Sony FY2023 Earnings Announcement: 4.5M PS5 sold in Q4 (20.8M in FY2023, 59.2M LTD). Allocating 11.5 billion in future acquisitions.

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

PS5 is selling more than PS4 but Pi(g)scatella was still pushing the narrative that console sales are going down across the board 🤦‍♂️

Both things are compatible, he wasn't lying. PS5 had a bump last year because of being its peak year + recovery after shortages.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Sony can have a very healthy and growing console business and then a multiplatform GAAS service initiative..

The issue I have is that they sacrifice single player games as like a peace offering to Steam gamers and all you see is visceral hate from them towards Sony... the amount of hate videos about PS i've seen in the last week is staggering.

They need to just put the GAAS on PC with PSN and say " thats what you get, take it or leave it".

Rest is a waste of time and effort for people that will never like Sony / PS.

They don't sacrifice anything. These games aren't a peace offering for Steam gamers either.

Comments like these are baked in the bias of fanboyism.

The reality is these are low cost high profit margin ports. Sony doesn't care about hate videos. They care about profit margins. And PC ports are profitable. End of story. If they weren't profitable, do you know what Sony would do? They'd stop making them.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
They don't sacrifice anything. These games aren't a peace offering for Steam gamers either.

Comments like these are baked in the bias of fanboyism.

The reality is these are low cost high profit margin ports. Sony doesn't care about hate videos. They care about profit margins. And PC ports are profitable. End of story. If they weren't profitable, do you know what Sony would do? They'd stop making them.

Yes, when you strip out the cost of actually making the game, of course it artificially makes it look like a massive return but every other multiplatform developer / publisher attributes the cost of making the game to all platforms they bring the game to.

There is also no analysis into how many users they stand to lose or how owners of multiple platforms might react...by buying less games on PS or selling their console etc.

In a very narrow and short term perspective it is all upside, I agree.

Shareholders and money have really hurt gamings potential lately.

Having porting teams only adds costs too...

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sony can have a very healthy and growing console business and then a multiplatform GAAS service initiative..
Yes, it's what they have. Their console is again posting all time records again in most areas and metrics (or almost). And they are very happy with their GaaS stuff from MLB, GT7, Destiny 2 and Helldivers 2.

The issue I have is that they sacrifice single player games as like a peace offering to Steam gamers and all you see is visceral hate from them towards Sony... the amount of hate videos about PS i've seen in the last week is staggering.

They need to just put the GAAS on PC with PSN and say " thats what you get, take it or leave it".

Rest is a waste of time and effort for people that will never like Sony / PS.
Well, most of the hate I see Sony receiving is in this forums with die hard Sony fans who can't stand Sony releasing stuff outside PS.

But other than that, outside some isolated case where Sony fucked it up like releasing TLOU1R too rushed, initial Helldivers 2 server issues or the recent review bombing the user reviews are pretty positive.

In fact even these two cases partly recovered, TLOU has 71% positive in all time (89% in recent) and Helldivers 2 74% positive (67% in recent).

image.png

Regarding if PC it's a waste of time for them, they did in "other software" (PC + Destiny 2 & MLB in rival consoles):
  • FY22 67.74B yen ($432.8M)
  • FY23 105.36B yen ($673.3M, +55.57% up YoY)
They continue with their huge yearly increase of 1st party game revenue coming from outside PS. As we see the huge jump in Q4 must be because of Helldivers 2, but they also improved it in Q1 and Q2 YoY.

And to get context, $673M is around what a successful super SP AAA makes during all its lifetime selling around 20M or more. But during all its lifetime, not in a single year.

To get more context, they can fund with these $673M the whole budget of two big ass new AAA games of over $300M budget each.

To get more context, Capcom did this fiscal year a record $974M in revenue (from everything, including non-gaming stuff), but in 2022 they did $760M.

And make sure that in FY24 with the Helldivers 2 tail + warbonds, Destiny 2 Final Shape, Concord, Convallaria and Lost Soul Aside (these later two are announced for PC, but didn't say if day one), new ports like HFW+GoT+Until Dawn and discount of the older ports will continue increasing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Whats the temperature on the new Destiny 2 DLC? Are people hyped for it? Will it do numbers or nah?

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Whats the temperature on the new Destiny 2 DLC? Are people hyped for it? Will it do numbers or nah?

Anecdotal pre-order tracking and player numbers going in a month out is good (peaking on steam higher than helldivers today for instance) . 100 dollar edition has been number one pre order since stellar blade launch with not much against it other than Elden ring and Star Wars … which is strong but whatever. 2.5 - 3 million launch week would be my bet, one million concurrent across all platforms, close to 400k steam blah blah. It should be their biggest expansion launch to date. Not sure how other yearly expansions stack in total cuz I doubt we’ve ever gotten than info.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Yes, when you strip out the cost of actually making the game, of course it artificially makes it look like a massive return but every other multiplatform developer / publisher attributes the cost of making the game to all platforms they bring the game to.

There is also no analysis into how many users they stand to lose or how owners of multiple platforms might react...by buying less games on PS or selling their console etc.

In a very narrow and short term perspective it is all upside, I agree.

Shareholders and money have really hurt gamings potential lately.

Having porting teams only adds costs too...

You have to look at it in context.

Sony wasn't doing ports before and now they are. They specifically bought a port team. They have a porting budget. The company makes more money than they spend.

If Sony saw MAUs decline you would probably have a point. That's the biggest sign that people are jumping ship, but that isn't happening.

What that means is that the people who haven't purchased a PS5 yet are still playing on PS4 in addition to new consumers. MAU as mentioned in the Q&A is the strongest metric of the health of the PlayStation platform. If MAUs declined significantly that would mean there are people leaving the platform, if you see an uptick in sales on PC at a similar number of the MAU decline that would suggest people were going to PC. It's not that hard to figure out. This is also why Sony wants people to sign into PC so they can better track spending habits.

24 Jun 2022
According to @Puff Sony had more profits than Nintendo this quarter:

YTD Operating Income (Exchange Rate $1= ¥151.34)

Sony G&NS $700 m
Nintendo $426 m
Activision (loss) ($350 m)

The #1 company in this industry is Sony, who makes the biggest revenue (and this quarter more profit than Nintendo too).

TBF, Nintendo didn't release any big new games last quarter, and SIE had an unexpected viral hit in Helldivers 2. Also Switch sales are finally in their twilight years for the most part, while PS5 sales are only just starting to come down from the peak demand levels.

Normally, Nintendo brings in more operating income than SIE. They'll probably bring in more profit per quarter than Nintendo for FY '24 Q1 as well, and maybe even Q2. But after that Nintendo should be back to business as usual and I don't see PS5 Pro giving SIE the edge in profits for the holidays.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
TBF, Nintendo didn't release any big new games last quarter, and SIE had an unexpected viral hit in Helldivers 2. Also Switch sales are finally in their twilight years for the most part, while PS5 sales are only just starting to come down from the peak demand levels.

Normally, Nintendo brings in more operating income than SIE. They'll probably bring in more profit per quarter than Nintendo for FY '24 Q1 as well, and maybe even Q2. But after that Nintendo should be back to business as usual and I don't see PS5 Pro giving SIE the edge in profits for the holidays.

All depends on profit margins of hardware and software maturity.

Sony is entering a phase of maturity whereas Nintendo will be introducing a new device with probably slim profit margins and low software sales.

I'd expect Sony to outprofit Nintendo the next 3 years minus any M&A.

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Well, Sony's OI improvement is part of a trend, isn't new or specific of a viral game. Yes, Helldivers 2 did help for this quarter, but it made a small portion of SIE's revenue/OI. Continuing this trend, over time they'll keep improving their OI until they consistently outperform Nintendo in a permanent basis.

This graph is from last year, very likely they'll update it at the end of this month. In FY23, they had 290B yen, recovering from the acquisition costs but still not at the 346B they did in FY21.

image.png

In recent years they had many costs related to acquisitions that apparently will highly ease out during FY24, which are the main reason of why their OI did stop growing (combined with the increase of hardware manufacturing and shipping costs).

In recent 5 years (Jimbo + Hermen era) they also highly grew their internal teams to allow them work in more games at the same time plus signed record amount of 2nd and 3rd party deals, which also negatively affects their OI in a lower level in the short term, but making investments that years later (to build a team and make AAA titles take many years) will pay out generating higher revenue and OI. Soonish these investments should start to pay out.

In recent years they also did cut the fat of underperforming / less promising stuff cancelling some games, shutting down a few studios and firing like 1000 people, which also should improve the OI.

Sony will consistently improving their OI, specially as they keep releasing new PC ports, successful GaaS and movie/tv show adaptations (and in the future mobile games) since they have a way higher ROI than the average SP AAA console only release.

One of their main goals of the mid-term (3 years period started last month) plan is to improve their OI. At it may be one of the reasons of why they'd want to keep a low profile with new acquisitions: they'd want to complete the payments of the previous ones before investing in new ones without negatively affecting their OI.

Same goes with the amount of projects under development: they have a record amount of 1st party games under development, many of them from new teams (including both created internally or acquired). So maybe they may want to wait to release several of the ones they have under development at the new teams before creating or acquiring more teams, in order to to keep improving their OI.

And then there's the part of improving their PC side: a Sony PC store they could release in the mid term would increase the OI from their PC stuff, which in case of the ports of old games already have a huge ROI and even the ports smallest stuff like Sackboy or Ratchet became profitable, so they could try to continue porting even old stuff that didn't have good sales.

And well, their userbase will continue growing thanks to many things, including to make their brands more popular thanks to movie/tv shows, PC ports, mobile game, etc.

They are working in many ways to improve their OI and have potential to make more, so make sure it will keep improving.

Last edited:

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Sony has said that due to changes in consumer behavior during the PS4 era, PlayStation‘s focus has shifted to increasing play time on the PS5 rather than increasing the number of games sold. This isn’t to say that there’s no emphasis on the number of software units sold, but that Sony wants to improve profits via player investment into the PlayStation ecosystem.
Sony said that its business model previously focused on increasing software units sold in conjunction with hardware units sold. However, there was a “transition” during the PS4 era where players presumably purchased fewer new games but spent more time on the console. Sony says that it managed to “significantly” improve profits as a result, and wants to capitalize on this trend going forward.
“The business model up to and including the PlayStation 3 was focused on increasing the number of software units sold in relation to newly sold hardware for each console generation,” said SIE chairman Hiroki Totoki. “After a transition period during the PS4 generation, the PS5 model has shifted to one where playtime on the platform has increased due to expansion of the user community beyond console generations.”

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
That's not what the article says. Just read the last paragraph. Totoki said the play time has increased, not that they're now focusing on that. It makes no sense. You earn more by people playing 5 games, 1 hour each than 1 game for 5 hours.

Is that an astroturfing site?

Reactions: VillaiN and Puff

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I will make a bold claim here.

Sony expected a price cut for PS5 in FY2023... in fact a price cut to boost sales in Q3.
That was why they projected 25m for the FY and after realize they could not do the price cut they stopped it to 21m.
If you look quarter by quarter you see PS5 sales where strong in Q1, Q2 and Q4 but fall short in Q4.

A price cut for PS5 should had boosted sales by 2-3 million in Q4 and so being close to these initial 25m projection.

I strong believe Sony expected a price cut for PS5 this year.
In fact they planned for a price cut.

But component tech didn't shrink enough to reach a lower price.
That is one of the results of having the Moore Law slowed.

Sony was not counting on a price cut. They had already called out the increase in component costs.

They were counting on demand tailwinds and Spider-Man 2 to push them over the top.

People making it sound like they missed the mark drastically, but when you take a look at it from a global standpoint you're really looking at like 1.5 million fewer units sold in the US and 2.5 million fewer units sold in Europe.

There was also this time during the transition to PS5 Slim where you just couldn't find a PS5 again that almost certainly hurt them in their total numbers.

You also had FF16 and FF7 Rebirth underperform, so you could probably say 1.5 million units fewer in US, 2 million fewer in Europe and 500K fewer in Japan.

Forecasting is difficult. I'm a huge Square Enix fan historically, but I don't own FF16 or Rebirth. If I didn't have my PS5 already, these would not have sold me. I'll buy them deeply discounted or offered for free on PS+ and play them on PS5 Pro. The lack of demand for both these games and the smaller demand for Spider-Man 2 isn't something you could easily forecast. I was surprised that they didn't do a FF7 Rebirth bundle in Japan.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
That's not what the article says. Just read the last paragraph. Totoki said the play time has increased, not that they're now focusing on that. It makes no sense. You earn more by people playing 5 games, 1 hour each than 1 game for 5 hours.

Is that an astroturfing site?
What he is referring to here is that so many gamers play F2P and GaaS titles, meaning that they're buying fewer games, but they might be playing more overall.

What this means is that if you only look at software sales, you're not actually capturing the actual picture.

Time played gives you a more 1:1 comparison between sales now and sales at any other point in history. Then you look at a combination of software sales and MTX/DLC.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Exactly! If it was that easy, everybody would just port to everything (Nintendo included) just to pump the numbers to shareholders.

Every port would be a success if you just have to recoup the salaries of the 2 employees that made it 🤡

I doubt Square is porting FF16 and FF7R to PC and they only care about covering the porting cost.

You have to look at it in context.

Sony wasn't doing ports before and now they are. They specifically bought a port team. They have a porting budget. The company makes more money than they spend.
Do you have any data that proves other publishers count each port separately? The full development and marketing is on the main platform only?

Ex: FF16 PC port will be a success if they sell 100k but the PS5 version will forever be regarded as a disappointment? That's how it works in their accounting? The full budget was on the PS5 version only?

What about Hifi-Rush PS5 porting cost? It didn't break even?

I really don't think that's how it works, you're just making special rules for Sony only so every PC port has a big ROI. A bunch of nonsense.

Reactions: Danja1187