Starfield | Review & Discussion Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
And yet working off a template doesn't make something mediocre. Arguing that Ragnarok or HFW are mediocre because they are sequels is not only dumb, it's wrong. Additionally, the user called all exclusives mediocre, including a little game called Returnal, which was quite enjoyable. Was it goty? Of course not, but can anyone arguing in good faith say it's a mediocre game?
I get it but you could make a case for calling the games mediocre on certain levels. I’d have to hear his rationale but I don’t totally write off the argument.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Is this a joke?

Ragnarok: bar graphical improvements, combat is faster, there's a lot more RPG elements to further differentiate your build, a new weapon, improved platforming sections with the usage of a "grappling hook"

HFW: more transversal options, from a boat to flying mounts, including one that can also dive, much refined combat with improved / neq weaponry and combos, grappling hook and "glider" for your combat and "platforming" sections.

If you were trying to have an honest discussion your question wouldn't even be posed.

Evilms

Graph Master
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
eGTKSbz.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I get it but you could make a case for calling the games mediocre on certain levels. I’d have to hear his rationale but I don’t totally write off the argument.
Bro we are on like Mario kart 20, Smash brothers 15, etc and those games score high in their respective genres. The argument that sequels should be scored lower or are mediocre because of that is so flawed it's ridiculous. Wth you think Sony did by rebooting GOW? They changed up the formula and new engine and they made it fresh. Horizon isn't an old ip in the world of gaming. Some arguments around here are very strange.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Resident Evil has had significant changes to its style over the years, not a good example.

Iterative titles are important but so is innovation. Video games are known for pushing the digital bar higher. It is a leading industry. If a sequel simply follows the same formula that earned it critical acclaim previously, I don’t look at that as a glowing badge of honor. I look at it like they just did the same shit twice.
GOW 2018 AND TLOU2 were more innovative than anything Xbox has done since Halo 3

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Bro we are on like Mario kart 20, Smash brothers 15, etc and those games score high in their respective genres. The argument that sequels should be scored lower or are mediocre because of that is so flawed it's ridiculous. Wth you think Sony did by rebooting GOW? They changed up the formula and new engine and they made it fresh. Horizon isn't an old ip in the world of gaming. Some arguments around here are very strange.
You guys have got to realize PlayStation titles aren’t as beloved as Nintendo first party. I’m sorry this is the case but you must accept it.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
You guys have got to realize PlayStation titles aren’t as beloved as Nintendo first party. I’m sorry this is the case but you must accept it.
Accept it? Wtf are you talking about? GOW R already sold north of 20 million lol Horizon zero dawn as a new IP 20 million, Ghost of T 10 million. You need to accept that your sequel argument is fallacious. You need to accept that even though PlayStation isn't a first party only focused console like Nintendo is it still holds its own and it's ips do monster numbers. Stop moving goalposts. BTW Nintendo might have super top sellers but the games I've mentioned above have sold more than most switch exclusives! except for games like Mario kart, botw, etc.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
God of War, Horizon and Spider-man are selling 20M+ copies.
Yes, they are as beloved as Nintendo first parties.

Reactions: PS_ROCKS

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Resident Evil has had significant changes to its style over the years, not a good example.

Iterative titles are important but so is innovation. Video games are known for pushing the digital bar higher. It is a leading industry. If a sequel simply follows the same formula that earned it critical acclaim previously, I don’t look at that as a glowing badge of honor. I look at it like they just did the same shit twice.
RE 2 and 3 remakes are the same game as 4, according to your logic. Dead Space is also RE4.
RE7 and 8 are the same games, according to this logic.
FF7Remake and Rebirth are also the same game.
As are all New Super Mario Bros games.
FFS.

Aidendelaney95

9 Jul 2022
Saying Starfield doesn't get good until after you beat the main story is like saying Spider-Man 2 doesn't get good until you beat Venom.

What they're really saying is your efforts to enjoy the main story are pointless because it's shit.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
87 is a great score. I still think this game is what MS needs, it didn't fall short. Its a AAA game that's very popular and got great reviews. Now they should think about how they achieve this once or twice a year.
It doesn't really look like an 87 though. It looks and plays worse than FF16. You can say it has bigger scope, so different appeal, but there is only so much randomly generated emptiness can do for a game. My guess is long term, just like Halo, people will agree this doesn't deserve the high score (if it stays that way). None of the clips I've seen have looked like an almost 9/10. All the 10/10 reviews are utterly delusional.

Crow

Banned
15 Jul 2023
Wow, this is quite bad. Ignoring the actual scores, the gameplay and features discussed are all underbaked and underwhelming. No map? No FOV slider? Planets in space are pictures and you can barely fly around? Seems to be a BGS staple: promise features, use smoke and mirrors to make it appear to be that feature. Nothing like being stuck in a small zone in space looking at a planet skybox to feel "immersed" in the scifi. Makes me continually appreciate Outer Wilds.

As to actual review numbers, pretty funny all the deflection from fans saying "Well IGN Japan gave it a 10!' because looking at the game, do you really think it is a 10? It doesn't even look like an 8.8 which it currently is. Genuinely looks as if it is a 7.5. Hopefully the reviewers who got the code late can be honest.
nope. Even when those scores come in, the reviews will still hover in the 80s. Starfield is a good game according to the "journalists". I can't wait to play it at 8pm US time! Time for the gamers to get their hands on it and see what they think