Senua's Saga: Hellblade II Review & OT "The hardest battles are fought in the mind, not with the sword".

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
OK I just finished it. TBH they should have just released this as a launch tech demo for the Series X/S. I beat it in 5 hours and 14 minutes. The is optional content for finding little runes and easter eggs, but the game didn't motivate me at all to want to do them. The ending of the game one of the stupidest I've seen. It's the equivalent of a high school student ending an essay with "In conclusion, the book was a story of contrasts. The end." The graphics are nice and impressive at points - but I was expecting......more based on the extreme marketing of the graphics. The audio is ok with headphones, but it feels like they didn't innovate the audio over the first game. The combat is even more simplistic than part 1. Like I say this with no hyperbole - the Infinity Blade mobile games have more sophisticated combat systems than H2. The puzzles are basically the same from part 1 - that's not a good thing. This is a 6/10 or at best it's a 7/10 for superfans of the series. Lastly, I say this with no glibness intended, but this game is a walking simulator interactive movie.

Can't wait to start my next $1 Gamepass trial in the Fall for the next hyped Xbox release.
Played through the game for about three hours and that was enough for me. According to IGN's walkthrough, seemed like I was at about the halfway point. It's no better than a 7.0/10 with the visuals and audio carrying the game. Story and characters through three hours didn't do it for me plus im not into the whole mental aspects and whatnot. Not for me. Combat and gameplay has no depth or substance. Came across one new puzzle with these orbs that you need to place in a pedestal to open up the locked area in order to advance. What makes that cool is that when you focus on these water bubbles, it turns the interior upside down allowing you to reach the orbs and get back to where you started. There is more combat that I expected in those almost three hours but it's exactly the same as the original game which makes it worse because as a sequel, there should be depth and substance. There isn't any.

For reference, I rated the original game an 8.0/10 because it was unique and innovative at the time plus it was a new IP. However, since then, a similar IP being A Plague Tale Innocence and Requiem simply blow away Hellblade 1 and 2 because it's far longer, has a deeper story, more depth to the combat, actually requires strategy at times and you feel like you're always progressing. I also think Requiem looks far better and the puzzles were better.

I know majority loved Alan Wake 2 but for me, that was one of the most boring games that I have ever played (dropped it when you first control Alan Wake) and while it's not by much (more of a 1A and 1B type thing), Hellblade 2 bored me even more. And it is perhaps the best definition of a walking simulator. With that all said, to each their own.
How in the hell can you guys describe the game that way and then say it's a 6 or a 7? lol

This is what's wrong with game scoring now. There is no game, no fun. But it's a 7 out of 10? What do you have to do to get a bad score? I said Starfield was a 5, and that felt generous. Based on what I'm seeing here this sounds like a 3.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Played through the game for about three hours and that was enough for me. According to IGN's walkthrough, seemed like I was at about the halfway point. It's no better than a 7.0/10 with the visuals and audio carrying the game. Story and characters through three hours didn't do it for me plus im not into the whole mental aspects and whatnot. Not for me. Combat and gameplay has no depth or substance. Came across one new puzzle with these orbs that you need to place in a pedestal to open up the locked area in order to advance. What makes that cool is that when you focus on these water bubbles, it turns the interior upside down allowing you to reach the orbs and get back to where you started. There is more combat that I expected in those almost three hours but it's exactly the same as the original game which makes it worse because as a sequel, there should be depth and substance. There isn't any.

For reference, I rated the original game an 8.0/10 because it was unique and innovative at the time plus it was a new IP. However, since then, a similar IP being A Plague Tale Innocence and Requiem simply blow away Hellblade 1 and 2 because it's far longer, has a deeper story, more depth to the combat, actually requires strategy at times and you feel like you're always progressing. I also think Requiem looks far better and the puzzles were better.

I know majority loved Alan Wake 2 but for me, that was one of the most boring games that I have ever played (dropped it when you first control Alan Wake) and while it's not by much (more of a 1A and 1B type thing), Hellblade 2 bored me even more. And it is perhaps the best definition of a walking simulator. With that all said, to each their own.
Some reviews describe most of the game as just pushing the stick forward, is that how it felt?

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
How in the hell can you guys describe the game that way and then say it's a 6 or a 7? lol

This is what's wrong with game scoring now. There is no game, no fun. But it's a 7 out of 10? What do you have to do to get a bad score? I said Starfield was a 5, and that felt generous. Based on what I'm seeing here this sounds like a 3.
I bet you are really thankful you sold your XBOX.

Celebrate Go Team GIF

KvallyX

Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
That's the sense I got last Fall when reviews came out and I saw the feedback to the game. Majority liked the game, at least more than they'll probably like Hellblade 2.

But maybe im off on that. Either way, both games are fucking boring to me and that's all there is to it. lol
Alan Wake 2 is trash. I would love for Remedy dump that IP and bring out a Max Payne.

KvallyX

Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Some reviews describe most of the game as just pushing the stick forward, is that how it felt?
So far using the left stick is the primary control being used outside of combat. Lot's of walking.

Ico

8 May 2024
I dont mind short games, Ico and Jorney both can be beaten in under 3 hours and both are into my top something games

BUT, what makes me think this whole situation is funny is something totally different, hellblade 2 just beat a sony exclusive, let this specific sony game in shambles, this playstation exclusive had a reputation to maintain but hellblade 2 just did the unthinkable... we had horizon being overshadowed by the elden ring release, but hellblade 2 managed to be overshadowed by the elden ring TRAILER, what a feat, magnificent gambit microsoft !!

• haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom

peter42O

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024

Depends on how the individual scores the game. For me, I use a four category setup. Visuals, Audio, Gameplay/Combat and Story/Characters. For what I played in Hellblade 2, it would be a 9/9/5/5 for an overall rating of a 7.0/10. I use categories because it keeps the scoring more objective and shows the actual strong and weak points of the individual game. For example, I scored TLOUP2 a 10/9/9/5 for an overall rating of an 8.5/10. Game excelled in every aspect excluding the story and characters which I didn't like at all. Back to Hellblade 2, my biggest issue with the story is that it's based around mental health and whatnot which im just not into. Scored the same category in the first game a 7 because it was at least unique and different at the time. Not so much 7 years later.

Also, I haven't rated any game overall lower than a 6.0/10 since Rush n Attack: Ex Patriot on 360/PS3 which was a 5.0/10. Reason being is simple, barring the game being completely unplayable, every game is going to have at least one or perhaps two categories that carry the game to at least a decent overall rating.

My friend who's been a PlayStation guy since 1995 day one will be playing Hellblade 2 this weekend and since he gave the first game a 9.0/10, im pretty certain that he'll love Hellblade 2 because it's his type of game. My point is that not everyone has the same preference and taste as you do or others in general.

For when you're actually controlling Senua, yes excluding during combat/puzzles. Of course, some of that is the game on it's own. Hellblade 2 is truly one of those pure cinematic games that's more of a movie than a game. Some will love it (like my friend) but others will hate it.

Alan Wake 2 is a top 10 this generation so far dont @ me

It's just not built for the impatient!

The impatient part applies to me. Once I start getting impatient and thus, bored, I don't care what game it is. It's not lasting long for me. Sadly, it was a waste of $80 for me but im glad that you loved the game.

Reactions: Sircaw