Square Enix goes multiplatform, focus on quality then quantity

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
It’s crazy how ya’ll on here really wanted Sony to buy Square. Are ya’ll not seeing what buying major publishers is doing to MS? Lol

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Because handheld consoles are less efficient than home consoles, in performance and power processing. The most expensive handheld costs around 799-1000. Lenovo Legion GO can't support more than 1440p. And you expect a cheap Company like Nintendo to offer a powerful handheld? In which parallel world do the cost for potent components dissappear? Nintendo will never subsidize their hardware, and a 400 handheld won't be powerful. DSSL is not a miracle tool, it can Turm 720p into 4K.

My dude, folks are already playing sub native 720p Switch games with little to no anti-aliasing on their 4k TVs.
What makes you think they won't play Switch 2 games with ultra performance DLSS on?

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
By cancelling the type of small games that flopped in the last few years from SE(for various reasons).
what? i didn't ask why SE cancelled small games. do you need that i repeat my question?

how going multiplatform and developing for more platforms leads to more Quality?

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
So one game a year. Most likely Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy both single player and mmo. And ports to Nintendo handhelds and pc.

Making less forspoken and foamstars… is a good play.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
You know what, I'm done here. Mods, just go ahead and ban me. Feel free to have the constant doom and gloom jerk off fest without me.

These clowns salivate at any opportunity to paint bullshit narratives. Just ignore their lunacy.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
My dude, folks are already playing sub native 720p Switch games with little to no anti-aliasing on their 4k TVs.
What makes you think they won't play Switch 2 games with ultra performance DLSS on?
You don't even know if Switch 2 will support Ultra performance DLSS.

OP
OP
N

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
They even lost their own 1st party partner MLB 😂
I’m surprised Sony hasn’t pushed San Diego to work on a Sony own ip instead of solely focusing on MLB like it doesn’t has to be AAA but maybe work on spin off games using PS ip or create a new ip that’s a AA platformer or side scroller like Mario, who knows maybe San Diego makes a new ip & the characters are iconic & resonate with PS fans

Last edited:

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I’m surprised Sony hasn’t pushed San Diego to work on a Sony own ip instead of focusing on MLB like it doesn’t has to be AAA but maybe work on spin off games using PS ip or create a new ip that’s a AA platformer or side scroller like Mario who knows maybe San Diego makes a new ip & the characters are iconic & resonate with PS fans
San Diego is Sony owned. They lost the exclusive rights for MLB being PS only

Zeno

28 Jun 2023
Why all the doom and gloom?
What has Sony lost in this case? You think Square will release mainline FF games at the same time on PS6 as on Switch 2? Xbox sales are declining rapidly. PC will still probably get the games a few months later, because you know, piracy. So Playstation will be the best and first place to play the AAA Square Enix games.

Yes, Sony could and maybe should have bought Square. Solid IPs that can be used for Anime and TV. But seeing how much trouble Square has with their finances, maybe it was wise of Sony not go for them. Better to pay a bit of a premium and aquire them when they have their house in order.

So please, the doomers, enlighten me how this is the beginning of the end for Playstation?

OP
OP
N

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
it’s over, they just lost their biggest partner in Japan, if FF17 comes day one to Switch… the japanese market is lost forever for PlayStation, some members in this site are completely delusional, PlayStation is dying right in front of our eyes and they somehow think everything is okay
If Sony doesn’t acquire Capcom or Square Enix or double/tripple down on AA smaller scope more quirky universal games like Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Jak & Daxter, Gravity Rush, Wild Arms, Potopon, Ape Escape, Little Big Planet PlayStation is cook in japan they where already cook PS was just holding on by the ledge.

Buying Paramount will only help Sony & that’s a 50/50 but acquiring Capcom, Square Enix, Kadokawa/Fromsoft, LVL5, Arc System Wotk will help PlayStation, Sony picture/animation & Sony

OP
OP
N

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
San Diego is Sony owned. They lost the exclusive rights for MLB being PS only
I know I’m surprised Sony hasn’t made a 2nd team to work on a new ip or on a spin of PS franchise instead of solely working on MLB especially now that’s 3rd party & ultimately Sony doesn’t own or makes final calls

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
what? i didn't ask why SE cancelled small games. do you need that i repeat my question?

how going multiplatform and developing for more platforms leads to more Quality?

I know you didn't ask, but their reasoning is that by cancelling all the games nobody wants and concentrating the workforce on tentpole projects, it'll mean better quality products that will attract more potential buyers.

That's what they're saying.
I don't have a magic ball in the future to see if their current stated aim is going to materialize itself in a couple years as part of their mid-term strategy.

It worked for Capcom, will it work for Square Enix? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You don't even know if Switch 2 will support Ultra performance DLSS.

The chance of Switch 2 not using the DLSS preset aligned with its resolution output is about the same as me winning the lottery. If you believe the contrary, you can continue believing that.

I’m surprised Sony hasn’t pushed San Diego to work on a Sony own ip instead of focusing on MLB like it doesn’t has to be AAA but maybe work on spin off games using PS ip or create a new ip that’s a AA platformer or side scroller like Mario who knows maybe San Diego makes a new ip & the characters are iconic & resonate with PS fans

San Diego is also making the Switch and Xbox versions of the game, they're doing more work than they used to.
Where are they going to find the time to make other games when they have to pump a sports game every year on so many SKUs?

Luffy123

Veteran
16 Jul 2023
Why all the doom and gloom?
What has Sony lost in this case? You think Square will release mainline FF games at the same time on PS6 as on Switch 2? Xbox sales are declining rapidly. PC will still probably get the games a few months later, because you know, piracy. So Playstation will be the best and first place to play the AAA Square Enix games.

Yes, Sony could and maybe should have bought Square. Solid IPs that can be used for Anime and TV. But seeing how much trouble Square has with their finances, maybe it was wise of Sony not go for them. Better to pay a bit of a premium and aquire them when they have their house in order.

So please, the doomers, enlighten me how this is the beginning of the end for Playstation?

because the PC initiative is killing Sony

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Neversummer

Evilms

Graph Master
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The problem is that Square Enix don't know how to sell their games any more, they've destroyed and done a lot of damage to their flagship franchises.

If you compare them with Capcom, it hurts.

• sad
Reactions: anonpuffs

Luffy123

Veteran
16 Jul 2023
the FOD campaign by the gaming media has done this. Its a disgrace

how can Steller Blade, Rise of Ronin, Helldivers 2 all be massively successful as Console Exclusives but FF16 and FF7 Rebirth are not

Luffy123

Veteran
16 Jul 2023
It’s crazy how ya’ll on here really wanted Sony to buy Square. Are ya’ll not seeing what buying major publishers is doing to MS? Lol

if this was just Square it would be fine but it is not

Sony is doing the exact same fucking PC bullshit which will ultimately lead to lower quality titles and stagnant creativity