PS5 shipments top 54.8 million as of December 2023. Has outsold Xbox Series X/S 2-1, data suggests

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If you ignore all others 4th Q3 shipments sure lol

You probably lives in an alternative reality lol
Top 5 Q3

1-PS4 (FY2016) : 9.70 M
2-PS4 (FY2017) : 9.00
3-PS4 (FY2015) : 8.40
4-PS5 (FY2023) : 8.20
5-PS4 (FY2019) : 8.10
Oops, I forgot about FY2017. I was wrong, it wasn't top 3 best Sony shipment console ever, it's top 4 instead.

My bad. I double checked it now here. There's the PS2 Q3 peak straight from Sony fiscal reports from the two PS2 best selling years as comparision:

image.png

Sony not only said the shipment was not what they expected... they are even taking actions to try to increase them.
This is true, they said they didn't achieve their target and that will work on improving it. But that doesn't mean they said their results were bad.

PnGGvAU.png

22.7 million for PS5 (from january to december 2023)
22.2 millions for X/S total life to date
True. Something funny about knowing the real number is to go to VGChartz to see they continue as wrong, biased and fake as always:

image.png

How’s the VR disaster doing?
The only news we have is that as Sony estimaed it was performing better than PSVR1, and then months later their head of markeing said they are happy with it. Sony normally never shares VR info in their quarterly report. If they have sometthing special to mention they say it in their yearly reports, which are more detailed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evilms

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Lies. Not sure about the PS2 peak, but looking at his graph last quarter seems it has been their 3rd best ever quarter regarding shipments, with a difference of only 1.5M vs the top 1.

image.png

Lies. Maybe in your dreams, they didn't say so in their reports or conference call. They said that didn't reach their target with PS5 sales, but still sold a great amount and posted many record numbers.

They posted over $30B in revenue during 2023 and having profits. You can't be serious when saying these are bad results.

Yes, they didn't reach that target but still are doing a great job setting new records in many areas, and growing at a great pace in these or other areas. In recent years they planted a ton of seeds that in the coming years are going to show their results.
PS4 murdering the PS5 even after supply issues have been resolved. Shame.

Reactions: J_Paganel
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
How not norm? PS1 sold over 100M, PS2 over 150M, even PS3 made 90M, but somehow PS 4 had to be a flop? 😂
I'm going by what some stated. I'm pretty sure they were probably referring to the pace at which it did and also not the norm as in most consoles have not sold over 100 mil, only 7 consoles have done so out of 30 plus consoles in history, tht is not the norm. PS4 is in top five consoles all time in sales.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
We are comparing Production shipment now?

PS2 had several years where it sold over 20 million units but product shipment were split even between quarters.
Do you know why?

Because companies start to build inventory to holiday in June/July... part of the production is only shipped in the Q3 quarter... so the actual shipment to retail will always be way bigger in Q3 than others quarters while production shipment is more split between quarters... you ramp up production but nothing can make you ramp up numbers 4x or more for holidays alone... the fabs that produced in Q1 and Q2 are the same producing in Q3... there is a limit for ramp up production so Sony like every other company produce like 5 million units in a quarter, ship 3.5 million and stock the rest to ship in Q3 due holidays sales.

That is what makes the discrepancy between production shipment and retail shipment used today.
In retail shipment terms PS2 should had 3-4 Q3s way over 8 million units based in their anual production shipment.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
So what are we dooming about? PS5 missed its goal by 4 million of 25 (which is still insane) and they aren’t making enough profit to cut the price on consoles?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
So what are we dooming about? PS5 missed its goal by 4 million of 25 (which is still insane) and they aren’t making enough profit to cut the price on consoles?
To be clear, we don't know the amount of consoles that Sony will sell this FY. They had an estimate of 25M and lowered it to 21M. They may sell over 21M, we'll see i in May.

Reactions: Dabaus