Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

For those interested, check out the publishers owned by Take-two and what games they make. They would fit MS's portfolio pretty well; RPG's, FPS and mobile games.
What RPG and FPS are you talking about?

Looking at this if Sony gets the marketing deal for GTA they are set for the next 10 years as far as T2 goes.

They'll be getting the basketball games anyway and other than that and Rockstar games I don't see anything that's big in the console space. Sony should try to buy only Rockstar if they still believe in the studio after some key people left, unlikelly to be viable and very risky.

- CDPR to counter Bethesda.
- Respawn/Battlefield to counter Activision.
- Blizzard and King don't require any direct answer for now.
- Other than that they should get stakes in SE/Capcom, go after From Software and get hold of Konami IPs like MGS and Castelvania and start developing those games. Sony clearly needs at least another big internal studio in Japan.

Last edited:

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

Looking at this if Sony gets the marketing deal for GTA they are set for the next 10 years as far as T2 goes.

They'll be getting the basketball games anyway and other than that and Rockstar games I don't see anything that's big in the console space. Sony should try to buy only Rockstar if they still believe in the studio after some key people left, unlikelly to be viable and very risky.

- Other than that they should get stakes in SE/Capcom, go after From Software and get hold of Konami IPs like MGS and Castelvania and start developing those games. Sony clearly needs at least another big internal studio in Japan.

Agree about Take 2.

Personally for the price nothing comes close to Capcom in terms of IPs.

Unbelievable how many IPs they own.

Followed by Square Enix and Konami.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Yeah and nothings changed for Zelnick. He's a buyer, not seller.

He admits they technically have to consider offers since they're publicly traded, but its not anything he's interested in.

“We’re a public company, and we’re here for the shareholders,” Zelnick told IGN. “That said, our track record of creating value as an independent enterprise is pretty terrific, especially if you exclude the last three months. We think there’s plenty of great times ahead, and we like being an independent organization. But we’re here for the shareholders.”

Take Two has had a terrible year, financially, even though I think they have some big hits coming soon, with GTA VI obviously leading the pack. That said, I don't think they are looking to be brought.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Then they should merge with Nintendo if that is a possibility. Win/win for Japan as well as most console players. MS is the one bringing US first and anti-Japanese rhetoric into it, there is hardly any overlap between Nintendo and Sony games/hardware rigth now. This is what consolidation leads to.

The market rejected Xbox and chose PlayStation and Nintendo countless times at this point. Having money is the only thing the Xbox division ever had going on in the last 10/15 years.
Lol, the Japanese regulators wouldn't let Nintendo merge with pre-Namco Bandai 20 years ago. You think they'd let them merge with Sony now? Not to mention it wouldn't pass muster anywhere else. either, since the two are two of only three large marketshare home console makers world-wide.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Lol, the Japanese regulators wouldn't let Nintendo merge with pre-Namco Bandai 20 years ago. You think they'd let them merge with Sony now? Not to mention it wouldn't pass muster anywhere else. either, since the two are two of only three large marketshare home console makers world-wide.
So back to my original point where I said that Nintendo wasn't an option....

You missed the "then" in the beggining, I was going with the premise set by another post.

D

Deleted member 417

Bioshock, RDR, not to mention Zynga mobile games and 2k for the American sports games. Microsoft will buy T2 before Sony does

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I hate what Microsoft has done to the industry. They really are an *American* company.
From everybody focusing on games to endless talk about more acquisitions, coordinated PR attacks/spins, Sony being framed as anti-consumer and threats to remove huge IPs from the most popular console. All because MS has too much money to just let go of a product that has been pretty much universally rejected for 10 years at the very least.

If Sony gets taken out it's all on Valve to save us from the nightmarish future where MS controls the market, Nintendo won't even see it coming.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Valve? Pfft. Gabe will sell back to MS one day and retire to a beech.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I really hope this arbitrary 98 percent high end market share in japan doesn’t paralyze why Sony can do there. I think if they make any acquisitions they need to be extremely conciliatory and say the third party will act independently. If they do make a move for square, Maybe even off to bring say ff14 to Xbox and offer 10 year contracts or whatever. Point out if can’t be foreclosure against Microsoft even if they wanted to because most of the big games were not going g to Xbox anyways, but they potentially can under Sony management or something.

It’s better to play the long game and make some concessions to protect certain ip than potentially lose it forever. I feel like Sony dragging their feet have kind of left them between a rock and a hard place.

Last edited:
  • sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I really hope this arbitrary 98 percent high end market share in japan doesn’t paralyze why Sony can do there. I think if they make any acquisitions they need to be extremely conciliatory and say the third party will act independently. If they do make a move for square, Maybe even off to bring say ff14 to Xbox and offer 10 year contracts or whatever. Point out if can’t be foreclosure against Microsoft even if they wanted to because most of the big games were not going g to Xbox anyways, but they potentially can under Sony management or something.

It’s better to play the long game and make some concessions to protect certain ip than potentially lose it forever. I feel like Sony dragging their feet have kind of left them between a rock and a hard place.
Bud think this through again: Do you really think the USA would risk to loosen their relationship with Japan, because Microsoft’s console doesn’t sell there???

I ask you: Is Japan annexed to USA? No they are not. Japan is not the dog of North America. The USA can’t investigate or decide shit in Japan. The JFTC is responsible for all this things in Japanese economy. Believe when I say that the JFTC would always side with Japanese companies. Microsoft has zero influence in Japan. Did you know that a lot of Japanese using Custom Linux OSs/Ubuntu and MacOS?

When Sony is prepared to announce an acquisition of Japanese gaming company, they will do it. No matter which dirty political narratives Microsoft tries to push. This lobbying senator is a small fish, it’s not the US president lol. Relax guys.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Bud think this through again: Do you really think the USA would risk to loosen their relationship with Japan, because Microsoft’s console doesn’t sell there???

I ask you: Is Japan annexed to USA? No they are not. Japan is not the dog of North America. The USA can’t investigate or decide shit in Japan. The JFTC is responsible for all this things in Japanese economy. Believe when I say that the JFTC would always side with Japanese companies. Microsoft has zero influence in Japan. Did you know that a lot of Japanese using Custom Linux OSs/Ubuntu and MacOS?

When Sony is prepared to announce an acquisition of Japanese gaming company, they will do it. No matter which dirty political narratives Microsoft tries to push. This lobbying senator is a small fish, it’s not the US president lol. Relax guys.
I think in this unpredictable political and war environment nothing is off the table. Look at ms using Ukraine companies as an example of why the activision deal should go through. I think in a sane world it would be laughed at but the US treats it Allie’s like crap all the time.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I think in this unpredictable political and war environment nothing is off the table. Look at ms using Ukraine companies as an example of why the activision deal should go through. I think in a sane world it would be laughed at but the US treats it Allie’s like crap all the time.
Yeah but it’s America which would lose much more here. They are importing a lot of goods from Japan and they also used twice nuclear weapons against Japan. I really don’t think this would restrain Sony from announcing an acquisition from Japan. We still need to keep in mind that this deal is not cleared. CMA didn’t say they would or else they would have told their decision. It’s still possible that they will need to sign concessions, like Call of Duty needs to stay independent. I am confident that Sony will reveal a big deal from Japan after ABK is completed to 100%.?

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023

"Sony acquires square enix?"

Xbots: Nooo! Sony are in a good place even without a acquisition

Xbots are the biggest hypocrite. It's like their whole life is to become a hypocrite

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
The new xbot narrative is Sony can’t respond because they have too much market share. These people truly are disgusting. With that said wouldn’t adding abk to Xbox’s already 15 billion a year revenue make them almost even? Does Microsoft not have a monopoly on fps shooters in the west now, what’s left, destiny 2 and far cry? Doesn’t ms have a tremendous advantage in cloud now ? Can Sony not make 10 year deals? It’s obvious these guys aren’t even fans of Xbox, but are obsessed with Sony losing.

Software sales are basically dead on Xbox and yet these guys think developers shouldn’t even have a choice of where they put their games or how they’re made. It’s all about Xbox getting a win and Sony, gamers, the market, everything else be damned.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
The new xbot narrative is Sony can’t respond because they have too much market share. These people truly are disgusting. With that said wouldn’t adding abk to Xbox’s already 15 billion a year revenue make them almost even? Does Microsoft not have a monopoly on fps shooters in the west now, what’s left, destiny 2 and far cry? Doesn’t ms have a tremendous advantage in cloud now ? Can Sony not make 10 year deals? It’s obvious these guys aren’t even fans of Xbox, but are obsessed with Sony losing.

Software sales are basically dead on Xbox and yet these guys think developers shouldn’t even have a choice of where they put their games or how they’re made. It’s all about Xbox getting a win and Sony, gamers, the market, everything else be damned.
Like I said no different than this toxic Xbox clout chaser on Twitter. They want to see Sony being hurt. They don’t care about games but the American made product to get a win. They are patriotic scumbags, nothing less.

On the day Sony announces the acquisition of Square Enix, I will make the effort to create an account on Reset to troll this losers.

Reactions: Puff

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

"Sony acquires square enix?"

Xbots: Nooo! Sony are in a good place even without a acquisition

Xbots are the biggest hypocrite. It's like their whole life is to become a hypocrite
They don't want Sony to acquire anyone because they are fine and their IPs strong. Market leader yada yada.

They want MS to get everything. Transparent as fuck.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Like I said no different than this toxic Xbox clout chaser on Twitter. They want to see Sony being hurt. They don’t care about games but the American made product to get a win. They are patriotic scumbags, nothing less.

On the day Sony announces the acquisition of Square Enix, I will make the effort to create an account on Reset to troll this losers.
This isnt**American patriotism, it’s corporate slavery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Guys it’s 1000% coming. The approval of Activision Blizzard turned things to worse for Sony. They will buy Square Enix. Sony will need to find other ways to compete. Square Enix would be a good start to set a foundation.

What’s also completely strange, how in the world is Square Enix’s share price so high???

0BD97BB6-E48B-40B5-87B8-5D3EF1AF49F3.png
It’s higher than even’s Capcom. Nintendo too!
8EFA418F-4681-464E-8F02-66DCC217372E.png
D564A995-33B6-46A7-AA1B-FC59C73A06A8.png

This is really suspicious. Capcom are performing by far better than Square Enix for years. Nintendo especially is very successful. So how is it possible?Eidos founder talking about Sony’s interest in Square Enix. Then Square Enix sells their western assets to outline themselves for Sony. No denial of this rumour for 2 years by Square Enix. Moving in an expensive district of Tokyo and coincidentally very close to Sony HQ in Minato…
Square Enix long member (Shinji) executive hired for a high position to Sony.
This high share price of Square Enix could be a hint for an upcoming buyout. If I would bet money who Sony is buying then it’s Square Enix.
Then we have seen many times Square Enix execs like Nomura, Yoshi-P advertising Sony products: TVs, Playstation, Smartphones etc.
And now Yoshida praising Sony in public…

Source for screenshots is: Companiesmarketcap.com