Sony reportedly very confident with Jade Raymon's Fairgame$

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Hermens judgement is in question at this point.

Who asked for so many Horizon projects?

Who asked for all these GAAS?

His goals don't seem to be aligned or focused on anything to do with the PlayStation audience.
The Horizon stuff has all sold well so far. The Lego game is a nice test, do people want the world and characters or have they just been buying every big over the shoulder action adventure game regardless of specifics?

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Hermens judgement is in question at this point.

Who asked for so many Horizon projects?

Who asked for all these GAAS?

His goals don't seem to be aligned or focused on anything to do with the PlayStation audience.
I think he will depart soon. The Concordial collapse is catastrophic. It will cause unplanned restructure. Sony definitely never expected all GaaS to be successful, but they there is no doubt that they thought the failed projects will still recover a large portion of their development cost or break even, then the successful one will recover the cost rest of the failures and turn huge profits. However, they just had a massive collapse. They are already $100+ unrecoverable negative and I am not sure how much more they've lost with these painful refunds.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Yeah, the Horizon franchise has been wildly successful (32+ million sold). It's crazy to hear anyone suggest Herman Hulst hasn't been anything but a miracle for Guerilla over the years. The guy knows videogames better than 99.9 percent of the population.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
The strangest thing in hindsight is the they ''revealed'' more about FairGame$ despite launching later and kept Concord being a hero shooter under wraps until close to launch.

I assume we getting it in early 2025.
Plenty of lessons to be learnt one of them is not make it a staple showing in a SoP/Showcase wo other bigger announcements.

They are already $100+ unrecoverable negative and I am not sure how much more they've lost with these painful refunds.
What was the estimation 25k sold at best? 1 million in refunds tops.
They bought the studio last year 2023, previously partnered and co-funded the project with Probably Monsters in 2021. So it's not as dire as people make it out to be, with the headcount of 150. I would rather guesstimate/ballpark it under <100 more in the 60-80 range depending on the acquisition cost. Still not good for Totoki's beloved profit margins and could'v been spent on something else.

Helldivers recouped probably above half a billion by now. In the end it's about + and - in business and what's left at the end.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Yeah, the Horizon franchise has been wildly successful (32+ million sold). It's crazy to hear anyone suggest Herman Hulst hasn't been anything but a miracle for Guerilla over the years. The guy knows videogames better than 99.9 percent of the population.
For the last 4 year, Hulst was riding on PS4 success and huge momentum. The real Hulst started with Concord. Let's see what's gonna happen

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The strangest thing in hindsight is the they ''revealed'' more about FairGame$ despite launching later and kept Concord being a hero shooter under wraps until close to launch.

I assume we getting it in early 2025.
Plenty of lessons to be learnt one of them is not make it a staple showing in a SoP/Showcase wo other bigger announcements.

What was the estimation 25k sold at best? 1 million in refunds tops.
They bought the studio last year 2023, previously partnered and co-funded the project with Probably Monsters in 2021. So it's not as dire as people make it out to be, with the headcount of 150. I would rather guesstimate/ballpark it under <100 more in the 60-80 range depending on the acquisition cost. Still not good for Totoki's beloved profit margins and could'v been spent on something else.

Helldivers recouped probably above half a billion by now. In the end it's about + and - in business and what's left at the end.
With marketing, QC, and acquisition, it is likely $100+ and I am not counting other hidden cost. The motion capture will sky rocket the budget into AAA single player cost territory. The $150 million number floating around is likely a real number. The developer debunked the 8 years and said 4 years of actual development + 2 years with few people sketching, but didn't debunked that cost figure.

And yes, with 25k sales, the refund shouldn't be that much

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
With marketing, QC, and acquisition, it is likely $100+ and I am not counting other hidden cost. The motion capture will sky rocket the budget into AAA single player cost territory. The $150 million number floating around is likely a real number. The developer debunked the 8 years and said 4 years of actual development + 2 years with few people sketching, but didn't debunked that cost figure.

And yes, with 25k sales, the refund shouldn't be that much
Yeah I am just going off of 150 staff x 100k for simple maths. And the first 2 years were co-funding as well as hero shooters in general being cheaper to produce. We don't know about acquisition costs and fluctuations in salaries etc, I am just a little less bullish on the figures people are throwing around for dev cost. Eventually it will leak sometime, regardless it went down the drain.

Reactions: Killer_Sakoman

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
For the last 4 year, Hulst was riding on PS4 success and huge momentum. The real Hulst started with Concord. Let's see what's gonna happen
Hulst grew Guerilla games from a 30 person studio to 400+ today. The Horizon franchise sold north of 32 million copies. Hulst is a titan of industry.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
“We love our game, it’s our best game since our last best game.”

It got shredded on announcement and interest is below paltry. Let’s see what happens.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
The highly prolific failure of Concord may be so large that it sinks the entire GAAS market. I wouldn't be surprised to see more developers and publishers pull pin on plans in the future, shattering the already terrible predictions we've seen here from some that GAAS is the future.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Hermen is not responsible for Concord Sony was already backing the game before the guy was even promoted... This is not the game that's gonna take him down.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
“We love our game, it’s our best game since our last best game.”

It got shredded on announcement and interest is below paltry. Let’s see what happens.
Interest in PUBG, Fortnite, Roblox, Minecraft, Rocket League, Valheim etc were all "below paltry" pre release.

It means nothing.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Interest in PUBG, Fortnite, Roblox, Minecraft, Rocket League, Valheim etc were all "below paltry" pre release.

It means nothing.

The earlier games have the advantage of finding footing and evolving accordingly w/ user input and data and stay kings of the heap.

New games cannot be afforded time like those have been. Most are vets with decades of tech and iterative versions of their games behind them.

New entries into the mix totally need to have breakout new ideas. This is why palworld and helldivers took off.

Monster Hunter Wilds will also be the biggest game in the world when it comes out for a spell. We’re looking at close to 30 million for that one.

players are thirsty for new ideas… concord wasn’t one of them… can this be? I dunno what this game is even called 🤣

(Oh that’s actually the name of the game? Title sucks)

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
The earlier games have the advantage of finding footing and evolving accordingly w/ user input and data and stay kings of the heap.
All successful GAAS games do this. If Fairgame$ pops off, Haven Studios will do it too.
New games cannot be afforded time like those have been. Most are vets with decades of tech and iterative versions of their games behind them.
What?
New entries into the mix totally need to have breakout new ideas. This is why palworld and helldivers took off.
That definitely helps, but Valorant is doing crazy good on console and that's not a new idea. The console audience just wanted something good.
Monster Hunter Wilds will also be the biggest game in the world when it comes out for a spell. We’re looking at close to 30 million for that one.
Will be a hugely successful GAAS game, I agree.
players are thirsty for new ideas… concord wasn’t one of them… can this be? I dunno what this game is even called 🤣

(Oh that’s actually the name of the game? Title sucks)
PUBG was such a great name.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Call of Duty or Street Fighter and Monster Hunter are iterative. This is the same as Gaas. So when those games make the jump they make a seamless transition. Those devs do not have to struggle to find a foothold. Most success in Gaas whether it’s bungie, Activision or epic have been making networked online games for 20 plus years. That is clearly leveraged. This is a clear advantage over new games that don’t have the time those devs did a decade ago to mature; not unless they do something totally new.

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
Hermen is not responsible for Concord Sony was already backing the game before the guy was even promoted... This is not the game that's gonna take him down.
He was head of SIE studios before his current role and likely had a hand in purchasing Firewalk.

He owns this like Phil Spencer should own the lack of Xbox games in the late 360 + Xbone era.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Fairgame$ - eat the rich, No one can say that this game is not pandering to the lunatic leftist ideology prevalent on the west coast. There is a reason Sony completely lost Japan in terms of software sales and its not just due to handhelds being more popular.

I sincerely hope the commies turn up for this game which is tailor made to the T to suit their tastes