Starfield is the fifth biggest game launch in Europe this year (so far)

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Journalists are handling Xbox with the baby gloves. They all so wanted this to be the moment it all turned around for the brand, after the last two years of claiming Playstation was a dead man walking once Xbox started firing on all cylinders.

In reality Playstation probably dodged a bullet since they were gonna lock down this game as well. It forced them to instead make sure they had a counter. And it's played out in their favor. They will probably win September NPD because of a game that's not even out yet... then fully eviscerate everyone next month because of the same game.

They have marketing for COD which will probably be one of the last hurrah for the franchise as well. But using it to twist the knife a bit further into just for show.

I think they may have AC marketing too?

I know myself and others give them a lot of flack for their failing upwards mentality lately. But, they really weathered every storm well this generation. In-fact they've been their own worst enemy for years. But, once they manage to sort out their first party pipeline next year... it's gonna be rough time for Xbox, possibly worse than last gen.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
The game is a huge fail
There's no need to defend it
And if MS lose September npd the damage will be severe for the Xbox brand
Also the game hyped to be the next big thing by the fans and the media but it didn't do that well imo
I still think it's a bit too early to be writing off the game. Definitely not a failure just couldn't live up the hype everyone placed on it. In-a-way it's kinda poetic justice since this game is only exclusive because of a rich company being petty. To see a huge portion of their own base shun this game gotta sting.... knowing it would have done way better on another platform.

All they had to do was give Xbox early access and then release on PS5 lol. It probably would have helped more with getting some Playstation fans to pick up an Xbox.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Definitely not a failure just couldn't live up the hype everyone placed on it.
The hype Todd Howard bumped up with his lies, or maybe he was just talking for pre-release versions of the game that had to have features cut?

I mean, I can't fly to any planet in a given system and then land anywhere I want on one of those planet then walk (not even asking for cars/boats/planes or even horses, because I don't think it was claimed that there would be land vehicles) all the way around it just because I want to.

The rest of the hype was xbox shills echoing and building up on this game in all sorts of media.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Journalists are handling Xbox with the baby gloves. They all so wanted this to be the moment it all turned around for the brand, after the last two years of claiming Playstation was a dead man walking once Xbox started firing on all cylinders.

In reality Playstation probably dodged a bullet since they were gonna lock down this game as well. It forced them to instead make sure they had a counter. And it's played out in their favor. They will probably win September NPD because of a game that's not even out yet... then fully eviscerate everyone next month because of the same game.

They have marketing for COD which will probably be one of the last hurrah for the franchise as well. But using it to twist the knife a bit further into just for show.

I think they may have AC marketing too?

I know myself and others give them a lot of flack for their failing upwards mentality lately. But, they really weathered every storm well this generation. In-fact they've been their own worst enemy for years. But, once they manage to sort out their first party pipeline next year... it's gonna be rough time for Xbox, possibly worse than last gen.
If PlayStation can hit the 399 price point this holiday they may be looking at a 60 million installed base headed into 2024. Xbox will be lucky to be at 25 million imo.

• fire

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
About that rumor...

Wow! Very interesting. I remember it was some journalist on Twitter that started this rumor... it's so interesting how this somehow lines up with Phil's talking point.

Makes me wonder why Jim Ryan x Sony are so terrible at PR. Would have been easy to debunk this nonsense fud that was being fostered 2 years.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Wow! Very interesting. I remember it was some journalist on Twitter that started this rumor... it's so interesting how this somehow lines up with Phil's talking point.

Makes me wonder why Jim Ryan x Sony are so terrible at PR. Would have been easy to debunk this nonsense fud that was being fostered 2 years.
Debunking would have done nothing, they would not have shown the messages and all we would have had was an argument about who's telling the truth, pathological liar Phil or uncle Jim. Feeding an incessant cycle of drama.

It would have made Sony look defensive too.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I can't find this in the documentation, so I'll check again, but it pretty much confirms that Starfield, Redfall [Project Omen], and Hi-Fi Rush [Hibiki] were coming to PlayStation.

It also confirms that Starfield is a last-gen game.
I did not know Hi-Fi Rush was planned for PS, but the whole "I'm not into the business of taking games away from our competition" never made any sense.

Starfield is so next gen that even a PC with a 4090 will need to be upgraded to run it properly 🤷.

• brain

Plextorage

Banned
26 Feb 2023
atGYpsb.jpg

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Starfield getting beat by a Ubi Soft racing game? Not a good look. Expectation should be that a BGS triple A RPG shouldn't be trailing behind a racing game from Ubi Soft.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly