to enter Phase 2 of its games and lifecycle but just to ease everyone's worries... The BEST 1st Party games on every Console come in the second half of that console's lifecycle. Almost all of the best games on PS4 came out after 4 years of it being on the market (Uncharted 4, God of War 2018, Spiderman 1, Horizon Zero Dawn)