Spider-Man 2 Announced for PC

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Games are unbelievably expensive to develop but they don't care about real world realities.

They're convinced that, hey just keep doing what you're doing with higher risk and ceilings on sales and you'll GROW...

It's wild and childish.

PC is an avenue to get significantly more exposure to an almost entirely different userbase for small money. It's a complete no-brainer.

The funny thing is they'll complain about it, but they'll still buy PlayStation because they're fanboys.

I agree completely.

It's all about growing the IP as opposed to the plastic box that has an expiration date. These companies want more people to play their games and they know that trying to get people to go to them is extremely difficult to do so they decided to go to the people instead which makes sense because the more people that have access to your games and content in the way that they want to consume it is how you'll grow the IP while at the same time get more sales and more monthly active users.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Remaster the older games that people actually want to replay on console.
Do not restrict yourself to a handful of blockbusters, also fund and release AA games to add variety to the library.

Keep your platform alive and well, and third parties will flock to it. See: PS2, late PS3 and most of the PS4 generation.

Let it wither... well, I guess they'll only learn when it's too late. The decline has already started.

They've been resorting to rampant sales promos across Europe for more or less the whole year to keep numbers from dropping any further than they have. That's not the best sign of a healthy platform.

Yet we will still have people saying that what's happened in Japan is an anomaly and can't happen in other markets 🙄. NOTHING is "too big to fail", not when we're talking about singular platforms or businesses.

So when will we see the drop in MAU... you're unwilling to say because it's a massive hole in your theory and worldview.

Who cares about MAU? I'm talking sales here. You know, the real metric businesses go by?

If people had jumped from PS4 or even PS5 to PC, you would see a drop in total MAU as a result.

Go look at the console market share in Japan vs. PC; the latter's grown to within 5% of console in just four years, while Nintendo is practically carrying console in Japan. So where did the PS owners there go if not to Xbox? C'mon, the answer is PC.

Also MAU doesn't require every person have their own PS5; multiple users can have distinct profiles on a single system. I'm sure each profile (or at least every registered PSN account) counts as a MAU.

You should stop and think about why this is such a massive hole in your prediction and why marginal PC sales would represent significantly larger losses in console sales and why there is zero evidence of that so far.

Are we talking about PS6? The answer is obvious: less of the hardcore/core enthusiasts would buy one Day 1 or in the launch period, which has a knock-on effect upon casual and mainstream customers. Also, the pricing trends this gen will have their own impact on later-market adoption rates (generally negative).

The inverse to that happening is, SIE's PC sales will probably go up overall, but that's only because some portion of hardcore/core enthusiasts and would-be console owners are just going to buy the games there, instead of getting a PlayStation to play them. The flipside, being that those people won't give a damn to buy their 3P games on a PlayStation, or sub to PS+.

They probably won't even buy many if any PS 1P peripherals. So in terms of revenue it'll be a hit on PlayStation's financials, unless SIE see big growth through other areas to offset those losses.

What is your prediction by the end of 2025?

DS2 will probably be a Day 1 Steam release.

PS5 Pro sales will pace behind PS4 Pro by a considerable margin LTD, after a decent/impressive launch period.

GTA6 won't be the savior of PS5 hardware sales SIE or industry pundits keep hyping it to be. But it'll help prevent any severe drop-off in adoption rates for at least 1-2 years (or until the PC version releases & new GTA Online + NoPixel (GTA Online mod) are out).

You've convinced yourself that 10s of millions of people want to play on PC rather than console with no evidence. Simply by the mere availability of these games on PC. Games like Madden and CoD have been on PC for decades and yet they're still more popular on console, but it was the Sony first party games (you know the onces that barely existed on the PS1 through most of the PS3 that kept PlayStation selling)...

My guy we're seeing sales splits growing for PC and shrinking for console with multiple games this gen. Now granted a lot of that is coming at the expense of Xbox, but that doesn't mean PlayStation won't feel it, too. They already certainly are in markets like Japan.

You're not good at this because you're not a critical thinker. You come to conclusions and work backwards from there. I'm beating a dead horse, but this is how you made your absolutely nonsensical PSVR2 PC streaming conclusions despite that not making any sense. You would think that would give you a pause in how you speculate on things but you just double down.

Jeez man it has been like a year since the PSVR2 stuff you need to let it go already. PC VR game streaming to PS5-PSVR2 owners isn't a far-fetched idea, it just required SIE care about prioritizing QOL options for their console owners again instead of seeing them as trail run beta testers and paypigs to guilt-milk before rushing to PC.

Some of you might let it fly when these companies say their console players are the core of their ecosystem but I don't. They have to actually show & prove it through action, and SIE are doing a worst & worst job at that with time. It's why things like this are even being discussed to begin with, when these weren't issues last gen.

Then some of you want to pretend there's no similarities between the path PlayStation is going on vs. what path Xbox has taken, just to act like there's no trouble in paradise. I'm not gonna do that though; I've got too much appreciation for PlayStation as a console brand going back to PS1 to just look at what they're doing today and go "yep. This is the pinnacle of what can be done with PlayStation as a console & a brand.".

It's not. And that's the actually frustrating part: the missed potential & the legion of people who for whatever reason just enable this more languid SIE.

R4tion4l Sk3pt1c

31 Aug 2024
They've been resorting to rampant sales promos across Europe for more or less the whole year to keep numbers from dropping any further than they have. That's not the best sign of a healthy platform.

Yet we will still have people saying that what's happened in Japan is an anomaly and can't happen in other markets 🙄. NOTHING is "too big to fail", not when we're talking about singular platforms or businesses.

Who cares about MAU? I'm talking sales here. You know, the real metric businesses go by?

Go look at the console market share in Japan vs. PC; the latter's grown to within 5% of console in just four years, while Nintendo is practically carrying console in Japan. So where did the PS owners there go if not to Xbox? C'mon, the answer is PC.

Also MAU doesn't require every person have their own PS5; multiple users can have distinct profiles on a single system. I'm sure each profile (or at least every registered PSN account) counts as a MAU.

Are we talking about PS6? The answer is obvious: less of the hardcore/core enthusiasts would buy one Day 1 or in the launch period, which has a knock-on effect upon casual and mainstream customers. Also, the pricing trends this gen will have their own impact on later-market adoption rates (generally negative).

The inverse to that happening is, SIE's PC sales will probably go up overall, but that's only because some portion of hardcore/core enthusiasts and would-be console owners are just going to buy the games there, instead of getting a PlayStation to play them. The flipside, being that those people won't give a damn to buy their 3P games on a PlayStation, or sub to PS+.

They probably won't even buy many if any PS 1P peripherals. So in terms of revenue it'll be a hit on PlayStation's financials, unless SIE see big growth through other areas to offset those losses.

PS5 Pro sales will pace behind PS4 Pro by a considerable margin LTD, after a decent/impressive launch period.

GTA6 won't be the savior of PS5 hardware sales SIE or industry pundits keep hyping it to be. But it'll help prevent any severe drop-off in adoption rates for at least 1-2 years (or until the PC version releases & new GTA Online + NoPixel (GTA Online mod) are out).

My guy we're seeing sales splits growing for PC and shrinking for console with multiple games this gen. Now granted a lot of that is coming at the expense of Xbox, but that doesn't mean PlayStation won't feel it, too. They already certainly are in markets like Japan.

Jeez man it has been like a year since the PSVR2 stuff you need to let it go already. PC VR game streaming to PS5-PSVR2 owners isn't a far-fetched idea, it just required SIE care about prioritizing QOL options for their console owners again instead of seeing them as trail run beta testers and paypigs to guilt-milk before rushing to PC.

Some of you might let it fly when these companies say their console players are the core of their ecosystem but I don't. They have to actually show & prove it through action, and SIE are doing a worst & worst job at that with time. It's why things like this are even being discussed to begin with, when these weren't issues last gen.

Then some of you want to pretend there's no similarities between the path PlayStation is going on vs. what path Xbox has taken, just to act like there's no trouble in paradise. I'm not gonna do that though; I've got too much appreciation for PlayStation as a console brand going back to PS1 to just look at what they're doing today and go "yep. This is the pinnacle of what can be done with PlayStation as a console & a brand.".

It's not. And that's the actually frustrating part: the missed potential & the legion of people who for whatever reason just enable this more languid SIE.
Dude consoles are slowly going they way of the VCR you’re acting like the Blockbuster employees back in 2009-2010 saying Netflix would never take over. Time to see the writing on the wall

• haha
Reactions: arvfab

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
LOL the revisionist history even includes Jim Ryan in the Golden Age now... that was fast.

Ken Kutaragi is the one who priced the PS3 at 500 and 600 dollars.

The entire PS1-PS2 era sony barely had 1st party development. The PS3 was an actual failure.

You're all fanboys who are angry about PC ports that have no impact on you. Your whole gaming identity is about console and platform wars... It's honestly sad.
Nah seriously man…. I seriously wonder who here actually plays games.

Reactions: mibu no ookami

Evilms

Graph Master
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Not quite.

Ken Kutaragi almost killed the brand with the Cell architecture

Shawn Layden is the one who started the PC push

Jimbo started the Gaas crap

Kodera started the censorship policies for japanese games.
What almost killed the brand was Sony's arrogance at the time, they underestimated Microsoft with their 360, otherwise the Cell, despite its complexity, remains a very good processor that has been very beneficial to 1st party studios, they have learned a lot from it and it has served them well for the future.

You have a short memory, but without Kutaragi there'd be no PlayStation at all. And what he achieved with the PS1 and PS2 doesn't count any more, or does it?

SuperPotato

Veteran
1 Mar 2024
What almost killed the brand was Sony's arrogance at the time, they underestimated Microsoft with their 360, otherwise the Cell, despite its complexity, remains a very good processor that has been very beneficial to 1st party studios, they have learned a lot from it and it has served them well for the future.

You have a short memory, but without Kutaragi there'd be no PlayStation at all. And what he achieved with the PS1 and PS2 doesn't count any more, or does it?

The Cell was a pain in the ass to develop for. It was great for first party games but everyone else hated it.

I know what he did with the PS1 and 2 but he also played a major part in almost killing the entire brand with the PS3.

Reactions: mibu no ookami

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I see Demon’s Souls posts…

You can call me crazy and I really wish to wrong here but I don’t see Demon’s Souls coming to PC.

It should be released there years ago… even more because the whole game was already made by Bluepoint of the studio that does ports to PC… it should even be easy to them.

Just like you won’t see a Bloodborne remake before PS6.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

But if they cut the price permanently it would be a sign of a healthy platform? Make that make sense. They've only raised prices. In fact even with the discounting it's still barely cheaper than launch prices four years in. You're living in a fantasy land.

Handhelds have ALWAYS been more popular in Japan than consoles. The PS2 was the biggest except to that rule due to it being a cheap affordable DVD player, but obviously that isn't going to push the PS5 now that everyone is streaming.

Except it isn't the real metric businesses go by. It's the metric YOU go by. MAUs tell a much larger story as does revenue. The reason why MAUs stay where they are is because people are still playing on PS4. They're playing games like CoD, EA FC, Fortnite. It makes no difference to Sony if they buy those games on PS4 or if they buy them on PS5. In fact, if someone is only going to buy one or two games, you'd rather them stick with PS4 if you're going to take a loss on hardware sales.

MAU is more important than units sold. PS2 sold the most units, but wasn't anywhere near as profitable.

You don't do much research and it shows. The PlayStation console market crashed after the PS2 with the PS3. Again largely due to it being a cheap DVD player selling well above its means. The PS3 sold 10 million units. The PS4 sold 9.5 million units and the PS5 is currently outpacing the PS4 (although coming down in pace due to supply and price).

The PlayStation has been tremendously consistent the last 3 generations in Japan. PCs are growing in Japan, but it doesn't seem to be at the expense of PlayStation.

Do you have any evidence that more individuals have created distinct profiles now than they did in the past? Again this is an example of you searching for an answer to a conundrum that your conclusions aren't supported by facts.

This is a bunch of assumptions not born out in facts.

Any evidence that PC software sales are rising per release?

PlayStation peripherals continue to dominant the market per Circana and Dring... Again... you're so out of wack on reality...

Again no evidence to suggest it will. We don't even know if Sony will publish DS2 on PC.

And yet its margins will probably be significantly higher... you're already hedging that launch will be "decent/impressive" which I actually don't think it will be.

What will you do if it is? Again, you're hedging.

Are we? We're seeing PC plateauing in revenue...

It's not about PSVR2, it's about your general approach. You make shit up, become adamant about it, and you get proving wrong and you never own it.

I wonder how old you are.

You're unable to discern the difference between similar strategies and different execution. You don't study business. You can tell.

• haha
Reactions: arvfab

R4tion4l Sk3pt1c

31 Aug 2024
Unfortunately its over for playstation
Every gamer is starting to see that its much better to go to PC
I find it crazy that Mark Cerny went on stage and did the tap dance about how great games would look on the PS5 Pro when everyone knows the PC version of games are the definitive version most of the time. That begs the question was a PS5 Pro even really needed