Sony plans to bring PS+ to PC, browser, mobile and TVs

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Their PlayStation business makes plenty of profits on PlayStation without PC. PC is where they send their games to be pirated.
Ps profit is slim at the beginning of every gen also they’ve spent a lot on acquisitions, increased r&d, higher production cost, high logistical and supply cost during Covid, ps has slimed margins now than they had pre 2020. Ppl need to be realistic. Nintendo is 3rd in revenue right now but first in profit ps is 2nd and producing these big budget triple A games gets more expensive as time goes on. The console market isn’t growing and ps needs to find new sources of income from somewhere.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Ps profit is slim at the beginning of every gen also they’ve spent a lot on acquisitions, increased r&d, higher production cost, high logistical and supply cost during Covid, ps has slimed margins now than they had pre 2020. Ppl need to be realistic. Nintendo is 3rd in revenue right now but first in profit ps is 2nd and producing these big budget triple A games gets more expensive as time goes on. The console market isn’t growing and ps needs to find new sources of income from somewhere.
They do all that just so PC players can pirate the game multiple times for every copy sold? Sound like a terrible business plan, all that effort to produce content to sell PlayStations to them handle it to their direct competitor and even give them 30% of the revenue.

Why is Nintendo so profitable without releasing their games on PC? Maybe the console market isn't growing because Sony is porting their games to PC? PS5 is about to outpace PS4 in sales.

I myself am a PC player and that must be why I don't fall for this narrative, PC is not where AAA single player games go to make money, it's where publishers decide they rather make F2P/GaaS instead so their expensive game doesn't get pirated to death.

A portable selling 15m wasn't worht their time but porting their strongest IP to just sell 2m/3m tops is worth it? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I
The incredible brains behind this move...

Let people pay ten euro for a month and complete all the games they like so we can't sell consoles, full games, subscriptions for online or mtx anymore.

You can pretty much do that by buying a month or 2 of Plus/used games and a used console close to the end of its lifecycle. Sony gets even less money than with PC ports. And this is something that PC gamers used to do in the past to play exclusives

There's a hard cap on the number of core console customers you can get. Otherwise every PS after PS2 would have sold north of 150M. PC ports were always meant as a way to get money from folks that weren't interested in the PS ecosystem at all.

Cannibalization effects, while real, are always overstated on this place to help build a certain narrative.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
You can pretty much do that by buying a month or 2 of Plus/used games and a used console close to the end of its lifecycle. Sony gets even less money than with PC ports. And this is something that PC gamers used to do in the past to play exclusives

There's a hard cap on the number of core console customers you can get. Otherwise every PS after PS2 would have sold north of 150M. PC ports were always meant as a way to get money from folks that weren't interested in the PS ecosystem at all.

Cannibalization effects, while real, are always overstated on this place to help build a certain narrative.
What a great demographic they seem to be chasing, cheap bastards that don't value games. That worked out great for Xbox.

Even in your example of someone buying a PlayStation late in the gen it is still far more beneficial to Sony. It's one more PlayStation in the world that can only play games by making Sony money.

PC ports are a direct incentive for less PlayStation consoles to be sold.

• fire
  • brain
Reactions: Diah and ksdixon

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
What a great demographic they seem to be chasing, cheap bastards that don't value games. That worked out great for Xbox.

Even in your example of someone buying a PlayStation late in the gen it is still far more beneficial to Sony. It's one more PlayStation in the world that can only play games by making Sony money.

PC ports are a direct incentive for less PlayStation consoles to be sold.

PS Customers are to blame then, since they don't seem to be making Sony enough money to raise their profit margins. Forcing Sony to reach other markets.

Nintendo can put out cheap shit and sell it at full price for 6 years, while Sony needs top of the line graphics/production values and massive marketing spend to sell 20M copies at most (and with price cuts)

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Diah

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
PS Customers are to blame then, since they don't seem to be making Sony enough money to raise their profit margins. Forcing Sony to reach other markets.

Nintendo can put out cheap shit and sell it at full price for 6 years, while Sony needs top of the line graphics/production values and massive marketing spend to sell 20M copies at most (and with price cuts)
They are making Sony plenty of money, PlayStation costumers can't be held accountable for Sony's leadership greed and lack of vision. Sony never sold as many games as they sell now. Not that long ago they would kill for any game to sell 10m+, even in the PS2 days (PS2 GoW didn't even sell 5m at the time and other than Gran Turismo that was their best selling game). TLoU Part 2 alone will end up selling more than all PS2 ND games combined.

Imagine if Nintendo had freaked out over the WiiU and started porting their games to PC... Sony doesn't even have the excuse of having a flopped console.

Do you think Nintendo should port their games to PC? Do you think they are stupid for not doing so?

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
steam is pc gaming
Steam is also the main threat to PlayStation long term.

I like Steam (I even chose to use only Linux over Windos) but I also like my Sony AAA single player games and I know this is exactly how we end up without them in the long run.

PC market puts more pressure on publishers to push for GaaS/multiplayer over single player AAA because of piracy and cheapness. We used to have games like Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Crysis, Warcraft made specifically for PC making the most out of it and these devs all moved on from that to something else.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
They are making Sony plenty of money, PlayStation costumers can't be held accountable for Sony's leadership greed. Sony never sold as many games as they sell now. Not that long ago they would kill for 10m+ selling games, even in the PS2 days (PS2 GoW didn't even sell 5m at the time).

What about the budgets and marketing spend from those PS2 games vs now? Its all about profitability. And those PC ports, like it or not are extremely profitable.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: MScarpa and Vertigo

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
What about the budgets and marketing spend from those PS2 games vs now? Its all about profitability. And those PC ports, like it or not are extremely profitable.
Current games are easily far more profitable and Sony these days misses far less. All of their big studios now have a least one viable AAA IP.

I don't even get you point, you play down the success of their games as if PC ports were going to save them when we have the numbers and PC is hardly making them more money (10% extra revenue apparently, with 30% going to Valve and with all the added costed to make and support PC games).

As always it seems that all that matter to you is for the games to release on PC and if they don't they might as well not exists, so you got nothing to lose if later on they stop being made all together because they lost their purpose to exist. It's not a coincidence platform holders always did so well when it came to making quality games (with the exception of Xbox), they have more incentive than any other publisher to make these games.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Not every game needs to reinvent the wheel with ballooning costs after taking 8 years to make. And then when it doesn't sell super super loads it's dead as fuck.

More DLC and/or sequels for other characters stories.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Imagine if Nintendo had freaked out over the WiiU and started porting their games to PC... Sony doesn't even have the excuse of having a flopped console.

Do you think Nintendo should port their games to PC? Do you think they are stupid for not doing so?

Well, the thing is Nintendo does not have much left if they port their games to PC. Anemic hardware, terrible pricing, online straight from early 7th generation you name it. They don't even have portability as an advantage anymore.

PS and Xbox still are viable alternatives to a gaming PC tech wise. The core PS customer does not buy a PS for exclusives, buys it for the most generic multiplats, yet they would be hard pressed to build a gaming PC. They don't see the point.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Well, the thing is Nintendo does not have much left if they port their games to PC. Anemic hardware, terrible pricing, online straight from early 7th generation you name it. They don't even have portability as an advantage anymore.

PS and Xbox still are viable alternatives to a gaming PC tech wise. The core PS customer does not buy a PS for exclusives, buys it for the most generic multiplats, yet they would be hard pressed to build a gaming PC. They don't see the point.
Suddenly PS5 is now good, their prices are good, paid online is good, etc. Come on, you don't even believe what you are saying.

I bought PS3, PSP, PSV, PS4, PS5 all for exclusives since all along I also had a gaming PC. I even had a 360 because of exclusives, the moment Xbox started releasing their games on PC their console lost all it's purpose.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
As always it seems that all that matter to you is for the games to release on PC and if they don't they might as well not exists, so you got nothing to lose if later on they stop being made all together because they lost their purpose to exist.

Why would I care about anything but that as a gamer? Elaborate.

Of course I am interested in not having to buy a stupid box for 2/3 games per generation that I might like and have it gathering dust the rest of the time ,when I have a platform that can play said game the way I like it and better down the line as I upgrade.

I applaud Sony for finally entering the 21st century and noticing that those extra sales won't interfere with their console market. Because as you implied: The customer they are trying to reach DOES NOT WANT TO GAME ON A CONSOLE.

But of course, being part of a C Suite in a leading corporation must be a walk in the park. Gamers in forums can do it just as good if not better for a fraction of their wages!! Board of directors, what are you waiting for to save some cash!!

The heart of the matter is that lots of folks in forums don't like change. They feel their hobby is being threatened if things don't stay the same as they were years ago.
PS is the leading console company but somehow you want me to buy the idea that their entire business model might crash and burn because of some old PC ports that sell a couple million copies best case scenario. You just wait for it! These PC ports might cannibalize PS6 sales in 2029!!

Eventually the market will grow tired of superhero/sad dad games in third person and Sony will have to pivot to something else. Hell, they are already trying that with they gaas push. And you will have this place blaming Jim Ryan, Spencer ,PC gaming or whatever.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Why would I care about anything but that as a gamer? Elaborate.

Of course I am interested in not having to buy a stupid box for 2/3 games per generation that I might like and have it gathering dust the rest of the time ,when I have a platform that can play said game the way I like it and better down the line as I upgrade.

I applaud Sony for finally entering the 21st century and noticing that those extra sales won't interfere with their console market. Because as you implied: The customer they are trying to reach DOES NOT WANT TO GAME ON A CONSOLE.

But of course, being part of a C Suite in a leading corporation must be a walk in the park. Gamers in forums can do it just as good if not better for a fraction of their wages!! Board of directors, what are you waiting for to save some cash!!

The heart of the matter is that lots of folks in forums don't like change. They feel their hobby is being threatened if things don't stay the same as they were years ago.
PS is the leading console company but somehow you want me to buy the idea that their entire business model might crash and burn because of some old PC ports that sell a couple million copies best case scenario. You just wait for it! These PC ports might cannibalize PS6 sales in 2029!!

Eventually the market will grow tired of superhero/sad dad games in third person and Sony will have to pivot to something else. Hell, they are already trying that with they gaas push. And you will have this place blaming Jim Ryan, Spencer ,PC gaming or whatever.
So you want them to port games you don't even like so you don't have to buy a console for that and you don't care if they stop making them?Wouldn't it be easier to just not play them?

I expect no less from the average PC player, cheapness and no appreciation of games.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Lol, I Have no choice but to cope. Playstation as know and love is officially dead.

But let's be realistic, products are for the new generation. We became old and should start our grave preparations 🤣