Starfield | Review & Discussion Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Ghost of Tsushima got an 83 on Metacritic, that’s hardly a “WOW“ moment. Lol The “WOW“ Moment would of been TLOU 1 and 2, and GOW 2018/Ragnarok.
I got so many WOW moments in GOT, even the title drop is the most memorable I have ever seen. The 83 doesn't tell the whole story.

It came out after TLOU2 so critics were more harsh. It deserved a 87+ easily like the Director's Cut.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I got so many WOW moments in GOT, even the title drop is the most memorable I have ever seen. The 83 doesn't tell the whole story.

It came out after TLOU2 so critics were more harsh. It deserved a 87+ easily like the Director's Cut.
That game doesn't have a proper combat camera so -3

But you can be naked in public bath. So 11/10

Also npc doesn't clip out of floor, the game doesn't put barriers(fk u HFW) and it doesn't crash every 30 mins.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

The awesome coop alone should have put it higher. It's a 90 game for me, I enjoyed both campaign and online, I mean I got the plat!!! That world is gorgeous too puts campaign worlds to shame and combat oh lawwwd so much fun

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
A gaf review...

My five cents, with 12.5 hours of playtime I think it's fair to give some impressions. Might be a bit of a rant because I have a lot of feelings right now.

The more I play this the more its fundamentally flawed structure becomes apparent. It is both overwhelming and deeply unsatisfying. There are just so many mindbogglingly weird or straight up bad design decisions there's a chance this game will go down the MGSV route of incredible potential completely squandered by baffling design.

This game is the anti-immersive sim.

Some things that are just insane to me:

- There is no exploration. No adventure, no sense of wonder. You go in a menu, you press a button and you fast travel via a loading screen. Flying around in space is unrewarding and useless. You don't descend on a planet, you cannot fly around on a planet. Or otherwise move around on a planet. The tile based procedurally generated areas are terrible. I landed on the moon facing Earth because I wanted to see the sights and it just rendered some random area. Earth wasn't even in view. There was a mission where I had to save a dude from a crashed ship. I was on another planet in another system, I went into the menu, selected his location, clicked to go there, I got a loading screen and it literally spawned me right next to the guy with my ship 500 meters away. No travel cinematic, no landing sequence, it instantly warped me to a completely different system next to the objective. Just dreadfully bland design.
- The game knows there is no exploration or adventure because it tries to remove travel every way it can. You can fast-travel 500 meters from your ship and be in a completely different system one loading screen later. There's no feeling of being a part of the universe, everything feels extremely videogame-y. You can literally fast-travel to the front door of the Lodge from another system.
- New Atlantis' techno utopia seems impressive at first but after the initial "ooh" and "aah" wears off it is an incredibly badly designed area. It is immense, cumbersome to navigate (no map, lmao. How do you have this huge hub area and no map), has zero redeeming qualities other than nice vistas and on a meta level has terrible technical performance with framerates going from 50 to 20.
- The dialogue system is terrible and feels like I'm playing Skyrim, only not in a good way. The way the camera is positioned, the hard cuts to people talking, the bizarre way companions look straight at you even when talking to someone else. It's a system from two generations ago with almost zero improvements. When you're in space and another ship hails you, it zooms in on the ship as if the ship is talking, lmao. Would it really kill you to add a screen to the cockpit where you see someone else talking to you? This game was in development for like 8 years, for fucks sake. Where's the immersion? I just don't understand how this happens.
- Literally every mission is a fetch quest. You go somewhere, flip a switch or shoot the place up, get some info or talk to someone to get a new location, rinse and repeat. Aggressively mediocre game design.

The way it dunks sidequests on you is hilarious. Literally every quest in New Atlantis is some random asshole walking up to me saying "hey man I heard this lady from the bar say some dumb shit but I don't care, you know how it is" and then you get a prompt to go talk to the lady. I mean, what? I just landed on this planet, I don't know any of you. What the fuck are you talking about? Every time it's "random npc conveniently says something about a situation completely unrelated to you or anything that's happening" -> "go check out this situation". Again, archaic design.

The "NASA-punk" aesthetics are amazing. The style of the game is incredibly well done. It feels futuristic yet contemporary. The music is good but forgettable. The voice acting is solid, albeit a bit over the top at times. Combat is decent.

There are a lot of mechanics in place that give an illusion of depth, but there really isn't any. You fast-travel from location to location, one destination to another. The travel in between is completely removed.

It feels like I'm playing a game that should've been released 8 years ago. This doesn't feel good, man. Imagine playing Skyrim and your only option was to fast travel from objective to objective. If you remove the journey, how much of the game is actually left, truly
Based off of some of these impressions of the early access, the game ain't getting the kind of reception that Fallout 3 and Skyrim had. Leaning towards meh-ok to mix. It would not be a good scenario for Starfield if Baldur's Gate 3 and Cyberpunk: Phantom Liberty both end up having higher player counts on Steam than Starfield. It's a very competitive year for WRPGs and Starfield cannot afford to stumble out of the gate.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
A gaf review...

My five cents, with 12.5 hours of playtime I think it's fair to give some impressions. Might be a bit of a rant because I have a lot of feelings right now.

The more I play this the more its fundamentally flawed structure becomes apparent. It is both overwhelming and deeply unsatisfying. There are just so many mindbogglingly weird or straight up bad design decisions there's a chance this game will go down the MGSV route of incredible potential completely squandered by baffling design.

This game is the anti-immersive sim.

Some things that are just insane to me:

- There is no exploration. No adventure, no sense of wonder. You go in a menu, you press a button and you fast travel via a loading screen. Flying around in space is unrewarding and useless. You don't descend on a planet, you cannot fly around on a planet. Or otherwise move around on a planet. The tile based procedurally generated areas are terrible. I landed on the moon facing Earth because I wanted to see the sights and it just rendered some random area. Earth wasn't even in view. There was a mission where I had to save a dude from a crashed ship. I was on another planet in another system, I went into the menu, selected his location, clicked to go there, I got a loading screen and it literally spawned me right next to the guy with my ship 500 meters away. No travel cinematic, no landing sequence, it instantly warped me to a completely different system next to the objective. Just dreadfully bland design.
- The game knows there is no exploration or adventure because it tries to remove travel every way it can. You can fast-travel 500 meters from your ship and be in a completely different system one loading screen later. There's no feeling of being a part of the universe, everything feels extremely videogame-y. You can literally fast-travel to the front door of the Lodge from another system.
- New Atlantis' techno utopia seems impressive at first but after the initial "ooh" and "aah" wears off it is an incredibly badly designed area. It is immense, cumbersome to navigate (no map, lmao. How do you have this huge hub area and no map), has zero redeeming qualities other than nice vistas and on a meta level has terrible technical performance with framerates going from 50 to 20.
- The dialogue system is terrible and feels like I'm playing Skyrim, only not in a good way. The way the camera is positioned, the hard cuts to people talking, the bizarre way companions look straight at you even when talking to someone else. It's a system from two generations ago with almost zero improvements. When you're in space and another ship hails you, it zooms in on the ship as if the ship is talking, lmao. Would it really kill you to add a screen to the cockpit where you see someone else talking to you? This game was in development for like 8 years, for fucks sake. Where's the immersion? I just don't understand how this happens.
- Literally every mission is a fetch quest. You go somewhere, flip a switch or shoot the place up, get some info or talk to someone to get a new location, rinse and repeat. Aggressively mediocre game design.

The way it dunks sidequests on you is hilarious. Literally every quest in New Atlantis is some random asshole walking up to me saying "hey man I heard this lady from the bar say some dumb shit but I don't care, you know how it is" and then you get a prompt to go talk to the lady. I mean, what? I just landed on this planet, I don't know any of you. What the fuck are you talking about? Every time it's "random npc conveniently says something about a situation completely unrelated to you or anything that's happening" -> "go check out this situation". Again, archaic design.

The "NASA-punk" aesthetics are amazing. The style of the game is incredibly well done. It feels futuristic yet contemporary. The music is good but forgettable. The voice acting is solid, albeit a bit over the top at times. Combat is decent.

There are a lot of mechanics in place that give an illusion of depth, but there really isn't any. You fast-travel from location to location, one destination to another. The travel in between is completely removed.

It feels like I'm playing a game that should've been released 8 years ago. This doesn't feel good, man. Imagine playing Skyrim and your only option was to fast travel from objective to objective. If you remove the journey, how much of the game is actually left, truly
I've never been interested in playing it & I know it's shit from the gameplay I've seen anyone that thinks it's any better than meh is sucking todd Howard's / Phil Spencers cocktail sausage

Reactions: riesgoyfortuna

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The awesome coop alone should have put it higher. It's a 90 game for me, I enjoyed both campaign and online, I mean I got the plat!!! That world is gorgeous too puts campaign worlds to shame and combat oh lawwwd so much fun
Yeah Ghost of Tsushima was robbed, 83 is too low for that game. Imo it's better than Horizon Zero Dawn, their scores should be reversed.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Yeah Ghost of Tsushima was robbed, 83 is too low for that game. Imo it's better than Horizon Zero Dawn, their scores should be reversed.

Funny, I was playing Ghost yesterday and remembered all the BS thrown at the game by reviewers, like Gene Pack lowering the score just because the devs are not Japanese. It turns out, japan adored the game.

It is one of the best games out there.

Crow

Banned
15 Jul 2023
It should had good WOM if not Xbox marketing hyped it to undelivering levels.

It was all question of perspective… and Bethesda will now experience how bad Xbox do to games.

If Bethesda was still independent then it should be a good launch in an amazing year for gamers.
if Bethesda was still independent this game would of been forced out the door. Making it a buggy mess so no...

Crow

Banned
15 Jul 2023
It is still a buggy mess, so yea barely anything changes, except for maybe, more astroturfing.
No its not lol. Their are bugs in the game but no where near a buggy mess like their usual games. Every game has bugs.

• fire
Reactions: Snes nes

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Returnal alone is better than the whole MS gaming library.
You just lost any credibility you had left.
Also, Starfield offers nothing new: it rips Mass effect, NMS, the outer worlds and fallout, while badly stitching it together, providing a very unpolished experience.
It's not unpolished at all. Credibility? I didn't know I had to impress a bunch of haters of MS. I'm glad to have lost credibility if that's the case. Returnal? lol. You could have come up with a better looking like R&C. That's the best looking game on the PS5 to date.

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
No its not lol. Their are bugs in the game but no where near a buggy mess like their usual games. Every game has bugs.
Of course this game is the worst piece of junk that MS has put out! It's buggy as hell, has PS3-style graphics, has no advanced AI for enemies, it's a MS exclusive, and it's the worst game to come out from Bethesda! How dare you say anything good about that game let alone compare it to ANY Sony exclusive! We'll ban you for your heresy!

/s

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Crow

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Look at these PS3 graphics!! What a horrible looking game!

6RszHiU.jpg

2NO7JPO.jpg

3URNngt.jpg

5iMyFSU.jpg

d4EqPCi.jpg

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
It's not unpolished at all. Credibility? I didn't know I had to impress a bunch of haters of MS. I'm glad to have lost credibility if that's the case. Returnal? lol. You could have come up with a better looking like R&C. That's the best looking game on the PS5 to date.
So shit HDR, no brightness slider, no FOV slider. The game run as well as a Corolla 1973 with 3 cyliders.

There is already a bunch of bugs complication on Twitter so don't need to lie lol.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
How dare people disrespect Returnal. That game made me feel like riding a rollecoaster, pure adrenaline.

Easily one of the best experiences this gen has to offer yet. Thrilling gameplay at its purest form.

But it’s understandable some people can’t handle it.