Rumor: Sony is changing strategy and no longer announcing games too early. Sucker's Punch New Game being announced this year.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Silknigth, who gained fame for leaking Ghost of Tsushima on PC, said that Sony may reveal 1 or maybe 2 of its own games for 2025/2026. He's also not sure whether it's a State of Play or a Showcase.

Silknigth claims that Sony has changed its strategy and will now announce its new games up to a maximum of two years before their release, depending on their importance. In the last generation, the company gained a negative reputation for announcing its games with CGI trailers and only releasing them years and years later.

In terms of communication, PlayStation has changed, now making game announcements up to a maximum of two years before their release, depending on their importance.

The announcement of PS5PRO is tied to the announcement of certain games, but I'm not sure if they'll showcase it at the upcoming event or after August.

Sony reported that they don't have games from well-known series for this year, but we should have information about two titles to be released in the second half of the year. One of them will be very well-received.

There are no major acquisitions regarding new studios, but when such an announcement is made, it's because there's a game in progress. Sony is very cautious with these types of moves.

Sucker Punch's new game was supposed to be announced last year, but something changed. Its announcement should happen in the coming months.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Pretty much anyone who's following SIE in general could've surmised this.
The exception was the Marvel stuff, but considering other publishers also announce they're working on Marvel stuff months after signing their deals, it's obviously a Marvel mandate.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
We noticed

Pretty much anyone who's following SIE in general could've surmised this.
The exception was the Marvel stuff, but considering other publishers also announce they're working on Marvel stuff months after signing their deals, it's obviously a Marvel mandate.

I said it first, go find your own threads to be right in ffs.

Go Away GIF

Reactions: xollowsob

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
CGI trailers?

I can't remember many games from PS being announced with CG trailers. Maybe FF7 Remake.... but not many and their reputation soared during PS4, so I don't get it....

Taking Xbox fanboy criticism to heart is silly...
Do you count Death Stranding as PS? Project Athia/Forspoken? Marathon and, uhhhh, the GaaS that isn't Fairgames. The battlefront remake?

Reactions: Bryank75

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
This has been the case for 4 years.

Pretty dumb because when you announce games, you have more hype for your console. More games = more hype.

Also it gives alot of people a reason to buy a console when they know more games are coming in the future and being supported more.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Neversummer
16 Feb 2023
CGI trailers?

I can't remember many games from PS being announced with CG trailers. Maybe FF7 Remake.... but not many and their reputation soared during PS4, so I don't get it....

Taking Xbox fanboy criticism to heart is silly...
Concord, Fairgame$ & Marathon have all been announced only with CGI trailers.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
With the exception of Wolverine and Physint, I'd say that all their games -or almost- were announced/shown around a year and a half or less from release since minimum 6 or 8 years ago. Even if some of them (GoW, HFW, GT7) later got delayed.

Concord, Fairgame$ & Marathon have all been announced only with CGI trailers.
I'd say none of them are CGI, but instead in-game/in-engine real time cutscenes.

16 Feb 2023
With the exception of Wolverine and Physint, I'd say that all their games -or almost- were announced/shown around a year and a half or less from release since minimum 6 or 8 years ago. Even if some of them (GoW, HFW, GT7) later got delayed.

I'd say none of them are CGI, but instead in-game/in-engine real time cutscenes.
It's called the CGI reveal trailer...

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Silknigth, who gained fame for leaking Ghost of Tsushima on PC, said that Sony may reveal 1 or maybe 2 of its own games for 2025/2026. He's also not sure whether it's a State of Play or a Showcase.

Silknigth claims that Sony has changed its strategy and will now announce its new games up to a maximum of two years before their release, depending on their importance. In the last generation, the company gained a negative reputation for announcing its games with CGI trailers and only releasing them years and years later.

This has been the strategy for a while now this isn’t new. Only games they announce early has been licensed stuff

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
I'm excited. I hope the games are made with passion, Ghost of Tsushima has become a beloved franchise. I look forward to what Sucker Punch has been doing, I hope to see the games be good and success.

Team Asobi is cool as well, I'm interested to see what they are doing. I wish to see more of concord though, but the theme of a Sci Fi shooter with hints of Gaurdians of the Galaxy sounds decent !

Reactions: Yurinka

Etifilio

27 Jun 2023
i just hope they show games that are coming in 2025/2026 so we actually have an idea of what we can expect from worldwide studios

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Oh, they are changing it now? So all this time they just had a complete lack of games to announce?

Any game not annouced by next year will not release as a current gen only game. Seems like they just want to string people along.

I'll never understand where Sony got this idea that never annoucing games is somehow good. The best thing for the PS5 is to announce and promote as many future games as possible.

This whole strategy is beyond stupid and it only stops free marketing and momentum.

I cant wait for the day I'll sell my PlayStation and never look back, Sony deserves for their next console to completelly flop. These beancounting bastards will kill the PlayStation brand in record time.

Last edited:

Etifilio

27 Jun 2023
Oh, they are changing it now? So all this time they just had a complete lack of games to announce? Any game not annouced by next year will not release as a current gen only game.

I'll never understand where Sony got this idea that never annoucing games is somehow good. The best thing for the PS5 is to announce and promote as many future games as possible.

This whole strategy is beyond stupid and it only stops free marketing and momentum. I cant wait for the day I'll sell my PlayStation and never look back, Sony deserves for their next console to completelly flop.
they need more studios, that's simple, this live service strategy ruined a lot of things, we still don't have a new Naughty Dog game and we're 4 years into this generation, that should already tell you everything, we probably won't see a game coming from them til 2026/2027, the very end of this generation, while last gen we had Uncharted 4, Uncharted Lost Legacy and The Last Of Us Part II

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
i just hope they show games that are coming in 2025/2026 so we actually have an idea of what we can expect from worldwide studios
Unless I forgot something, they have coming, publicly announced:
  • Convallaria ("2023")
  • Lost Soul Aside ("ealy 2024")
  • Destiny 2 The Final Shape (June 4, 2024)
  • Until Dawn remake (2024)
  • Concord (2024)
  • Death Stranding 2 (2025)
  • Marathon (2025)
  • Wolverine (TBA, pretty likely 2026)
  • Fairgame$ (TBA, pretty likely 2026)
  • Star Wars KOTOR remake (TBA)
And without showing anything they publicly mentioned:
  • Next Team Asobi game, action game with humor bigger than Astros (TBA)
  • Horizon Online (TBA)
  • Minimum two new single player games from ND (TBA)
  • Bungie new IP (pretty likely Matter, TBA)
  • Bend's new IP (TBA)
  • Next Sucker Punch game (pretty likely GoT2, TBA)
  • Minimum two games under development at Firesprite (TBA)
  • Next Housemarque game (TBA)
  • Horizon 3 (TBA)
  • New GoW set in a new mythology (TBA)
  • Next Media Molecule game (TBA)
  • Psysint (TBA, to start development after DS2 release)
we still don't have a new Naughty Dog game and we're 4 years into this generation
They didn't release anything because AAA games nowadays take 5-9 years to be developed, TLOU Online got cancelled and the oldest of the multiple new SP games they have under development should have started pretty likely in H1 2021, 3 years ago.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Zzero

Etifilio

27 Jun 2023
Sony needs at least 15 singleplayer studios and 10 live service studios like Arrowhead, hopefully if games like Stellar Blade become smash hits they acquire Shift Up, they have an incredible potential, Stellar Blade is their first game and you can already see the level of quality

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko