Sony will release Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart for PC in July 26

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Good luck waiting for games after 2+ years lol
Good luck waiting forever for all games released on PC/Xbox (and even Switch) that don't ever get released on PlayStation.

The future is PC old man, that is not me saying, that's Sony's stance.

Digital, GaaS, PC/Steam. That's the PlayStation way.

OP
OP
avenovah

avenovah

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
PS Studios the last 12 months or so:
2 PS4/PS5 exclusives
6 PC Ports
Incoming (announced):
1 PS5 exclusive
1 PC port
3 live service (all PC day one)
I have zero regrets about my getting PS5 day one because the other option has nothing, but I ate that "only possible with PS5 SSD" marketing stuff up and certainly don't feel like a first class citizen, especially compared to PS4.

Reactions: nongkris

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Well, at least they had the decency to not include this in the last showcase, it could've been even worse than it was.

No Denuvo again apparently, another game that will be release day one for BitTorrent users. You pay $70, master waiters pay $0.

Reactions: Edmund and rofif

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I wouldn't be so alarmed. PC and consoles have coexisted since forever and will remain the same.
With nixxes behind this port I have higher expectations now. It can be the best looking game ever once you factor DLSS, ray tracing and maxed out settings.

Assuming they won't port destruction all stars, all they have left now is the bangers from their catalog. I'd love for GT7 and Forza 8 to release on the same day on PC.

D

Deleted member 417

Everything.......

It's your opinion that the strat stinks. Under Jim they are making more money than they have ever. PC is bringing in money for them.
Xbox fans have said this for 15 years. Xbox hasn't been good for 15 years.

How many franchises are making more money than ever and are the shittest they've ever been?

Reactions: Nhomnhom
24 Jun 2022
I don't get it. Especially as someone who doesn't have FOMO, I don't get why Sony are basically devaluing their console this way. Its a question of checks and balances; you do a showcase with several 1P GaaS titles mentioning PS5 & PC (assumedly Day 1) and one even coming to Xbox. The only traditional 1P game you have at that showcase is Spiderman 2, which people already knew about from back in 2021. Now you roll out a blog announcement for Rift Apart to PC in two months.

Okay, save the PC port announcements for blogs; that is a smart decision. Maybe you've exhausted Rift Apart's market potential on PlayStation (I doubt this, but whatever), okay. In those one-off cases I suppose a port to PC would be sooner rather than later. But my gut's telling me Spiderman 2, as one example, is going to be on PC by late 2024, or by mid 2025. Can guarantee you Spiderman 3 will not be ready for console by then.

Good luck waiting for games after 2+ years lol

If you don't have FOMO then a two-year wait isn't that big a deal, especially if there are other games to occupy your time. And there's no telling if/when Sony will change their mind and say "Actually, we listened to fan feedback and they are perfectly fine with 6 month - 1 year delays for the PC ports."

I just don't see why Sony are so willing to relinquish control of their software and maximize spending of their playerbase within their own hardware ecosystem. PC is not their own hardware, Windows is not their own OS and Steam is not their own storefront. These things are creating dependencies for Sony where they don't need to exist, and that chips away at their sovereign ability as an independent to provide for 3P partners.

Even if they want to become less reliant on 3P sales, you can do it without purposefully or accidentally driving down the prestige of your console brand. Will there even be new expansion content for Rift Apart for PS5 owners around the time the port comes to PC? Will any of the QoL or visual/display features added to the PC version be made available to PS5 owners of the game?

Showing you prioritize your main customer base, console owners, isn't as simple as just releasing the game there a couple years early (and at higher price) before then bringing it to PC for cheaper and with more graphical & display features. That's only one degree above Microsoft's current strategy (which has created a brand identity problem for them), when it should be several degrees above them.

I wouldn't be so alarmed. PC and consoles have coexisted since forever and will remain the same.

They coexisted for a long time because they had diverging software libraries. There were lots of console-exclusive games and lots of PC-exclusive games.

However, Xbox began to blur that, and it did something else: PC gaming tastes started to shift towards a more console-friendly palette. That's because there was a large exodus of PC gamers in the early-mid '00s and late '00s as the AAA PC gaming market collapsed, and once-PC centric devs started developing for consoles, mainly Xbox 360. So PC-only gamers started going to consoles.

Since around mid 2010s', gradually more and more have been going back to PC either exclusively (due to Steam) or at least as a primary gaming platform, but they took their console gaming tastes developed the decade or so prior with them. That's why there are so many ports now of console games to PC, even Day 1, when that wasn't the case just a decade ago.

So that means that yes, they coexist, but now with much heavier crossover than in the past, since a growing number of modern PC gamers either developed console gaming tastes they took back with them, or have gotten into gaming off of newer games made with console-like gaming tastes and conventions (but are on PC). That's why there's a correlation between MS going Day 1 on PC for all 1P games and continued B2P sales degradation of their software on Xbox consoles (Game Pass also factors heavily into this). There is simply a lot more crossover between at least the hardcore/core side of the console audience, and console expats/casual and mainstream PC gamer audience (the hardcore PC gamers tend to just mess with PC-only franchises like League of Legends, Counterstrike etc) than many want to admit.

That's what makes Sony's strategy of porting their marquee traditional games to PC so dangerous to a segment of the console base; they're skirting a very thin line and we'll know soon if they've crossed it. This is why IMO the PC ports for those games should in best-case come several years after the game's been on console, and within a year of the new installment going exclusively to console. If you're not going to do that, if you're going to port the games to PC sooner say 2/3 years out, then at least bring some additional content (maybe a small expansion, or a bigger expansion like a Miles Morales) to the game that is bundled with the PC port of the original game (maybe to justify a slightly higher price), but can be had to console owners for a $10 - $20 upgrade as long as they own the original base game.

No matter what you have to make console owners feel like they are preferred customer base (because going by ARPU, they 100% are); simply releasing the game on console a couple years before the PC port isn't going to cut it in the long run.

With nixxes behind this port I have higher expectations now. It can be the best looking game ever once you factor DLSS, ray tracing and maxed out settings.

And that version would not be on a PS5.

Assuming they won't port destruction all stars, all they have left now is the bangers from their catalog. I'd love for GT7 and Forza 8 to release on the same day on PC.

I am sure you would.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The more Sony leans on PC the more pressure they'll get to invest in GaaS games because those are the game that will succeed on PC. R&C ain't going to sell at all, another PC flop.

I don't get it. Especially as someone who doesn't have FOMO, I don't get why Sony are basically devaluing their console this way. Its a question of checks and balances; you do a showcase with several 1P GaaS titles mentioning PS5 & PC (assumedly Day 1) and one even coming to Xbox. The only traditional 1P game you have at that showcase is Spiderman 2, which people already knew about from back in 2021. Now you roll out a blog announcement for Rift Apart to PC in two months.

Okay, save the PC port announcements for blogs; that is a smart decision. Maybe you've exhausted Rift Apart's market potential on PlayStation (I doubt this, but whatever), okay. In those one-off cases I suppose a port to PC would be sooner rather than later. But my gut's telling me Spiderman 2, as one example, is going to be on PC by late 2024, or by mid 2025. Can guarantee you Spiderman 3 will not be ready for console by then.

If you don't have FOMO then a two-year wait isn't that big a deal, especially if there are other games to occupy your time. And there's no telling if/when Sony will change their mind and say "Actually, we listened to fan feedback and they are perfectly fine with 6 month - 1 year delays for the PC ports."

I just don't see why Sony are so willing to relinquish control of their software and maximize spending of their playerbase within their own hardware ecosystem. PC is not their own hardware, Windows is not their own OS and Steam is not their own storefront. These things are creating dependencies for Sony where they don't need to exist, and that chips away at their sovereign ability as an independent to provide for 3P partners.

Even if they want to become less reliant on 3P sales, you can do it without purposefully or accidentally driving down the prestige of your console brand. Will there even be new expansion content for Rift Apart for PS5 owners around the time the port comes to PC? Will any of the QoL or visual/display features added to the PC version be made available to PS5 owners of the game?

Showing you prioritize your main customer base, console owners, isn't as simple as just releasing the game there a couple years early (and at higher price) before then bringing it to PC for cheaper and with more graphical & display features. That's only one degree above Microsoft's current strategy (which has created a brand identity problem for them), when it should be several degrees above them.
It gets to a point where no matter how much you like consoles the value and extra cost of continuing on PlayStation just pushes you towards PC. A lot of the problems with PC will be overcome by just having a much better GPU than what the PS5 has and right now you easily get that for $500.

What is also funny is that people say PC is harmless to PlayStation just as we see a massive shift in priority for PlayStation (all in on GaaS and safe sequels) right after Sony start porting their games to PC (something we had not seen happening in multiple decades).

edit: Another big advantage of PC, the library you build now will be available for you to play on a portable like the Steam Deck pretty much forever while Sony seem completely disinterested in having any native portable solution.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

Sony is also releasing less and less games and all their GaaS will likely be day one on PC (the bulk of their games going forward).

So you get to wait maybe 2 years to play Spider-man 2 but you also get to play a much better version.

Reactions: Puff

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Returnal, 6k peak, 150 players now.
Sackboy, 600 peak, 60 players now.
Tlou1, 36k peak, 500 now.

I can't believe they are doing everything before bloodborne.
Rift Apart is good. way better than that terrible 2016 reboot which ruined the character of the game.
anyway - I don't feel good about that. I somehow feel this will be bad for single player games. it will sell poorly and be just another excuse to make more gaas crap...
Pc pirates will pirate it and then go warring on twitter that their 2070 is not running the game like a ps5 :p

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Xbox fans have said this for 15 years. Xbox hasn't been good for 15 years.

How many franchises are making more money than ever and are the shittest they've ever been?

I'm not following you?

Forbidden west hit over 8 Million in a years time, with majority of sales being PS5 not PS4. Zero Dawn came out in 2017 where there was like 70 Million PS4's. Forbidden west released during a pandemic, with issues for people being able to buy it in a store, on top of no supply of PS5's being the biggest issue. yet still sold over 8 million?

God of war sold 11 million in like 2 months?

PS5 is on pace to outsell PS4 in its same timeframe?

I get that maybe what Sony is putting out "You" Don't like or is not to your tastes. But the vast majority of the audience do, hence higher than ever sales.

Xbox has been irrelevant because of having no first party output during xbox one era, and late 360 relied too heavily on the same franchises.

I would argue I think Sony does the same to an extent, but produces enough new content/IP to off set that.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I want good games unique to PlayStation like I always got. Bloodborne, TLoU, Uncharted, SotC, Until Dawn, Persona 5, etc, that made it pretty easy to justify investing into their ecosystem instead of just playing on PC.

Valkyrie Elysium release on PC 2 months after releasing on PlayStation (and at least here it's cheaper to buy on PC).

So you dont like currently what SOny is putting out?

Then dont buy the games you dont like? It's not like Sony is not investing in titles that will keep the lights on. persona 5 is not their game, The Last Guardian did not make a ton of money, so they dissolved Japan studio. You cant fault them for not making smart business decisions even though those decisions mean specific titles get made.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
PC get's free online, all PlayStation games, all Xbox games, PC games, emulators (including Switch games running better than on the Switch) multiple stores competing for their money, option to play their games on the go, generally cheaper games.

We are one stutter fix away from there being no competition.

You think Jimbo or Hermen are thinking about that? What is taking long is probably just Polyphony being slow to port it.
Free online on pc is move of a headache than a good thing.
I know it depends on a game but bf5 and warzone are full of cheaters. Someone ruining my game each evening.... warzone is better now but I watch that one. don't play it

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
So you dont like currently what SOny is putting out?

Then dont buy the games you dont like? It's not like Sony is not investing in titles that will keep the lights on. persona 5 is not their game, The Last Guardian did not make a ton of money, so they dissolved Japan studio. You cant fault them for not making smart business decisions even though those decisions mean specific titles get made.
What do you think I was going to do? Buy games I'm not interested in?

I'm not allowed to dislike a change in direction form a company that used to make some of my favorite games? You feel offended by it?

Free online on pc is move of a headache than a good thing.
I know it depends on a game but bf5 and warzone are full of cheaters. Someone ruining my game each evening.... warzone is better now but I watch that one. don't play it
None of that matter with crossplay, that pretty much every game has these days. I also don't play online much anymore but I enjoy multiplayer in games like Death Stranding and Souls games. I only pay PS+ because of Extra at this point.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
What do you think I was going to do? Buy games I'm not interested in?

I'm not allowed to dislike a change in direction form a company that used to make some of my favorite games? You feel offended by it?

I'm not , and I am all for you discussing the library you wish SOny would curate. i get it, I really do. I want a Legend of dragoon remake more than anything. To me all these fear mongering threads you and others make is just that. Opinion pieces fear mongering. If this fails it fails, and you have every right to talk about it.

Just saying that you are in the minority same with sites like ours. Time will tell if sales start to slip, and people stop buying games then I guess it doesnt work out?

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I'm not , and I am all for you discussing the library you wish SOny would curate. i get it, I really do. I want a Legend of dragoon remake more than anything. To me all these fear mongering threads you and others make is just that. Opinion pieces fear mongering. If this fails it fails, and you have every right to talk about it.

Just saying that you are in the minority same with sites like ours. Time will tell if sales start to slip, and people stop buying games then I guess it doesnt work out?
It's not fear mongering when Sony is the one publicly saying that they are fully committed to PC and GaaS and that in a few years more that 60% of their investments will be into GaaS/PC and that they are investing less now on traditional games than they were 4 years ago.

If Sony disapeared today I would still have plenty of great games to play but to me it's still sad that they chose to go into this direction when they were having such a great run of making quality AAA single player game.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It's not fear mongering when Sony is the one publicly saying that they are fully committed to PC and GaaS and that in a few years more that 60% of their investments will be into GaaS/PC and that they are investing less now on traditional games than they were 4 years ago.

If Sony disapeared today I would still have plenty of great games to play but to me it's still sad that they chose to go into this direction when they were having such a great run of making quality AAA single player game.

you are taking it out of context.

You should watch Grubbs take on this, he explains how the graph works, and how they are splitting things up.

He literally even talks to people like yourself who are worried:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
you are taking it out of context.

You should watch Grubbs take on this, he explains how the graph works, and how they are splitting things up.

He literally even talks to people like yourself who are worried:

There is no context to take out. They are investing less in traditional games now than they were in FY22019 and will be investing slighly more by FY25 (probably not enought to offset the inflation from FY2019 to FY2023).

Why would you not believe what Sony is saying that they are going to do? I don't need Jeff Grub to analyse anything for me.

Some people were in denial about the PC ports and GaaS pushed for years while I always said that PC ports means ever more focus on GaaS (exactly because I am a PC player as well that lost the AAA single player games made exclusively for PC that I used to get in the past that pushed me towards PlayStation). It's not the first time I'm seeing this. It happened to PC, then it happened to Xbox and it's no happening to PlayStation.