Spider-Man 2 Announced for PC

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Oh for sure, but @Concurseiro do Futuro is a flatulent troll that's been laying in waiting for months, desperate for ANY bad Sony news to slobber at. They must've bulldozed his bridge or something with how much he hates them on every other forum.
As soon as I see that user praising Sony I know they fucked up. He was Edgar on GAF, permanently banned Xbot. The only place that still accepts his stained ass is installbase along with Bernd Lauert.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
We called it years ago.

Sales diminish on console, and the PC release delay starts diminishing leading in turn to less sales, and those idiots will just keep on shortening it further, feeding the vicious cycle.

I'm ready to predict that Death Stranding 2 might end up being the Day 1 PC release since it's not an internal 1P project (even though SIE own the IP), being made by a 3P (Kojima Productions). It's the safest Day 1 release of a big 1P AAA they can do, theoretically speaking.

And with that in mind if the trend continues from there (including what just feel like inevitable ports for Demon's Souls and GT7), this is what I can picture sales looking like going forward.

PS5 (non-Pro): 90-95 million (EOY 2028)

PS5 Pro: 8-9 million (EOY 2028)

PS5 (regular + Pro): 98-104 million (EOY 2028)

PS6 (Year 1): 10-11 million (PS4 did ~ 14 million Year 1, PS5 did 14 million Year 1), no supply constraints (demand-limited)

Also those PS6 estimates assume a $499, maybe $599 price for higher-end SKU. If the base SKU is Pro-level pricing, drop that down to 8-9 million for Year 1 (these are XBO-level numbers at this point)

And you're 100% right: it's a vicious, self-defeating cycle feeding on itself. A self-created Catch 22. If they go this path with the ports, and they keep on that path, I can definitely see PS6 getting 70-80 million lifetime (Pro-like launch price and slower price drops), at best 85-90 million lifetime.

But you know something else? If all their 1P goes Day 1, guess what stops getting 3P timed exclusives? PlayStation consoles. Because why would 3P do timed exclusivity if Sony won't with their own games? That could easily drag every number I just mentioned down by up to 15%, maybe even up to 20% in PS6's case.

It didn't have to be this way. It shouldn't have been this way. But it's what SIE wants to do, so there's nothing we can really do about it :/

Remaster the older games that people actually want to replay on console.
Do not restrict yourself to a handful of blockbusters, also fund and release AA games to add variety to the library.

Keep your platform alive and well, and third parties will flock to it. See: PS2, late PS3 and most of the PS4 generation.

Let it wither... well, I guess they'll only learn when it's too late. The decline has already started.

They've been resorting to rampant sales promos across Europe for more or less the whole year to keep numbers from dropping any further than they have. That's not the best sign of a healthy platform.

Yet we will still have people saying that what's happened in Japan is an anomaly and can't happen in other markets 🙄. NOTHING is "too big to fail", not when we're talking about singular platforms or businesses.

Last edited:

Evilms

Graph Master
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
70Lf2qz.png

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I'm ready to predict that Death Stranding 2 might end up being the Day 1 PC release since it's not an internal 1P project (even though SIE own the IP), being made by a 3P (Kojima Productions). It's the safest Day 1 release of a big 1P AAA they can do, theoretically speaking.

And with that in mind if the trend continues from there (including what just feel like inevitable ports for Demon's Souls and GT7), this is what I can picture sales looking like going forward.

PS5 (non-Pro): 90-95 million (EOY 2028)

PS5 Pro: 8-9 million (EOY 2028)

PS5 (regular + Pro): 98-104 million (EOY 2028)

PS6 (Year 1): 10-11 million (PS4 did ~ 14 million Year 1, PS5 did 14 million Year 1), no supply constraints (demand-limited)

Also those PS6 estimates assume a $499, maybe $599 price for higher-end SKU. If the base SKU is Pro-level pricing, drop that down to 8-9 million for Year 1 (these are XBO-level numbers at this point)

And you're 100% right: it's a vicious, self-defeating cycle feeding on itself. A self-created Catch 22. If they go this path with the ports, and they keep on that path, I can definitely see PS6 getting 70-80 million lifetime (Pro-like launch price and slower price drops), at best 85-90 million lifetime.

But you know something else? If all their 1P goes Day 1, guess what stops getting 3P timed exclusives? PlayStation consoles. Because why would 3P do timed exclusivity if Sony won't with their own games? That could easily drag every number I just mentioned down by up to 15%, maybe even up to 20% in PS6's case.

It didn't have to be this way. It shouldn't have been this way. But it's what SIE wants to do, so there's nothing we can really do about it :/

So when will we see the drop in MAU... you're unwilling to say because it's a massive hole in your theory and worldview.

If people had jumped from PS4 or even PS5 to PC, you would see a drop in total MAU as a result.

You should stop and think about why this is such a massive hole in your prediction and why marginal PC sales would represent significantly larger losses in console sales and why there is zero evidence of that so far.

What is your prediction by the end of 2025?

You've convinced yourself that 10s of millions of people want to play on PC rather than console with no evidence. Simply by the mere availability of these games on PC. Games like Madden and CoD have been on PC for decades and yet they're still more popular on console, but it was the Sony first party games (you know the onces that barely existed on the PS1 through most of the PS3 that kept PlayStation selling)...

You're not good at this because you're not a critical thinker. You come to conclusions and work backwards from there. I'm beating a dead horse, but this is how you made your absolutely nonsensical PSVR2 PC streaming conclusions despite that not making any sense. You would think that would give you a pause in how you speculate on things but you just double down.

• haha
Reactions: arvfab

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
I think Spiderman 3 may be co-op since they had a MP mode or game in the works and that leaked online last year. Would not surpirse me they have co-op mission with drop in drop out for side quests.

This wouldn't surprise me either. I always thought that an online multi-player Spider Man game would be one of the very few live service games that would be worth attempting due to the IP.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

LOL the revisionist history even includes Jim Ryan in the Golden Age now... that was fast.

Ken Kutaragi is the one who priced the PS3 at 500 and 600 dollars.

The entire PS1-PS2 era sony barely had 1st party development. The PS3 was an actual failure.

You're all fanboys who are angry about PC ports that have no impact on you. Your whole gaming identity is about console and platform wars... It's honestly sad.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
As they should be. People really need to get over this shit especially when the companies themselves are telling their fans to get over it.

Games are unbelievably expensive to develop but they don't care about real world realities.

They're convinced that, hey just keep doing what you're doing with higher risk and ceilings on sales and you'll GROW...

It's wild and childish.

PC is an avenue to get significantly more exposure to an almost entirely different userbase for small money. It's a complete no-brainer.

The funny thing is they'll complain about it, but they'll still buy PlayStation because they're fanboys.

• haha
Reactions: arvfab and Umar

Evilms

Graph Master
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
LOL the revisionist history even includes Jim Ryan in the Golden Age now... that was fast.

Ken Kutaragi is the one who priced the PS3 at 500 and 600 dollars.

The entire PS1-PS2 era sony barely had 1st party development. The PS3 was an actual failure.

You're all fanboys who are angry about PC ports that have no impact on you. Your whole gaming identity is about console and platform wars... It's honestly sad.
Jim Ryan has been with the brand since its beginnings in 1994, and he did a great job in Europe and contributed greatly to the success of PlayStation.

Do you want to sweep that under the carpet?
full.png

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Jim Ryan has been with the brand since its beginnings in 1994, and he did a great job in Europe and contributed greatly to the success of PlayStation.

Do you want to sweep that under the carpet?
full.png

Not at all. I think he's been the best CEO SIE has seen. I just find the premise of golden ages and dark ages hilarious.