So... you guys still want sony to buy a big publisher and end up 3rd party like xbox?

So?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Your argument about Sony going third party doesn't work the other way around, Xbox is not relevant at all when it comes to game sales. Of all publisher Activision was probably the one that had the most favorable split for Xbox and still PlayStation was a drastically bigger market for their games.

OP
OP
SLB1904

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
I wanted them to buy high quality studios to protect them from MS. I still wouldn't mind a publisher like SE or a dev like From Software. Sony needs more high quality single player studios to make up for Bungie and the GaaS/PC pivot. SE current leadership is just the worst so I only see it as a positive. From Software just seem like the Japanese studio MS would pay an unholy amount of money to get.

It all depends on who is going to be in charge of PlayStation, if it's another Jim Ryan/Hermen Hulst who cares? I won't care since I'll just move to PC anyway as I don't like the current direction at all.

MS ended up buying some of my most hated publishers in Bethesda and Blizzard so I got lucky. Since I haven't played CoD in over a decade and Activision already released all the remakes I cared about I couldn't care less about who owns them. Xbox + Bethesda + Blizzard + Activision is a perfect fit, all long past their prime and in terrible shape.
Yeah we dodge a bullet. I'd lose my shit if they actually bought a studio that I care about.

• Shake
Reactions: Nhomnhom

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
The best case is everyone is a publisher on Steam, and Steam comes in a lot of different, compatible forms, including from Sony.

• haha
Reactions: Muddasar

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Cspcom and square is tough. They make stuff for Nintendo and Nintendo is kinda national treasure in Japan. Kadokawa seems like the best option of all. From barely owns their ips anyway. Plus the anime stuff. Of my wishlist which was imsoniac, bluepoint, Housemarque only kojima is left. Other than that kodokawa makes the most sense. In before elden ring bla bla they don't own that
Kadokawa owns so much non-gaming stuff that an acquisition would be extremely unwieldy and unlikely. They even do school textbooks which none of these companies would care about.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
SLB1904

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Content droughts don’t actually exist. People buy playstations (and always have) for 3rd party games. These droughts only exist to a small segment of enthusiast that feed on hype and showcases that most owners don’t even watch.

People are saying sony are in a content drought when last year had an onslaught of major titles every month. This year we’re in a “content drought” with a new tekken, yakuza, rise of ronin, persona, helldivers 2, PoP, Final Fntasy, etc. etc.

Most people don’t have the time to even play the amount of games that are releasing. People on forums just need shit to talk about. People have a ton of games to play

No one here is sitting around with nothing to play. 3rd party games are still games
Meanwhile I'm counting the ponies to upgrade part2, get helldivers, ff7. I might even get gran blue. Droughts? Lmfao

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Remember_Spinal

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Yes they should because IP's still matter and Playstation is still lacking in many genre areas. Consolidation is still gonna happen and it's best to not get further left behind.

But it's also not as drastically needed as perhaps last year with all the uncertainty.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Kadokawa owns so much non-gaming stuff that an acquisition would be extremely unwieldy and unlikely. They even do school textbooks which none of these companies would care about.
There is nothing stopping anyone from buying just From Software, the fact that they don't have many more investments in game makes it pretty easy. It's just a matter of offering them enough money.

Yeah we dodge a bullet. I'd lose my shit if they actually bought a studio that I care about.
SE, Capcom, Larian and From Software are the ones that I would really feel bad about.

Sega I don't give a shit anymore, MS can go ahead and buy them next Wednesday as far as I'm concerned.

OP
OP
SLB1904

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Sony also owns loads of random stuff

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
What steam even do? They have no exclusives. What's the point?
Steam is the platform, the game library, the username, the friends list, the system feature set, the party implementation, remote play, all kinds of SDK functionality, etc.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
There is nothing stopping anyone from buying just From Software, the fact that they don't have many more investments in game makes it pretty easy. It's just a matter of offering them enough money.

SE, Capcom, Larian and From Software are the ones that I would really feel bad about.
They should keep buying shares in Kadokawa and definitely need to buy shares in Capcom, the Saudi's are eyeing them hawkishly.

Reactions: Box and SLB1904

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
They need to go rekindle their relationships with Quantic Dreams, Hello Games and Supermassive and stop being dumb.

I hope they were smart enough to not let Ember Lab just get away. Kena sold extremely well across Europe

Reactions: Box and SLB1904

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
To those who say Sony is different from Microsoft, sure, they'd probably be slightly less pressure because PS gamers are more plentiful and conditioned to buy, but odds are they'd probably still have to open up publishing to Nintendo and PC.

People don't understand the magnitude of dropping billions on a takeover, there is IMMEDIATE pressure to get profits in asap and cover the financial hit, this is probably what did Spencer in (fully predict he leaves soon btw).

Cyberbroly7

3 Jun 2023
The title says it all.

What's happening with xbox I saw coming miles away. You don't buy a big successful 3rd party publisher to gate keep games. There is absolutely no chance games like cod will ever be exclusive.

Now all of you begging for take 2, EA etc

Do you guys want playstation to end up 3rd party? Because I sure don't.

Give me small developers instead of publishers thank you
U can gate keep stuff but not all of them , PlayStation is not Xbox and Sony is not Microsoft who dug their own grave with Gamepass which made the console a worthless emulator that feels like ure playing free pirated old and new games, games don't have the value themselves cause they are free of charge.....
....Sony needs a publisher for its studios, it's publishing and the talent (goes with studios)

Sony alone can get all Take Two studios busy with 4 IPs each and still need 2rd party studios to develop games for them while Xbox on the other hand is milking money from the publisher by giving nothing at all, they gave Bethesda nothing ever since they bought them so don't try to compare Sony with Microsoft 😐

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
They need to go rekindle their relationships with Quantic Dreams, Hello Games and Supermassive and stop being dumb.

I hope they were smart enough to not let Ember Lab just get away. Kena sold extremely well across Europe

Sony really did Quanitic dreams dirty