Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

24 Jun 2022
It is very strange to see them on the SIE blog instead of in the PS blog. Maybe in SIE wanted to share a success story of one of the many indie teams they support via PlayStation Indies. Or maybe it's a hint of an upcoming 2nd party game deal or even an acquisition. But in any case seems they are very happy with each other.

Yep, also as @Bo_Hazem said they could also do some animations through Sony's animation studios/channels, including stuff like CG anime series that could go on Crunchyroll/Funimation. It'd make sense since that's how Ember Lab started out.

Yep i think Dragon Quest is the biggest franchise outside of Pokemon and Zelda In Japan. Then its Animal crossing then Final Fantasy. Square would be great. I think lol, can’t find the link I read it on before

I remember reading back when DQ VII came out that in Japan they actually had a soft-holiday for its release and businessmen/businesswomen were able to take off work just to play the game on release. Also IIRC, it sold something like 4 million copies there on Day 1, which is insane. We wouldn't start seeing that type of stuff until GTA5 and later COD games decades later.

Believe it was an article in an EGM issue where I read it; don't know how true it is but if it was true then at least at one point, Dragon Quest was a much bigger deal in Japan than Final Fantasy, that's for sure.

UC or no UC, it seems unfathomable Sony weren't interested in TR. From a gaming nostalgia, pr recoup after "losing" Crash/Spyro, usage of TR in media, and if the conventional opinion is SE should be a lock-in any month now anyway standpoint. SE wouldn't have sold those properties to Sony a few months earlier than a would-be acquisition? Sony wouldnt have invested in SE to finance their dabble into NFT's and gain their IP's for PS, SE being a comapny they saved from bankruptcy before by buying and selling back shares? (cant remember proper details off-hand).

Dunno, Tomb Raider definitely has some strong legacy, but it's tied to the first three or so games, so outside of a remake of those what else could it offer? Also the original TR games were built on the grid-based system; I think remaking them would be more difficult than say the RE1/2/3 remakes because TR 1-3 were explicitly built around the grid system, how would you translate that to a non grid-based third-person 3D world of today? How would you translate the iconic levels of the original games into that type of modern space and still be faithful to the old designs while modernizing them?

But there's also the opinion that maybe TR was just seen as too redundant for Sony? They have Uncharted, they have strong male and female characters in that IP already. If they want a Tomb Raider-style take they can just do more of what they did with Lost Legacy, or focus on Drake's daughter. Add in some inspired takes of certain game mechanics from the recent Tomb Raider games and you essentially have your Tomb-Raider all in-house and without needing to buy another IP to do it.

If anything I was more surprised Microsoft didn't buy Crystal Dynamics or even the Tomb Raider IP, since that's something so many insiders were gossiping (or "hyping") up for half a year if not longer. They may technically have Indiana Jones but that's under license and AFAIK only for a single game that's probably tied to the upcoming film in some way. They'll never have full creative control over that as long as Disney & LucasArts still own the IP, so that'll limit what things MS/Machinegun Games can do with any IJ games until they prove a big success or two with the IP under current terms. That could be upwards a decade!

Sony wouldn't of had that type of complication with Tomb Raider, but if they want to focus on more thematic variety and not have something that might fly too close to Uncharted , I can kind of understand. As long as Uncharted itself is pushing forward, keeping to very high standards and innovating here and there with new releases.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Yep, also as @Bo_Hazem said they could also do some animations through Sony's animation studios/channels, including stuff like CG anime series that could go on Crunchyroll/Funimation. It'd make sense since that's how Ember Lab started out.

I remember reading back when DQ VII came out that in Japan they actually had a soft-holiday for its release and businessmen/businesswomen were able to take off work just to play the game on release. Also IIRC, it sold something like 4 million copies there on Day 1, which is insane. We wouldn't start seeing that type of stuff until GTA5 and later COD games decades later.

Believe it was an article in an EGM issue where I read it; don't know how true it is but if it was true then at least at one point, Dragon Quest was a much bigger deal in Japan than Final Fantasy, that's for sure.

Dunno, Tomb Raider definitely has some strong legacy, but it's tied to the first three or so games, so outside of a remake of those what else could it offer? Also the original TR games were built on the grid-based system; I think remaking them would be more difficult than say the RE1/2/3 remakes because TR 1-3 were explicitly built around the grid system, how would you translate that to a non grid-based third-person 3D world of today? How would you translate the iconic levels of the original games into that type of modern space and still be faithful to the old designs while modernizing them?

But there's also the opinion that maybe TR was just seen as too redundant for Sony? They have Uncharted, they have strong male and female characters in that IP already. If they want a Tomb Raider-style take they can just do more of what they did with Lost Legacy, or focus on Drake's daughter. Add in some inspired takes of certain game mechanics from the recent Tomb Raider games and you essentially have your Tomb-Raider all in-house and without needing to buy another IP to do it.

If anything I was more surprised Microsoft didn't buy Crystal Dynamics or even the Tomb Raider IP, since that's something so many insiders were gossiping (or "hyping") up for half a year if not longer. They may technically have Indiana Jones but that's under license and AFAIK only for a single game that's probably tied to the upcoming film in some way. They'll never have full creative control over that as long as Disney & LucasArts still own the IP, so that'll limit what things MS/Machinegun Games can do with any IJ games until they prove a big success or two with the IP under current terms. That could be upwards a decade!

Sony wouldn't of had that type of complication with Tomb Raider, but if they want to focus on more thematic variety and not have something that might fly too close to Uncharted , I can kind of understand. As long as Uncharted itself is pushing forward, keeping to very high standards and innovating here and there with new releases.

Yeah, Crystal Dynamics was heavily rumoured to be in the sights of MSFT, especially on XboxEra and other places like that.

I always saw the Xbox version of Perfect Dark as being just Tomb Raider under another name with maybe a few more gadgets... I got that from the trailer, even though it didn't show much and that was before CD were brought in to help.

There seems to be a very deep desire in Xbox to create their own Uncharted / ND type game. To have a breakthrough hit like UC was....

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman

36-CC1-BBD-D409-4-A4-F-ACAF-87-D600585-DA1.jpg

Nbc Live Shows GIF by America's Got Talent

I've never loved an indie developer this much before. The music, the animation, the simple yet charming story, everything was just perfect. It should evolve into anime and those little ones should have some unique characteristics that she seeks from around the world. It can be the new hit just like Pokemon.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
That Crystal Dynamics rumor was made up by the Xbox community as usually. It's the same with SEGA where they keep saying that MS will buy them for almost 20 years (since the first Xbox). It's nothing rather than made up rumors from fanboys. I only believe it when an Industry Insider (e.g. Jason Schreier, Jeff Grubb) talks about it or at least gives hints to it.

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
Arrowhead

- has been de facto 1st party since 2014 (Helldivers)
- would give Sony their first studio in Sweden (Stockholm, good talent pool)
- can make fun co-op multiplayer games, PS+PC
- is now making their first AAA game, like Housemarque did
- less than 100 people and no IP, so it won’t cost that much

ARCANE

21 Jun 2022
Nbc Live Shows GIF by America's Got Talent's Got Talent

I've never loved an indie developer this much before. The music, the animation, the simple yet charming story, everything was just perfect. It should evolve into anime and those little ones should have some unique characteristics that she seeks from around the world. It can be the new hit just like Pokemon.
I'm the same, the moment the game was shown at the PlayStation Future of Gaming Showcase when announcing PS5 and titles I was captivated by the game and have been one of their biggest champions on Gaf and our discord.

The music is truly amazing and use multiple songs as my ringtone/wake up alarm songs. Each song hits like
i-love-this-song-michael-jackson.gif

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
I'm the same, the moment the game was shown at the PlayStation Future of Gaming Showcase when announcing PS5 and titles I was captivated by the game and have been one of their biggest champions on Gaf and our discord.

The music is truly amazing and use multiple songs as my ringtone/wake up alarm songs. Each song hits like
i-love-this-song-michael-jackson.gif

I should point out as well that it has been downgraded since day one reveal, but still retains extremely great graphics. Mostly noted in the fur of the little ones. It's always the fur... @VFX_Veteran

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Arrowhead

- has been de facto 1st party since 2014 (Helldivers)
- would give Sony their first studio in Sweden (Stockholm, good talent pool)
- can make fun co-op multiplayer games, PS+PC
- is now making their first AAA game, like Housemarque did
- less than 100 people and no IP, so it won’t cost that much
-Helldivers got good reviews (81 MC in PS4, 83 MC in PC)
-According to PlayTracker and Steamdb reviews estimation Helldivers sold between a million and two million copies in Steam
-They also released a good chunk of dlc so pretty likely did a good chunk of money with dlc too
-Before the Sony published Helldivers they did as indies Magicka and Magicka 2, which also sold very well in PC
-A more AAA game and with a higher focus in GaaS would with stuff learnt from Bungie make Arrowhead make way more money
-Sony only has Bungie for coop MP but they will be in other consoles, so would be a good fit to have Arrowhead as coop MP console exclusive team inside PS Studios

I think they have potential to be like Housemarque: Sony publishes their first AAA and if they see reviews and launch sales are good enough they could buy them.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
-Helldivers got good reviews (81 MC in PS4, 83 MC in PC)
-According to PlayTracker and Steamdb reviews estimation Helldivers sold between a million and two million copies in Steam
-They also released a good chunk of dlc so pretty likely did a good chunk of money with dlc too
-Before the Sony published Helldivers they did as indies Magicka and Magicka 2, which also sold very well in PC
-A more AAA game and with a higher focus in GaaS would with stuff learnt from Bungie make Arrowhead make way more money
-Sony only has Bungie for coop MP but they will be in other consoles, so would be a good fit to have Arrowhead as coop MP console exclusive team inside PS Studios

I think they have potential to be like Housemarque: Sony publishes their first AAA and if they see reviews and launch sales are good enough they could buy them.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't Helldivers like... dead, simillar to Kill Strain?

For all their talk of gaas future, Sony's track record for support is attrocious. They don't even bring UC/TLOU MP forward properly alongside remaster collections.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't Helldivers like... dead, simillar to Kill Strain?

For all their talk of gaas future, Sony's track record for support is attrocious. They don't even bring UC/TLOU MP forward properly alongside remaster collections.

Yeah, for me TLOU Factions will be the litmus test to see if Sony are up to the GAAS aspirations.

I personally think they are going up against the most competitive part of the industry for no reason and as always far away hills are greener...
They are not thinking of their audience mostly being into single player story games and the fact that they nearly have a lockdown on that type of game on the highest end.