Sony Interactive Entertainment announced today to acquire Audeze, a leading audio technology brand and pioneer of high-end gaming headphones

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Sony spending millions marketing headphones and new tv shows with no new first party games for 2024 should worry every Sony first party fan, not make you wanna run away from the truth. I've not seen anything from any of the studios I care about this generation, and the last shred of hope came in a showcase so horrible it's better to forget it happen.

Rob Lowe Ohno GIF by britbox

• haha
Reactions: Remember_Spinal

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
God, I knew when the news I have to click on this thread to see gold.

From what I heard, appearently it is more economical for them to buy Audeze outright then to buy lisences from them, you know, that way.

I don't know why this is news though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muddasar

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
What are these comments? Sony likely did not break the bank to acquire them and its possible they worked together on their new headset announced yesterday. They may also be licensing tech which they eill no longer have to do.

Its a win for both companies involves and will lead to better headsets. You can settle down with the doom nonsense
It’s moving around $30M Dollars, that’s not really much. This an acquisition the entire Sony Corporation will profit on.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I'm sorry, what? I wasn't making a random list, but one of depreciated/abandonned game-related things. I didn't understand a comment about microwaves earlier on, so I'm guessing you're being tounge-in-cheek. Sometimes I don't catch-on with my autism... anyway...
I meant that it was comparing apple to oranges. This is just a PS5 controller accesory. Like DualSense or DualSense Edge, but for Remote Play.

They need to fix this shit fast. PS3 server blades included, and sort that BC out. I find it disgraceful that they nerfed PSNow's reach, and haven't moved prior PS3 digital purchases of PS1/2 games over to the new PStore or PS+ Streaming. Point of information, I dont think anyone ever asked for spruced-up game graphics with trophies and save states, they just want the PS3 digital purchases they've already made to have access to them again. Or for more games to be put up on PStore/PS+ in general. Why only RE1 PS1 Director's Cut version, with clown farts in the basement. Why not original version too? Why not RE2/3 or the DC series, which used to be available on PS3 digital?
PS3 server blades are literally PS3 console hardware in server blades, not BC. Games there work exactly like in a PS3 because they are literally the PS3 console hardware mounted on server blades, there is no emulation involved. In the same way that PS4 server blades are PS4 console hardwarre mounted in server blades. And same goes with PS5 or Xbox blades. They are all the same console hardware but configured to operate via cloud gaming.

Regarding the PS1 games available for PS4 and PS5, if you already bougth them on PS3, PSP or Vita you can download them for free and play them in PS4 or PS5. No need to have PS+. PS2 games were different because they weren't exactly just emulated games in both PS3 and PS4 because in the 2nd they added extra stuff like trophies etc. which required extra work and different licensing, so they count as different projects for the PSN library, so there's no crossbuy.

In addition to this, there's the licensing. The publisher/IP owner of each game decides which versions of their games they do put on each store. Meaning, maybe Capcom don't want to put in PS4 and PS5 the original PS1 versions of RE2 and RE3 because relatively recently they released remakes of these games and they prefer you to buy the remakes. Capcom may also have included the Director's Cut of RE1 only instead of both because they may think that the amount of work and paperwok required wasn't worth it and maybe thought that it was better to include its definitive version only, which fixed some stuff from the original one and added a few extra things.

Any numbers to say it was unused? Or did it just get cut-away and swept under the rug when the PStore got changed, I believe for PS5 era?
As I remember they didn't mention specific numbers. Simply said they were going to discontinue certain old discontinued platforms from PS Now, as all companies do in these cases. Can't remember now when they did discontinue each platform, but as I remember it was before PS4. As when some mobile apps stop supporting old devices or OS versions when updating it.

Either way, that functionality should be ressurected. GP only needs an app, not an XB to run. It'll be coming in Samsung TV's built-in, and it'd be easy enough to dl GP app from android store if a TV uses GoogleTV (which even Sony's do the last time I checked). Sony should be throwing PS+ streaming into all their TVs, and get a PC app and an android app realised. ESPECIALLY if the dumbass Portal has no PS+ streaming capabilities. PS focusing on 'xcloud' feature of streaming from the PStore rather than dl or buy a game; but they've not even got the service pentration to GP/prior PSNow levels of ubiquity.
The PS Now doesn't need to be resurrected, it's already alive. But for current platforms. They don't update that app for old discontinued platforms that are no longer available. They are working to bring PS Now to smartphones/tablets/smart tvs, but I assume that this time instead of being for Xperia Play or a specific Bravia is going to be for Android or iOS.

Ballistic/SMG might be a bad/overly-generalized example. I'm saying the company had grand visions under people before Korderas/Ryan, and things got cutback/discontinued, and now they're digging around in the dirt for scraps. Cloud aspirations for penetration, 3P relationships souring and losing former exclusive devs, suceeding the portable market to Switch when they could have salvaged Vita, and now looking at Deck and company and thinking that PS Portal is in any way an adequete device as a response. It's not.
The current plans they have are the same ones they had before. In fact they will achieve soon the long term vision they shared 10 years ago when announced the project that was going to be PS Now: a library with hundreds or thousands of games from all PS generations available via cloud gaming in console, PC, mobile, smart tvs etc.

Regarding Remote Play, for the first time they will release a dedicated device, so they willl support it more than ever. Regarding crossbuy, there's full BC with PS4 and they added the PS1/PSP classics recently for PS4 and PS5. Most crossgen games are crossbuy for free or have a small upgrade fee. They are also spending more money than ever in 2nd party and 3rd party deals.

But 3P deals now -not only for Sony, but also for MS or Nintendo- are more frequently console exclusives than full exclusives, and more frequently timed exclusives than full exclusives, because it's a win/win for the platform holder and the publisher. The publisher can publish the games in more places to make more revenue, something they need because games are more expensive to make now so need extra revenue. The platform holder still gets a PR hit and marketing support but can get more games with the same money because a timed console exclusive is cheaper than to get a full exclusive.

Half-baked VitaTV, Xperia Streaming Fan, Portal products.
Dead PSTV service.
Depreciated PSNow device reach.
More Focus on non-gaming areas of Sony - Im sorry, who's bringing in the money, Sony?
Vita, VitaTV or Xperia Play didn't bring money, so they did stop supporting them. PS home consoles and their accesories bring money. So they focus on PS home consoles and accesories, like PSVR2, DualSense Edge or PS Portal.

People talk about treating PS fans as ATM Machines, but Sony are too bitch baby scared to do a Vita 3.5 (or PS4 Portable). I dont expect it to be a cheap and nasty product. Im paying to turn my PS library portable. I think it would be especially prudent for Sony (losing sales and mtx percentage to Valve when someone chooses PC/Deck) to get this device done and out there before Switch 2 comes along, Deck gets another spec upgrade, 50M other portable pc's of varying abilities come out. Sony should be like 'Forget all those pretenders, we got the real shit'. But no, instead their device looks cheap and nasty with it's controller bolted to a screen, and it is extremely feature lacking. Don't tell me what they're doing again with Portal, I'm saying it's the wrong thing to do. Im saying it's the Destruction AllStars of companion devices. It'll get laughed out the building for being so shite, and maybe just maybe we'll see a PS4P like we are going-to a new Twisted Metal game, but I'm more sure a naff Portal reception will only serve to scare them off a Portable even more. It is just another in the long line of half-baked products shat out and abandonned.
PC ports are very cheap compared to brand new games, and sell millions of copies. Meaning that even if Valve gets a 30% they must be very profitable to Sony. So Sony is ok with Steamdek.

You say that like it's my fault or something. They had a PS mobile division. They had PS minis for wrapping phone games in a PS emulation layer. They currently have various mobile devs dotted around the movie/music/anime arms of Sony.
It isn't your fault. I was one of the few guys who bought PS Minis, and loved a few of them. But it wasn't a successful initiative, so over time they did stop supporting it. Yes, I know they have multiple devs in other divisions. I assume that now that they are reworking PlayStation Mobile they will put all of them together under the same store or publishing label. Or at least I'd do so.

They're not gonna wrap up all console games into an android wrapper, and code-in new touch controls.
Of course not. They will make mobile specific games for mobile.

The internet infastructure isn't reliable enough by and large, for streaming/remote play only. They need to attack the issue from a PS native side, and refactor PS4 into a portable machine, with local storage for when wifi/data is out. Fuck man, if I had to I'd take an Xperia phone with buttons all around the edges for PS, even if I had to throw it into seperate ''phone mode'' and ''PS4'' modes. You're Sony ffs, DO SOMETHING GOOD!
As of now it isn't technically possible to replicate exactly the PS4 hardware on a mobile device. The most similar thing would be to replicate something relatively similar with relatively similar horsepower but with different hardware.. That would mean that games should be ported, and nobody will port PS4 games at this point.

... What? The Vita would need those buttons from a PS pad so that when you click the little ''remote play PS4'' or ''remote play PS5'' apps, the games on those systems have the buttons available to them that they expect to have. Did I misunderstand what you were trying to say here?
PS Vita did use the back touch panel to simulate the missing PS1 buttons, but it was a poor solution. I said that since the start the first PS Vita should have included L2, R2, L3, R3 and vibration. So they could have emulated PS1 and PS2 more properly and would have been easier to adapt PS3 games, plus also have remote play from PS4 or who knows if even PS5. But by todays standard Vita had a shity wifi that wasn't good for remote play.

PS Portal is not a looker. Lets pretend that even if it works from across the globe somehow and could be taken far from home, there's no sense of style or anything to the device. It looks like the kind of thing I'd try to knock up myself if I was trying to DIY a PS4P. Would people play that on the bus (if they even could?). But hell, we dont even seem to have the option to, in terms of PS+ streaming. It's literally another half-product.
PS Portal is a PS5 Remote Play accesory to play at home, it isn't a portable console.

Their games aren;t exclusive to PS ecosystem: see Steam/Deck.
Sure Jan. We just flat earthers and concern trolls. Better than being bootlickers and dickriders though.
Don't be a flatearther, there are dozens/hundreds of PS4/PS5/PSVR/PSVR2 games exclusive to the PS not available on Steam.

It's pathetic to see a flatearther call someone a bootlicker for reminding you that games like Gran Turismo 7, Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok, Demon's Souls, TLOU2, GoT, Dreams, Bloodborne, Horizon CoM, RE Village VR, RE4R VR and many other ones are not available on Steamdeck.

To remind you the reality stating facts isn't to be a bootlicker.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
And if you wanna call it whining then that's a personal problem of yours as well.

I just find it funny how if people were cheerleading for everything Sony is doing many of you on this forum would apparently be happy? Is that what you want?

I still support Playstation. I also still think leadership is Shit, not reactive enough and bit arrogant towards their base... Good day!
crying-baby-crying.gif

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
What are these comments? Sony likely did not break the bank to acquire them and its possible they worked together on their new headset announced yesterday. They may also be licensing tech which they eill no longer have to do.

Its a win for both companies involves and will lead to better headsets. You can settle down with the doom nonsense
Woah, easy there. What we need is more doom 😄

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Eggman and Muddasar

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
To remind you the reality stating facts isn't to be a bootlicker.
Yes, but it means you probably get a lot of hurt feelings directed at you which are meant for Sony. I actually meant it tounge-in-cheekily myself, I enjoy conversing with you.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
There's nothing wrong with improving the quality of their product. They're putting planar magnetic drivers into the new headsets which is high end audiophile level equipment.

Is that patented or could they have done without buying Audeze?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Heh heh, whilst we're on the subject of varying public knowledge of a company purchased by Sony. Whatever happened to that 3D/VR avatar thing where you'd get to sit in a virtual stadium or something? That feels like ages ago, did anything ever come of that? Nothing even towards a PS Home 2 or PS Metaverse at some point?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
There's nothing wrong with improving the quality of their product. They're putting planar magnetic drivers into the new headsets which is high end audiophile level equipment.
Why is it a problem to buy them? This is a sub-$100m purchase.

audeze patents

Yes their tech is patented.
They will not cost too much. Price lies by $30 Million I heard.
I have no idea about audiophile level headsets, about this technology and even less that they had it patented.

I see in their website that they sell up to $4000-$4500 headsets, some of them being sold at $2000-$3000. They also have a $900 gaming headset and a cheaper $300-$330 cheaper gaming option. They also have in-ears for $900-$2500.

Including their tech -which I assume is pretty much top level stuff- in Sony's $150-$200 gaming earbuds and headsets sounds great specially at this pricing sounds great.

Also, if the acquisition is sub $100M, specially in the $30M range seems that they may even recoup that this same generation.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Pray for London Studios as they won't make it out alive, this generation.
They were super successful (particularly in EU, since many of their games were focused on EU/were pretty much EU only) with Singstar, Eyetoy, Buzz, PS Home and PSVR stuff. I think they never mentioned sales of their most recent game, Blood & Truth, but it got 80MC, won many awards and nominations.

I don't see why they would shut it down this generation since they have a great track record.

Are those studios making multipalyer or single player games?

Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Suckerpunch, Housemarque, Team Asobi, Bend, etc?
We don't know about housemarque, but other than that all the ones you mentioned are working in single player games. ND is also working in a MP game, and the Bend game has MP elements and at least one of the games at Suckerpunch is MP or has MP elements, as GoT1 did.

No we don’t

And if you have some secret information I’d like to know what they are
We saw trailers or got officially mentioned in interviews or job offers, these are the ones I remember not incuding the Chinese/Indian ones, VR, PC ports or mobile:

Insomniac: Spider-Man 2, Wolverine, MP 'project'
ND: TLOU Online and multiple games more at least one of them being SP
SSM: Cory new IP, GoW in a new mythology, rumored DLC/standalone GoWR spinoff
Guerrilla: Horizon 3, Horizon Online
Sucker Punch: GoT 2, MP project (probably GoT Legends 2)
Bend: Open world new IP with some Days Gony systems and MP elements
Team Asobi: acttion platformer bigger than the Astro games
Media Molecule: new game not using Dreams/LBP IPs
Kojipro: Death Stranring 2
Koei Tecmo: Rise of the Ronin
Ballistic Moon: narrative adventure, maybe similar to Until Dawn
Bungie: Destiny, Marathon, Matter?, maybe something else
Firewall: Concord
Haven: FairGame$
Deviation: MP shooter
London: MP hero based fantasy action game set in London
Firesprite: narrative adventure, car combat game, maybe more