Sony Interactive Entertainment announced today to acquire Audeze, a leading audio technology brand and pioneer of high-end gaming headphones

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Doom & Gloom preachers incoming in 3, 2, 1…
Yup i can hear it.

ARQn.gif

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
Audeze specializes in making Planar Magnetic drivers, and have been at the forefront of the tech's development for years now.

I'm assuming that Sony wants to integrate the tech into its audio and gaming divisions.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
As I remember the whole Sony (not SIE) removed most of their acquisitions/investments/stock repurchases budget for the current FY, but they kept around $400M there for maybe some last minute small acquisition or investment. Maybe the company wasn't in a great finantial shape and Sony saw the opportunity of buying it cheap to improve their team for their headsets and earbuds team plus maybe get some related tech or patents.

24 Jun 2022
As I remember the whole Sony (not SIE) removed most of their acquisitions/investments/stock repurchases budget for the current FY, but they kept around $400M there for maybe some last minute small acquisition or investment. Maybe the company wasn't in a great finantial shape and Sony saw the opportunity of buying it cheap to improve their team for their headsets and earbuds team plus maybe get some related tech or patents.

A company at the forefront of new audio technology seen as the next big thing in that part of the tech industry was struggling? Sony waiting for companies to struggle financially in order to sweep in and buy them?

Man, they really do be taking a page or two out of Microsoft's playbook :S

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
they make mid range to high end headphones

A company at the forefront of new audio technology seen as the next big thing in that part of the tech industry was struggling? Sony waiting for companies to struggle financially in order to sweep in and buy them?

Man, they really do be taking a page or two out of Microsoft's playbook :S
Well, it's a niche market. even if audiophiles spend thousands of dollars each, they're like 0.01% of the market. Also there's no real indication that they're struggling, but maybe they were looking to cash out.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Jesus christ, Jim Ryan is trying to turn Playstation into a headphone and accessories brand. That's all playstation has been marketing since he joined.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
By the time Microsoft, tencent, embracer, and the saudis own all gaming studios, sony can be their headphones/sound engineers. Cool to to see!

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Annnnnd nothing for Playstation after all according to the CEO said... Gaming is very niche. Next year they will buy 5 man indie start up studio and Hermen will hop on Twitter gloating about how impressed he was wit the decor of their office, it spells bright things for the future of this studio.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
This wasn't a PlayStation purchase, this was Sony. Jim Ryan had nothing to do with this one.
Jim Ryan is the President and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE), a subsidiary of Sony.

Annnnnd nothing for Playstation after all according to the CEO said... Gaming is very niche. Next year they will buy 5 man indie start up studio and Hermen will hop on Twitter gloating about how impressed he was wit the decor of their office, it spells bright things for the future of this studio.

It's scary how accurate this parody is. I've not seen any of them talk about high quality singleplayer games since they got their positions.

Just GaaS, VR, and headphones all the way down. I guess that's the new Playstation brand.