Square Enix goes multiplatform, focus on quality then quantity

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Capcom had more than just resident evil to capture modern audiences. Monster Hunter World did it for them.

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
Sony doesn’t have a 1st party rpg studio and SE filled that gap for them. I hope all the Twitter praise and Xbox podcasts praising them will make up the difference in sales.
Sony venturing into RPGs would be very cool to see.

Something I've though about recently.

Maybe Naughty Dog would be the perfect studio right now if they don't want to work on Existing IPs.

And they have like 700 people working there right now which is incredible.

Luffy123

Veteran
16 Jul 2023
The RE remakes are incredible Luffy.

Also I hope whatever happens, in the end we get great games. (And hopefully i get to play them on PlayStation)

they are perfectly acceptable but people would not be happy if Sony was the one making them and pushing them out year on year

its a cheap easy way of making profit and revenue without spending money on budget

Square cannot do this unless they want to realise Pixel Remasters or HD remasters every year constantly

Capcom and Sega are what the Gaming Industry will be like for the next 5 years

glorified ports and remasters

we won't get games like the LOU2 or GOW again

• Heart
Reactions: The Icon

Luffy123

Veteran
16 Jul 2023
and filled with MTX too.
overall, if that was Sony game or SE, it would be mixed with shit.
+ if the game would have been that good, we would hear no end to it on media, but DD2 disappeared from media very fast.

bro this is what I'm telling them

people want them to copy Capcom?? are you serious

look at their strategy with Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Dogma and Monster Hunter

its the same shit year on year

look at Sega???

Just some random Persona game every year or remake with little to nothing in actual development of trying to improve

they really want this to be the video game industry going forward

• brain
Reactions: The Icon and Lersds

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
bro this is what I'm telling them

people want them to copy Capcom?? are you serious

look at their strategy with Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Dogma and Monster Hunter

its the same shit year on year

look at Sega???

Just some random Persona game every year or remake with little to nothing in actual development of trying to improve

they really want this to be the video game industry going forward
Dairy Farm Milk GIF by Rex Orange County

Luffy123

Veteran
16 Jul 2023
Look at the difference in how Capcom and Persona remakes are treated compared to Sony ones

people actually want the whole industry to be like this ffs

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gediminas

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
Luffy I completely agree with you on the games Sony releases.

They have incredible studios and Sony makes good executive decisions regarding the studio and let's them have resources and doesn't rush them.

And they dont put MTX, they always launch at 60 fps and at great performance, with not much bugs, etc.

That's why I always try to express my gratefulness towards them, play and enjoy them, i appreciate em.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Sony venturing into RPGs would be very cool to see.
Something I've though about recently.
Maybe Naughty Dog would be the perfect studio right now if they don't want to work on Existing IPs.

I know they're not going to that but a Naughty Dog RPG with a focus on melee would slap.
Just imagine the animation quality with all different kind of weapons and enemy reactivity to your hits and all of that.
Man...

They're also one of a very few studio that do believable party dynamics between a cast of characters very well.
Loads of RPGs nowadays from the west, that are not CRPGs, are mostly a solo main character type ofthing and the party vibes have been missing since Bioware hasn't done any Dragon Age or Mass Effect in forever.

And they have like 700 people working there right now which is incredible.

Relax:

"I’ve been making games professionally for over 30 years, and Naughty Dog has been my home for over half my life," he writes. "I’ve seen this studio grow from hire number 14 (me!) during the Crash 3 days in 1998 to over 400 Dogs today.

They're probably around 450-500~

If they had been 700 people they probably would've not cancelled their online game because they would've had the main power to do both their GaaS game while maintaining their usual SP output.

avenovah

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
Is someone bluffing?

On the ResetERA forums, Head on the Block, who was previously known as I'm a Hero Too and provided correct information regarding a variety of Japanese titles, recently commented on the PlayStation, and Square Enix exclusivity deals, saying they are about to get much, much worse.

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
See there is no need to hyperventilate, Square will release a multiplatform FF and what happened with XIII and XV will repeat and will come back to PS console exclusive again. Sadly square needs the PC sales, Rebirth and 16 would have netted another 1-1.5 million sales in launch week and then the xbot fuckers online would have nothing to say

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Although one good thing that can come out of multiplatform is that the reviews will be much easier to score high, look at DD2

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I mean...publishers are at point where they kind of have to take what they can get from Xbox or leave the platform.

We know from Chris Dring that certain pubs are regretting putting massive titles on Xbox because they aren't recouping their investment so they have to take the Game Pass check or get little to nothing at all
That to me is what makes this all the more baffling. Publishers are talking about abandoning Xbox and SE wants to go multiplatform NOW? When Xbox is cratering in sales and image? I get going to PC to a certain extent. Switch 2 is still over a year off as well.

Reactions: Jivesh1995

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
That to me is what makes this all the more baffling. Publishers are talking about abandoning Xbox and SE wants to go multiplatform NOW? When Xbox is cratering in sales and image? I get going to PC to a certain extent. Switch 2 is still over a year off as well.

@Bold
This shift is mid-term strategy goal, which is usually a 5 years plan for big corporations.
So Switch 2 is obviously going to be an important SKU within that time period.
Production schedule/platform decisions are made years in advance, these things take time to manifest.
We're not going to feel the effects of this change for quite some time, and certainly not this fiscal year.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Speaking off PC, FF16 had 6 months window and we going on for almost a year now. And Rebirth had 3 months, we are 2 weeks off that time with no imminent info about PC release.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Unless Square wants to get acquired by Sony, having titles being console exclusive is a bad idea if you are a multiplatform publisher. FFVIIR will probably be their last console exclusive in a long time.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Pirates win another round. I doubt this will help Square Enix in any way.

I said it since the FF Remake days, Sony should not be paying for temporary exclusive, that doesn't convince anyone and they don't add up over time.

It's the same reason why a 1 or 2 years delayed released window for PC is stupid, might as well release day one since people already know it's coming. Either make a true exclusive or move on from the idea of exclusives and accept that you are just another multiplataform publisher.

Reactions: Luffy123