Sony have no plan to release any major (established) franchise titles this year (April 2024- March 2025)

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Suddenly 25 million was unrealistic but last year when a few of us said 25 million wasn't happening... People on this site called us delusional. "PS5 is selling faster than any other PlayStation ever"

Truth be told if they manage to hit 21 million they will be lucky
Yea, before if you questioned it you were an Xbot. I thought PS5 would at least beat the PS4, to me that is the bare minimum and if the PS5 ends up selling less than the PS4 I think that is catastrophic for Sony and would show that traditional consoles are in fact on their way out.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
PC is not going to take on consoles because of a mass trend of young people getting into building desktops.

It's going to be fully integrated, small form factor models that are 100% ready to plug in and play with a gamepad. Something like this, with something like SteamOS pre-installed:

lighter

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
PC is not going to take on consoles because of a mass trend of young people getting into building desktops.

It's going to be fully integrated, small form factor models that are 100% ready to plug in and play with a gamepad. Something like this, with something like SteamOS pre-installed:

lighter

This is correct, it blows my mind people can't see it coming.

Valve learns from their mistakes and they learned a lot from the Steam Machines experiment. The main lesson was that Linux wasn't ready at the time and they went and worked on it and we can see the fruits of their labor with the Steam Deck and modern Linux gaming.

If all games, including PlayStation games are already being made to work on any hardware then PC is begin set up to take over. There is hardly any disadvantage for it except lack of physical media (something that unfortunate is dying).

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Yea, before if you questioned it you were an Xbot. I thought PS5 would at least beat the PS4, to me that is the bare minimum and if the PS5 ends up selling less than the PS4 I think that is catastrophic for Sony and would show that traditional consoles are in fact on their way out.
It's definitely selling less than PS4. It will be luck my to even reach 110 million.

And it's damning because they literally killed the PS4 sales to boost PS5 sales. Without PS5 the PS4 could have easily ended at 130 million

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It's definitely selling less than PS4. It will be luck my to even reach 110 million.

And it's damning because they literally killed the PS4 sales to boost PS5 sales. Without PS5 the PS4 could have easily ended at 130 million
That, combined with Xbox selling a lot less too is damning for the traditional consoles.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
This is correct, it blows my mind people can't see it coming.

Valve learns from their mistakes and they learned a lot from the Steam Machines experiment. The main lesson was that Linux wasn't ready at the time and they went and worked on it and we can see the fruits of their labor with the Steam Deck and modern Linux gaming.

If all games, including PlayStation games are already being made to work on any hardware then PC is begin set up to take over. There is hardly any disadvantage for it except lack of physical media (something that unfortunate is dying).

The original Steam Machines needed native linux ports. That's a big ask, and the platform still wasn't really ready for it. Even the best case for 2013 Steam Machines would've left out the whole history of PC games. They needed Proton to decouple "PC Gaming" from "Windows Gaming", and they fucking did it. Linux needed Vulkan, and now it's totally ready.

One great thing about it is it doesn't cut off the desktop builder, they're covered too. They can still run Windows. Developers target Vulkan or DX12, and one build of the game will address all these different form factors.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The original Steam Machines needed native linux ports. That's a big ask, and the platform still wasn't really ready for it. Even the best case for 2013 Steam Machines would've left out the whole history of PC games. They needed Proton to decouple "PC Gaming" from "Windows Gaming", and they fucking did it. Linux needed Vulkan, and now it's totally ready.

One great thing about it is it doesn't cut off the desktop builder, they're covered too. They can still run Windows. Developers target Vulkan or DX12, and one build of the game will address all these different form factors.
Proton was a huge game changer, I have been playing on Linux for 2 years now, I only boot windows for PCVR and or some specific game that makes sense to play on Gamepass.

Devs like Bungie and Epic are still getting in the way of Linux gaming but that will sort itself out we get more people playing on Linux (including SteamOS).

The gaming experience in Linux to me is already far superior to Windows in my experience as an AMD user. Baldur's Gate 3 on Windows on my hardware was close to unplayable while on Linux it was butter smooth, Elden Ring and RDR2 also ran better on Linux for me, solving stutter issues.

• brain
Reactions: flaccidsnake

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I'm hoping for some last minute fake out but man what a combo breaker.
2016, 2018, 2020. and 2022 were all awesome PlayStation first Party Years and if there is no big game this year especially one for the PS5 Pro launch then Sony needs to double down on nostalgia for the 30 year Anniversary of PlayStation.
FF7 Rebirth and Silent Hill 2 Remake are great starts but fix the PS2 emulator on PS5 and bring more PS2 classics along with more PS1 and PSP games.
Hopefully Metal Gear Solid Delta is this year
release a PS1 and PS2 themed PS5 already.
Also get remasters of more PS3 games like Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance Trilogy, and Killzone 2 and 3!

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Trolls will troll. Don't fall for the bait 😂 We should all move to tinkering with PCs and spending $800 plus to get 4K on PC and then fight with the damn thing to get consistent 80fps 😂😂 like most ppl will do. You ain't hear? According to some console gamers are moving to PC 😭😭😭
$800? Bro you need to add $1000 to that

Reactions: Gamernyc78

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
You’re high if you think SteamDeck 2 will come close to PS6. It will barley be as powerful as the PS5.
It won't be as powerful as the ps5. Node shrinks are becoming less impactful. It'll probably be in the ps4/pro-series s/xox range

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023

lighter

Exactly why PlayStation shouldn’t port their premier single player titles. What’s the point of PlayStation then? Why should I pay for online and have more expensive games.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
That is what I get from them last year.
No game from stabilized franchise in FY24.

That doesn't mean no major first-party release at all.

Optimist take would be they double down on third party partnerships to provide more for this year over last.

Granblue and Helldivers were already huge successes for the year as PlayStation exclusives and both high engagement live service-likes. Foamstars a bit of a miss.

They probably have stuff lined up like this for the rest of the year. Some of the best console exclusives are delivered this way so I don’t mind the strategy one bit.

Reactions: ethomaz

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
They probably have stuff lined up like this for the rest of the year. Some of the best console exclusives are delivered this way so I don’t mind the strategy one bit.
They are also announced far in advance, nothing is coming, wake up.

Their next big game is Death Stranding 2, hopefully in early 2025.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Exactly why PlayStation shouldn’t port their premier single player titles. What’s the point of PlayStation then? Why should I pay for online and have more expensive games.

There's not going to be a point to Playstation regardless. Locking games down won't create a point for Playstation hardware, it just sabotages game sales. What they should do is figure out how to lean into it, and thankfully they are. It's only the conservative fanbase having a problem here. Jim Ryan said "the more the better" when it comes to PS games on PC.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
There's not going to be a point to Playstation regardless. Locking games down won't create a point for Playstation hardware, it just sabotages game sales. What they should do is figure out how to lean into it, and thankfully they are. It's only the conservative fanbase having a problem here. Jim Ryan said "the more the better" when it comes to PS games on PC.
Worked for PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/PS5, the moment they started to port to PC we entered this mess where it looks like the console market is dying outside of portables.

Based on the leaked number we got from Sony it's pretty obvious people seem to underestimate the impact of exclusives.

Games like God of War, Spider-man, TLoU, Uncharted 4 and Horizon selling close to 20m or more while also being included on PS+. Games like TLoU Part 2, Miles Morales, GT7 selling 10m+. Even games like Bloodbrone selling over 7m units despite never even getting a 60fps patch. Those are all great numbers, specially when compared to how poorly many of them did on PC.

Most third party publishers would kill for this sales and they happened all on just PlayStation.

Last edited:

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
They are keeping that whole business alive with their record revenues when their main rival is deep in the red and failing... It took MS upwards of 3 years to sell 21 millions of their Stupid Series, PS5 sells that in just 1 year and they are doomed?? Fuck off

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Worked for PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/PS5, the moment they started to port to PC we entered this mess where it looks like the console market is dying outside of portables.

All this shit I'm talking about is not killing consoles as we speak. It's near future but it's not here yet. PS5 is doing well overall. Xbox is failing because it sucks. PS bringing games to PC isn't having a massive impact on platform decisions yet, it's just free money for Playstation.

PS4 and PS5 are PCs inside. After 3 generations of bespoke architectures, Playstation, Xbox, and PC are 99% identical hardware. That is a product of technological advancement. Mark Cerny isn't trying to make some brand new futuristic CPU for PS6. The latest rumors have Sony going full steam ahead with AMD and I fully believe it.

The further advancements particularly on Linux and Proton happened outside of Playstation's control. This is something new. We knew Valve were working on it, but the Steam Deck showed they're weren't fucking around. If Playstation waited until after PS6 launched to start bringing games to PC, they'd be caught way behind the curve. It would be smarter if they made PS6 *as* a PC for real.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vertigo and Banana