Sony Interactive Entertainment announced today to acquire Audeze, a leading audio technology brand and pioneer of high-end gaming headphones

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Yes, but he's not in charge of Sony, the parent company. Sony CEO make all the decisions, including budgeting for the PS division.

Can't say I'm a fan but it seems Sony overall is reluctant to invest in gaming studios.
Well the CEO hates Gaming. I'm too lazy to go dig up the interview he did years ago calling it very niche. Apparently Playstation was gutted during Covid and last year as well. Who knows, but the changes has been obvious.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Audeze nuts

I echo these sentiments.

Why can't Sony buy anything interesting or exciting for the PS fanbase.

Something along the lines of Insomniac, Bungie, Bluepoint etc.

Nobody knows what Audeze are... the PS brand or Sony are instantly recognizable already. Unless they were getting a famous artist to put their name to a headset. Pointless.... really pointless.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Annnnnd nothing for Playstation after all according to the CEO said... Gaming is very niche. Next year they will buy 5 man indie start up studio and Hermen will hop on Twitter gloating about how impressed he was wit the decor of their office, it spells bright things for the future of this studio.
Like Deviation's wall plastered with PS controllers?
Fuck these unproven no-name mobile/GAAS studios.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I echo these sentiments.

Why can't Sony buy anything interesting or exciting for the PS fanbase.

Something along the lines of Insomniac, Bungie, Bluepoint etc.

Nobody knows what Audeze are... the PS brand or Sony are instantly recognizable already. Unless they were getting a famous artist to put their name to a headset. Pointless.... really pointless.
There's nothing wrong with improving the quality of their product. They're putting planar magnetic drivers into the new headsets which is high end audiophile level equipment.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Well the CEO hates Gaming. I'm too lazy to go dig up the interview he did years ago calling it very niche. Apparently Playstation was gutted during Covid and last year as well. Who knows, but the changes has been obvious.
PS been gutted since Layden lost out. Korderas and Ryan have sucked ass since that time.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Jim Ryan is the President and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE), a subsidiary of Sony.

It's scary how accurate this parody is. I've not seen any of them talk about high quality singleplayer games since they got their positions.

Just GaaS, VR, and headphones all the way down. I guess that's the new Playstation brand.
Hold up, you got mad at me last time for saying the EXACT same thing 🤔 Oh well, I'm glad to see you've caught on, I hope others here start to as well.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Like Deviation's wall plastered with PS controllers?
Fuck these unproven no-name mobile/GAAS studios.
Ironic because I had the most faith in this studio outta all the partnerships they announced and I was so looking forward to seeing what they could do ... I'm all for them investing and buying GaaS studios... So they can leave their Single Player Studios alone.... Look what chasing GaaS has done to Naughty Dog, they've been in disarray for over 2 years.

Pray for London Studios as they won't make it out alive, this generation.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
PS been gutted since Layden lost out. Korderas and Ryan have sucked ass since that time.
Layden should have never left but I wasn't keen on him taking over either. They should have kept a structure and made him President of the Americas... Let him and Jim report to each other ... it's clear having one King has been a disaster for them.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
There's nothing wrong with improving the quality of their product. They're putting planar magnetic drivers into the new headsets which is high end audiophile level equipment.
They need to improve the output of their games... Stop focusing on unimportant things majority of their paying customers ain't gonna financially support nor care for.

Reactions: Puff

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
why do they need these no name headphone makers?

i thought Cerny had the 3D ear haptics tech, and someone produced those already made InZone (gag!) headsets. what a waste of fucking money.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
A company at the forefront of new audio technology seen as the next big thing in that part of the tech industry was struggling?
I have no idea about this company, it's the first time I heard about it.

I did a quick search and saw it was a private company with 31 employees funded in 2008 with a $126K crowdfunding.
https://pitchbook.com/profiles/company/109004-50#overview

Googled a bit more and seems that they are very important in the high-end headset submarket. But didn't find any info about their sales, profitability or market position.

Sony waiting for companies to struggle financially in order to sweep in and buy them?
I didn't say that.

I meant that in many cases when there is a company with good assets but has finantial issues instead of shutting down the company or firing a large portion of people they decide to sell. So sometimes bigger companies get appoached by them or viceversa.

It's something common, but I have no idea if this was the case of Sony or Audeze. But I think it may be the case because a few months ago Sony reduced to around $400M for the whole Sony their budget for acquisitions+investments+stock repurchases for this year and said they were basically pausing big their acquisitions until the mid to long term. Meaning, it must have been a small/cheap acquisition, they may be important in the high end headsets submarket but they shouldn't be an expensive giant.

Annnnnd nothing for Playstation after all according to the CEO said... Gaming is very niche. Next year they will buy 5 man indie start up studio and Hermen will hop on Twitter gloating about how impressed he was wit the decor of their office, it spells bright things for the future of this studio.
The CEO said the opposite, that he wants Sony to focus on their entertainment business, particularly gaming, and that in 2-3 years will sell most of their banks business to get a lot of cash for enterntaiment related acquisitions.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
The CEO said the opposite, that he wants Sony to focus on their entertainment business, particularly gaming, and that in 2-3 years will sell most of their banks business to get a lot of cash for enterntaiment related acquisitions.

Nope he said gaming is niche right around the time the PS5 hype machine was getting oiled up.... Shortly after he almost undermined Playstation when he met with Satya for Azure.

And why would I trust a word from that out of touch relic? He's been saying that same crap from last year, and we still have yet to see Playstation acquire any intellectual gaming IP properties.

He's a penny pinching accountant who needs to go.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
A company at the forefront of new audio technology seen as the next big thing in that part of the tech industry was struggling? Sony waiting for companies to struggle financially in order to sweep in and buy them?

Man, they really do be taking a page or two out of Microsoft's playbook :S
did i read the term 'industry leading' somewhere in the blurb. Literally never heard of them, even as a cheapy brand you might see down your local Tescos. I know 'Technika' wank TV's (or whatever they were called) more than I know about this company.

24 Jun 2022
I didn't say that.

You didn't have to, because what you describe afterwards is exactly what Microsoft did with Zenimax and wants to do again with ABK.

I meant that in many cases when there is a company with good assets but has finantial issues instead of shutting down the company or firing a large portion of people they decide to sell. So sometimes bigger companies get appoached by them or viceversa.

Basically what MS and Zenimax did. So, if that's the case here with Audeza & Sony, it would be taking a page out of that playbook.

It's something common, but I have no idea if this was the case of Sony or Audeze. But I think it may be the case because a few months ago Sony reduced to around $400M for the whole Sony their budget for acquisitions+investments+stock repurchases for this year and said they were basically pausing big their acquisitions until the mid to long term. Meaning, it must have been a small/cheap acquisition, they may be important in the high end headsets submarket but they shouldn't be an expensive giant.

For their sake it'll work out for them hopefully. But, as it's nothing related to gaming software, I honestly couldn't care less. Maybe if/when I want to go more full-tilt in music production and need some premium headphones, this sort of stuff will matter more. But that isn't the case currently.

Again the issue increasingly becomes that what they (Sony) may want in 2-3 years won't be available for them to get in 2-3 years. Or, in addition, that any meaningful content that type of gaming acquisition would bring (beyond titles that were already in development prior to the M&A) won't have any material effect on the PS5 this generation.

So in the context of what it would do for PS5, it's a moot topic. In the context of what it'd do for PS6, it really depends on what type of gaming acquisition it is, when it's made, what content is in the pipeline at time of acquisition, when it'll be ready, and whether it's prioritized for PS6 or doing some soft exclusivity thing. Or, if it turns out to be multiplat content (diminishes its impact as a driver for PS5/PS6 console sales) instead.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Nope he said gaming is niche right around the time the PS5 hype machine was getting oiled up.... Shortly after he almost undermined Playstation when he met with Satya for Azure.

And why would I trust a word from that out of touch relic? He's been saying that same crap from last year, and we still have yet to see Playstation acquire any intellectual gaming IP properties.

He's a penny pinching accountant who needs to go.
Source? Sounds like another anti-Sony fantasy typical from IconEra, that goes straight against reality.

Gaming is an aprox. $200B/year market with 3B players, I highly doubt any Sony exec (or any other exec from any other gaming company) may have said that gaming is niche.

If something, the more relatively similar -but totally different, basically the opposite- that he could have said is that gaming is a huge market with a few billions of players, but consoles only reach a very small subset of it (around 200-300M players during decades), and looking at PS only it represents even a smaller percentage of the giant gaming market even if they highly increase their market share inside consoles.

So that the growth working only in PS is very limited and in order to grow a lot their gaming business, in addition to continue focusing on PS investing on PS more than ever before, Sony also decided to expand to other gaming platforms, particularly mobile or PC, because a big majority of the players are there. Particularly the ones from growing regions like (non-Japan) Asia or South America, which represent a huge portion of the players, where they mostly play on mobile or PC only. PC and mobile is way more important in these markets than allso is in EU+NA+JP.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
Who Is That Jeremy Renner GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Audeze makes studio quality headsets.
If anyone is serious about headset sound... they offer the best.
The new Maxwell set is incredible with my only issue being its weight(over 1lb)

Reactions: anonpuffs

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Sad to see gamers acting like football fans desperately hanging on for the next big-name signing.