Sony will release Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart for PC in July 26

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
There is no context to take out. They are investing less in traditional games now than they were in FY22019 and will be investing slighly more by FY25 (probably not enought to offset the inflation from FY2019 to FY2023).

Why would you not believe what Sony is saying that they are going to do? I don't need Jeff Grub to analyse anything for me.

Some people were in denial about the PC ports and GaaS pushed for years while I always said that PC ports means ever more focus on GaaS (exactly because I am a PC player that lost the AAA single player games made exclusively for PC that I used to get in the past). It's not the first time I'm seeing this.

Its almost like PS3 era never happened for you?

MAG, SOCOM, STARHAWK, TWISTED METAL, GOD OF WAR:ASCENSION, KILLZONE, RISISTANCE all had focused MP. MAG cost a shit ton to make and sold like garbage, Socom was a trainwreck and ruined by PSN hack. Twisted Metal had a botched launch and didnt do well.

They are trying to be smarter in how they can balance their slate. Making nothing but just AAA big budget games will literally kill them. Nintendo Diversify's why cant Sony?

Maybe some stuff doesn't work out doesn't mean Single player games stop coming out? Games keep getting more expensive to make, take more time to build systems.

If they can get games made that bring in revenue then they can funnel that revenue back into AAA titles. Which is why PC is important.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Its almost like PS3 era never happened for you?

MAG, SOCOM, STARHAWK, TWISTED METAL, GOD OF WAR:ASCENSION, KILLZONE, RISISTANCE all had focused MP. MAG cost a shit ton to make and sold like garbage, Socom was a trainwreck and ruined by PSN hack. Twisted Metal had a botched launch and didnt do well.

They are trying to be smarter in how they can balance their slate. Making nothing but just AAA big budget games will literally kill them. Nintendo Diversify's why cant Sony?

Maybe some stuff doesn't work out doesn't mean Single player games stop coming out? Games keep getting more expensive to make, take more time to build systems.

If they can get games made that bring in revenue then they can funnel that revenue back into AAA titles. Which is why PC is important.
PS3 era is where I really got into PlayStation, I didn't even like the PS2 that much and PC was balling during that time with classics like Half-Life 2. PS Triple was prime Sony.

What happened to all these multiplayer games from the PS3 era? Sony was not satisfied with them, closed studios, moved on and never even bothered porting those games to PS4/PS5. Now they want to try again with Fortnite/Hyenas clones and I should be excited about it?

Do I look like I like Fortnite? Do I look excited about PC ports?
564.jpg

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
PS3 era is where I really got into PlayStation, I didn't even like the PS2 that much and PC was balling during that time with classics like Half-Life 2. PS Triple was prime Sony.

What happened to all these multiplayer games from the PS3 era? Sony was not satisfied with them, closed studios, moved on and never even bothered porting those games to PS4/PS5. Now they want to try again with Fortnite/Hyenas clones and I should be excited about it?

Do I look like I like Fortnite? Do I look excited about PC ports?
564.jpg

Not gonna lie, iv never laughed so hard when I saw that shit. When I saw you join and take that as avatar i laugh every time I see it. Black Face Joel lol jesus haha.

• haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Not gonna lie, iv never laughed so hard when I saw that shit. When I saw you join and take that as avatar i laugh every time I see it. Black Face Joel lol jesus haha.
At least we get some enjoyment out of PC ports after all.

Year 3 of a new gen and I don't feel like the game I want are being made.

I'm cursed to only like high quality things that are cast to the side, while all matter of trash imaginable prospers.

if-you-wanna-fix-the-bushy-eyebrows-joel-texture-bug-try-v0-2y9twptw6qqa1.jpg

• haha
Reactions: Papacheeks

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Now we find out about the SSD claims and how much of it was bullshit. Master waiters are going to pirate this day one and stutter their way to the end using HDDs.

The entire PlayStation strategy for this gen stinks and it's pretty much the hardware team and a few devs doing all the work to make the console successful.
Uh none of it was. They will just have higher RAM requirements like Returnal. There is still nothing on PC like the hardware interface between the SSD and the actual system, and that's the key part. It's not the SSD, it's the custom hardware decompression unit between the SSD and the rest of the PS5.

The fact that people still do not understand that to this day boggles my mind.

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
If people in general had the common sense to understand that, nobody would have fallen for the Velocity Architecture bullshit.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Uh none of it was. They will just have higher RAM requirements like Returnal. There is still nothing on PC like the hardware interface between the SSD and the actual system, and that's the key part. It's not the SSD, it's the custom hardware decompression unit between the SSD and the rest of the PS5.

What is the problem in just having 32GB of RAM then? Or do you mean VRAM? 8 GB of VRAM seems to do the trick in most games and ever entry level GPUs had that many years ago (my cheap ass AMD GPU has 8GB of VRAM).

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
When its all said and done. When all games get ported to pc minus one. One game that Sony can't even port to pc due to how important it is to PS.

Destruction Allstars

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Umar and Swift_Star
24 Jun 2022
It gets to a point where no matter how much you like consoles the value and extra cost of continuing on PlayStation just pushes you towards PC. A lot of the problems with PC will be overcome by just having a much better GPU than what the PS5 has and right now you easily get that for $500.

There are a lot of inherent benefits to PC, for the most part. Free online, the fact basically all 3P games (including even Japanese ones) come to the platform Day 1, the fact it can serve as a hub for modern & retro gaming, the fact you can get better graphical fidelity & settings, modding support, greater range of controller I/O support, etc.

Though the big issues with PC are needing to tinker with settings to get the game running just right on your particular setup. Not to mention, all the myriad of driver issues and hardware issues you can have particularly when building your own system. Some of that stuff is nightmare fuel and it's supposed to be an improvement today compared to pre-Plug & Play days 😂

What is also funny is that people say PC is harmless to PlayStation just as we see a massive shift in priority for PlayStation (all in on GaaS and safe sequels) right after Sony start porting their games to PC (something we had not seen happening in multiple decades).

edit: Another big advantage of PC, the library you build now will be available for you to play on a portable like the Steam Deck pretty much forever while Sony seem completely disinterested in having any native portable solution.

Steam Deck is the actual monster, not Xbox. Knowing that many PS 1P traditional games could end up on PC sooner rather than later, with greater graphical settings support not to mention portability support in the form of the Steam Deck really makes PS5 a good deal less of a valued investment. Again, as someone who doesn't have FOMO and can wait a bit to play a game.

But the funny part in all this is I'd rather actively not use PC as a platform for modern games. As time goes on though there is less and less reason to try resisting that; Microsoft basically encourage it 100%, Sony is encroaching something like 50% of the way there. Nintendo is really the only one not contributing to that push.

Just for future reference…

It clearly will flop on PC.

I think it could do decently well, but we'll just have to wait and see.

you are taking it out of context.

You should watch Grubbs take on this, he explains how the graph works, and how they are splitting things up.

He literally even talks to people like yourself who are worried:

A few things about his analysis I have to contest:

1: The investment into traditional games is relatively stagnant/flat; it's rate of growth is within a margin of error and obviously nowhere as big as the growth for GaaS titles​
2: Increases in inflation and associated costs for game development means a likelihood of less traditional games per FY, not the same amount as previous FYs​
3: There is no guarantee that Sony increases the AA game funding in future FYs to offset the stagnant growth in traditional game funding per FY​
4: Funding in game production per FY does not automatically ensure that all of that money is going towards NEW games; a portion is likely continued funding for games that were approved in, and started in, previous FYs. That makes the stagnant increase in funding (relatively speaking) for traditional games all the more perplexing.​
I haven't seen many (if any) people actually bring up these points or provide information that could refute them.

Edmund

25 Apr 2023
A friend of mine just said that he won't need to buy a PS5 anymore as he can just pirate all the playstation games on pc.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
D

Deleted member 417

I'm not following you?

Forbidden west hit over 8 Million in a years time, with majority of sales being PS5 not PS4. Zero Dawn came out in 2017 where there was like 70 Million PS4's. Forbidden west released during a pandemic, with issues for people being able to buy it in a store, on top of no supply of PS5's being the biggest issue. yet still sold over 8 million?

God of war sold 11 million in like 2 months?

PS5 is on pace to outsell PS4 in its same timeframe?
All single-player games. Single player has never been more popular, and for good reason. Sony sticking to their traditional single-player experiences has done Sony well. Reducing resources and focus on that traditional idea that has worked for over three decades isn't going to work long term, the proof is in the pudding for Xbox and 3rd parties who milk multiplayer franchises rather than innovating.

I get that maybe what Sony is putting out "You" Don't like or is not to your tastes. But the vast majority of the audience do, hence higher than ever sales.

The vast majority of the audience are fickle clout chasers. The vast majority of the audience want fortnite, cod, fifa and battlefield. COD used to be the biggest multiplayer game in the console space, then those players moved to BF, then to Fortnite. COD died and is life support saved by Free to Play, even though the vast majority used to love COD above all else.

Betting on the vast majority has never been a good idea because by the time the vast majority pick an idea, it's too late to jump on the bandwagon
Xbox has been irrelevant because of having no first party output during xbox one era, and late 360 relied too heavily on the same franchises.

I would argue I think Sony does the same to an extent, but produces enough new content/IP to off set that.
Xbox produced a lot of content, they were knocking games out during the 360 era, then one change in direction and that was it for Microsoft.

Sony could be making that same mistake now. They might not be, but all evidence points to clout chasing being a very, very bad idea.

FWIW this has nothing to do with personal tastes. I've had this same discussion since 2000s (PC, Sony being arrogant vs Microsoft and Microsoft clout chasing). Each time the writing was on the wall and easy to see.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
D

Deleted member 417

If you're a multi-console buyer, there's little to no point in buying consoles.

£550 xbox + £500 PS5 = £1050 for hardware
£70 games at 5 a year = £350 a year
£10 (gamepass) + £10 (PSN)/month = £240 a year

If a gen lasts 5 years you're looking at £1750 in games and £1200 in subs, plus your hardware of £1050 = £4000.

Buy a £2000 PC rig, get games much cheaper, or free if you're sailing the seven seas, mods, better game support from the community, emulation and now console games. Plus it's a PC with all the extra multi-media bits that come with it.