Rate the State of Play

How do you rate the State of pLay on September 24?

• 1/10

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • 2/10

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 3/10

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • 4/10

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • 5/10

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • 6/10

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • 7/10

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • 8/10

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • 9/10

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • 10/10

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
An optional cheap remaster somehow brings the show down a letter grade? lol...
1) Everything is optional, nobody is forcing me to buy anything. Even the things I liked to see.
2) The cheap optional remaster is also pointless. I also thought it was too soon to remaster TLoU2 when it came out, and leaning on remasters feels very derivative.

Opinions are so funny LOL.

Reactions: Gediminas

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
It's pretty clear that Sony is done with "Showcase" events and announcing games too early. They could have shown Ghost 2 and Astrobot years ago but they don't want to have another Wolverine, Last Guardian or Spiderman 2 situation.

I mean, Wolverine is MIA and people bitched about the first Spiderman 2 demo because it didn't look good enough.
Yup. They could have announced Astro and Ghost 2 at last year’s shit showcase. But they held off.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Horizon isn’t “embarrassing”. It’s a big leap, it looks like FW.
I get it, it has a significant graphical upgrade, and there's a reasonable upgrade path.
But for the last couple of years, Sony leaned too much on remasters of fairly recent games. That's what felt embarrassing to me.

Once Ghost of Yotei appeared though, that impression went away.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
the anti-woke crowd are such fucking snowflakes, now any time you got a woman lead it leads to a meltdown

It's interesting to hear the gamut of reasonings from it's okay if you make characters like Ridley but you shouldn't recast characters. Here Jin isn't being recast, it's simply someone else's story and we haven't learned enough to know if she is a mary sue type character nor do we know her sexual preference, so it's clear the primary reason for being upset is that the new character is female.

Games have been replacing main characters for decades. When this happens in the first sequel there generally isn't as much outrage as the creators are clearly suggesting more of a non-linear approach to the storytelling.

This isn't like Raiden replacing Solid Snake who had been the main character for 3-4 games depending on your count.

At the end of the day it comes down to gatekeeping, which is super weird, because you'd think gamers would want to have gaming become more mainstream and accepted. Which leads me to believe it isn't simply gatekeeping, but the idea of replacement, which I won't get too into.

Reactions: Bryank75

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
But for the last couple of years, Sony leaned too much on remasters of fairly recent games. That's what felt embarrassing to me.

It's funny that you're "embarrassed" by games that you don't have to buy. This is fanboy console war talk.

Also, I can't tell you how many games I would revisit if they had properly received a remaster the following generation, but are basically lost to time now.

Look at Metal Gear Solid. The closest thing we have there is Twin Snakes, and it was a mess and locked to the Gamecube...

If FF7 had been remastered on PS2, I probably would have gotten something closer to the game I actually wanted which was just FF7 with FFX's level of animation and voice acting.

Remasters have always been a part of gaming, yet somehow now the narrative is that they're a bad thing.

I remember my favorite remasters which was Super Mario All-Stars, which came out in 1993 and gave the original SMB games the look and feel of actual SNES games. Nintendo would go on to re-release the game again in 1994, this time packaged with Super Mario World as well.

Square Enix put all their major snes games on PS1 (and they were worse with loading times due to being on CD).

If many of the games Sony used to make had been remastered or remade the following generation, we might still have more of those IP now. It's an excellent way to keep these games relevant in between the long release cycles.

• fire
Reactions: ksdixon

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Bruh how are you scoring it a 7 or 8/10 lol, This is some straight up peak copium delulu. Anything above a 6 for the SoP is just shilling

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
Remasters have always been a part of gaming, yet somehow now the narrative is that they're a bad thing.

They aren't a bad thing, the problem is when a platform holder relies too heavily on them, with barely any new content. With better reading comprehension, you would have seen that that's what @Old Gamer was saying.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gediminas

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Great SoP. Love the Midnight Walk VR2 game, Hell is US ( Death Stranding feel, LOL), Monster Hunter, Ghost of Yotei, Stellar+ Nier DLC, Metro VR. Lunar RPG, Fear The Spotlight, Archeage, great PS+ content. Damn awesome 9/10

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It's funny that you're "embarrassed" by games that you don't have to buy. This is fanboy console war talk.

Also, I can't tell you how many games I would revisit if they had properly received a remaster the following generation, but are basically lost to time now.

Look at Metal Gear Solid. The closest thing we have there is Twin Snakes, and it was a mess and locked to the Gamecube...

If FF7 had been remastered on PS2, I probably would have gotten something closer to the game I actually wanted which was just FF7 with FFX's level of animation and voice acting.

I remember my favorite remasters which was Super Mario All-Stars, which came out in 1993 and gave the original SMB games the look and feel of actual SNES games. Nintendo would go on to re-release the game again in 1994, this time packaged with Super Mario World as well.

Square Enix put all their major snes games on PS1 (and they were worse with loading times due to being on CD).

If many of the games Sony used to make had been remastered or remade the following generation, we might still have more of those IP now. It's an excellent way to keep these games relevant in between the long release cycles.
I will not have Twin Snakes name dragged through the dirt on this forum!

It's a misunderstood masterpiece.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
It's interesting to hear the gamut of reasonings from it's okay if you make characters like Ridley but you shouldn't recast characters. Here Jin isn't being recast, it's simply someone else's story and we haven't learned enough to know if she is a mary sue type character nor do we know her sexual preference, so it's clear the primary reason for being upset is that the new character is female.

I won't even touch the irony of Ridley being brought up so often since the character was original written as a man. That without the success of Alien, we probably wouldn't have gotten Metroid and that without Metroid we wouldn't have Metroidvanias... including Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

I guess I wish people would just stop pretending and just say that they don't like female main characters, but the reality is they probably should try some therapy or something and find out why that is. These are video games, you're not any of these characters, whether they be a man, woman, a dolphin, or a hedgehog.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I won't even touch the irony of Ridley being brought up so often since the character was original written as a man. That without the success of Alien, we probably wouldn't have gotten Metroid and that without Metroid we wouldn't have Metroidvanias... including Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

I guess I wish people would just stop pretending and just say that they don't like female main characters, but the reality is they probably should try some therapy or something and find out why that is. These are video games, you're not any of these characters, whether they be a man, woman, a dolphin, or a hedgehog.
sigourney weaver michael GIF

• Shake
Reactions: mibu no ookami

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022

Did you just reply to yourself?