Starfield is the fifth biggest game launch in Europe this year (so far)

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Yes. But RDR1 is the 2nd game in the Red Dead franchise, so it's not a new ip.
Red dead revolver was.
Exactly.

GTA to RD = new ip (there are 3 games in that new IP... Revolver, Redemption and Redemption 2).
Dark Souls to Elden Ring = new ip.
EoS to Starfield = new ip.

You guys are crazy trying to say Starfield is not a new IP... and I'm one of the biggest PS fanboys here (never owed anything else than PlayStation after PS1)... I mean that is how nonsense the conversation is going.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
GFK Physical weekly is on wed.
GSD physical + digital weekly we get on Friday to Monday.
We got the boxed UK on Monday Sept 11 so it should be today. Chris said Starfield would be as big as Diablo 4 in the UK.

When are we getting UK Physical + Digital, not Europe.

Reactions: ethomaz

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
'starfield is a new IP' stop with this bullshit everyone knows it's just tes/fallout in space ...

Bro you can copy another game entirely and it will still be new IP if it's a new franchise. Saints Row was straight up ripping off GTA that doesn't negate the fact it is new intellectual property

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
We got the boxed UK on Monday Sept 11 so it should be today. Chris said Starfield would be as big as Diablo 4 in the UK.

When are we getting UK Physical + Digital, not Europe.

You are right.

GFK Physical UK on Monday.
GSD Physical + Digital UK on Friday to end of week.

GSD Physical + Digital Europe on first week of the month.

Edit -

There is no UK Physical today because it is holiday there.
Ganesh Chaturthi.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Bro you can copy another game entirely and it will still be new IP if it's a new franchise. Saints Row was straight up ripping off GTA that doesn't negate the fact it is new intellectual property
Nobody was treating Starfield as just a random "new IP" before it came out.

All this history rewriting "its good for a new IP" is fucking tiring. Go back to read the comments about Starfield "the GOTG, the magnum opus from God Howard and biggest game since Cyberpunk" that was supposed to leave Playstation in the dust and rival TOTK as GOTY. It was literally last month.

All the clowns are pretending they forgot. We didn't. No matter how many damage control and fake stats come out to hide it didn't meet the hype at all on reviews, sales and Steam.

You are right.

GFK Physical UK on Monday.
GSD Physical + Digital UK on Friday to end of week.

GSD Physical + Digital Europe on first week of the month.
They are delaying it so Starfield gets a win today. Chris and his agenda.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I checked it is holiday in UK today... is that not true? That is the reason.
When there is holiday the UK chart misses the Monday and releases on Tuesday.
Chris wasn't on holiday today with all these tweets and articles on the OP. Weird.

There's no holiday today lol
It's Starfield day to celebrate 5th place. You can go home 😁

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
This is a very dishonest way to present Starfield's sales in comparison to other titles. Almost 2 weeks vs 1 for other titles, units (with a $30 GP upgrade) vs revenue, presenting it as the 5th fastest selling when it's really just a stacked launch vs other titles and their first week sales.

It's no longer catastrophic, but we can't tell if it's good or not.

And then you have @ethomaz engaging in the same brand of dishonesty. The expectations here were for a Fallout/TES level launch. 12 million first week was the benchmark and this fell short. And equating broken street date sales to an official early access launch? Come on.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
1695065410-f6t8-c2wiailnna.jpeg

1695065420-f6t8-cqwoae3oph.jpeg

image.png

full.png

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
This is a very dishonest way to present Starfield's sales in comparison to other titles. Almost 2 weeks vs 1 for other titles, units (with a $30 GP upgrade) vs revenue, presenting it as the 5th fastest selling when it's really just a stacked launch vs other titles and their first week sales.

It's no longer catastrophic, but we can't tell if it's good or not.

And then you have @ethomaz engaging in the same brand of dishonesty. The expectations here were for a Fallout/TES level launch. 12 million first week was the benchmark and this fell short. And equating broken street date sales to an official early access launch? Come on.
You quoted me with false accusations...

First I don't engage in brand of dishonesty... I just follow actual facts.
Second I'm not even a Starfield fan... I don't like Xbox, I don't buy Xbox games, I don't even like Bethesda's games... so I have no car in this race.

I'm first and only PS fan.
But I don't create narratives to try convince people that something is not what it is.

And about Starfield I'm not sure who had these expectations? Because a game missing PS5 (where 80% of consoles sales are) and being day one on Gamepass it won't sell ever like previous games.
So for what it is the game sold better than I expected... yes after the reviewers I expected less sales and it manage to be have very good sales.

I'm not sure what crazy pills you guys eat to estimate number for Starfield on the same league as Skyrim for example... man the game lose around 80% of consoles sales (PS5) and more with Gamepass PC and Xbox.

BTW this data shows maybe it did over 2 million in Europe at launch.
Is that not good for a new IP harmed by Gamepass and lack of PS5?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
What the issue here exactly?

Fastest selling = biggest game launch.

The guys asked about "5th best selling" and nobody talked about the best selling list... best selling list for 2023 means cumulative of everything sold in 2023.
The article is about fastest-selling / biggest game launch in 2023.
They are only comparing launch sales here (aka the official release week).

• haha
Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
You quoted me with false accusations...

First I don't engage in brand of dishonesty... I just follow actual facts.
Second I'm not even a Starfield fan... I don't like Xbox, I don't buy Xbox games, I don't even like Bethesda's games... so I have no car in this race.

I'm first and only PS fan.
But I don't create narratives to try convince people that something is not what it is.

And about Starfield I'm not sure who had these expectations? Because a game missing PS5 (where 80% of consoles sales are) and being day one on Gamepass it won't sell ever like previous games.
So for what it is the game sold better than I expected... yes after the reviewers I expected less sales and it manage to be have very good sales.

I'm not sure what crazy pills you guys eat to estimate number for Starfield on the same league as Skyrim for example... man the game lose around 80% of consoles sales (PS5) and more with Gamepass PC and Xbox.

BTW this data shows maybe it did over 2 million in Europe at launch.
Is that not good for a new IP harmed by Gamepass and lack of PS5?
Excuse Me What GIF by Nickelodeon

First off, I didn't quote you.

Secondly, do you really want me to dig up receipts about your FFXVI postings and how you ignored context that's suddenly relevant for Starfield - FFXVI also released on one console vs the multiplatform launch of its predecessor.

Thirdly, I'm not accusing you of having an allegiance to anything - don't conflate me with other posters.

Fourthly, since you follow actual facts, demonstrate with evidence how this placement equates to 2 million in launch sales in Europe. Make sure to show your working, and then also explain how going from 12 -> 'maybe' over 2 million in Europe, 0 in Japan and ??? In America is better than going from 5 -> 3 million, which was the FFXV to FFXVI trajectory. For reference, it would need to sell 5.2 million in the first week in the USA to perform as well as FFXVI did relative to the last major title from the developer in the same series.

This connection between SF and other Bethesda franchise is one I know you're disputing, so here's Todd Howard making the connection.

"It's like 'Skyrim' in space."
First line of the article.

You can't have your cake and eat it, too. Either it's a new IP that stands on its own legs (too late) or you tie it to experiences and franchises your audience is familiar with to pump sales.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
The actual story here is Hogwarts. Holy shit. Harry Potter fell from relevancy for me after the last book came out and for most people when the last real movie came out. And yet here it is, dominating this year in gaming. And mind you, this is the biggest year in gaming in maybe 20 years. What an amazing story and one I just can't wait to talk about Every. Single. Time.

Last edited:
  • fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Excuse Me What GIF by Nickelodeon

First off, I didn't quote you.

Secondly, do you really want me to dig up receipts about your FFXVI postings and how you ignored context that's suddenly relevant for Starfield - FFXVI also released on one console vs the multiplatform launch of its predecessor.

Thirdly, I'm not accusing you of having an allegiance to anything - don't conflate me with other posters.

Fourthly, since you follow actual facts, demonstrate with evidence how this placement equates to 2 million in launch sales in Europe. Make sure to show your working, and then also explain how going from 12 -> 'maybe' over 2 million in Europe, 0 in Japan and ??? In America is better than going from 5 -> 3 million, which was the FFXV to FFXVI trajectory. For reference, it would need to sell 5.2 million in the first week in the USA to perform as well as FFXVI did relative to the last major title from the developer in the same series.

This connection between SF and other Bethesda franchise is one I know you're disputing, so here's Todd Howard making the connection.

First line of the article.

You can't have your cake and eat it, too. Either it's a new IP that stands on its own legs (too late) or you tie it to experiences and franchises your audience is familiar with to pump sales.
You can try and dig because they are all right in context.

What FFXVI lose without Xbox?
Now compare with what Starfield lose without PS5?

It is easy to understand but you guys things it is the "same context" lol

And yes... a decline in a well know and stabilized franchise no matter if it is 20m to 12m or 5m to 3m.... it is bad... you can say it is about Xbox sales lol but in reality it was like 500k from these 5 million... because Xbox is basically a dead platform even before Gamepass.
Now a new IP that lose sales to Gamepass (that basically eat even more these less than 20% of the market Xbox had) and PS5 (around 80% of it consoles sales) reaching over 2 million in Europe is good.

And about how I reached the over 2 million? Well it is ahead RE4 that I believe did around 1.7-1.8 million in Europe at launch... but hey it can be 1.9 million instead over 2 million.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The actual story here is Hogwarts. Holy shit. Harry Potter fell from relevancy for me after the last book came out and for most people when the ladt real movie came out. And yet here it is, dominating this year in gaming. And mind you, this is the biggest year in gaming in maybe 20 years. What an amazing story and one I just can't wait to talk about Every. Single. Time.
Harry Potter will sell no matter what just line Niche-man.
The name alone is strong to move sales.

Said that the game is amazing... so it sales power increase even more.

gokuss4

28 Jan 2023
The game is a huge fail
There's no need to defend it
And if MS lose September npd the damage will be severe for the Xbox brand
Also the game hyped to be the next big thing by the fans and the media but it didn't do that well imo