Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Is cyberpunk their own ip? I know witcher was bought in some form for games. I think those medium sized buys should be their priority. Cdpr, kadokawa, maybe capcom or square. Heck even ubisoft then cut all that fat. Keep ips and some studios. I doubt they d risk and spend 20B on one publisher. Heck they could get everything i mentioned for 20. When u have that many strong ips, studios, along with bungie, nd, ssm, insomniac...u dont have to worry about one or two big ips u lost.

Im certain some of the new shooter ll be big (devotion, haven, factions...)

CP2077 isn't their own either, it's based on books.... seems to be how they operate.

But their ability to spot great books, create a game and build hype around the game and IP in general seems to be a really strong asset for them, so maybe Sony would value that and getting in on the ground floor with the next project.

I 100% agree about medium sized developer / publishers..... and particularly ones that represent unparalleled knowledge of a niche or genre that has very few studios dedicated to but potentially high demand.

As you pointed out.... Kadokawa, CDPR, Capcom, Square and add Larian, Remedy and possibly Arc System Works.

I think each of those represents an area that PlayStation needs to expand into and also their IP's are primed to become cross-media experiences.

I'd also love more focus to be put on the Gran Turismo series, with a team working on a touring / open-world style version.... but that could be grown from Polyphony.

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
Open world GT s amazing idea honestly. Also i remember Tourist Trophy being one of the best experience/driving/motorbikes i ever had. I ll never forget that game. Maybe they could add thar in future.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Open world GT s amazing idea honestly. Also i remember Tourist Trophy being one of the best experience/driving/motorbikes i ever had. I ll never forget that game. Maybe they could add thar in future.

I think PSVR2 could add a lot to it... imagine driving in the Alps and stopping to get out and take pictures of a view in VR.

I suppose it would be like virtual tourism in a way.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
CP2077 isn't their own either, it's based on books.... seems to be how they operate.

But their ability to spot great books, create a game and build hype around the game and IP in general seems to be a really strong asset for them, so maybe Sony would value that and getting in on the ground floor with the next project.

I 100% agree about medium sized developer / publishers..... and particularly ones that represent unparalleled knowledge of a niche or genre that has very few studios dedicated to but potentially high demand.

As you pointed out.... Kadokawa, CDPR, Capcom, Square and add Larian, Remedy and possibly Arc System Works.

I think each of those represents an area that PlayStation needs to expand into and also their IP's are primed to become cross-media experiences.

I'd also love more focus to be put on the Gran Turismo series, with a team working on a touring / open-world style version.... but that could be grown from Polyphony.
Wait, what? I'm certain that they own the IP fully. Why would rhey get themselves in another Witcher situation after all the bs with the original author.

Edit: Nope, based on a tabletop RPG I never played or heard of. Why on earth did they do that? The fools.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
The more I look at it the more I think a Square-Enix deal just makes sense. Offloading the western studios, ditching Luminous, the fact that SME and Aniplex could absorb the non-vg stuff. All thats left is them selling off or spinning off Taito... If that happens then its pretty much confirmed.

stebin alex

25 Oct 2022

I would love an Open World Racer from PS Studio Polyphony Digital, in the ilk of Forza Horizon, man even Forza Horizon on PSVR 2 will be amazing graphically.
Yes, CDPR is one of the leading devs in the RPG open world type games with Bethesda and Rockstar, so picking them up would be smart business.
They picked up Bungie as its leader in Gaas type games, and Sony wants to utilize their knowledge in that space to get better.

• thisistheway

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Wait, what? I'm certain that they own the IP fully. Why would rhey get themselves in another Witcher situation after all the bs with the original author.

Edit: Nope, based on a tabletop RPG I never played or heard of. Why on earth did they do that? The fools.
Yes, Cyberpunk is an IP from a classic & popular pen & paper RPG owned by another company, like Dungeons & Dragons. As happens with The Witcher, CD Projekt doesn't own the IP and only got the license to use it.

Motorstorm could have been Sony's Forza Horizon if you're into that sort of game. They would have to rebuild what they lost with Evolution Studios though.
Well, in fact Forza Horizon was their response to Motorstorm in the same way Forza Motorsport was their response to Gran Turismo.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I was thinking capcom, but question is will capcom even want to sell? They are doing pretty well by themselves and doing well on the switch.

Square got some decent IPs but not many of them are huge other than final fantasy.

But they get one of the biggest mmo in the buisness, they get the talent behind it and that could be a a massive long term revenue generator. I mean that's what Sony want right now right?

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
So what do you expect Sony to do, now there it seems that Activision Blizzard will likely be approved?

@BloodMod Can you make this thread a sticky one?Thx in advance.^^
They could try to build a shooter themselves, or push advertising behind the EA shooters. But, given that they already have regular releases with no schedule gaps, they could also just do nothing.

There's still going to be ten years of CoD on Playstation, at least, so its not like anything changes overnight or even within the PS5's lifespan.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
EMBER LAB
SLOCLAP S.A.S
Supergiant Games
BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT
Capcom
Sega LTD
Square Enix
Given that Japanese courts shot down a Nintendo/Bandai tie-up twenty years ago, I highly doubt they let Sony get them either.

P

peter42O

Still hoping for Sony acquires Square Enix, Ember Lab and Deviation Games.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
EMBER LAB
SLOCLAP S.A.S
Supergiant Games
BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT
Capcom
Sega LTD
Square Enix
hmmm 🤔
This sounds mean but Sony doesn’t meed to buy Japanese studios, they flock to PlayStation anyway.

Sony’s plan is to go around to world see what the small and new studios are doing and making deals. If their relationship is good sony will be buying them, then slowly and sustainable growing them. I know it’s not as exciting as to buy big publishers but from a business and creative point of view it’s a solid plan.